Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

I agree. I'm complaining about the weird characterization in the thread.

I do agree that "let's just give her a PhD because then we get to say Naomi Wolf got her PhD from us" sounds like a likely hypothesis. Which sucks, because there are good women who've done and are doing PhD's in history, and literary studies, and women's studies, and queer theory, and all of those! She's just not one of them, but gets way more exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Giggle verified me just fine and I get clocked by Mr. Magoo so kinda skeptical about their fancy sciencing

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Giggle verified me just fine and I get clocked by Mr. Magoo so kinda skeptical about their fancy sciencing

Going to go out on a limb here and say that the gender phrenology is more just race phrenology and it's PoC who struggle to get verified.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Teaching orphans how to weave baskets and code so they wouldn’t sell feet pics on Snapchat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Inceltown posted:

Going to go out on a limb here and say that the gender phrenology is more just race phrenology and it's PoC who struggle to get verified.

As everyone knows, women have pale skin, narrow noses, blue eyes, and long straight hair.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brawnfire posted:

As everyone knows, women have pale skin, narrow noses, blue eyes, and long straight hair.

They also go into a trance for four hours in lieu of sleep, and cannot be put to sleep by magic.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Inceltown posted:

A psych here in Australia has been struck off the register for being a Q nutter. He's not taking it well at all.

https://twitter.com/KillAuDeepState/status/1225589372839325696

For anyone who didn't follow this to the end, and why would you, he went 51 posts deep. This isn't a joke thread where it skips 20 posts to make the count higher. He's definitely not mad online, you're mad.

https://twitter.com/KillAuDeepState/status/1225610859432407041

Using the MAGA / POTUS hashtag in Australia is always a good sign that you've just adopted wholesale poo poo that doesn't even relate to you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/nypdtransit/status/1225548557203202049?s=21

“The video doesn’t show the whole incident” claims the chief train pig who thinks jumping a $2.75 turnstile she didn’t even need to pay makes it ok for the other train pig to push a child around.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Inceltown posted:

It's a marketing gimmick, not a race war.

The critical thing for a social network to work is to get as many people as possible to sign up. The gender phrenology is just a gimmick to get people to sign up and try the app. Nobody at the company actually cares if 70% of their users end up being dudes who cleverly fooled the app, that just makes the number of users look bigger to impress advertisers. They can ban the ones who are obvious/creepy later.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I have degrees in both phrenology and phreneronomy

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

More like oldcrainiotomyless

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Facebook Aunt posted:

The critical thing for a social network to work is to get as many people as possible to sign up. The gender phrenology is just a gimmick to get people to sign up and try the app. Nobody at the company actually cares if 70% of their users end up being dudes who cleverly fooled the app, that just makes the number of users look bigger to impress advertisers. They can ban the ones who are obvious/creepy later.

But they won't. Because that would require human moderation, which cuts into their VC funds.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They also go into a trance for four hours in lieu of sleep, and cannot be put to sleep by magic.

Giggle is a Shadowrun corp, I see.

Also, racial nonsense needn't be intentional to have deleterious effects. Not that "can't use Giggle" is much of a downside.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Polyseme posted:

Giggle is a Shadowrun corp, I see.

Also, racial nonsense needn't be intentional to have deleterious effects. Not that "can't use Giggle" is much of a downside.

Yeah, a lot of early facial recognition software couldn't recognize black people, because the engineers tested it on themselves and they were all white and Asian.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm guessing part of their plan is to sell the facial data.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Someone needs to make some sort of program that auto screencaps assholes twitter so they cant delete thier bullshit.

Some sort of dumb bitch watch.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Hihohe posted:

Someone needs to make some sort of program that auto screencaps assholes twitter so they cant delete thier bullshit.

Some sort of dumb bitch watch.

taking pictures of every post on twitter might take a lot of storage space

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

T-man posted:

You could always just store the tweet data and then spoof up a screenshot as required. Any which way it's still a lot of work.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
I am honestly surprised that the giggle thing didn't turn out to be a scam of "prove your sex by sending us a picture of your boobs for access"

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Technocrat posted:

I am honestly surprised that the giggle thing didn't turn out to be a scam of "prove your sex by sending us a picture of your boobs for access"

no, you're thinking of jiggle

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

pretty sure giggle is just doing a mechanical turk. it would be so much cheaper than any kind of machine learning

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
VAGINA BONES DETECTED

WELCOME, HUMAN FEMALE

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

LordSaturn posted:

pretty sure giggle is just doing a mechanical turk. it would be so much cheaper than any kind of machine learning

Either their workers aren't giving a gently caress or their AI is poo poo because at least one dudely goon has managed to fool the system.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

T-man posted:

Just have a ratio detection system

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, a lot of early facial recognition software couldn't recognize black people, because the engineers tested it on themselves and they were all white and Asian.

Not even Asian, otherwise several camera manufacturers wouldn’t have had the “your eyes are closed” problem.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
amazing self own

https://twitter.com/RootLeftNews/status/1225721252054257664?s=19

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

nerdz posted:

amazing self own
The Sistine Chapel of self owns tbh :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The LGB Alliance's founder has a new hot-take: trans people are to blame for a rising star in Scottish politics (so much so he was touted as the next First Minister) grooming a teenager:

https://twitter.com/TwisterFilm/status/1225471996701609984
https://twitter.com/threadreaderapp/status/1225511874910924800

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I find it heartening that terfs are this terrified of trans kids having rights. Scotland must be doing something right.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

(A)lways (B)e s(C)reencapping

Always Be ‘Cappin

Come on

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hmmm, once admired, now an unlikable nut. Must be about me!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I find it heartening that terfs are this terrified of trans kids having rights. Scotland must be doing something right.

The Scottish National Party sadly has a massive institutional transphobia problem and has been kicking GRA reform into the long grass. :smith:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Mike2020/status/1225566201079848960

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TinTower posted:

The LGB Alliance's founder has a new hot-take: trans people are to blame for a rising star in Scottish politics (so much so he was touted as the next First Minister) grooming a teenager:

https://twitter.com/TwisterFilm/status/1225471996701609984
https://twitter.com/threadreaderapp/status/1225511874910924800

That Thread Reader account is infuriating. I don't understand why people use it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:bernchloe:

Edit: Content

https://twitter.com/bret_jensen/status/1225806179571523586

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Feb 7, 2020

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:allears: I'm not even American (not that you have to be), and I can see that this doesn't show what he wants it to.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

According to some random person, from the lgbtq+ community, asexuals are not opressed enough, so we are not valid. Being raped, coersed to unwanted sex, and so on, isn't enough.

Also some people hate that we aren't sexually active for some reason :shrug:

I feel as though there is a lot to unpack here re: using the victims sexuality to quantify the harm caused by rape. It's not clear if the random person is the one doing that or the one not doing that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

"They just aren't oppressed enough!" *proceeds to mock them and dismiss their lived experiences and concerns*

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Tumbler people turn on each other over the weirdest poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Field Mousepad posted:

Tumbler people turn on each other over the weirdest poo poo.

I think it's the same as nerd gatekeeping. When all you have for your identity is your fandom/sexuality/illness, you get real mad when you think other people are co-opting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah I fall on the side of asexuals absolutely welcome, with the caveat that if you're gatekeeping you're not really helping the wider community. We're stronger together than apart, and I'm uncomfortable with saying a certain threshold of pain needs to be objectively reached to be queer.

You start going down that path, you get people cutting out trans people because it's not about sexuality, or bi people because they can 'pass', or whatever stupid poo poo. No thanks.