Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Flat earth ice wall makes a lot of sense if you start from the assumption that the earth is flat. Gotta have something to keep the water in. And the concave earth is more complicated.

Problem with that is the stars.
How do the stars look different to everyone in the southern hemisphere than in the north if they are on a flat circle?
The outer ring sees one set of stars, while the inner one sees a different set.
Then again Jews came from space. Not kidding, this is an actual theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Sigh.

https://twitter.com/JonnElledge/status/1225840132005253126?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

How do the stars look different to everyone in the southern hemisphere than in the north if they are on a flat circle?

Stars are glued to the firmament and as you move around on the disc they parallax.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What difference does it make to me what shape the earth is?

Life plays out the same whether it's round, flat, or a solipsist bubble of personal experience.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is this part of all the weirdos having conniptions about the idea of "people shouldn't have to be at work if they're not supposed to be at work"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

It's not like there's a kachunk noise as you pass the equator and a new set of stars is loaded up into the celestial projector. If you assume the stars are very dim and only a short distance above you you can actually come up with a reasonable explanation about why you see different stars as you move around. It doesn't actually stand up to even the slightest scrutiny or analysis but your average layman would struggle really hard to explain exactly *why*.

quote:

Mel Brooks proving as prescient as ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAZhtT-dUyo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

Life plays out the same whether it's round, flat, or a solipsist bubble of personal experience.
History would play out a bit different if people just fell off when they tried to reach the antipodes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Well on a flat Earth pissed students at UCL would never be able to find their way back to their digs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

History would play out a bit different if people just fell off when they tried to reach the antipodes.

Gor still exists but it's just on the underside of the planet.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I watched "behind the curve" which is about flat earthers and it was a mixed experience of frustration, hilarity and just despair

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Welcome to a world called Gorteng! *cracks windhoek*

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/RaynerSkyNews/status/1225791448936828928?s=20

Reasons not clear yet but Jo Bird (who is Jewish) was suspended (and later reinstated) last year for saying "Jew process" during a speech as a sort of pun on "due process".

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 7, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Borrovan posted:

Yeah honestly I agree with this (& what Guava said earlier on), but since I'm not gonna be the one on the receiving end of Nandy's weird tangent I'm just giving my 3rd pref vote to Miftan because his opinions on the subject are more important than mine

u can say "cock" here it's fine

Thanks by the way

ThomasPaine posted:

Both RLB and Nandy believe in something, even if you disagree with what that represents (as I do in the latter's case). Starmer is popular amongst ghouls because he's controllable, doesn't much believe in anything, and will dance to the tune of the (mostly Tory) media, which in the long run would probably be more dangerous than having an out and out Blue Labour type in charge for a bit. We'd also never in a million years win with a Blairite in charge, see Ed Miliband.

On balance Nandy gets a begrudging preference over Starmer for me, but RLB is way ahead of either.

I think I agree with this, which is also why I think that while Nandy will be shitter to immigrants, Starmer is more likely to be poo poo to trans people and regarding other moral panic inducing bullshit, so I'm not going to begrudge anyone who puts Nandy over Starmer. They can both, in theory, win an election. I just think it's a matter of who they're going to throw under the bus to do it (obviously in addition to the left and the poorest in society).

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Philip Schofield is gay

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Junior G-man posted:

Honestly the number of people in the UK who know what the Trilateral Commission is is so negligible that it won't make a difference. You'd have to explain to them why it's bad first and then you gotta talk Kissinger and most people don't know who he is either.

It's a bad look but not a winner for the leadership.

I think more than a negligible number of people have played Deus Ex, G.

E; I love flat earth conspiracies because it's both hilarious in itself, but also, what possible benefit is there to anyone for perpetrating it? Ok, the Earth is flat instead of round. That matters tremendously to some fields, but for most of us it's irrelevant. We'd just be scoffing at spherical Earth conspiracy theorists instead.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 7, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Ms Adequate posted:

E; I love flat earth conspiracies because it's both hilarious in itself, but also, what possible benefit is there to anyone for perpetrating it? Ok, the Earth is flat instead of round. That matters tremendously to some fields, but for most of us it's irrelevant. We'd just be scoffing at spherical Earth conspiracy theorists instead.
It's NASA, and the NWO, to siphon off space travel and research funding to spend on shady poo poo, and to keep people in the dark to exert control. Friend of a friend is a flat earther, we got him on the phone once for an impromptu ama.

Personal favourite:
:v:"What about gravity?"
:tinfoil:"The earth is actually continually moving upwards at an exponentially increasing rate of acceleration, causing an effect that looks like gravity, and the theory of relativity is part of the conspiracy"
:v:"What about tides then?"
:tinfoil:"Oh gravity does exist, but only on the moon, which is what causes tides. Not on Earth, because it's flat."
:suicide:

e: they've actually got a pretty good flat earth wiki with all of their batshit nonsense on, but it seems to be inaccessible for some reason :tinfoil:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/IainDale/status/105427604978417664?s=20

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Got recommended this video by youtube, not finished with it yet but it's interesting. About boomers stealing their kids futures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuXzvjBYW8A

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

His Divine Shadow posted:

Got recommended this video by youtube, not finished with it yet but it's interesting. About boomers stealing their kids futures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuXzvjBYW8A

The focus on the age groupings really missing something vital - that the inequality between the age groups is the same as the inequality within the boomer generation. Things like the triple lock have really helped lessen pensioner poverty and the rates of home ownership do all make a huge impact on the lives and expenditure of the elderly but when talking about who owns everything it's still very much the 1% rather than the elderly. It's really really important to keep stressing that because the solution of 'genocide the olds' isn't actually just or a solution to the inequality.

Really the most intriguing part is the proposed remedy at the end, it's totally insufficient rubbish but shows how the Tory mindset looks at this and tries to deal with it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ash Crimson posted:

Philip Schofield is gay

so what

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ash Crimson posted:

Philip Schofield is gay

Well he was in a closet (broom cupboard) for the first few years.

Joke for the oldies that one.

I'm here all week folks.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

So what is Schofield? A wolf? a skunk (silver hunk)?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

Still a useful idiot.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ratjaculation posted:

A Tory dickhead.

In other news, David Aaranovitch got caught by a "sophisticated scam".

https://twitter.com/centristwonk/status/1225880546850615296?s=20

Far be it from me to call him credulous.

E: lol

https://twitter.com/JohnJCrace/status/1225880795774148609?s=20

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 7, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Still going to be voting RLB at th election. I really hope that we win this one and also that Bernie wins in the USA.

This months been hard, but I also wanted to say thank you to all the folks who when I was feeling down two years ago were there for me. I still have your messages saved and you are all awesome.

Keep fighting comrades. We have a world to win.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

I think I agree with this, which is also why I think that while Nandy will be shitter to immigrants, Starmer is more likely to be poo poo to trans people and regarding other moral panic inducing bullshit, so I'm not going to begrudge anyone who puts Nandy over Starmer. They can both, in theory, win an election. I just think it's a matter of who they're going to throw under the bus to do it (obviously in addition to the left and the poorest in society).
I think Nandy will be vocally shitter about immigrants, which is bad and fuels hate crime. But a Starmer technocratic melt cabinet in the Blair tradition but in a post-Brexit economy has the potential to be worse in terms of material impact, which is bad and fuels hate crime.

It's whether you want the malice of "British jobs for British people with British values" and some possible good economics, or the incompetence of Starmer looking sad while things continue to get worse and the Sun runs front pages that are just the n-word repeated over and over, which is where I expect they'll be by 2025.

Or RLB, of course.

I agree on the Starmer moral panic stuff, but I can imagine Nandy bringing up a few of her own. I guess the important distinction is which moral panics each group will drum up.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
at least you have some decent lookers running

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

WhatEvil posted:

A Tory dickhead.

So a Bear?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhatEvil posted:

In other news, David Aaranovitch got caught by a "sophisticated scam".

https://twitter.com/centristwonk/status/1225880546850615296?s=20

Far be it from me to call him credulous.

E: lol

https://twitter.com/JohnJCrace/status/1225880795774148609?s=20
Does anyone know his usual walk? I have a label printer at work and some lanyards, could do a believable wallet inspector.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Does anyone know his usual walk? I have a label printer at work and some lanyards, could do a believable wallet inspector.

I read the thread and someone sold him a £40 coat for £100 by pretending to be Italian.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is this reverse haggling?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

:same:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, ISP chat again briefly (i hope).

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of Three's 4G home broadband deals. I just got the router, but the sim card they sent with it seems to be an empty pay as you go one rather than an unlimited data one (the packaging the sim came in is all branded in Pay as you go/data reward sim, etc.

I hooked it all up and it took me straight to a 'top up the credit on your account for data' screen and their support chat just told me to wait 2 hours for it to activate. I really think they've sent the wrong sim though.

Is waiting a few hours for it to activate a normal thing?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kin posted:

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of Three's 4G home broadband deals. I just got the router, but the sim card they sent with it seems to be an empty pay as you go one rather than an unlimited data one (the packaging the sim came in is all branded in Pay as you go/data reward sim, etc.

I hooked it all up and it took me straight to a 'top up the credit on your account for data' screen and their support chat just told me to wait 2 hours for it to activate. I really think they've sent the wrong sim though.

When I got mine there were 2 SIMs in the package. One was a freebie PAYG for any phone and the other one is the one to put in the router.
Give them a call if you can't find the second one!

Ed: is there a phone number printed on the Delivery Note? This should match the phone number of the SIM you put in the router.

Ed2: Just found the packet the data SIM came in: it says Pay Monthly Mobile Broadband on it. That is the one that goes in the router.

Ed3: just found the Free PAYG SIM. It says Free Pay as you Go SIM blah blah on the front. That is NOT the one for the router.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 7, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CLP went Starmer/Rayner. It was a 3 way tie in the second round but the nandy voters broke more for starmer than RLB. Dawn Butler did depressingly poorly, mainly a contest between Rayner and Burgon, but I'd be lying if I said that wasn't how I expect the national vote to go. Though we didn't have any BAME members in attendence that I saw so that might skew it a bit.

But tom blenkinsop turned up and the room was kind of funny to look at. All the people with weird hair, 90% of the women, all the younger folk were all on one side of the room, the other side was all old fat white dudes.

Ended up sat between two women who said they were just sick of white men running everything and directly opposite what I think might have been the middlesbrough branch of a maoist insurrectionary group, so I had a good time despite the results as I felt I was in good company :v:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kin posted:

Additional to my post above (rather than keep editing it). These are the two SIMS I got in my package:

Use the one that says Pay Monthly Mobile Broadband on it in the router. The PAYG is just a freebie. If you didn't get a PMMB one, then they must have missed it out. The phone number of the SIM to use is the one printed on your delivery note.

Ed: PS I was online within 15-20 mins of putting my PMMB SIM in the router.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 7, 2020

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I got mine there were 2 SIMs in the package. One was a freebie PAYG for any phone and the other one is the one to put in the router.
Give them a call if you can't find the second one!

Ed: is there a phone number printed on the Delivery Note? This should match the phone number of the SIM you put in the router.

Ed2: Just found the packet the data SIM came in: it says Pay Monthly Mobile Broadband on it. That is the one that goes in the router.

Ed3: just found the Free PAYG SIM. It says Free Pay as you Go SIM blah blah on the front. That is NOT the one for the router.

Just dug out the delivery note, it just has the router and the PAYG MBB T-MAILER listed on it (it's the same telephone number that's on the sim) and it came in the packaging that your describing.

At the bottom of the delivery note it says that if i've taken out a pay monthly contract i'll get a letter in the next few days, though i'd have expected to get the sim with the router just like you did.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kin posted:

Just dug out the delivery note, it just has the router and the PAYG MBB T-MAILER listed on it (it's the same telephone number that's on the sim) and it came in the packaging that your describing.

At the bottom of the delivery note it says that if i've taken out a pay monthly contract i'll get a letter in the next few days, though i'd have expected to get the sim with the router just like you did.

How peculiar!
It is the Homehub thing you've got isn't it not a mifi thingy?

This is what I have (but took me a while to find it on their website!)

http://www.three.co.uk/discover/devices/huawei/B535?memory=0&colour=White

I just thought - maybe if you weren't already a 3 Customer they do some sort of credit checks before sending the unlimited SIM out. I've had a 3 mifi for over 6 years now on a pay monthly contract so I'm known to their systems.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 7, 2020

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How peculiar!
It is the Homehub thing you've got isn't it not a mifi thingy?

Yeah, this guy here:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573bs-322_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

So, off the back of chatting to customer service it looks like i've stumbled into some word sort of deal.

I've technically bought just the modem in one transaction which has come with that empty PAYG card, and at the same time taken out a contract for the unlimited data monthly contract. As such, it's being sent out separately.

Baffling, but i'm getting the internet for just £11pcm for the first 6 months (before it goes up to £22) so i can't complain really. My current BT internet is £25 a month for just 12Mbps.

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kin posted:

Yeah, this guy here:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573bs-322_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

So, off the back of chatting to customer service it looks like i've stumbled into some word sort of deal.

I've technically bought just the modem in one transaction which has come with that empty PAYG card, and at the same time taken out a contract for the unlimited data monthly contract. As such, it's being sent out separately.

Baffling, but i'm getting the internet for just £11pcm for the first 6 months (before it goes up to £22) so i can't complain really. My current BT internet is £25 a month for just 12Mbps.

Ah that's the mifi thingy not the home hub thingy that I have.
(Well I DO have one of those mifis but I've had it years and it's great to take around when I'm visiting friends or stopping in travelodges etc - obviously needs a signal!)
My homehub is £22pm for unlimited and gets up to 80mbps and typically around 60mbps most times during the day.

Ooo err just noticed they've got a better deal on the mifi than I've got - can't remember when the contract ends though! I'm getting 40GB for £18.25 and they're showing £12 pm. Last time I asked my deal was the best one.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 8, 2020