Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

You sure about this? People know Iowa was sketch, but we can’t do anything about it.

We can choose to not vote or write in Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Eric Swalwell is on CNN pumping for Bloomberg LOL

Can’t believe our first millennial presidential candidate would betray mayor Pete like this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If Bernie doesn't devour Pete, Bloomberg will do it for us. I assure you.

Unless Bloomberg gets behind Mayo Pete since they are pretty much cut from the same cloth.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

fondue posted:

Isn't momentum how Bill Clinton got the nomination? When he started his campaign he was some no-name governor from Arkansas. He lost Iowa and during the New Hampshire campaign his affair with Flowers came out. Despite losing NH he spun the Flowers affair into a prime-time apology and then swept the south.

I imagine this is why Biden thinks Iowa and New Hampshire aren't a big deal; Clinton swept the south and if Biden can do that he can use the momentum to carry him to the nomination.

Paul Tsongas had the most momentum going into Super Tuesday if you're going by the metric of winning early states. But the thing is that no one besides Clinton had won any states convincingly through Super Tuesday. Clinton won most of his states by 50%+ of the vote, while Tsongas had been the only other one to do that, with one state.

But the problem with Biden trying to do the Clinton thing is that Biden is currently under-performing. Sanders over-performed in Iowa with the demographics that Biden needs in NV and SC. If Sanders takes either of those states from Biden, he won't recover, because he's also not going to trounce anyone on Super Tuesday.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

fondue posted:

I imagine this is why Biden thinks Iowa and New Hampshire aren't a big deal; Clinton swept the south and if Biden can do that he can use the momentum to carry him to the nomination.

Bill Clinton was an incredible politician who already had a ton of support in the South and a strong logistical operation in 1992. He didn't just magically sweep to victory because of a second place finish in NH, and the whole "comeback kid" deal was brilliant marketing rather than the kind of momentum-effect that anyone in this thread is talking about. Pete is... not a brilliant marketer.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mcmagic posted:

Unless Bloomberg gets behind Mayo Pete since they are pretty much scooped from the same jar

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

mcmagic posted:

Trump didn't have any campaign apparatus. You can win through the media pumping you.

The media was not pumping Trump during the primaries. At all. The GOP was still very much knives out at him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paradoxish posted:

Bill Clinton was an incredible politician who already had a ton of support in the South and a strong logistical operation in 1992. He didn't just magically sweep to victory because of a second place finish in NH, and the whole "comeback kid" deal was brilliant marketing rather than the kind of momentum-effect that anyone in this thread is talking about. Pete is... not a brilliant marketer.

It's loving sickening but the fact that a guy with literally no political accomplishments or platform could be neck and neck with the Bernie movement in IA that has been all over the state for 2 years is pretty impressive.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

mcmagic posted:

It's loving sickening but the fact that a guy with literally no political accomplishments or platform could be neck and neck with the Bernie movement in IA that has been all over the state for 2 years is pretty impressive.

Pete also put quite a most of his chips in the Iowa basket, and the demographic makeup was already in his favor.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
For the people freaking out over the Suffolk poll that had Bernie only 1 point up on Pete, Suffolk was the 2nd least accurate pollster in Iowa:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1225763659391086595

And their last poll for Iowa had Biden 25, Sanders 19, Pete 18

As for the Bill Clinton comparisons, Bill Clinton was the governor of Arkansas running against the former governor of CA and senator of MA. He lost Iowa to Tom Harkin, the senator from Iowa, and was a close second to Tsongas (the senator of MA) in NH. He then proceeded to win every single southern state.

Any comparisons to Buttigieg or Biden are preposterous.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mcmagic posted:

He's literally being buoyed by the Deep State, dude. He has huge connections.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Unless Bloomberg gets behind Mayo Pete since they are pretty much cut from the same cloth.

My dude, Bloomberg has spent almost half a billion dollars on ads that say "Vote for Bloomberg" in all 14 Super Tuesday states. And ads loving work. So half the cheese-brains are going to vote Pete because CNN says so, and half are going to vote Bloomberg because Bloomberg said so. It is way too loving late to turn this boat around.

Here's the reality: I'd say there is a more than even chance of bringing this to a contested convention. Will the democrats rat-gently caress Bernie there? Maybe. Maybe they'll try and fail. Again. But there's so many more things we as a people can do to take the power back, specifically a general strike. If Bernie Sanders gets on the mic and tells us that we all need to strike, I bet about 1 in 10 people would do that for as long as possible. If the democratic party fucks him again, we will have the popular support, the will of the people to act outside of the electoral system and take the power back from the plutocrats.

But let's cross that bridge when we get to it. For now, here's the most portentous band in modern history shutting down the stock exchange with nothing but music and Michael Moore's camera crew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl4wkIPiTcY

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hail

Satan

:tviv:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Most people who would vote for the last guy they saw on television are not going to vote.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Most people who would vote for the last guy they saw on television are not going to vote.

Olds go out and vote because there is nothing else to do

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
This tracks with Dem gains in educated, suburban districts in 2018. It bodes well for the centrists, who have performed well in those districts.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1225806317740285952

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not worried about the lack of huge youth boost in Iowa at all. It's an archaic process designed to shut out Sanders' base. If you're crowing about a 16% participation rate that goes up or down a fraction of a percent, the system's hosed.

oxsnard posted:

Olds go out and vote because there is nothing else to do
A bunch of old white people were already going to vote for Not Bernie; who cares?

I'm more worried about outright fraud in the primaries than I am by anyone "legitimately" beating out Sanders.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mcmagic posted:

White voters are dumbasses.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The dem establishment is easily stupider then all the idiots the Goonswarm rolled on its way up. I reckon Mittens may well be able to well and truly gently caress with them in Winsconsin, in either primary or general.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

StratGoatCom posted:

The dem establishment is easily stupider then all the idiots the Goonswarm rolled on its way up. I reckon Mittens may well be able to well and truly gently caress with them in Winsconsin, in either primary or general.

this is the crossover content i'm here for

just let me know when to cut the power to the titan pilot's home

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fondue posted:

Isn't momentum how Bill Clinton got the nomination? When he started his campaign he was some no-name governor from Arkansas. He lost Iowa and during the New Hampshire campaign his affair with Flowers came out. Despite losing NH he spun the Flowers affair into a prime-time apology and then swept the south.

Didn't he sweep the South because he was a southern governor who wasn't above pandering to Dixiecrat racists that wanted to go back to being the party of George Wallace?

Not sure there are enough of those people left in the southern Democratic Party for that to work again, even though that's Buttigieg's lane with all that "I don't want your vote" "black people are homophobes" stuff. Buttigieg will have to rig it like he did Iowa.

Private Witt
Feb 21, 2019
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1225817466045190145

This is an interesting dynamic looming in the race, because I think it is pretty likely that Buttigieg, if he had the same familiarity as Biden and Bernie, would poll as the best candidate against Trump.

Pete demonstrated some Bernie-type strength in bringing new caucus-goers to the polls, and won like all of the counties in Iowa that went Obama/Obama/Trump.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Private Witt posted:

This is an interesting dynamic looming in the race, because I think it is pretty likely that Buttigieg, if he had the same familiarity as Biden and Bernie, would poll as the best candidate against Trump.

Pete demonstrated some Bernie-type strength in bringing new caucus-goers to the polls, and won like all of the counties in Iowa that went Obama/Obama/Trump.

who gives a gently caress about Iowa lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pete would get absolutely demolished in the general.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

You sure about this? People know Iowa was sketch, but we can’t do anything about it.

I meant that they will definitely lose the general harder than 2016 if they steal the nomination again.

I agree that we probably won't stop the theft from happening if they decide to do it. We couldn't stop it in 68 and there is less appetite for direct action now than there was then.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Pete would get absolutely demolished in the general.

imagine him debating trump

"Patriotism is the promise of future realities tempered by our hope for today"

"This man is a rat-faced alfred e neuman freak. it's disgusting looking at him"

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 7, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My theory on Bloomberg and Steyer is that money can buy support, but the kind of support it buys is the Joe Biden "yeah I know that dude" soft-as-poo poo variety. It will hold with a voter absent any other information but will collapse when poo poo gets real and other candidates come to town.

I'm looking forward to South Carolina's Steyer surge testing this theory.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Private Witt posted:

Great visual argument for why Iowa should not be the first state to determine the candidate.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Has anyone received anything they ordered or were rewarded from Bernie's campaign? I placed an order a couple months ago, and I was meant to be sent a couple sticker rewards, so far received zilch.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

kidkissinger posted:

imagine him debating trump

"Patriotism is the promise of future realities tempered by our hope for today"

"This man is a ra-faced alfred e neuman freak. it's disgusting looking at him"

If nothing else, this is what it will come down to. Bernie and Bloomberg are the only ones who understand how to actually attack and debate Trump. Butt is gonna try to triangulate and be the "youthful face" and get loving wrecked.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
This is maybe a silly question. I know it's illegal to buy votes directly, but is it illegal to buy endorsements?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xombie posted:

The media was not pumping Trump during the primaries.

They absolutely were what are you talking about.

How many times did they play that escalator clip alone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My theory on Bloomberg and Steyer is that money can buy support, but the kind of support it buys is the Joe Biden "yeah I know that dude" soft-as-poo poo variety. It will hold with a voter absent any other information but will collapse when poo poo gets real and other candidates come to town.

Has there been any South Carolina polling post-Iowa? I'm curious to see if Biden's collapse is feeding Steyer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This is maybe a silly question. I know it's illegal to buy votes directly, but is it illegal to buy endorsements?

Since our courts are dumb as hell you can bribe someone as long as you don't literally say "this is a bribe".

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

just let me know when to cut the power to the titan pilot's home

please tell me this is a thing that happened.

reading about eve is more fun than playing it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Technically the MSM was not boosting Trump, they just gave him a billion dollars worth of free publicity.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

This "Yeah I know that dude" variety is identical to the bump that Pete is getting right now. The whole country is wondering who the gently caress he is, being the only candidate anyone really knows now. And Pete's about to get eaten alive on national television tonight.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not worried about the lack of huge youth boost in Iowa at all. It's an archaic process designed to shut out Sanders' base. If you're crowing about a 16% participation rate that goes up or down a fraction of a percent, the system's hosed.

Well, you shouldn't be worried because there was a huge youth boost:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/02/06/how-age-gap-iowa-caucuses-shifted-since-2016/

18-24 was 10% of the participants in 2016, 16% in 2020. 18-49 were 42% of participants in 2016 and 53% in 2020.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

VitalSigns posted:

Didn't he sweep the South because he was a southern governor who wasn't above pandering to Dixiecrat racists that wanted to go back to being the party of George Wallace?

Not sure there are enough of those people left in the southern Democratic Party for that to work again, even though that's Buttigieg's lane with all that "I don't want your vote" "black people are homophobes" stuff. Buttigieg will have to rig it like he did Iowa.

A significant amount of voters in the south are black. Clinton was extremely popular with them.

edit: Here's some stats. In some southern states, black people make up a full third to almost half of the Democratic primary voters. Clinton was getting 75-80% of them.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/1992-bill-clinton-builds-winning-coalition-jackson-diminished-n1029606

Xombie fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Bloomberg basically did this by giving new mayors in big cities money and some bootcamp training thing