Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

There are just too many goddamn choices for window blinds/shades. Been agonizing for a couple weeks, thought I'd finally made a decision, had two shades in the cart and.... instead ordered two more samples because the white I was going to order is just too white.

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sirotan posted:

There are just too many goddamn choices for window blinds/shades. Been agonizing for a couple weeks, thought I'd finally made a decision, had two shades in the cart and.... instead ordered two more samples because the white I was going to order is just too white.

:smithicide:

Not sure if this helps at all but people who are offered lots of choices tend to regret their decision more than people only offered a few, and it's nothing to do with the actual quality of the thing they ended up with but lingering FOMO about the other possibilities.

So I guess just say "gently caress it" and buy one that you know at least won't actively annoy you every day and I promise you'll be happy with it in no time.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I painted our fireplace, and in the process dripped some oil based primer on the stone slab. No problem I thought, I'll throw some paint thinner at it when I'm done. So when the painting was finished I put down CitriStrip, let it sit for an hour, and began to scrub. To my unpleasant surprise, it took the coating right off the stone. I didn't even know the stone was coated.

What it looks like now:

My options, as I see it, are to either completely remove the finish, or just paint over it all. I'm amenable to removing the finish, since I like the color of the natural stone more. Before I do though, I'm wondering if you guys can tell me what's actually on here, what the purpose of it is, and the best way to remove it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Not sure if this helps at all but people who are offered lots of choices tend to regret their decision more than people only offered a few, and it's nothing to do with the actual quality of the thing they ended up with but lingering FOMO about the other possibilities.

So I guess just say "gently caress it" and buy one that you know at least won't actively annoy you every day and I promise you'll be happy with it in no time.

Yeah I don't disagree with you at all here. I have made up my mind of style, features, configuration etc and am going to just wait on the color samples that should arrive on Monday to stop waffling. Only reason I didn't pull the trigger is my window trim is kind of a blueish-white and the bright white next to it looked ok but possibly not as good as the other whites I'll see Monday? Just want to be sure before I go and drop a grand on stupid window treatments. :(

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sirotan posted:

Yeah I don't disagree with you at all here. I have made up my mind of style, features, configuration etc and am going to just wait on the color samples that should arrive on Monday to stop waffling. Only reason I didn't pull the trigger is my window trim is kind of a blueish-white and the bright white next to it looked ok but possibly not as good as the other whites I'll see Monday? Just want to be sure before I go and drop a grand on stupid window treatments. :(

When we painted our house, I wanted white for the bathrooms. That's when I discovered there's about a thousand shades of white.

I had picked out about sixteen paint chips before my wife had had enough and randomly picked one. If it wasn't for that, the bathrooms probably still wouldn't be painted.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Wonder_Bread posted:

When we painted our house, I wanted white for the bathrooms. That's when I discovered there's about a thousand shades of white.

I had picked out about sixteen paint chips before my wife had had enough and randomly picked one. If it wasn't for that, the bathrooms probably still wouldn't be painted.

I have to paint nearly every surface in this house, and picking colors has really been a struggle for me. Decided on a whole house color palette and painted the first bedroom this deep navy blue with a white ceiling and white trim. That decision came really easy and I like the color a lot. But now I don't know how I should deal with the second bedroom and the hallway between them. Should both bedrooms be the same color? Or should I make the second bedroom (which will be my office) a lighter shade of the navy blue? Then should the hallway match the office color? Or the bedroom color? Or be a different color entirely? If so, what??

I'm at least going to use the same trim color throughout, and against a navy blue wall it looks bright white. But then I stuck the bright white shade sample next to it and it just looks...off.

...anyway I promise myself and this thread that I will pick a color on Monday after I get my two new samples. My trim color is called "Ice Cube" and one of the white samples I am getting is called "Ice" so I'm hoping it looks better than the "Bright White" sample I've got right now. arghh

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 7, 2020

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
Picking out colors sucked. I'm awful at interior design.

At the advice of my FIL, we went Navajo White for hallways, the kitchen, and the dining room as it goes with pretty much everything. For the living room and bedrooms, we stuck with the basic colors already there (blue, yellow and tan for the bedrooms, green for the living room), but changed the exact color to something we liked better and added a darker accent wall in the living room. Bathrooms got white to offset the colored wall tile. All the trim is Super White.

It is pretty basic, but it was an easy start point. I fully expect to repaint the kitchen, dining room and bathrooms at some point down the road.

Wonder_Bread fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 7, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

For my house I decided what rough colour I wanted for a room (like "deep and warm" or "dark and contrasty"), went down to the paint place, grabbed a couple of swatches, stared hard for about 15 seconds, and picked one. No regrets.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jaded Burnout I wish I could be as brave as you :qq:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My house would basically just be decorated with swatches if the kids didn't take them down

To be fair, that is very closely related to the reason we haven't painted yet

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Colors are very personal, but there's one thing that I know: a clear difference is better than a bad match.

A bad match (e.g. two whites that are close, but that don't quite match or harmonize when you look at them) will almost always end up annoying you. A solution to at least consider would be to get blinds that work with your white trim and other colors but that don't try to duplicate it.

A trick that is often used in combining fabric colors is to go with one that is in the same family but juuuuust a little darker and softer. Myself, for your blinds I'd be looking for a soft taupe because it will complement almost anything else, would look spectacularly rich against your dark blue, and you could even use it as the unifying color among several rooms - but that's a personal decision. Soft pale grey would be another possibility.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Jaded Burnout I wish I could be as brave as you :qq:

Needs must and all that. Sometimes the painter's already on site and you gotta get on with it. Deadlines can be helpful like that, sometimes.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ok so since I am working from home today I actually compared all the samples I've got (selection of grays and whites) for the first time in the daylight (well, as much light there is at noon on a winter day in Michigan) and I have probably been wringing my hands for nothing because all of it looks totally fine, even the bright white:

but the gray also looks nice, maybe better than the white, and really isn't dark at all :ohdear:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I painted our fireplace, and in the process dripped some oil based primer on the stone slab. No problem I thought, I'll throw some paint thinner at it when I'm done. So when the painting was finished I put down CitriStrip, let it sit for an hour, and began to scrub. To my unpleasant surprise, it took the coating right off the stone. I didn't even know the stone was coated.

What it looks like now:

My options, as I see it, are to either completely remove the finish, or just paint over it all. I'm amenable to removing the finish, since I like the color of the natural stone more. Before I do though, I'm wondering if you guys can tell me what's actually on here, what the purpose of it is, and the best way to remove it.

Are you sure that's a stone slab and not just painted concrete?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

ok so since I am working from home today I actually compared all the samples I've got (selection of grays and whites) for the first time in the daylight (well, as much light there is at noon on a winter day in Michigan) and I have probably been wringing my hands for nothing because all of it looks totally fine, even the bright white:

but the gray also looks nice, maybe better than the white, and really isn't dark at all :ohdear:

Part of the problem is you're doing it wrong. Hold it over the window so the light shines through it, that's the true color. The color you almost always want is Cream. Hope that helps.

Kinda like white paint in a bathroom - swiss coffee is the answer. My office walls are Dunn-Edwards swiss coffee and it looks great.

(We're working on art and such for the walls, but the room is so small and we didn't want a bunch of color bleeding everywhere as light reflected off things.)

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 7, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

Part of the problem is you're doing it wrong. Hold it over the window so the light shines through it, that's the true color. The color you almost always want is Cream. Hope that helps.

Kinda like white paint in a bathroom - swiss coffee is the answer. My office walls are Dunn-Edwards swiss coffee and it looks great.

(We're working on art and such for the walls, but the room is so small and we didn't want a bunch of color bleeding everywhere as light reflected off things.)

Cream is bad. Color is good. Add more color. You can also buy museum glass for your frames if you're worried about reflection, works great and better protects your art. Hope that helps.

(And I did take some photos with the shade over the actual window but they are very washed out and not great for the purposes of showing randos on the internet.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Cream is bad. Color is good. Add more color. You can also buy museum glass for your frames if you're worried about reflection, works great and better protects your art. Hope that helps.

(And I did take some photos with the shade over the actual window but they are very washed out and not great for the purposes of showing randos on the internet.)

We have color elsewhere, this is specifically for window coverings and answering the "which shade of white should I paint the bathroom" question. That corner looks particularly desolate, it's why I picked it. It's not the sunlight that we're worried about, it's actual color tinting of things my wife is working on. We're not grading film, but it's nice to not have a reflection of a deeply saturated wall hitting something you're trying to judge color on while working.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pure Brilliant White. Always Pure Brilliant White. Anything else is just a house that needs a wash.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

We have color elsewhere, this is specifically for window coverings and answering the "which shade of white should I paint the bathroom" question. That corner looks particularly desolate, it's why I picked it. It's not the sunlight that we're worried about, it's actual color tinting of things my wife is working on. We're not grading film, but it's nice to not have a reflection of a deeply saturated wall hitting something you're trying to judge color on while working.

How do you like those night/day shades btw? Was briefly considering those for a couple rooms since I couldn't make my mind up on blackout vs light filtering. I think I've mostly decided on light filtering through the entire house now but I'm curious how often you are actually using them in the different configurations.

cream is still bad

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

How do you like those night/day shades btw? Was briefly considering those for a couple rooms since I couldn't make my mind up on blackout vs light filtering. I think I've mostly decided on light filtering through the entire house now but I'm curious how often you are actually using them in the different configurations.

cream is still bad

Our whole main house is light filtering only for privacy with blackout curtains to provide darkness. The office was a compromise between my wife and I where we wanted opposite things. We rarely use them in the light filtering way but the action on them is better than I expected. The top part sorta slinks down a bit and needs to be reset maybe monthly if you care at all. (I hate glare on my monitors so the ones that can cause it are basically always blackout. The edge of light is tolerable.)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

:unsmith:

And to make this less of a white noise post, here is what I've learned about honeycomb shades: it's Bali all the way down. Everyone just resells Bali even if they don't admit it. Figure out what color you want by getting samples from whichever place is most convenient, and then price shop. These sites all have constant sales but as of 2/7/2020, here is what a 27" x 52 1/4" light-filtering 1/2" double-cell corded standard top-down shade in the color Gentle Gray (1534) costs:

Blinds.com: $82.19
Costco: $85.50
JC Penny: $85.50
Blinds Galore: $86.96
Home Depot: $94.38
Lowes: $97.72
Select Blinds: $104.80

Prices don't include tax. Almost every site has free shipping. Blinds.com also gave me a $20 code for signing up for their mailing list.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

:unsmith:

And to make this less of a white noise post, here is what I've learned about honeycomb shades: it's Bali all the way down. Everyone just resells Bali even if they don't admit it. Figure out what color you want by getting samples from whichever place is most convenient, and then price shop. These sites all have constant sales but as of 2/7/2020, here is what a 27" x 52 1/4" light-filtering 1/2" double-cell corded standard top-down shade in the color Gentle Gray (1534) costs:

Blinds.com: $82.19

And if you call a rep they will lower the price for you over the phone. All of ours are cordless which is nice, save for 1 small one over the sink where cordless would be hard for my wife. We're really happy with them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

yaaaaaay termites?! Hopefully not active and hopefully not Formosan.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Getting flashbacks of the wall in our living room that we opened up...

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
They are not - we opened up a lot of walls in the house, and this is basically the only corner where there were issues (it's where I expected the most likely place for there to be problems).

It's really isolated to that section, which isn't structural in the first place so therefore easy to fix.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Load bearing invertebrates?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Looks like termites to me. The mud in the wood is what makes me think it's termites and not carpenter ants. I've had carpenter ants and the wood had huge galleys eaten into it, but there wasn't any mud.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
oh yeah - I meant that they aren't subterranean. That indeed is termite damage.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ntan1 posted:

It's really isolated to that section, which isn't structural in the first place so therefore easy to fix.

Whew

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I painted our fireplace

You're a monster.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Is this a place to ask about house vacuum cleaners? I have read in other threads that Dyson is way over-priced and possibly have reliability issues (?). Consumer Reports gives the Shark line up good reviews, with the NV586 getting the nod for best baggless. Is there really that much of a difference between bagged and bagless?

Any Goon recommendations for a mid-price ($200 - $400 USD) household vacuum?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The brush head on my Dyson Ball broke after 4 years and I got a free replacement from the Dyson shop in 2 minutes.

I really hate that loving vacuum, though. The head seals so perfectly to solid flooring that it can't actually pick up any debris. It's good if all you care about is sucking your carpet fibers for all they're worth (and destroying your rugs that have a solid backing).

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I really like my Dyson v7 but I don't have any carpet so YMMV.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
I've had my Dyson Animal for 11 years. I had it professional serviced once, and I keep the filters clean, and it's been flawless. One big difference with a bagless vacuum is that, well, you never run out of bags, which I really appreciate.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
There was just a discussion of this in Kastein's house build thread, which I think he grew tired of :rip: (vac chat, that is.) We just replaced our Dyson with the much lighter Shark that wirecutter suggests. We've been generally happy with it though it is appreciably harder to empty the canister.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We've got an 8 or so year old Shark Navigator, and a newer Dyson Animal v8. I'd say they both clean equally well, but the Dyson is much easier to empty without making a mess. I'm also not a fan of how difficult it is to clean the beater bar on the Shark, though maybe they've improved things in the last few years. Cordless on the Dyson is really nice, but only has about 10 minutes worth of charge so that might be an issue for larger houses. We still use both regularly, but if I could only have one and price wasn't an issue I'd go with the Dyson. That said, it was 4x the cost of the Shark so that's a definite concern.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I bought a refererb Dyson ball like 10yrs ago and haven't had a problem. Everything sort of snaps on and off for cleaning, gently caress bag vacs.

Also had a handheld pre-stick one that was great except battery life.

I may get a cordless stick one soon for convenience of no wire because last and most floors are hardwood anyway.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd recommend an actual vac and then like a cheap shark stick (often can be found arou d 100 on Groupon) for quick cleanups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I used to have a dyson, it worked quite well, but some genius decided the use a small plastic tab to hold the wand onto the unit and that snapped off in short order. I got rid of it when I moved.

Interestingly, every person I've seen using a vacuum professionally has used a Henry, even with dysons available. Definitely go bagless if you can.