Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kith posted:

i have a feeling that it was a deliberate choice to have the credits include didier's centaur concept art that came with the culture study notes about how they're all inbred

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

"Mongoloid" :thunk:

Where does it say that?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Kith posted:

i have a feeling that it was a deliberate choice to have the credits include didier's centaur concept art that came with the culture study notes about how they're all inbred

Sam Didier is also the guy who wrote 'Not a queen like Aquaman' in the murloc song and is good mates with the Corpsegrinder guy who called Alliance players 'faggots' at Blizzcon. Also his art site had quotes like 'Words of Wisdom: "Dump that Bitch! Brothers are forever." – "Hail and Kill!"' on it, and listed his favourite bands as Pantera, Slayer and Zakk Wylde and his favourite books are 'military history'. Bog standard nerd fash through and through. Even the name 'Sons of the Storm' sounds like a far-right boy's club.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

jackhunter64 posted:

Sam Didier is also the guy who wrote 'Not a queen like Aquaman' in the murloc song and is good mates with the Corpsegrinder guy who called Alliance players 'faggots' at Blizzcon. Also his art site had quotes like 'Words of Wisdom: "Dump that Bitch! Brothers are forever." – "Hail and Kill!"' on it, and listed his favourite bands as Pantera, Slayer and Zakk Wylde and his favourite books are 'military history'. Bog standard nerd fash through and through. Even the name 'Sons of the Storm' sounds like a far-right boy's club.

I can't find it now, but they got into trouble in Germany years ago (at Gamescom?), because they wanted to use a nazi-adjacent slogan for WoW, during the Warlords expansion iirc. Something like "blood and soil"? My google-fu is bad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

mike12345 posted:

I can't find it now, but they got into trouble in Germany years ago (at Gamescom?), because they wanted to use a nazi-adjacent slogan for WoW, during the Warlords expansion iirc. Something like "blood and soil"? My google-fu is bad.

Yeah it was Blood and Soil in Legion.

At one stage (the beta for vanilla?) Warlocks had an ability called "Holocaust" too.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Cuntellectual posted:

Where does it say that?
Nowhere in that document, I just thought it was funny (:thunk: not :v:) that they're supposed to be inbred and are coded Mongolian, judging by their costumes, structures and props.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah it was Blood and Soil in Legion.

At one stage (the beta for vanilla?) Warlocks had an ability called "Holocaust" too.
*infinite :stonk:*

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Tubgoat posted:

Nowhere in that document, I just thought it was funny (:thunk: not :v:) that they're supposed to be inbred and are coded Mongolian, judging by their costumes, structures and props.

*infinite :stonk:*

Which is hilarious when you think about ghengis Khan's infamous seed spread across the world.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

jackhunter64 posted:

– "Hail and Kill!"' on it, and listed his favourite bands as Pantera, Slayer and Zakk Wylde

But none of those are Manowar!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

quote:

At the Seige of Dalaran, just mass Frost Wyrms and loop around the back of the city. You’ll see the pedestal and just attack south of there. As you approach, Arthas and Kel-Thuzad will be warped into the arena (due to a cutscene) vs. Antonidas +units, kill the first wave, focus Antonidas on the second wave, and the mission is over. There are no defenses, at all, on the north of the map. You don’t even need to enter the city, and only the fight is within the degen field.

In the original version, it’s not possible to do this because the degen field covers the entire map north of a certain point, but the new version has empty land surrounding the city, making it stupid easy to loop around with Undead heavy air, and the Frost Wyrms have enough HP to tank the fight without Unholy. I accidentally trigged the scene with a scouting Garg, lost both heroes, massed Wyrms and won.

This was thoughtless.

Small indie dev indeed.

lmao

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
This is the gift that keeps on giving.

If that gift was explosive diarrhea

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
If that gift was sick-rear end chain stuns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bAdjH7AzPY

Although it's definitely a shame we're not going to get proper matchmaking before the playerbase dives again. Just like PUBG before it, the most fun you can have with your friends online happens to also be a broken piece of garbage.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Lack of ladder does suck, but it probably helps TOWA get funnier matches in the short term. Long-term hard-core WC3 players will get way angrier than random WoW pubs.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tawBVoSqQIY

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So based off of videos I've been seeing on YouTube, I guess Blizzard isn't too diligent about the EULA with custom games because as long as you don't label the game as "pimp my peon" then they don't know you're breaking the EULA.

great job, great job

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

the games keep rolling in

i have the flu so i was up at 5am eastern to play some nice morning games with my eurofriends. first, we had a fastclick stranglethorn where there was nonstop action straight from heroes coming out until main mines ran out. this is the game the video iggy linked above is from. Replay | VOD

then we had a nice hourlong birthday bash for our birthday boy Mata. we had races unbecoming of a perch and the enemy DK got the blink dagger so we were stuck on the ground on this upking. but it was still a delight. kind of the inverse of the first game - that was nonstop tier 1 early game play all game, this one was 30 straight minutes of lategame antisiege until their spirits were broken. Replay | VOD

for this next one i have to rewind a bit because i don't think i posted it here. a couple weeks ago, Iceberg-Slim and i had an extreme 2s game on Centaur Grove versus a decent duo. it went for 90 minutes and we nearly lost it multiple times but eventually pulled it off at the very last second. i'm talking level 10 warden and death&decay killing everything while we repeatedly fall back to backup tower blocks. the talkative guy on the other team, cdawg3x, took offense to me calling him an owned racist noob and after they lost he chatted with me for a while about how it's actually good and correct to say racist stuff.

anyway, this evening we're queuing for 4s and i notice that cdawg is doing so as well. what do you know, we ran into him! this game had some of the best chat we've gotten in a while. Replay | VOD

quote:

(29:12 / All) Vee: adding every one of you to my tk list
(29:24 / All) Vee: i am murk for the rest of my life if ur on my team
(29:28 / All) Vee: just for being a loving jackass

oh yeah we didn't VOD it but this game was pretty close and we supposedly got reported for our "tact"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Aces High posted:

So based off of videos I've been seeing on YouTube, I guess Blizzard isn't too diligent about the EULA with custom games because as long as you don't label the game as "pimp my peon" then they don't know you're breaking the EULA.

great job, great job

I mean, it's the same EULA Starcraft 2 has, and my understanding is that Blizzard basically ignores copyright stuff there, too. It's why some people were laughing at the people panicking about the EULA.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

I mean, it's the same EULA Starcraft 2 has, and my understanding is that Blizzard basically ignores copyright stuff there, too. It's why some people were laughing at the people panicking about the EULA.

Well Blizzard did shut down the guys trying to remake SC in the SC 2 engine via the map creator. And WC3 iirc.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

CyberPingu posted:

Well Blizzard did shut down the guys trying to remake SC in the SC 2 engine via the map creator. And WC3 iirc.

Lmao, for making actual remasters of the loving games.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

lmao if you test a map in the editor and then try to exit the game from the main menu it throws an error because you're offline but also using an unregistered profile

CyberPingu posted:

Uhhh, what? Mass Recall is still going, last I checked. Or were you talking about something else?

Edit: I looked into it and... you're pretty wrong, overall. The only limitation against using Blizzard assets in SCII is remaking campaign maps or Nova: Covert Ops maps (because those are paid content) and the only "import projects" that Blizzard has canceled are based on things that Blizzard itself doesn't own, like Barcraft or whatever that Age of Empires copy was.

Kith fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 9, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Kith posted:

lmao if you test a map in the editor and then try to exit the game from the main menu it throws an error because you're offline but also using an unregistered profile

Uhhh, what? Mass Recall is still going, last I checked. Or were you talking about something else?

Edit: I looked into it and... you're pretty wrong, overall. The only limitation against using Blizzard assets in SCII is remaking campaign maps or Nova: Covert Ops maps (because those are paid content) and the only "import projects" that Blizzard has canceled are based on things that Blizzard itself doesn't own, like Barcraft or whatever that Age of Empires copy was.

This was way back when SC2 first launched. So might have changed since then but it wasn't mass recall. That came about later.

It might have been WC3, not SC now that I think about it. gently caress knows how they were doing it.

I really wish the guy that was making that SC MMO in SC2 was still going as well, that looked really fun.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 9, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm not saying it didn't happen because it certainly sounds plausible, but I'd like to see a source on that because I'm pretty sure it didn't happen.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I don't understand the custom maps debate, what rights did people have to WC3 maps before reforged?
People seem to be under the impression that maps with copyright infringing material was allowed before but uhh.. that can't really be the case, can it?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mata posted:

I don't understand the custom maps debate, what rights did people have to WC3 maps before reforged?
People seem to be under the impression that maps with copyright infringing material was allowed before but uhh.. that can't really be the case, can it?
Maps were never on the blizzard servers. You could do whatever you wanted. It was exclusively peer to peer with the game host acting as the server. Maybe certain things weren't allowed, but there was 0 enforcement and 0 ability to enforce any EULA in terms of what was played. I've no idea what rights you had to the maps in normal wc3, but given 5+ games have released based on wc3 maps I'm going with you probably had rights to everything except Blizzard's assets.

In SC2 the server is still the server which is why you always had a million ping even in customs.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mata posted:

The gameplay concepts and balance. Basically, players were free to take whatever they made, replace all of the Blizzard-specific parts, and then sell it as their own - literally what happened with DotA, along with several other games that didn't get nearly as much press.

Mata posted:

They were indeed! It used to be that, because maps were hosted by the user, they could get away with things like DBZ maps and Mario maps and Final Fantasy maps and all kinds of other crazy stuff. Nowadays, because maps are hosted by Blizzard themselves, Blizzard is responsible for the infringing content, and therefore are subject to any Takedown notices they get issued.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mata posted:

The most famous WC3 map in the world has a character who is just Lina Inverse from the anime Slayers and it's not even a subtle wink nod sort of thing

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Fair enough, you hosted the maps on your own machine before. I still don't think you were allowed to host copyright infringing material but now it's probably blizzard's problem to a greater extent. That's tricky though because being able to host custom games is one of the few things reforged brings to the table, and I think people who haven't played WC3 for a while forget just how big of a pain in the rear end the port forwarding thing was.
I don't think DotA would have turned out different post-reforged, it's pretty difficult to sue someone for copying gameplay concepts and balance.

Mata fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 9, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Kith posted:

I'm not saying it didn't happen because it certainly sounds plausible, but I'd like to see a source on that because I'm pretty sure it didn't happen.

Sorry I got this wrong. It was back in 07 just before SC2 was announced they went after some guys remaking SC1 in the WC3 engine

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So there is matchmaking and an MMR for solo queue at least, which is nice. You can type !mmr in game to see. (Source: Mata)

3k appears to be the max and it definitely appears flawed, but it's not pure random at least. 1500 is what reddit seems to think is the base starting point.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 9, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

CyberPingu posted:

Sorry I got this wrong. It was back in 07 just before SC2 was announced they went after some guys remaking SC1 in the WC3 engine

Oh poo poo, project revolution. I remember that.

Honestly what amazes me is how long they let it go on.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Yeah I don’t think blizzard adding legal CYA language is actually going to result in them banning Goku vs Naruto TD

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Port forwarding hasn't been a thing for years, and wasn't THAT big of an issue

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

CyberPingu posted:

I'm angry at how good that project looks. The page is still up on ModDB, it would've been loving stellar.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

wow, they actually put out a patch

Hey, you're right. I didn't notice but there was indeed a 1.32.1 patch a few days ago.

Patch notes:

Blizzard posted:

Campaign
- Players should no longer be met with a “defeat” screen after loading into a mission.
- Audio levels for some dialogue have been adjusted.
- The animations, triggers, and cameras for some cutscenes have been tweaked.
- Disconnecting or logging out will no longer change the save file folder.
- Fixed a number of issues that would block progression or not give credit for completing missions.
• Developer’s note: Updating a map for these types of fixes invalidates prior saves. This is similar to how replays from prior game client versions no longer work. Campaign progress will not be lost.

Custom Games
- Multiboards should no longer crash custom games.
- Joining lobbies for the same map no longer creates duplicate versions of the map.
• Developer’s note: This also resolves disconnects from improper map names.

Gameplay
- The rendering of Classic mode has been updated.
- Resolved an issue with hitching when constructing buildings or training units for the first time.
- Fixed Ziggurat upgrade animation in Reforged mode.
- Adjusted animations and portraits for multiple units and buildings.
- Units completing training while off-screen again have voices.
- Starting locations are again obscured by the fog of war.

Interface
- Whispers now include the name of the sender.
- Locale settings for audio and subtitles can now be adjusted independently in Battle .net prior to launching the game.
- Non-Latin glyphs no longer overlap.
- A tooltip now displays when hovering over truncated text.
- Chat keeps up with the latest messages.
- Heroes on the match results screen are now contained by boundaries.
- All menus are now distinct between Classic and Reforged graphic settings.
• Developer’s note: We’ve implemented a temporary solution to better inform whether you are playing in Reforged or Classic mode, by applying a sepia tone to the background images for Classic.

Some of these are a bit vague:

"Adjusted animations" (Framerate changes, missing animations restored, which units/buildings?)
"Tweaked some mission cutscenes" (This could mean a whole lot of different things)
"The rendering has been updated" (...okay)

The temporary fix for Classic backgrounds is also really cool. Now every Classic player will have these ugly, washed out sepia backgrounds forced on them.

At least the instant defeat bug is gone. Progress!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Its a good thing this game is still in alpha

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Warcraft 3 is so loving good

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"Oof, I don't know if that's enough information to remember, maybe if you gave me your date of birth and mother's maiden name"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ErrEff posted:

Whispers now include the name of the sender

Lmao that originally you'd just get anonymous whispers

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

quote:

Interface
- Whispers now include the name of the sender.

Triple-loving-A development.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Comrayn posted:

Yeah I don’t think blizzard adding legal CYA language is actually going to result in them banning Goku vs Naruto TD

Even if they don't, the fact that they could at any moment without notice has a strong chilling effect on creators investing their time in making maps.

ErrEff posted:

- Starting locations are again obscured by the fog of war.

heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It's more that it will kill them vis a vis the mapmakers just deciding to stop updating them and moving on to other platforms or creative avenues