Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I mean, Swedes have some crazy repressed Nazi poo poo going on (like every other Leave Behind operation state), so I wouldn't say that they are NOT scary. Same with Belgium, if you're familiar with Dutroux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m curious how you think the movie played out from the point you stopped watching (if you then didn’t look up the plot just to give some closure).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'd say the 30 minutes you missed are more interesting than the rest of the movie, barring the opening sequence/title card. Personally I really liked hereditary and thought midsommar was OK, but not as good. I'd still go see his next thing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think the movie would be twice as effective if Aster toned down the gore to half. That scene in Hereditary was way more impactful because it wasn't gratuitous.

MinisterSinister
Dec 17, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m curious how you think the movie played out from the point you stopped watching (if you then didn’t look up the plot just to give some closure).

I just assumed it ended badly for our main characters, and that either they'd be integrated into the cult completely, or Christian would die somehow. I figured the latter because Christian wasn't forcibly integrated like Dani and it seemed like he was just being used to spruce up the gene pool, and not to be a full member like Dani. Either way, I knew it'd be a downer ending going into it, just judging by Hereditary and from the way modern horror movies are in general (God forbid we even give the vaguest notion that a somewhat-happy ending is possible. Forget all stakes and tension and don't get too attached to any of these characters, because they'll all be dead or hosed up by the end!)

I looked up a synopsis anyways and was pretty much right. I missed some creepy/gory poo poo but that stuff would've been way more effective if I thought the characters had any chance whatsoever to survive. It becomes clear by that last 30 minutes that we are just going through the motions, and it doesn't really matter or horrific or creative the onscreen violence becomes from there on out, since you generally know how it will end.

Although I will admit the intro with Dani's sister and parents dying was loving terrifying and incredibly effective, as I found it relatable and very grounded. I wish Ari Aster stuck to that kind of stuff, as Hereditary's most effective sequence was the daughter dying. That is real scary poo poo, not goofy Swedes in robes worshiping pagan gods, or elderly witches worshiping what is basically Satan. Don't get me wrong, I am fine with supernatural horror, but I do think that we have a drought of realistic, grounded horror films, and Ari Aster is capable of doing that stuff effectively.

Also, I read the final scene of the script and lol:

Ari Aster posted:

A SMILE finally breaks onto Dani’s face.
She has surrendered to a joy known only by the insane.
She has lost herself completely, and she is finally free.
It is horrible and it is beautiful.
CUT TO BLACK

That is the most pretentious screenwriting I've ever seen. The screenplay is not a place to bust out your first year art college student prose.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I’m gonna sign all my posts like that.

It is horrible and it is beautiful.
CUT TO BLACK

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MinisterSinister posted:

I just assumed it ended badly for our main characters, and that either they'd be integrated into the cult completely, or Christian would die somehow. I figured the latter because Christian wasn't forcibly integrated like Dani and it seemed like he was just being used to spruce up the gene pool, and not to be a full member like Dani. Either way, I knew it'd be a downer ending going into it, just judging by Hereditary and from the way modern horror movies are in general (God forbid we even give the vaguest notion that a somewhat-happy ending is possible. Forget all stakes and tension and don't get too attached to any of these characters, because they'll all be dead or hosed up by the end!)

I looked up a synopsis anyways and was pretty much right. I missed some creepy/gory poo poo but that stuff would've been way more effective if I thought the characters had any chance whatsoever to survive. It becomes clear by that last 30 minutes that we are just going through the motions, and it doesn't really matter or horrific or creative the onscreen violence becomes from there on out, since you generally know how it will end.

Although I will admit the intro with Dani's sister and parents dying was loving terrifying and incredibly effective, as I found it relatable and very grounded. I wish Ari Aster stuck to that kind of stuff, as Hereditary's most effective sequence was the daughter dying. That is real scary poo poo, not goofy Swedes in robes worshiping pagan gods, or elderly witches worshiping what is basically Satan. Don't get me wrong, I am fine with supernatural horror, but I do think that we have a drought of realistic, grounded horror films, and Ari Aster is capable of doing that stuff effectively.

Also, I read the final scene of the script and lol:

That is the most pretentious screenwriting I've ever seen. The screenplay is not a place to bust out your first year art college student prose.

You've spent more time researching and posting about the movie to prove to us how bad it is than you would've spent actually watching the movie.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

peckerwood has logged on

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I never log off. I post while you sleep!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
FWIIW, I didn't particularly like Midsommar either. Hereditary was way more interesting and enjoyable while this felt like watching Wicker Man for the third time.

MinisterSinister
Dec 17, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You've spent more time researching and posting about the movie to prove to us how bad it is than you would've spent actually watching the movie.

What the gently caress is up with people on this forum bitching about how much other people write? I think I've been criticized for "writing too much" on literally every thread on this site. God forbid someone dares to write more than a sentence.

I came here to get away from the vapid one-sentence posting bullshit that infests Reddit and 4chan. I wrongly assumed this place would be more like the oldschool vBulletin sites I used to visit and hadn't yet been bitten by the Twitter low attention span bug, but I guess I was wrong. Apparently nobody can bother to read something longer than a few sentences these days.

And even still, your post is wrong anyways. Midsommar clocks in at a whopping 2 hours and 47 minutes, iirc. I got through most of that. I definitely spent less time than that writing about it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

FWIIW, I didn't particularly like Midsommar either. Hereditary was way more interesting and enjoyable while this felt like watching Wicker Man for the third time.

I think Midsommar grew on me as time went by, and by the end of the year I was thinking about it all the time. Still, quality of the overall film aside, Florence Pugh is loving phenomenal in it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A friend said Colour out of Space was bad

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Well it's certainly an acquired taste

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Tron (1982): 95 (nth rewatch, was 100)
Little Women (2019): 95
Uncut Gems (2019): 80
Marriage Story (2019) 80
Pokemon Detective Pikachu (2019): 70
She-Devil (1989): 40
The Irishman (2019): 75

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Did you think you'd like she-devil more?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

got any sevens posted:

Did you think you'd like she-devil more?

I knew literally nothing about it other than the director having done Desperately Seeking Susan, which is a terrific movie. Then seeing that it had the double-billing of Roseanne and Meryl Streep made me think, "This is either a diamond in the rough or a can't-miss fiasco." It wound up being a milquetoast comedy with tired tropes (Roseanne is not only ugly, she eats donuts all the time!) that misuses very talented performers like Ed Begley Jr. and Linda Hunt (!). I will likely never live down the fact that I pay for Criterion Channel and this is what I chose from their offerings.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The Kid Who Would Be King - Joe Cornish does (British) kids on bikes ponies, and it's pretty fun all said. More family friendly than attack the block, so I wasn't exactly the target demographic, but still enjoyed it nonetheless. Merlin's hand clapping magic thing got kind of old afterwhile. Andy Serkis' kid was pretty good in it. 75/100

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
See Bad Boys 3 if you're looking for one of the better "we're too old for this poo poo" sequel of an already established series. I normally find this style of film to be pretty sad, but the chemistry between Lawrence and Smith is so good that it really makes it all work.

The Day After Tomorrow is Roland Emmerich hilarious lack of understanding what it's like to have a job at its finest, but it actually paints a picture that isn't all that different from at least some of the models . . . . just . . . obviously not that instant of course, so it's worth seeing if you want to see what the world is going to at least possibly be like for your great grandkids, or, maybe just your grandkids. Beyond that though, even though it's really similar to Emmerich's other work, his character work still manages to be sweet and simple.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 26, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Gentlemen 3.5/5 - pretty fun movie and a big return to form for Guy Ritchie. It's definitely him turned up to 11 for good and bad. If you like Snatch and Lock, Stock, you'll probably enjoy this, though it falls a good bit short of either of those.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Queen and Slim 5/5

Easily top 5 of 2019 films. I guess the content was too much for the Globes or Oscar nominations but what a goddamn well shot and acted film

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Queen and Slim 5/5

Easily top 5 of 2019 films. I guess the content was too much for the Globes or Oscar nominations but what a goddamn well shot and acted film

I really liked the film but there was some weird editing and pacing issues
The conversation scenes where we'd hear them talking but they are looking forward or away silently was an awkward effect
If they had cut maybe 20 minutes or so, I think the film wouldve flowed much better
I still recommend it to everyone, it's a wonderful road trip movie

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the last time I posted in here was when I went to Sundance last year and since then I've had a bad year and fell behind on watching movie. I'm gonna try to start getting back into watching movies again so let's start with what I saw at Sundance this year.

Scare Me A
La Llorona (not that one) A
Spree A
His House A-
Possessor A-
Bad Hair B+
Omniboat B
The Night House B-
Yalda: A Night of Forgiveness B-
Kajillionaire B-
Save Yourselves! B-
Jumbo C
Sandlines C-
The Evening Hour C-
Impetigore D

and here are two movies we saw during Sundance down time
Jojo Rabbit C
Knives Out A

and here's what I watched on the plane
The Farewell C+
The Dead Don't Die F

As per usual if anyone is curious about any of these, ask away.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

The Dead Don't Die is one of the worst movies I've seen in quite some time. I won't ask you to relive it by elaborating on your F rating, just know that you're not alone.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Man in the White Suit (1951, Alexander Mackendrick) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Death Race 2000 (1975, Paul Bartel) [Criterion Channel] - 3/5
Shivers (1975, David Cronenberg) [Criterion Channel] - 3/5
Until the End of the World (1991, Wim Wenders) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Adam and Six Eves (1962) [Blu-ray 3D] - 1.5/5 - 3-D nudie-cutie film that's an hour of a talking donkey commenting on naked women
The Bellboy and the Playgirls (1962, new footage by Francis Ford Coppola) [Blu-ray 3D] - 2/5
Jivaro (1954, Edward Ludwig) [Blu-ray 3D] - 3.5/5
The Lighthouse (2019, Robert Eggers) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Dead Ringers (1988, David Cronenberg) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Demon Seed (1977, Donald Cammell) [Criterion Channel] - 3.5/5

In the Mouth of Madness (1994, John Carpenter) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Prince of Darkness (1987, John Carpenter) [Blu-ray] - 2.5/5
Ishtar (1987, Elaine May) [Blu-ray] - 2/5
Redes (1936, Fred Zinnemann/Emilio Gómez Muriel) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975, Peter Weir) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Death Takes a Holiday (1934, Mitchell Leison) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Inherent Vice (2014, Paul Thomas Anderson) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Memories of Underdevelopment (1968, Tomás Gutiérrez Alea) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Auto Focus (2002, Paul Schrader) [Criterion Channel] - 4/5
Just Another Girl on the I.R.T. (1992, Leslie Harris) [Criterion Channel] - 4.5/5

Prospero's Books (1991, Peter Greenaway) [Criterion Channel] - 3/5
Trances (1981, Ahmed El Maanouni) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
The Housemaid (1960, Kim Ki-young) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Hardcore (1979, Paul Schrader) [Blu-ray] - 4/5

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

axelblaze posted:

I think the last time I posted in here was when I went to Sundance last year and since then I've had a bad year and fell behind on watching movie. I'm gonna try to start getting back into watching movies again so let's start with what I saw at Sundance this year.

Scare Me A
La Llorona (not that one) A
Spree A
His House A-
Possessor A-
Bad Hair B+
Omniboat B
The Night House B-
Yalda: A Night of Forgiveness B-
Kajillionaire B-
Save Yourselves! B-
Jumbo C
Sandlines C-
The Evening Hour C-
Impetigore D

and here are two movies we saw during Sundance down time
Jojo Rabbit C
Knives Out A

and here's what I watched on the plane
The Farewell C+
The Dead Don't Die F

As per usual if anyone is curious about any of these, ask away.

Thats the worst grade ive seen anyone give the farewell, why so down on it? I still havent seen it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not really that down on it. It just didn't do anything for me. I knew the story going in (I heard the original This American Life story that was then turned into a book and then this movie) and I guess I feel I didn't really get much from watching the movie. It was so slight and while I know that's part of it's charm, it never had anything that I found that interesting or that drew me in. It's well shot, the performances are good and the writing is good, though at times seems a bit eager to give generic sounding life advice. C+ is basically the grade for a movie I can't fault, didn't find enjoyable but also didn't find unenjoyable. It is something I will ever have a desire to watch again and will be amazed if I even remember I saw it in 10 years.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

axelblaze posted:

I'm not really that down on it. It just didn't do anything for me. I knew the story going in (I heard the original This American Life story that was then turned into a book and then this movie) and I guess I feel I didn't really get much from watching the movie. It was so slight and while I know that's part of it's charm, it never had anything that I found that interesting or that drew me in. It's well shot, the performances are good and the writing is good, though at times seems a bit eager to give generic sounding life advice. C+ is basically the grade for a movie I can't fault, didn't find enjoyable but also didn't find unenjoyable. It is something I will ever have a desire to watch again and will be amazed if I even remember I saw it in 10 years.

what about Jojo Rabbit? Also havent seen it.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Ford vs Ferrari: good shooting, good acting, good directing... Meh writing(and occasionally worse than meh,e.g. during the "edgy old tyme racism" bits) holy poo poo a lot of advertising

I wonder how much money went into getting this movie an Oscar nom, and how much of it came from Lee iacocca.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 5, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I saw Greta and Hansel blind after seeing Roger Ebert's website gave it a high rating and praised it's cinematography. They're right, it's great.

From the first seconds of the movie it has these stark, beautifully framed shots that convey so much of it's tone and aesthetics. The setting's fairytale-like events are juxtaposed with a lush visuall detail that makes everything eerie.

The acting is good, though the delivery of the main character's first lines pulled me out of the movie as I was immediately wondering if the film was intentionally using modern dialects.

The narrative mostly does a good job of holding a slowly building tension throughout the film, with the exception of a few false starts and doldrums in the final third.

If you wished Tim Burton movies were less Hot Topic and higher quality, go see this.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Long Day's Journey Into Night - 3.5/5 - Holy poo poo this movie. Watched in 2D until the switchover and then watched in 3D on a 3DTV...kind of want to watch in VR, 3D stuff looks even more pronounced there...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone catch Color Out of Space yet?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Dead Don't Die was loving dogshit, and I'm sure part of my anger at it is that it just totally wastes a cast full of people who are otherwise welcome presences in any movie.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Truth or Die: What starts as a very run of the mill horror film degrades into one of the most disgusting and vile endings I've seen in a movie in a long time. There's literally one interesting kill in the entire movie and the rest is watching awful people whine and scream until the most awful one gets away. gently caress off 1/5

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

Long Day's Journey Into Night - 3.5/5 - Holy poo poo this movie. Watched in 2D until the switchover and then watched in 3D on a 3DTV...kind of want to watch in VR, 3D stuff looks even more pronounced there...

I loved this film, it really felt like Wong Kar Wai crossed with Lynch. Watching it in the theater was surreal and immersive, and I normally hate 3D anything

edit, you should watch Burning if you haven't already op

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 7, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I loved this film, it really felt like Wong Kar Wai crossed with Lynch. Watching it in the theater was surreal and immersive, and I normally hate 3D anything

edit, you should watch Burning if you haven't already op

It's probably going to be the only 3d Bluray I ever own. The bonus stuff is really thin though, which is a shame because I want to see a real making of. What little there is still had some insight...

interview with the director-
- yes he's a gamer, likes the switch/Fifa, is playing some chinese mobile game heavily rn
- movie mostly came out of him seeing the location of the one take and wanting to film there, then slowly added plot elements and built a script
- seems like he's still stressed out over how hard the one take stuff was to make whenever he talks about it..
- talked about the fact that little things popped up that they didn't prepare for like the oil lamp going out mid take..or Sylvia chang being burned from holding the torch but rolling with it

interview with lead-
-liked his first film, told a friend he'd love to work with him..friend relayed..met with bi gan and got a part which then started to evolve into a bigger role
-spent a year working on this film
-did some weird method acting to get the vibe of the character of "always being on thin ice" in that he went to kaili with a bunch of money in a backpack and then worried every minute about who might be about to rob him forcing him to pay attention to every person
maybe this was lost in translation a bit cuz wtf?
-said filming the long take was super stressful because any single mistake ruined an entire take...feels that its less about his acting in this sequence then the importance of the sequence itself so it was more about hitting each section perfectly for him
-on top of that the kid he plays ping pong with is the directors little brother and they are pretty matched at ping pong in real life..the dir apparently told his little brother he has to win, but the scene requires the lead to win, so it made everything from that point on even more nerve-wracking filming the long take which is some kubrick gently caress with your actor style directing

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 7, 2020

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

There was a decent interview with Bi Gan up on the criterion channel back when they had Kaili Blues streaming. Not sure if it's available to watch anywhere anymore, it's not on the blu-ray, but he was asked about influences and the two he named were Tarkovsky and Hou Hsio-hsien. I think both of those are even more obvious when watching Long Day's Journey Into Night than they were in the first film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

It's probably going to be the only 3d Bluray I ever own. The bonus stuff is really thin though, which is a shame because I want to see a real making of. What little there is still had some insight...

interview with the director-
- yes he's a gamer, likes the switch/Fifa, is playing some chinese mobile game heavily rn
- movie mostly came out of him seeing the location of the one take and wanting to film there, then slowly added plot elements and built a script
- seems like he's still stressed out over how hard the one take stuff was to make whenever he talks about it..
- talked about the fact that little things popped up that they didn't prepare for like the oil lamp going out mid take..or Sylvia chang being burned from holding the torch but rolling with it

interview with lead-
-liked his first film, told a friend he'd love to work with him..friend relayed..met with bi gan and got a part which then started to evolve into a bigger role
-spent a year working on this film
-did some weird method acting to get the vibe of the character of "always being on thin ice" in that he went to kaili with a bunch of money in a backpack and then worried every minute about who might be about to rob him forcing him to pay attention to every person
maybe this was lost in translation a bit cuz wtf?
-said filming the long take was super stressful because any single mistake ruined an entire take...feels that its less about his acting in this sequence then the importance of the sequence itself so it was more about hitting each section perfectly for him
-on top of that the kid he plays ping pong with is the directors little brother and they are pretty matched at ping pong in real life..the dir apparently told his little brother he has to win, but the scene requires the lead to win, so it made everything from that point on even more nerve-wracking filming the long take which is some kubrick gently caress with your actor style directing

Rad. I can't wait to get that blu. Honestly, I'm also just a huge Tang Wei fan.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FancyMike posted:

There was a decent interview with Bi Gan up on the criterion channel back when they had Kaili Blues streaming. Not sure if it's available to watch anywhere anymore, it's not on the blu-ray, but he was asked about influences and the two he named were Tarkovsky and Hou Hsio-hsien. I think both of those are even more obvious when watching Long Day's Journey Into Night than they were in the first film.

He mentions Hsiao-hsien on this kino lorber interview, and also growing up watching/loving stephen chow films of all things. I mean don't get me wrong, I gently caress with shaolin soccer but that wasn't what I was expecting him to mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

He mentions Hsiao-hsien on this kino lorber interview, and also growing up watching/loving stephen chow films of all things. I mean don't get me wrong, I gently caress with shaolin soccer but that wasn't what I was expecting him to mention.

The way Bi Gan is working with time and memories reminds me a lot of Hou, especially Millenium Mambo.

Am I remembering right that he lists Kung Fu Hustle as his favorite Stephen Chow? If so that's some very good taste. I haven't seen The Mermaid or King of Comedy yet, but Chow's Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons is fantastic. And as an actor he is great in Jeffrey Lau's A Chinese Odyssey Part One and Two. I'd recommend checking those, and the (unrelated) Chinese Odyssey 2002 on criterion channel, especially to any Wong Kar-wai fans.