Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's the issue with a singleton format - everyone played their one-liner hot take last time, now we're going to have to find a new one that accomplishes something similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
dammit my one-liner got mental misstepped

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
mor elike elder dingus highlander

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The constant shade thrown at edh players in this thread is really tiresome and completely unwarranted imo.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The Clowner posted:

The constant shade thrown at edh players in this thread is really tiresome and completely unwarranted imo.

if only there were another thread where they could discuss edh in... oh wait :thunk:

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

Hauki posted:

if only there were another thread where they could discuss edh in... oh wait :thunk:

General MTG discussion sometimes shifts to EDH? Not in MY Magic: the Gathering: Faithless Posting thread!

Henron fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 7, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

The Clowner posted:

:emptyquote:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I sold all my EDH cards except a couple precons that my girlfriend and I play against each other because I don’t really like EDH. But if people do like it then play it however you want.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Anyways, enough bitching about arena. Limited thread is dead so here have the latest:

I'm thinking without apathy I should just cut the pilgrim and play another Nyxborn courser. Maybe one of the sorceries too. Either that, leave it alone, or splash black for mire's grasp.

Deck drew nothing but land three times in a row and folded to literally any creature stay away lmao

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Sounds like there's a problem with the shuffler.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The State of the Game for this month said that to support the Arena Draft thing at Worlds they are adding an "Export Deck" button to the Limited modes and then the ability to Direct Challenge with 40-card format decks.

Which means... GOON DRAFT TOURNAMENT

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Boco_T posted:

The State of the Game for this month said that to support the Arena Draft thing at Worlds they are adding an "Export Deck" button to the Limited modes and then the ability to Direct Challenge with 40-card format decks.

What do you mean it's literally impossible for me to have drafted 4x dream trawler? One of the bots, em, passed it to me p1p2.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Odds on direct challenge being broken if your draft deck has more than four copies of any given card?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jabor posted:

Odds on direct challenge being broken if your draft deck has more than four copies of any given card?

How about if you drafted more than 7 Seven Dwarves?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Boco_T posted:

easiest 2-1 of my life

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Hasbro probably hates me for this, but I got back into Magic (for the tenth or so time) through Arena, and I lost interest in it pretty quickly. The client's good but it just doesn't feel right to me. So I got back into MTGO instead; I like the deep card pool and the format support. Currently losing a lot at Pauper. (I mean, I guess they still win here, but it's kind of funny.)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They love you for it actually because MTGO hemorrhaged most of its Standard playerbase and it mostly exists to be the place to play Pioneer until Arena catches up with it a few years down the line

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Eej posted:

They love you for it actually because MTGO hemorrhaged most of its Standard playerbase and it mostly exists to be the place to play Pioneer until Arena catches up with it a few years down the line

Making the actual good cards useful for Pioneer/Modern incredibly expensive, a complete turnaround from how it used to be from MTGO's existence. Small Teferi, OUaT, Uro, new Niv, are all crazy expensive compared to paper.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Lone Goat posted:

How about if you drafted more than 7 Seven Dwarves?

From what I’ve been told card text supersedes format rules so even in draft it maxes out at 7. Edit: rulings page confirms this

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 7, 2020

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Don't forget that previous to / during this exodus the price of older modern era cards collapsed. Just to take an example, Scalding Tarn peaked just before Rivals of Ixalan at 35.5, and is now at 11.2. To pick a completely different archetype, Cavern of Souls peaked just before Dominaria at 38.9, and is now at 10.7. So the end situation is that the price of pioneer and modern decks is being propped up by the most expensive cards which are nothing like they were a year ago, and by the newest cards because there's no one cracking packs of new sets on mtgo anymore.

If you look at the most expensive modern format mtgo cards you have to go down to #8 (Mishra's Bauble) to find a card not printed in the last year and down to #12 (Thoughtseize) after that. Not counting the Bauble exception you have to go down to #21 (Gemstone Mine) to find a card that is neither printed in the last year nor a pioneer staple.

So yeah, you're one of the tiny handful of new players propping up the teetering edifice that is MTGO and once Pioneer is a thing on Arena the whole thing is going to come crashing down.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

TheDemon posted:

So yeah, you're one of the tiny handful of new players propping up the teetering edifice that is MTGO and once Pioneer is a thing on Arena the whole thing is going to come crashing down.
Until Arena gets human drafts and also cube a lot of people will still be dumping fun bucks into mtgo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dehtraen posted:

Until Arena gets human drafts and also cube a lot of people will still be dumping fun bucks into mtgo.

Can almost taste it

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I scanned issue #1 of Duelist Sideboard.

I've been working mainly on personal family material and other boring fare lately but this one came in today and was a quick job.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Dehtraen posted:

kind of, but new card prices being sky high tells us that people aren't drafting anywhere near the volumes on MTGO that they used to. The more packs cracked, the more singles in the market blah blah.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Apparently there is a PT this weekend? I wouldn't have even known, but one of the streamers I do follow replied to the tweet of a guy I don't follow talking about how he couldn't make the trip because of bad weather.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh hey, Caleb Durward is commentating. I didn't catch him in the booth the last time he did it (for a GP?). How did he do?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

jassi007 posted:

kind of, but new card prices being sky high tells us that people aren't drafting anywhere near the volumes on MTGO that they used to. The more packs cracked, the more singles in the market blah blah.
Yep, and once they get human drafts on Arena those prices are going to climb even higher. Standard set chase rares / mythics played in pioneer / modern / legacy on mtgo are already ridiculously overpriced - it’s just going to get worse and worse.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Credit where it's due, this is a good thing Sheldon did:

https://twitter.com/SheldonMenery/status/1225853551336939521?s=19

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Looks like more secret lairs coming in just a week.

WotC never seem to get the balance right for sustainability, everything is milked into the ground as quickly as possible.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What about cosplaying is "vital"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
They are diametrically opposed to Hambly and the Chud Brigade, so they should put them on stream at every event IMO.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Like I understand that cosplay is a cool hobby and #BRANDS love to use them for marketing but like I think Magic will be fine if someone wasn't dressed up as Admiral beckett Brass at the next magic fest

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Vital" may have been mild hyperbole but it's really good to see people that passionate about it and makes events more fun, lively, and uh... vital (definition 2). :shrug:

Three ladies dressed up as planeswalkers were super nice to my little girl at MagicFest and gave her a booster. :3:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Magic would probably still be fine if they didn't have a Magic Fest at all, but they're trying to grow that stuff out to be an EVENT, hence the new name and etc.

also they're making small improvements in other areas:
https://twitter.com/Bloody/status/1225848762376941568

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

What about cosplaying is "vital"

I follow Tappy and Christine Sprankle on Twitter, and they're some of the only people genuinely enthusiastic about the game. It's refreshing.

And they make the CHUDs real mad just by existing, even more so than anyone else in Magic who exists.

Edit: Removed pedantic stuff about "vital"ness.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 7, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“Vital” in the sense of Vitality, cosplay is another dimension of Magic the Gathering’s fandom that is helpful for growing the game and its community. The more people participating in cool stuff like this at Magic Fests, the more reason there is to attend them. Cosplay literally breaths life into the game by bringing characters to life, as well as giving creative fans something to do when the formats are trash.

It’s also extremely cool and good to have fresh women’s faces all over these events to help try and break the stigma against women in Magic. Ally Warfield and Jess Estephan and Amy the Amazonian are awesome gamers, buts it’s really cool to see women like Ashlen Rose or Tappy Toeclaws or Olivia Gobert-Hicks being front and center for exciting magic events.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Making Hamburger and his CHUD Empire angry should always be a priority.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This is so incredibly cursed

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cosplaying takes a gently caress load of effort so I respect anyone with the skill and patience to put together an actual costume and not just a cardboard box that says "Jace" in permanent marker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Even the dumb ones can be cool