Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If you're an advanced level skiier who was bombing it down a groomer then you probably did hit close to around 80. Just bombing it on GS skis down steep blue/black runs with full clothing, GS skis and a little bit of aerodynamic effort without going full tuck (pulling in the arms) I can get to around a max of 80. But 95-100 is a whole different ball game that takes not only a concerted effort to get to, but a way bigger effort to maintain and be/feel safe.

But yeah, as Ola says, GPS is far from perfect on a ski hill. The only way to know your speed for sure is either to use a two-point speed trap through a straight line or a radar-based one, which unfortunately neither one of which are generally accessible to the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Phone GPS is terrible for instantaneous speed measurements on ski slopes. I've tried most of the apps and almost all end up giving erroneously high readings for max speed which happens when they lose track of you for a moment as you move then the app assumes you didn't move then relocates you in the new location and uses the wrong time to calculate velocity. It works fine for driving but not max speed on skis.

EDIT: This thread has made me curious and I'm considering getting a cheap radar gun to test out velocities of our skiers for fun.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 6, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ski Trax says I did 51.6 mph (83 kph) last year at Northstar as I bombed the steepest straightest groomiest groomer on a Snowboard in full tuck. Whatever speed I was actually doing, I can't imagine going much faster than that because I was flying, but it's probably a lot better on skis since you are stable just pointing straight.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I was using a garmin watch with the ski setting so I assume it is a bit more accurate than a phone, and it was on completely empty perfectly groomed slopes and i was generally going for it, so I expect it was pretty fast, but I did think 95 was a bit much, I imagine it was more in the 80s. Average speed was much lower obviously, more like 35-40 km/h. Would love to find somewhere with a speed gun and have a test though.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I went back and looked at my tracking app to check max speed and I hit 85mph* last year.

* On the freeway on the way home because I constantly forget to turn that poo poo off.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Since we're talking about going fast on skis, this is me going off the jump from a few days ago:

You really can't tell JUST how long the 210s are in this picture.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I grew up racing and have worked with GPS recordings in the context of sports for the last 6 years or so. Others have touched on this but most "max speed" values you're going to get out of a GPS app or device are going to be suspect for a few reasons:
- instantaneous speed from GPS is generally not that good
- even if/when it is, for any sensor data that has noise or inaccuracy, selecting the maximum value of that data stream is incredibly likely to just be selecting an outlier value caused by that error/noise in the data.

If you can look at the time/location data points around where the maximum speed was recorded, and it seems consistent with what you actually did, then you can generally trust that the average speed over a handful of seconds comes close (assuming recording at 1hz, which is common).

50mph is totally doable just skiing around wearing normal clothes, if you're bombing down a steep groomer. Getting much higher than that is tough.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Funny coincidence, a pro biathlete just posted a clip hitting a dedicated slope with a speed trap. 104.95 kph in normal clothes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8O0-OdpmUg/

Looks like a cool place to try it!

If if think his comment is funny, it's a follow up to this: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8JzCGfJdvD/

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ola posted:

GPS on your phone can be very accurate. Particularly in a car because it correctly assumes you are in contact with the surface on a well mapped road,so it can snap to the most likely position. When testing my phone against speed warning signs on the road and it's accurate to the whole digit every time.

But on skis, you might be many meters above the mapped surface and there is no road to snap your position to. The elevation data can be sparse, so the exact position gets interpolated and may make all sorts of incorrect assumptions. When I run on my local athletics track, which is of course flat as a pancake, I get 10-15 m of vertical distance on every lap because it sits on a hillside and the mapping software thinks the track follows the coarse gradient of the hill. This throws off the speed and distance figures as well, but only by a few percent.

Bad coverage can also lead to weird things. On one my latest runs my position glitched and my recorded top speed was 300 kph...

But if your phone says you did 95 and it's not a single spike of 95 but consistent numbers over a few seconds, then you very likely did not go slower than 90. It definitely isn't very safe though, unless the surroundings are extraordinarily smooth with wide visibility.

You greatly over estimate the accuracy of GPS, especially in mountains where the signals can be blocked and/or bounce off the mountains. Similarly when you drive in the city and your phone GPS will freak out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You greatly over estimate the accuracy of GPS, especially in mountains where the signals can be blocked and/or bounce off the mountains. Similarly when you drive in the city and your phone GPS will freak out.

Yes, strange that I didn't mention accuracy issues in that post. :thunk:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

HookShot posted:

Since we're talking about going fast on skis, this is me going off the jump from a few days ago:

You really can't tell JUST how long the 210s are in this picture.

210s its like the 80s are back :kimchi:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Steve French posted:

I grew up racing and have worked with GPS recordings in the context of sports for the last 6 years or so. Others have touched on this but most "max speed" values you're going to get out of a GPS app or device are going to be suspect for a few reasons:
- instantaneous speed from GPS is generally not that good
- even if/when it is, for any sensor data that has noise or inaccuracy, selecting the maximum value of that data stream is incredibly likely to just be selecting an outlier value caused by that error/noise in the data.

If you can look at the time/location data points around where the maximum speed was recorded, and it seems consistent with what you actually did, then you can generally trust that the average speed over a handful of seconds comes close (assuming recording at 1hz, which is common).

50mph is totally doable just skiing around wearing normal clothes, if you're bombing down a steep groomer. Getting much higher than that is tough.

IIRC GPS is also notoriously bad for altitude estimates so combine that with speed and I don't believe I hit 90kph last time out either

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"Look, you're selling to tech focused men here, you need to up the tech ante hard on the packaging. Go all in, any tech you can remotely relate to the sock. The cooling system for the camera, everything."

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Bilirubin posted:

210s its like the 80s are back :kimchi:

Wasn't it like 6? years ago that FIS mandated super long, virtually-no-sidecut skis?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Eejit posted:

Wasn't it like 6? years ago that FIS mandated super long, virtually-no-sidecut skis?

Well it started I think 7 years ago (the year before I started racing FIS) but they're still basically super-long with no sidecut.

Women's DH skis are now >210cm with a 50m radius. SG are >205cm with a 40m radius. GS are >188cm with a 30m radius and slalom is the same it's always been. They did drop the men's GS from 193 >35m to being the same as women's (I think) because those numbers were ridiculous for 16 year old boys. I am going to be glad to be able to pick my own ski length and radius again starting next year when I'm not racing FIS anymore.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Ola posted:

"Look, you're selling to tech focused men here, you need to up the tech ante hard on the packaging. Go all in, any tech you can remotely relate to the sock. The cooling system for the camera, everything."

But do the socks have bluetooth connectivity to my phone?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yuns posted:

But do the socks have bluetooth connectivity to my phone?

I guess X-socks have USB and Playstation socks some custom Sony stuff? :confused:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I feel like the risk of your achilles being sliced open by an overly sharp cross country ski is.... low.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Currently drying out, but this storm in Colorado is pretty nice. Been finding waste deep turns all morning.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

Currently drying out, but this storm in Colorado is pretty nice. Been finding waste deep turns all morning.

Super jealous from my office in Denver... And my delayed flight to Boston @ 6pm (come on more snow and cancelled flight so I can ride tomorrow...)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mostly healed up from my broken fibula back in January. Looking to get back on my skis in another 10 days or so. Hopefully we'll have some snow at Purgatory by then...

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Mary Jane is kind of ridiculous right now. I had to force myself to come to the base and eat some peanut m&ms and drink some water.

Someone said its dropping something like 2 an hour. Not sure if Im going to be able to get home.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

Not sure why I would go home.

Ftfy

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Moey posted:

Dang. I am jealous.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

MonkeyLibFront posted:

As someone who's only skied Europe I'd love to know what the general difference is between NA (specifically Canada) and European resorts, looking to get a posting with the army to Medicine Hat south of Calgary for two years and would be interested to know people's views on the skiing.

Congrats, your closest mountain is going to be the favorite mountain of goons such as myself and whoever else has been to Castle before.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

To be honest I would have stayed in Grand County tonight, but my kids were back at home with mom. And also I want absolutely nothing to do with the lift lines every ski area within three hours of Denver is going to have tomorrow.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Ola posted:

Theyre really taking Oh, Ill just wear a thicker sock to a whole nother level.

e: dont know why but apostrophes and quotations are not showing for me on the awful app

Macnult fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 8, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Breck posted this to their insta:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8R2ac6pfCQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Super jealous.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Whiteface is claiming 20 inches on their twitter page. Probably less, but still the best snow Adirondacks have had in a while. Too much for some stuff; https://cbs6albany.com/news/local/weather-conditions-prompt-avalanche-warning-for-adirondacks

mountain-forecast is saying windchill at the summit of WF will be close to -40 tomorrow, so hopefully that keeps the crowds down.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My Dudes and Dudettes,
Being a gadget loving dumb rear end I was going to buy some X socks and give a trip report on them. I visited their webpage and it turns out, they want like 40 loving dollars for socks. So I will not be able to give a trip report unless I get drunk enough to spend 40 bucks on socks. And I don't know if I have *ever* been that drunk.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Super jealous from my office in Denver... And my delayed flight to Boston @ 6pm (come on more snow and cancelled flight so I can ride tomorrow...)

Did you make it out? The airport/approach are struggling hard today.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fknlo posted:

Did you make it out? The airport/approach are struggling hard today.

Yeah, we were only delayed 40 min. I was pretty surprised.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I spent Weds-Fri at Breck as part of my friends annual trip to check off every resort in Colorado. Fridays powder was insane and made up for longer lift lines, and that was just on popular blues/blacks. I cant imagine what the more advanced runs were like.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

LostCosmonaut posted:

Whiteface is claiming 20 inches on their twitter page. Probably less, but still the best snow Adirondacks have had in a while. Too much for some stuff; https://cbs6albany.com/news/local/weather-conditions-prompt-avalanche-warning-for-adirondacks

mountain-forecast is saying windchill at the summit of WF will be close to -40 tomorrow, so hopefully that keeps the crowds down.
drat. If it wasn't for having a race tomorrow, I would have headed to Whiteface.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Yeah, we were only delayed 40 min. I was pretty surprised.

You got pretty lucky.

In other news, gently caress all this:

I'm the kind of person that turns around and goes home when I see that kind of poo poo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Honestly Id rather book a place at the mountain and drive up on a Thursday or something than try to deal with that.

Then you hope for the roads to close so nobody can make it and the mountain is empty!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Honestly I’d rather book a place at the mountain and drive up on a Thursday or something than try to deal with that.

Then you hope for the roads to close so nobody can make it and the mountain is empty!

Yup. This is the only way to do it in Colorado. We were in a group shared condo for a few years and I just bought my own place last year. It is Grand.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Super busy day out here

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Yup. This is the only way to do it in Colorado. We were in a group shared condo for a few years and I just bought my own place last year. It is Grand.

Honestly it's not bad as long as you're west of Golden by ~6:15. The problem anymore is the lift lines. I was getting about 2 runs an hour in yesterday and that was putting me about at my limit (10-15 minutes wait per lift, which is interminable as a soloist). Sooooo many groups of people jumping in the singles line. Which I wouldn't be grumpy about except they invariably gently caress up the grouping as they surreptitiously try to ride together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

Honestly it's not bad as long as you're west of Golden by ~6:15. The problem anymore is the lift lines. I was getting about 2 runs an hour in yesterday and that was putting me about at my limit (10-15 minutes wait per lift, which is interminable as a soloist). Sooooo many groups of people jumping in the singles line. Which I wouldn't be grumpy about except they invariably gently caress up the grouping as they surreptitiously try to ride together.

Totally fair but I do prefer walking up at 7, breakfast and coffee, free bus to keystone.

Really though I ski way more in the backcountry these days.