Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Mass cordone: code bleu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

unrelated to the flu but that looks like a nice waterfront park

looking at wuhan on google maps and it looks nice! lots of parks and pedestrian plazas, which is more than you can say about almost any major US city

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dog Toothbrush posted:

the whole “criticism of the government is racist” thing reminds me a lot of criticism of Israel being categorized as anti Semitic, it can be but it isn’t always

I'm not saying criticizing the government is racist, and tbh while I think some of the misinformation may be being spread due to racism, I think it's more that a lot of people have vested interests in depicting China as a country, and especially China as a communist country, as a totalitarian dystopia that doesn't care about its citizens' well-being, and people who want to spread that message are seizing on the coronavirus as a perfect crisis to spread that message by exaggerating the truth and amplifying often-false claims about China's supposed callous treatment of sick people. There are absolutely things to criticize about the way this crisis has been handled, like the long delay between first infections and response, and the attempts to quiet whistleblowers about the disease instead of listening to them, but I don't think that means we need to believe every random unsourced rumour and tweet claiming that Chinese soldiers in hazmat gear are abducting people off the street or going door-to-door taking people's temperatures at gunpoint.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Polo-Rican posted:

unrelated to the flu but that looks like a nice waterfront park

looking at wuhan on google maps and it looks nice! lots of parks and pedestrian plazas, which is more than you can say about almost any major US city

this is the unironic upside of mass insane alcoholism, the public authorities recognize that people get too pissed to drive

if Wisconsin had proper cities they’d look like Asian ones and Moscow, proper public transit and all

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1225379327082160130

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

where are all the dead bodies though

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I think it's more that a lot of people have vested interests in depicting China as a country, and especially China as a communist country, as a totalitarian dystopia that doesn't care about its citizens' well-being

Yeah, these twitter accounts are mostly operated by Chinese expats who harbor resentment towards the CCP. This sentiment is also popular within China, but people don't say it out loud. China has absolutely massive numbers of users in social media. The videos you see posted on Twitter are the same videos that are being circulated in Weibo, WeChat and other Chinese sites.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao how the predicts show the peak infections are still a month away along with epicenters potentially showing up in other countries.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

etalian posted:

lmao how the predicts show the peak infections are still a month away along with epicenters potentially showing up in other countries.

Peaks are still month(s) away even in most Chinese provinces. Even Wubei hasn't peaked yet.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

https://mobile.twitter.com/EfficientTrader/status/1225706680932917248

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Feral Integral posted:

There was some lady being interviewed on npr yesterday saying pretty much that you u shouldnt do mass quarentine. Sounded convincing. Its also the opposite of what a lot of ops in this topic are saying so that also lends it some credibility

Edit: cause destroying the populations trust is worse than implementing good contact tracing and hygiene awareness and,poo poo

the literature is pretty clear that mass quarantine doesn't work and in fact makes things worse

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

vyelkin posted:

I'm not saying criticizing the government is racist, and tbh while I think some of the misinformation may be being spread due to racism, I think it's more that a lot of people have vested interests in depicting China as a country, and especially China as a communist country, as a totalitarian dystopia that doesn't care about its citizens' well-being, and people who want to spread that message are seizing on the coronavirus as a perfect crisis to spread that message by exaggerating the truth and amplifying often-false claims about China's supposed callous treatment of sick people. There are absolutely things to criticize about the way this crisis has been handled, like the long delay between first infections and response, and the attempts to quiet whistleblowers about the disease instead of listening to them, but I don't think that means we need to believe every random unsourced rumour and tweet claiming that Chinese soldiers in hazmat gear are abducting people off the street or going door-to-door taking people's temperatures at gunpoint.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The supply chain disruption is going to be pretty crazy especially when it spreads other major cities or spreads to places like S Korea / Taiwan.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Demand for masks, gowns, gloves and other protective gear has risen by up to 100 times and prices have soared due to the China coronavirus, producing a “severe” disruption in supply, World Health Organisation chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is reported as saying by Reuters.

“This situation is exacerbated by widespread use of personal protective equipment outside patient care,” he told reporters in Geneva, adding that he had spoken to manufacturers and distributors to ensure supplies for those who need them.

He also said he could see practices like hoarding in order to ensure higher prices and called for solidarity from the public and private sector

y'all preppers are loving up the healthcare supply chain

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

y'all preppers are loving up the healthcare supply chain

They're very very scared, and that's ok

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I’m sort of imagining it’s also the actual Chinese too lol

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Singapore infection map
https://sgwuhan.xose.net/

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

so is shenzhen definitely locked down and is anyone still working there cause that could really gently caress up the economy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

He also said he could see practices like hoarding in order to ensure higher prices and called for solidarity from the public and private sector

lol too fuckin' bad y'all are living under capitalism

triple sulk posted:

so is shenzhen definitely locked down and is anyone still working there cause that could really gently caress up the economy

we had a call center in Chongqing close last week and I expect the Shenzen one is gonna go pretty soon too

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

triple sulk posted:

never fear lol, capitalism is on the case

quote:

Foxconn, the electronics company that supplies Apple, has begun manufacturing its own surgical masks, allowing Chinese workers to churn out iPhones uninterrupted as the coronavirus crisis continues.

The Taiwanese company’s production lines have been shut down because of the disruption caused by the outbreak, slowing down the supply chain that feeds Apple’s global retail network.

However, in a statement released via the Chinese social media platform WeChat, Foxconn said it hoped to get around the problem by switching some of its own production lines to make masks, for its own staff and to supply the soaring global demand for them.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/07/foxconn-makes-masks-for-its-iphone-workers-amid-coronavirus-crisis-apple

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

we had a call center in Chongqing close last week and I expect the Shenzen one is gonna go pretty soon too

One of my co-workers had a freak-out this week since his small business sources everything from China.

Got notified that all the factories that makes parts and materials are shutting down this week.

:capitalism:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

South Korea has gone ahead with their mass wedding of 6000 couples.

I wonder how awkward it is for the couples where one of them brought a mask to wear but the other didn't.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the moonies are not all of South Korea lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

vyelkin posted:

god bless

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

vyelkin posted:

they should repurpose the suicide nets with n95 material mesh

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CODChimera posted:

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that viruses quickly dissolve the bodies they inhabit after death.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the bodies are all locked in weird metal boxes or welded into their homes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dog Toothbrush posted:

if doctors think this is as bad as a seasonal flu why are flights getting cancelled and people getting rounded up and transported to stadium “hospitals”

like, is it not that bad, or is it really bad and us racist westerners just can’t understand shutting down whole cities for seasonal flu 2, which is it

if you or i get it theres very little chance of death but if we have it theres very high chance of everyone in town having it which means thousands of people with pulmonary issues will be in the icu and many will die.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
so the overwhelmed hospitals in China, all those people had pre existing pulmonary issues?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dog Toothbrush posted:

so the overwhelmed hospitals in China, all those people had pre existing pulmonary issues?

china is a world leader in smog and smoking

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its a highly communicable disease, much higher than anything seasonal and it kills a fair share of people - a small % but a big number given the rate of infection. if its still doubling every few days china is going to have thousands of deaths from this and after loving up the sars response they need to seem like they have this poo poo on lock or risk more dissent

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dog Toothbrush posted:

well in general the flu type virus tend to be much more lethal to people with weaker immune systems or have other pre-existing medical conditions.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

In the river

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that viruses quickly dissolve the bodies they inhabit after death.

All part of the plan, as their alien doppelganger takes their place. Xi had been an alien all along, and we are seeing his plan to replace humanity in action.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You don't see bodies because they are melting them to make new n95 masks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's scary because it's a few with chinese characteristics.

Hence it can only be solved by Chinese response such as welding apartment doors shut or accusing medical experts of sedition / spreading disharmony.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

All part of the plan, as their alien doppelganger takes their place. Xi had been an alien all along, and we are seeing his plan to replace humanity in action.
Only the lizard people can save us.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

#BelieveTrump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dog Toothbrush posted: