Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if you dont need tires right away, hold out for a discount tire sale...they can be quite good if you double dip on rebates (use their store credit card)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Costco also rotates money off on Bridgestone and Michelin tires and also has 1 cent installation promos as well.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

The current goofy 16" wheels on the GSW are just killing me so I'll probably move sooner than later on that. I will keep that advice in mind for my S4 though where I think the PS4s would really do the most good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’d gladly pay $60 more a corner for a PS4S/PSS over a DW, having lived with both.

same but probably not on a golf wagon

my golf wagon is gonna wear the stock summer tires until they wear out

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

BraveUlysses posted:

if you dont need tires right away, hold out for a discount tire sale...they can be quite good if you double dip on rebates (use their store credit card)

I don't need another credit card, but I can def wait for a sale.

This is on a Mk7 Golf R, so it can def take advantage of the good tires

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

2013 Jetta, is there any way to make the dash/gauge lights not turn on until the headlights/taillights are turned on? Partner got the car and it doesn't even have DRL which is crazy because we're in Canada where they're mandatory. But yeah they don't remember to turn their lights on sometimes and I'm worried they're going to get in an accident. The 2003 Jetta they had didn't turn the dash lights on until the headlights were on. The car doesn't have the MFD, it's the base model. I tried turning the DRL on with the turn indicator stalk method but it didn't work and I read after that it wouldn't work on cars newer than 2010 anyways.

Any thoughts?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Deviant posted:

I don't need another credit card, but I can def wait for a sale.

This is on a Mk7 Golf R, so it can def take advantage of the good tires

its a store credit card so i mean they give them out to anybody with a pulse

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

VelociBacon posted:

2013 Jetta, is there any way to make the dash/gauge lights not turn on until the headlights/taillights are turned on? Partner got the car and it doesn't even have DRL which is crazy because we're in Canada where they're mandatory. But yeah they don't remember to turn their lights on sometimes and I'm worried they're going to get in an accident. The 2003 Jetta they had didn't turn the dash lights on until the headlights were on. The car doesn't have the MFD, it's the base model. I tried turning the DRL on with the turn indicator stalk method but it didn't work and I read after that it wouldn't work on cars newer than 2010 anyways.

Any thoughts?

My 2013 Golf has an ambient light sensor in the gauge face that actively dims the numbers down as it gets darker, until you flip your headlights on. I'm not sure if it's specific to the model or the trim level, but it's been a good enough 'heads up' driving from daylight to dusk. It should be standard, across all models and manufacturers. Always-on dashboards are a problem.

You might try looking at an OBDEleven unit to see what features you can enable. I've gained stuff like a DRL on/off menu in the MFD, disabled seatbelt chime, added roll up/down windows with the key fob, etc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NoWake posted:

My 2013 Golf has an ambient light sensor in the gauge face that actively dims the numbers down as it gets darker, until you flip your headlights on. I'm not sure if it's specific to the model or the trim level, but it's been a good enough 'heads up' driving from daylight to dusk. It should be standard, across all models and manufacturers. Always-on dashboards are a problem.

You might try looking at an OBDEleven unit to see what features you can enable. I've gained stuff like a DRL on/off menu in the MFD, disabled seatbelt chime, added roll up/down windows with the key fob, etc.

Thanks, I'll have to ask around.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My 2015 GTI won't pass emissions, their test says fuel system + evap system not ready. VCDS only complains about the evap system.

Any guesses as to what it might be? Battery was replaced a few months ago, but I'd expect all the readiness checks to have completed by now.

I've been trying to run the IDE00553 Automatic test sequence, but I get a 'Temperature too low' error... I'm guessing that's ambient temperature?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

devicenull posted:

My 2015 GTI won't pass emissions, their test says fuel system + evap system not ready. VCDS only complains about the evap system.

Any guesses as to what it might be? Battery was replaced a few months ago, but I'd expect all the readiness checks to have completed by now.

I've been trying to run the IDE00553 Automatic test sequence, but I get a 'Temperature too low' error... I'm guessing that's ambient temperature?

For what it's worth,

some poo poo I found online posted:

Step 1: Cold Start — The ECM determines the presence of a cold start by comparing the engine coolant temperature to the ambient air temperature during startup. The engine is considered cold when:
• Engine coolant temperature is below 122°F.
• Engine coolant and intake air temperatures are within 11°F of each other at startup. During this period, the O2S heater, misfire, AIR, fuel system, and EVAP monitors run.
Step 2: Idle 2 1/2 Minutes — Turn the air conditioning (A/C) and headlights on to help the misfire monitor—the additional electrical loads help even out combustion pulses. During this period, the O2S heater, AIR, EVAP, misfire, and possibly fuel system (if operating in closed loop) monitors run.
Step 3: Accelerate — Prior to accelerating, turn off the A/C and headlights (if you had them on during step 2). Open the throttle halfway until you reach 55 mph. During acceleration, the misfire, fuel system, and EVAP monitors run.
Step 4: Steady State Cruise 3 Minutes — During this portion of the cycle, the O2S, AIR, EGR, EVAP, misfire, and fuel system monitors run.
Step 5: Decelerate — Gradually coast down to 20 mph without applying the brakes. Also, on manual transmission vehicles, remain in high gear and do not press the clutch. During this period, the EGR, EVAP, and fuel system monitors run.
Step 6: Accelerate—Apply ¾ throttle until reaching 60 MPH. During acceleration, the misfire, fuel system, and EVAP monitors run.
Step 7: Steady State Cruise 5 Minutes — During this period, the CAT, O2S, AIR, EGR, EVAP, misfire, and fuel system monitors run.
Step 8: Decelerate — Gradually coast down to 0 mph without applying the brakes. Also, on manual transmission vehicles, remain in high gear and do not press the clutch. During this portion of the Drive Cycle, the EGR, EVAP, and fuel system monitors run.
NOTE: If the CAT is marginal and the battery was disconnected prior to the drive cycle, it may take up to five separate drive cycles in order to determine the state of the catalytic converter.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

For what it's worth,

Yea, I just found the steps in the repair manual... (under Generic Scan Tool, not Engine).

I'll give it a shot, but I can't imagine not having done all that in the last few months.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The coasting down thing is the one I can't imagine normally doing.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

devicenull posted:

Yea, I just found the steps in the repair manual... (under Generic Scan Tool, not Engine).

I'll give it a shot, but I can't imagine not having done all that in the last few months.

FWIW the car was too cold to run through the EVAP tests. I put it in a heated garage for a few hours and was able to run it through the automatic test sequence.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are there any huge glaring issues with 2011 Audi A4 Avant Wagons? This one in particular is an auto quattro 2.0T Premium Plus. Looks like the guy wants 10.9k for it, which seems high, but it's:

quote:

Purchased this vehicle from another Porsche owner back in May of 2017 with 90K miles. Tastefully modded with RS Grill, S Brakes and calipers all around, Rotor Style OEM wheels and H&R Coilovers. Turn’s heads, gets lots of thumbs ups.
The car has been rock solid and has served me well with its large cargo space (biker). I have meticulously maintained it. New Brakes, New Michelin Pilot Sports on all 4 corners, all other maintenance performed per books. 5k mile Synthetic oil changes.

134k miles.

Not a ton of miles, I'd be driving 5kish miles/year mainly as an around town beater.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Residency Evil posted:

Are there any huge glaring issues with 2011 Audi A4 Avant Wagons? This one in particular is an auto quattro 2.0T Premium Plus. Looks like the guy wants 10.9k for it, which seems high, but it's:

134k miles.

Not a ton of miles, I'd be driving 5kish miles/year mainly as an around town beater.

Piston rings and associated oil consumption (may have been recalled/fixed by Audi). Price is high in my opinion

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willroc7 posted:

Piston rings and associated oil consumption (may have been recalled/fixed by Audi). Price is high in my opinion

Yeah apparently the oil consumption thing was fixed.

Seems like Edmunds/KBB are listing it for 6-7k or so. Maybe 8k is fair for a clean example?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 18, 2020

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah apparently the oil consumption thing was fixed.

Seems like Edmunds/KBB are listing it for 6-7k or so. Maybe 8k is fair for a clean example?

I'd say KBB is low for a rare-ish care like an avant but yea, somewhere in the 8-9k range seems reasonable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Guess who's back:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Oo3icQ_&ampcf=1

TL;DR: Diesels back. Hopefully VW isnt just cheating again, given that Trump's EPA would be unlikely to enforce emissions violations against them.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willroc7 posted:

I'd say KBB is low for a rare-ish care like an avant but yea, somewhere in the 8-9k range seems reasonable.

lol, 2 (minor) accidents on the carfax.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How difficult is it to replace the washer fluid reservoir on a mk5 GTI/Golf? I'm pretty sure mine is leaking.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I read that you have to pull the bumper to get to it. That's why my car flashed a yellow light at me every three seconds with the same intensity as low fuel or coolant for 5+ years. (the fill sensor went bad, I blame Rain-X)

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Did a thing yesterday

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
So I had an issue with my MK 2 Jetta 8V today. It started sputtering and would completely die randomly, but run great like normal for a while, then repeat. It died a couple times on the freeway on my way home from work, and downshifting and popping the clutch didn't get it to start every time. It seems like it isn't getting spark randomly, so I took the distributer and rotor of and scraped all the connections. This got it to start back up, but then it started doing the same thing again. The cap and rotor don't look horrible, but I ordered new ones anyway. The issue is very intermittent, and the car runs great, until it doesn't. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem if the cap and rotor doesn't fix the issue?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I had an ignition relay go bad in my 93 Passat - there were cracks in the solder on the board inside the relay housing. Along the several points in the path of checking for spark, this was the hardest to detect since it was so intermittent.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

rally posted:

Did a thing yesterday

Nice! I still can't decide if I want rotors or something more exotic for my B8.5

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rally posted:

Did a thing yesterday

That's a good thing to do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Uthor posted:

I read that you have to pull the bumper to get to it. That's why my car flashed a yellow light at me every three seconds with the same intensity as low fuel or coolant for 5+ years. (the fill sensor went bad, I blame Rain-X)

the good (?) news is that for german cars that's service position so it's not too hard to do

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

german car ownership involves a lot of time spent in the service position iykwim

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Uncle Lizard posted:

So I had an issue with my MK 2 Jetta 8V today. It started sputtering and would completely die randomly, but run great like normal for a while, then repeat. It died a couple times on the freeway on my way home from work, and downshifting and popping the clutch didn't get it to start every time. It seems like it isn't getting spark randomly, so I took the distributer and rotor of and scraped all the connections. This got it to start back up, but then it started doing the same thing again. The cap and rotor don't look horrible, but I ordered new ones anyway. The issue is very intermittent, and the car runs great, until it doesn't. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem if the cap and rotor doesn't fix the issue?

Sputtering first sounds more like a fuel problem. Does it seem to die more often going up hills or under load? Run longer at idle then die? Fuel pickup or filter might be clogging and cutting off fuel flow slowly. If this is the case or if the fuel pump itself it failing it might make weird noise (if it's cavitating) or none at all if it's failing intermittently. When it dies try hitting the fuel tank with something like a piece of 2x4 and see if the fuel pump starts working when you do that. You should be able to hear it in the tank when you turn the key on before start for 5 seconds or so.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

shy boy from chess club posted:

Sputtering first sounds more like a fuel problem. Does it seem to die more often going up hills or under load? Run longer at idle then die? Fuel pickup or filter might be clogging and cutting off fuel flow slowly. If this is the case or if the fuel pump itself it failing it might make weird noise (if it's cavitating) or none at all if it's failing intermittently. When it dies try hitting the fuel tank with something like a piece of 2x4 and see if the fuel pump starts working when you do that. You should be able to hear it in the tank when you turn the key on before start for 5 seconds or so.

So car didn't start at all this morning. I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key, the engine turns over just fine, and I can smell fuel after trying to start it. I have no spark it seems, and I have no idea why. I'm taking it to a shop instead of throw parts at the issue, and I don't have the time or a place to work on it. I'll keep the thread updated when I find out what the problem is. I predict that this will cost $997 and change before tax.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yeah that kills my theory. Only other thing I could think of for sputtering and dying is the ICM failing when it got hot and now it's gone completely but I don't know where it is on that vintage VW

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

There looks to be some really deep discounts to be had on the remaining 2019 6MT Alltracks on various dealer lots around the country. I'm really freakin' tempted to gamble on one, especially since they should still have the 6 year warranty.

I'm especially tempted by the SEL because I like the higher end features (LED lights, Adaptive CC, better infotainment/sound, etc), but internet forums make it sound like the pano roof is guaranteed to leak and that it's not really truly avoidable/fixable. I could potentially be swayed to save the cash and avoid the problem by getting a base model S trim, but there are even reports of the base S trim slicktop leaking??

Is it as bad as the forums make it out to be, or is it a case of only people that have the issue posting about it? It seems like most complaints are on the 2017 model year, but a few folks have said they've had issues with 18s and 19s, too.

The Alltrack ticks a whole lot of boxes for me (reasonable size, manual trans, AWD wagon) and it seems like it's a last-of-its-kind vehicle, but water intrusion is a really serious problem that I don't want to gently caress with.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
We have a 2019 SEL and it's pretty great. Our sunroof is fixed(knock on wood)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

We have a 2019 SEL and it's pretty great. Our sunroof is fixed(knock on wood)

As in, it was leaking and the dealer had to fix it? What was the process and the fix?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You’ve got a 6 year warranty, just get the SEL and have them fix it if it leaks. Sell it before the warranty is up if it has issues.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

The main thing about that idea I read is that they often can't successfully fix it, as in its out for service for awhile, they say it's fixed, then it leaks again.

That said I did buy the base model GSW non all track even tho I also read it's possible for the non pano roof model to leak too.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Guinness posted:

As in, it was leaking and the dealer had to fix it? What was the process and the fix?

Yes - it was leaking almost immediately after we bought it and we were pissed. They replaced the seal and I'm sure some other poo poo and it hasn't appeared to leak since.

It required dropping the headliner a bunch, a new headliner, etc. They kept loving up putting some clips back but we made them fix it all. It's honestly great other than that first issue. It's my wife's car and she loves it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You’ve got a 6 year warranty, just get the SEL and have them fix it if it leaks. Sell it before the warranty is up if it has issues.

I understand that sentiment, but it's a real kick in the balls to have your brand new car in for service for weeks/months while they attempt to fix it, only to possibly not actually have it permanently fixed.

Edit: as an alternate wacky idea what about a CPO Audi Allroad, those are bulletproof right? :v: No manual trans though :(

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i mean you're gonna have a warranty and it clearly doesnt happen on of the cars they build with sunroofs. if it was happening often enough they would redesign their way around it.