Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The wights were up to no good again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Obscure D&D Trivia (:science:):

The reason Fireball and Lightning Bolt take the shape they do (and the reason Lightning Bolt in 1st and 2nd edition has its ... interesting indoor properties), is that, once again, D&D is based off a miniature combat wargame. Fireball originally used the rules for catapults, and Lightning Bolt used the rules for cannons.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Next Time: High Stakes Combat

Time to stock up on garlic?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

Time to stock up on garlic?

Did you know that fireballs are just like tiny suns? And that vampires dislike them just as much?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I never knew the juju zombie (only one in any Goldbox game far as I know) was supposed to have guards.

The wraith's sprite used to be much cooler. :( I'll let Chokes show off the new one in due time.

Good thing the party has Buffy on speed dial. Although I think she may have a restraining order.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Their wight buddies, of course, still level drain.

This game has too much toxic wightness.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
No parking in the Wight Zone.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Actually, I'm surprised Chokes didn't have the specter as an undead Bob Barker telling Rezen she was the next contestant on The Price is Wight before she turned the dial and looked back at the party.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Randalor posted:

Actually, I'm surprised Chokes didn't have the specter as an undead Bob Barker telling Rezen she was the next contestant on The Price is Wight before she turned the dial and looked back at the party.

With all the zombies I was half-expecting a Thriller parody myself.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Randalor posted:

Whoever loses the most levels--without going over--will win the prize!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

Their wight buddies, of course, still level drain. So, to recap: This is 8-12 monsters that drain a level on any successful damage and 4-5 monsters that are walking one-shots. Thanks, game! Really glad that's a thing!

We do have fireballs at the ready, which makes me feel a little better about our chances. Still, it's a mess, and we need two tries to win and four casts of Restoration afterwards.

Can you go into a little detail about how you're approaching a fight like this such that you don't get anyone obliterated? Basically taking damage six times is a guaranteed obliteration for anyone in the party, right?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Can you go into a little detail about how you're approaching a fight like this such that you don't get anyone obliterated? Basically taking damage six times is a guaranteed obliteration for anyone in the party, right?

I mean, we’re still wearing our armor, so it’s not a guarantee the wights will hit us at all. Plus, our guys will slowly become more useless as they’re drained but probably won’t sustain enough damage to kill before they’re reduced to level 0, so we don’t have to worry about that.

The ghouls are the big problem, so it’s deploy fireballs ASAP to kill them, mop up what’s left before our fighters run out of gas, and then cast a whole lot of Restoration. Magic missle will plug the remaining holes, to a degree.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Cool, thanks. I guess I don't have a good sense of the degree to which good armor in these games results in actually not getting hit very often.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ManxomeBromide posted:

Cool, thanks. I guess I don't have a good sense of the degree to which good armor in these games results in actually not getting hit very often.

Googling for AD&D stats it looks like wights have a THAC0 of 15, which sounds about right. That translates into a 30-40% chance to hit Chokes' dudes depending on AC variations. That's before buffs, too--prayer would shave off 5%, protection from evil another 10%.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Straight White Shark posted:

Googling for AD&D stats it looks like wights have a THAC0 of 15, which sounds about right. That translates into a 30-40% chance to hit Chokes' dudes depending on AC variations. That's before buffs, too--prayer would shave off 5%, protection from evil another 10%.

However, don’t forget to discount it’s lovely XCOM statistics. Because it uses native rnd functions like a dum dum, clustering happens, so you end up with these weird streaks of not getting hit versus all the hits, all of them.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Alternate comedy update name: kill wighty

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I guess that name is all wight, but surely there is something that isn't so wightbread out there?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Why not just call them wighty whackers?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
I think all these puns are going to give me wightmares later, so I'm going to find my wightlight, even if it is a wight childish.

In wight of this, I'll keep reading, even if it turns me a pundead.

I'll stop now

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

NewMars posted:

Why not just call them wighty whackers?

We can have more than one name for them. It's not a black-or-wight issue.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Wight this and Wight that, when are we going to get back to the real enemy here: Doctow Wawway.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Straight White Shark posted:

Got it. So, assuming an RNG that is consistent over time (:eng99:) in the long run the expected number of hits on someone that gets attacked by Literally All Twelve Wights is, like, two. Then with all the magical gear with decent bonuses of their own, not to mention the extra bonuses against undead, the whole setup ends up as a sad testament to wight fragility.

And attacking presumably also ends their turn, so that's a hard cap of eight melee attacks against any one character per round.

I am now just barely willing to believe that in the hollow heart-holes of the battle designers, they could look at this and conclude "yes, this is balanced for a party of Level 5 PCs."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I feel like the wighting for this update's comments got a bit silly, it's like wight-out conditions but with puns instead of snow.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It's beyond the pale, honestly.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ManxomeBromide posted:

I am now just barely willing to believe that in the hollow heart-holes of the battle designers, they could look at this and conclude "yes, this is balanced for a party of Level 5 PCs."

“...so let’s put some ghouls in just to be safe.”

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Tylana posted:

It's beyond the pale, honestly.

A Wight-er shade of Pale.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I guess they didn't have the wight stuff. They were all worn out after NaNoWiMo. They had no attack coordination because their left hands didn't know what the wight was doing.

Are we done? Is this gag through? Or will we continue this wraith to the bottom?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Greetings! I come from the future with news: the party has cleared PoR with flying colors, and assuming I can get there with updates, we'll be seeing Bonds soon enough.

Fun poo poo coming up in endgame, but we've got 2-3 missions to clean out first before we can get there.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

Greetings! I come from the future with news: the party has cleared PoR with flying colors, and assuming I can get there with updates, we'll be seeing Bonds soon enough.

Fun poo poo coming up in endgame, but we've got 2-3 missions to clean out first before we can get there.

Congratulations on your glorious victory!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Congratulations on your glorious victory!

It’s gonna be some quality content too

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

“...so let’s put some ghouls in just to be safe.”

drat it, that's just not wight.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Glad to see this team of chucklefucks made it through. This game has always been near and dear to my heart, but I freely admit that Azure Bonds is the better game (with an even higher Bullshit Quotient than Radiance), so I'm looking forward to when you reach it.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Honestly, I'm more looking towards the Silver Blades campaign, my first introduction to DnD in general. I never made it far in, but I certainly had fun. Also, for whatever reason, they decided to allow you to adjust the stats at character creation.

"Okay, we're trusting you to actually put down what's on your character sheet and be honest about it ---"

" lol ok "

"...This has all 18's in it.

You know what? Fine. I'm going to allow this."

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The fact that they are all people are talking about in this thread is a clear example of wight privilege.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Honestly, I'm more looking towards the Silver Blades campaign, my first introduction to DnD in general. I never made it far in, but I certainly had fun. Also, for whatever reason, they decided to allow you to adjust the stats at character creation.

"Okay, we're trusting you to actually put down what's on your character sheet and be honest about it ---"

" lol ok "

tbf Blades kind of needs it. Like it'd be helpful for Bonds, but not strictly necessary. Blades is just a Baton Death March through 50x50 dungeon after 50x50 dungeon and it's really obnoxious to get off the starting blocks and get good gear without god tier stats. Not impossible, but obnoxious.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JustJeff88 posted:

The fact that they are all people are talking about in this thread is a clear example of wight privilege.

Racism is privilege plus power so you can't be racist against wight people since they drain levels with a touch

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Gilgamesh255 posted:

" lol ok "

Every game in the series does this. I have a feeling most of the later games just keyed their difficulty level assuming you would do it (as well as save scum your HP gains on every level up).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Didn't somebody run the numbers and discover the amount of monsters spawn is scaled with stats so maxing out stats actually hosed you over in some gold box games? I think it was in the FATAL & Friends thread.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
PoR is the only Gold Box game that does that, I think, though I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Robindaybird posted:

Didn't somebody run the numbers and discover the amount of monsters spawn is scaled with stats so maxing out stats actually hosed you over in some gold box games? I think it was in the FATAL & Friends thread.

achtungnight posted:

PoR is the only Gold Box game that does that, I think, though I could be wrong.

I thought that it was all of them, but I'd like to hear a definitive answer on this if anyone has one. I'm all-but-certain that PoR does, but I believe, with less conviction, that the rest also do despite introducing a number of good QoL features.