Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Delthalaz posted:

Typical french chateaus have phasers (which look like guns again now) hidden under every surface. Gotta be prepared for the impending RaHoWa.

Weird, right? Are a couple of Romulan secret police living there or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it made sense that the former secret agents would have guns stashed everywhere, I don't understand how the scientician lady got there or how she had a gun too though, it felt like they cut something there

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It was weirdly edited. And not in the Jason Bourne way of everything being too-fast on the cuts and too-close up. It was pretty easy to tell what was happening in each shot. But in between shots people would move all over the place.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Delsaber posted:

Phlox's weird surgery made Porthos immortal and he's now the captain.

Porthos is lost in time and space after Scotty tried some transporter trick and failed.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

It was weirdly edited. And not in the Jason Bourne way of everything being too-fast on the cuts and too-close up. It was pretty easy to tell what was happening in each shot. But in between shots people would move all over the place.

Did they ever leave that room, though? Where did she get the gun from? It was like she showed up, saw stuff was going on, went in the front door, picked up a gun that had been dropped by somebody in another room, then shot somebody that was at the door the room everybody was in, without having any clue of what was actually going on. That whole sequence of events didn't make much sense to me.

As far as the complaints people have, so far I've been really enjoying the show. The jumping back and forth between stories is a little annoying, but I can deal with it. I think I'm coming in a lot more blind than a lot of people though, as I wasn't even aware the show was in production (and as such followed no news or speculation about it) until the day after the pilot.

I'm hoping it will pick up a bit now that most of the crew building part is taken care of. I want to know more about how Rios knew they had to leave right now or what was coming though. Did that get alluded to at all, and I just missed it?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Kim Pine picked up the rifle from one of the first attackers that was disabled when Irish Romulan took up station at the door to the study. The fight moved into the room as they got overwhelmed, and in comes Kim.

So Vulcan Head Of Intelligence or whoever shows up wearing shades. Only, ostensibly a Vulcan, she hails from a desert planet, and canonically has nictitating membranes to deal with bright light. So, is this her using her Vulcan powers of logic to decide that she looks more menacing wearing sunglasses, but fucks it up by picking goofy ones? Doesn't seem plausible. Is she actually a Romulan, who've perhaps lost this feature over the millennia?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nullsmack posted:

Porthos is lost in time and space after Scotty tried some transporter trick and failed.

By the way, has anyone ever read the Porthos article on Memory Alpha? They literally mark every whimper and lick that dog does in the series.

Also:

quote:

The Star Trek: Waypoint, Issue 4 story "The Fragile Beauty of Loyalty" sees Porthos volunteer to travel back in time to Archer's childhood and rescue him after young Archer falls through the ice, following a Temporal Cold War attempt to kill him before he reaches adulthood.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Have we considered that maybe Commodore Cool just likes wearing the shades?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:c00l:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They were so nobody could recognize her. Unfortunately, Vulcan etiquette also demands a full introduction including family and rank.

It wasn't a thought out plan.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

I want a 10,000 word long form oral history piece on the process that led to those shades appearing on screen.

e: like this amazing story about move along home's infamous hopskotch scene that came up thanks to an intern

adaz fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 7, 2020

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I'm just saying, Robin Curtis' Saavik could have pulled off those shades. Kirstie Alley's, I don't think so.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Brawnfire posted:

They were so nobody could recognize her. Unfortunately, Vulcan etiquette also demands a full introduction including family and rank.

It wasn't a thought out plan.

Commodore Oh, Chief of Starfleet Security and Zhat Vash spy, how can I be of assistance?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
"Zhat Vash? More like Romulan Trash" :smuggo:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

MichiganCubbie posted:

The thing that I don't get is that Vulcans and Romulans split in 370 AD. That's basically 2000 years before the TNG era. How did they diverge so much in look, as to have the heavy brows? They should still basically look identical, but for stuff like beign taller or shorter because of different gravity.

Eh, I suppose if Klingons can get rid of their ridges because of a virus, Romulans can have something happen to them too.

you can ALSO just do plastic surgery, like they do in one million episodes of star trek since the original series.

i read Commodore Oh as being a Secret Romulan, because she's talking to a Romulan, that she knows is a Romulan. the only one out of the loop is the Admiral/C-in-C, who's butthurt at Picard and trusts her Vulcan Chief of Security.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Why didn't Raffi just smoke weed instead of "snakeleaf"? What, are they afraid of being too POLITICAL on their star trek political allegory show???

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paper Lion posted:

Why didn't Raffi just smoke weed instead of "snakeleaf"? What, are they afraid of being too POLITICAL on their star trek political allegory show???

Everything in Star Trek has some space name. Off the top of my head: Klingon blood wine. Romulan ale. Aldebaran whisky. And that's without the stuff in alien languages like Kanar or raktajino. Come to think of it, it's like that in soooo much TV sci fi. Nothing's ever a thing it's always a alien race or planet food or animal or aphorism. More legs than a Jimjom swamphorse.

Also it's the height of human arrogance to assume the dankest poo poo in two quadrants comes from earth.

Unrelated:
Drinkin Coffee with Raffi

Furtherly unrelated: I was watching the Data small talk routine clip and they assert that Tellaria has neither a magnetic pole nor an atmosphere. Aren't they a founding member of the Federation

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 7, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HD DAD posted:

2. The direction, cinematography, and production style is not what people want or expect in a Trek show.

For hwat it's worth I like the direction, cinematography, and production style. The Romulan disruptor designs are a bit over the top but that's it. I like the costumes and the sets and the fairly restrained but more-modern camera style.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

zoux posted:

Everything in Star Trek has some space name. Off the top of my head: Klingon blood wine. Romulan ale. Aldebaran whisky. And that's without the stuff in alien languages like Kanar or raktajino. Come to think of it, it's like that in soooo much TV sci fi. Nothing's ever a thing it's always a alien race or planet food or animal or aphorism. More legs than a Jimjom swamphorse.

Also it's the height of human arrogance to assume the dankest poo poo in two quadrants comes from earth.

Unrelated:
Drinkin Coffee with Raffi

chateau picard aint makin no space wine buddy

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, the only part of the production design that’s been lacking so far are the ships. But that’s been a problem in Trek for 20 years now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What is this, what did you say, Terran Grape Wine? Bah it pairs terribly with gagh! It barely agitates the worms in my third stomach.

Chancellor Garçon, bring us your strongest 'Iw HIq at once!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Belzoidian purple kush

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Belzoidian purple kush

This made me think that Betazoid drugs must be crazy af

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

For hwat it's worth I like the direction, cinematography, and production style. The Romulan disruptor designs are a bit over the top but that's it. I like the costumes and the sets and the fairly restrained but more-modern camera style.

Oh I like it too. Disco can get a little over the top, but modern Trek should look like a modern show. And I say this as someone who also really likes the “1993 Hewlett-Packard wrapped in carpet” aesthetic of 90s Trek.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I bet Freecloud is some space libertopia floatilla

Also, they said "hire" and "expensive" but not "money" or "currency" there are ways to hire and ways for things to be expensive without explicit Republic Credits

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Brawnfire posted:

Betazoid LSD just blocks your telepathic abilities so you can lie on the floor and tell all your friends how useless you are now for some reason.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

Oh I like it too. Disco can get a little over the top, but modern Trek should look like a modern show. And I say this as someone who also really likes the “1993 Hewlett-Packard wrapped in carpet” aesthetic of 90s Trek.

I dunno I kind of think Star Trek should try to look like the future and not like whatever poo poo looks like now. There are bits and pieces I like but on the whole nothing really feels cohesive and it kind of sucks that there's not much differentiating STD era with the 24th century now. At least when they reused the shuttles from ST:V for TNG they cut up the set a bit and get it new nacelles.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, the only part of the production design that’s been lacking so far are the ships. But that’s been a problem in Trek for 20 years now.

I'm actually kind of okay with this since it seems to be explicitly not a ship-centric show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The bridge of the ship is serviceable enough and I actually think the exterior says "Hero Ship"

more like "Budget Hero Ship" maybe, but it does

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Betazoid LSD just blocks your telepathic abilities so you can lie on the floor and tell all your friends how useless you are now for some reason.

"Do you ever think about, like, how cool it would be if we couldn't see inside each others' heads? Like, if everyone had their own thoughts? Man that would be fuckin' crazy. Do you think there'd be world peace?"

"Why the gently caress are you asking me, you already know what I think, bro."

"Yeah :("

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Timby posted:

I am not entirely sure I like the idea of taking three episodes of a ten-episode season in order to finally get things loving moving.
The show is a reflection of the character it portrays. It takes Jean Luc 3 hours to get out of bed for his old-man 10 hour day before he goes back to sleep again, so too will the show.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Brawnfire posted:

It would be like Dust from Babylon 5, with the added side effect of making the user ramble "great joy and gratitude" over and over.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

for those of you getting your hopes up about this shows future, the next time on seemed to be indicating a whole episode of picard trying to convince the romulan sword action man to join the crew so lmao about pacing concerns, all 10 episodes are lookin to be a drag

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Bloop posted:

The bridge of the ship is serviceable enough and I actually think the exterior says "Hero Ship"

I mean, we don't even know how long they'll be on that ship. For all we know, they'll ditch it for something else in three episodes.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"Oh, man, I can feel my mind contracting! I can no longer feel the interconnectedness of all living things!"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I mean, we don't even know how long they'll be on that ship. For all we know, they'll ditch it for something else in three episodes.

Sure, the stolen matte black Enterprise-G-31 with spore drive, phase cloak, and mega-canon

But for now

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

The Bloop posted:

The ship also has a purely conicidental i'm sure striking resemblence to mass effects normandy. Which there are far worse franchises to pay homage to than mass effect but its a radical departure for typical federation style.

I will fight to the death on this one but the coolest ships in ST have always been the small ones. Delta Flyer. Defiant.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

As you may know, Admiral Picard, at this facility we have made great advances in biotech. We have learned how to combine the shape-shifting abilities of the Founders with synthetic life forms. May I present to you the new, most valuable member of your crew...

ODATA, the Odo and Data combination that kicks rear end and takes names!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

As you may know, Admiral Picard, at this facility we have made great advances in biotech. We have learned how to combine the shape-shifting abilities of the Founders with synthetic life forms. May I present to you the new, most valuable member of your crew...

ODATA, the Odo and Data combination that kicks rear end and takes names!

Admiral Picard, or JL as the kids call you, we've also made strides in holographic assimilation. May I present the emergency assimilation hologram

*borgified robert picardo*

*laser light fills the camera*

"please state the nature of the assimiliation"