Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The English are reverse massholes who add Rs to words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreeMars posted:

Jurassic 5 and Dinosaur jr. are in fact not the same band

surprisingly, Park 5 & World Jr. are

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

TK-42-1 posted:

The English are reverse massholes who add Rs to words.

I was thinking about this exact thing the other day, British English takes out the Rs that are already there and finds new places for them

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

There's a reason they call them "stink bugs" because I just smushed one with my bare hands (didn't have a rolled up newspaper or whatnot handy) and now I'm washing my hands like Lady Macbeth. Bleeeeurrrgh

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

There's a reason they call them "stink bugs" because I just smushed one with my bare hands (didn't have a rolled up newspaper or whatnot handy) and now I'm washing my hands like Lady Macbeth. Bleeeeurrrgh

I have a dog who isn't bright.
She had eaten multiple stink bugs, no matter the warnings, and always looks at whoever is there, like "Why did you let that happen!"

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Stinkbugs are pretty benign thankfully, I used to live in an apartment complex that had an infestation one year many moons ago and it was kind of easier to just scoop them up and kick them outside instead of destroying them and having the smell thing happen. They don't bite or anything to my knowledge, they just look a bit creepy (particularly when flying :ohdear:)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

JacquelineDempsey posted:

It's always bugged bothered me that those are the famous ones while ladybugs smell just as godawful to me, and they're way more common where I've lived. Probably the invasive "not technically ladybugs" kind, but I'm not 100% sure.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lady bugs are pretty famous tho, they look nice and are art of a healthy garden ecosystem.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MariusLecter posted:

Lady bugs are pretty famous tho, they look nice and are art of a healthy garden ecosystem.

Also no one would want to go to a stinkbug picnic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX9J7WcYtxI

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Oh I just mean that everyone ignores how bad they smell despite their positives. It's probably the dumb fake ladybugs though.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Stinkbugs are pretty benign thankfully, I used to live in an apartment complex that had an infestation one year many moons ago and it was kind of easier to just scoop them up and kick them outside instead of destroying them and having the smell thing happen. They don't bite or anything to my knowledge, they just look a bit creepy (particularly when flying :ohdear:)

They absolutely bite. My wife is allergic to their bites.
We normally keep a water bottle about 1/3 full during stink bug season- just scoop, and shake.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

bulletsponge13 posted:

They absolutely bite. My wife is allergic to their bites.
We normally keep a water bottle about 1/3 full during stink bug season- just scoop, and shake.

Whaaat? That's wild (and unfortunate), I've handled so many with my bare hands and never experienced that. We're talking about the same thing, right? These dudes here?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I've never even SEEN a stinkbug, never mind been infested or bitten by them.
Count your blessings, I suppose.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh I just mean that everyone ignores how bad they smell despite their positives. It's probably the dumb fake ladybugs though.

Nope, the real ones definitely smell terrible. I don't know about the fake ones.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who the gently caress goes around sniffing ladybirds?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who the gently caress goes around sniffing ladybirds?

[everyone gathers around and kind of looks uncomfortable] I'm sorry to say, this is an intervention

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

When I was a kid, we went to the nursery and bought a big stinky bag of ladybugs to release into the garden. Also that day I learned ladybugs bite.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There are literally hundreds of species of stink bug. Some bite, some do not.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

When I was a kid, we went to the nursery and bought a big stinky bag of ladybugs to release into the garden. Also that day I learned ladybugs bite.

They RARELY bite which is the worst because it leads to people saying dumb things like "oh don't worry they don't bite" see also: "oh don't worry bumblebees don't sting"

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I discovered ladybugs stink as a kid prodding at them until they "peed" on my hand and then my hands would smell terrible for an hour.

Never got bit by them, but then, they are voracious predators, so it's not surprising.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

On topic: ladybirds aren't bugs.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Whaaat? That's wild (and unfortunate), I've handled so many with my bare hands and never experienced that. We're talking about the same thing, right? These dudes here?

These dudes here.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_marmorated_stink_bug

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Birds aren't ladybugs :aaaaa:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Lady Bird is 100% Georgia bloodhound.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Bats are bugs, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Bats are bugs, though.

Therefore Barts are burgs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Bats are bugs, though.

BATS AREN'T BUGS!!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Captain Hygiene posted:

BATS AREN'T BUGS!!

*hastily rewrites my class presentation*

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

There are many different ladybird beetles too and not all of them are red with black spots.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Well nuts, I guess the safest way to handle any bug really is to handle it indirectly. We used to keep a glass jar with a lid around the house for this express purpose when I was a child. Thankfully all the stink bugs I came across walk like they're in slow motion, there's nothing worse than a bug that's too fast to catch

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well nuts, I guess the safest way to handle any bug really is to handle it indirectly. We used to keep a glass jar with a lid around the house for this express purpose when I was a child. Thankfully all the stink bugs I came across walk like they're in slow motion, there's nothing worse than a bug that's too fast to catch

And here we just put jams or pickled cucumber in them.

I still think our answer to the age-old question "what the gently caress are jars even for?!?!?" was probably better.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

BATS AREN'T BUGS!!
Don't be a Chowder Head

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jerry Cotton posted:

And here we just put jams or pickled cucumber in them.

I still think our answer to the age-old question "what the gently caress are jars even for?!?!?" was probably better.

Jar squatter has the definitive answer.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I lived with an entomologist roommate in Washington DC and she had us catch all the bugs we found in our house under jars, etc. She left special equipment in the house where we could use our breath to aid in catching bugs - may have been called an aspirator or like. I'd get back to our house at night and there'd be a jar with a praying mantis in it, waiting to be catalogued and put outside.

That year living with her I learned lots about bugs and also just how hard entomologists party. She would have her graduate school cohort over for house parties and they were a very raucous (but respectful!) group. Maybe it's all the isolated field work?

Years later, not even living in the same city, I had a weird rash and texted her a picture with no explanatory context. She wrote back "not bed bugs, probably dust mites." Excellent roommate, A+++, would recommend.

Edit: spelling fixed, ty.

WrenP-Complete has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Feb 10, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
entomologist with an o, etymologist with a y

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
But what if you study the origins of bugs' names?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The famous fight for Pegasus Bridge was in Normandy. For some reason I have spent years thinking it was in Holland, during Market Garden.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

packetmantis posted:

But what if you study the origins of bugs' names?

Then you're an etymologist.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The word 'Cherry' is a portmanteau of Cheery and Berry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

MariusLecter posted:

The word 'Cherry' is a portmanteau of Cheery and Berry.
Think we need to bring back the questionable etymology thread title again

Where do you people come up with this stuff?