Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The final design is better because it’s a more successful realization of the concept: a mix a classic wolfman, Shaw’s father who died of Ebola, and an astronaut merged with his suit (i.e. a ‘xenomorph’).

The CGI version over-emphasizes the last point at the expense of the other two, which is redundant in the context of the whole franchise, and especially redundant after the helmet-melting-onto-his-face scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wrong yet again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It looks cool, that's all that matters.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That pose is just plain unnerving to me. It gives me the willies just looking at it.

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

Breetai posted:

That's not my point. My point isn't whether his character is or isn't a dumbass, it's that his character is inconsistent.

The scenario you describe could be used as the premise for a good movie. It was not.

There’s nothing inconsistent about it at all. He’s a biologist who thinks he’s the first human to make contact with alien life - of course he’s overwhelmed with emotional excitement at the site of the snake creature. Just look what happened to Steve Irwin (among many examples) if you think scientists can’t be arrogant and stupid around dangerous animals.

And he’s correct about Prometheus being a movie about people getting what they want in the worst way: Milburn is clearly gay for Fifeld, who accidentally kills the latter with a premature ejaculation onto his face.

Shaw can’t have a baby, yet has one in its most monstrous form (trilobite) from her lover.
Peter Weyland finally meets/asks his God for unlimited life, receives no answers AND death instead.
Etc.

The negative online reception to Prometheus in 2012 was when I began to notice how illiterate and juvenile the population has become when watching movies. Liking the movie or not is irrelevant.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Leavemywife posted:

That pose is just plain unnerving to me. It gives me the willies just looking at it.

It's great, but it makes no sense how he raises up from that pose. He goes straight up but uhh... that would require him to clip through his own legs like some poorly animated character model.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Saturnalia posted:

The negative online reception to Prometheus in 2012 was when I began to notice how illiterate and juvenile the population has become when watching movies. Liking the movie or not is irrelevant.

That'd be about when the "was on their phone for the whole episode" crowd hit critics mass. I had a buddy bitch about the first episode of Picard, and shut him down by citing more than one scene contradicting each of his complaints with it. And then there was the whole experience with watching Game of Thrones and discussing it online with people who missed whole scenes and important pieces of dialogue, who then started complaining that things weren't explained, that got whole minutes of air time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mllaneza posted:

That'd be about when the "was on their phone for the whole episode" crowd hit critics mass. I had a buddy bitch about the first episode of Picard, and shut him down by citing more than one scene contradicting each of his complaints with it. And then there was the whole experience with watching Game of Thrones and discussing it online with people who missed whole scenes and important pieces of dialogue, who then started complaining that things weren't explained, that got whole minutes of air time.

You see this today a lot too. Another infamous one I remember was someone on Twitter complaining about how all of these great 70s and 80s horror movies people recommended they watch were stupid and made no sense and then it turned out they were watching them windowed while streaming games on Twitch or whatever? :lol:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sigher posted:

It's great, but it makes no sense how he raises up from that pose. He goes straight up but uhh... that would require him to clip through his own legs like some poorly animated character model.

What's more alien than that.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I've come around on Prometheus.

It's the best Roger Corman knockoff of Alien that Ridley Scott could ever make.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Failson posted:

I've come around on Prometheus.

It's the best Roger Corman knockoff of Alien that Ridley Scott could ever make.

Hell yeah.

I wish older dudes like Corman and Dante wrote reviews of newer genre movies. I’m interested as hell in what they think of the current crop of sci-fi and horror movies.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Prometheus (2012)

A biologist confronts an unknown lifeform.

somewhere in the Antarctic (2019)

A biologist confronts an unknown lifeform.

Xenomrph posted:

The alternate design was a lot better:

https://youtu.be/Ireq92-7Kk8

I don't remember seeing this in action before, but that's really bad.
It's way too loving on the nose with the helmet and his attacks read more gorilla than anything.

Basebf555 posted:

How can his character even be inconsistent? He's got like, maybe three or four lines before he dies?

This nine second scene tells you tons about Millburn and Fifeld.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOwELhfsnDI

You don't need dialogue for characterization.

Vickers has a line about how she didn't travel millions of miles to get laid, Millburn on the other hand...

Saturnalia posted:

Peter Weyland finally meets/asks his God for unlimited life, receives no answers AND death instead.

Literally hit over the head with his legacy.

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

wyoming posted:

Literally hit over the head with his legacy.

And deeply religious Shaw’s aborted fetus kills her God.
The film’s title refers to Peter Weyland’s analogous life to Prometheus’.

People think the shower scene in Alien: Covenant was out of place, too - it’s not. Hint: She’s sprayed with something.

Prometheus and Covenant are shot and told in the same show-don’t-tell style as Blade Runner - like most of Scott’s films are. They’re well-made and thought out. At least they try to make you think (which is the point of art) instead of going the soulless, beat-for-beat remake route that the Jurassic Worlds, MCU, Disney Star Wars, F&F, etc. all did by committee.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Saturnalia posted:

People think the shower scene in Alien: Covenant was out of place, too - it’s not. Hint: She’s sprayed with something.

i am dumb. Whats the significance of this?

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

alf_pogs posted:

i am dumb. Whats the significance of this?

She was killed by Jussie Smollett’s monstrous, green cock. :smug:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Saturnalia posted:

She was killed by Jussie Smollett’s monstrous, green cock. :smug:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Since nobody made an Alien RPG thread.

I’m disappointed the book doesn’t have more pictures of the Xenomorphs and other creatures. It didn’t have that Monster Manual feel I was looking for.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd probably enjoy a turn based Alien RPG video game

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd probably enjoy a turn based Alien RPG video game

Not turn based but I'm still angry that Sega cancelled Obsidian's actually nearing completion Alien RPG for Colonial Marines instead. :(

Coolest thing about it was that if one of your people got attacked by a facehugger, they were inevitably going to die. But you could put them in cryostasis to keep them alive until escaping where IIRC they could use more specialized stuff to remove it. But also each of the characters had various strengths and weaknesses so you had to weigh occasionally waking someone up to do a thing with how long you could get away with that before it finishes growing and bursts out of them.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I was gonna grab the RPG until I read in their forums that it needed a lot more errata than I'm comfortable with in my silly table top games.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Has anyone done a total conversion reskin of any version of Space Hulk?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Azubah posted:

I was gonna grab the RPG until I read in their forums that it needed a lot more errata than I'm comfortable with in my silly table top games.

What do you mean?

I’m more of curious, I don’t have any friends wasn’t really planning to play the RPG and mostly bought the sourcebook for the “lore” and whatnot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean?

I’m more of curious, I don’t have any friends wasn’t really planning to play the RPG and mostly bought the sourcebook for the “lore” and whatnot.

https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=5326&start=80#p41665

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The scientists are there to act as trap springers for the mad old man who wants to ask god for immortality. With the interest in Alien themed tabletop games around here, I'd think more people would realize they're basically just AD&D hirelings.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PeterWeller posted:

The scientists are there to act as trap springers for the mad old man who wants to ask god for immortality. With the interest in Alien themed tabletop games around here, I'd think more people would realize they're basically just AD&D hirelings.

A good post. I think it's pretty clear that any actual scientific surface to the mission is paper-thin and a cover for the overwhelmingly central goal of Weyland getting to ask the devs to turn on infinite 1 ups.

Look at how little anyone seems to care about Shaw literally gestating an alien life form, except inasmuch as it's an inconvenience distracting the meeting with his Maker that Weyland had scheduled in his Outlook calendar

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
God drat Prometheus rules

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even though the Space Jockey being part of the ship is much cooler (and Scott or his production people forgot it's like 20 feet tall) I liked the Engineers and another knock against Covenant is the only ones that might be in the movie get killed off right away.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean?

There's got to be a discord someone has set up for this game by now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PM me if you are seriously interested in getting into a gaem of the TTRPG over the internest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That's pretty bad especially for the cost of the book.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lol I preordered the like hundred dollar bundle :smithicide:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Lol I preordered the like hundred dollar bundle :smithicide:

I did too. Oh well. I can live with it. At least the pdfs are updated and free if you've bought the book.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Even though the Space Jockey being part of the ship is much cooler (and Scott or his production people forgot it's like 20 feet tall) I liked the Engineers and another knock against Covenant is the only ones that might be in the movie get killed off right away.

It's every feet tall in Alien because of how the shots switch due to how they are created.

They just basically pick and chose one.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Darko posted:

It's every feet tall in Alien because of how the shots switch due to how they are created.

They just basically pick and chose one.

They're still smaller in Prometheus than they are in the two different scales you see them in during Alien.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

Scott’s idea for the 3rd one was the engineers would get pissed and go on a revenge mission to take out David. Which would be where alien leads into

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Let him make it Disney you cowards.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Invalid Validation posted:

I appreciated them just letting him do whatever the gently caress he wanted. They made money just not enough.

They didn't. Ridley's original script for Prometheus was rejected as being a boring rehash, and they told Ridley to go back to the drawing board and come up with something new. That's why we saw things like the trilobite, because he was told to bring some new creatures to the table (:haw:) rather than just more xenomorphs running around. When the execs turned out to be right and Prometheus raked in a lot of money for doing something new, they then allowed Ridley more creative freedom to do what he wanted with Covenant, which resulted in him making the movie that he wanted to make in the first place. You can even look at the original Prometheus script and see what was brought into Covenant, corn fields on the Engineer home world and everything.

I agree with others, though. I'd have liked a proper Giger-ish truly alien and bizarre home world to see, with some great visuals and since Ridley can't handle it, as little characters and dialogue as possible. Dream scenario would have been that and going full art house with a basically near-silent movie. Fassbender is the only good thing about either movie so they could have had him as the protagonist and gone from there, he could have carried it from start to finish.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

banned from Starbucks posted:

Let him make it Disney you cowards.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Owlbear Camus posted:

PM me if you are seriously interested in getting into a gaem of the TTRPG over the internest.

Start a discord. I’m not going to bother upgrading to PMs if we can’t even get a dedicated thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

SUNKOS posted:

They didn't. Ridley's original script for Prometheus was rejected as being a boring rehash, and they told Ridley to go back to the drawing board and come up with something new. That's why we saw things like the trilobite, because he was told to bring some new creatures to the table (:haw:) rather than just more xenomorphs running around. When the execs turned out to be right and Prometheus raked in a lot of money for doing something new, they then allowed Ridley more creative freedom to do what he wanted with Covenant, which resulted in him making the movie that he wanted to make in the first place. You can even look at the original Prometheus script and see what was brought into Covenant, corn fields on the Engineer home world and everything.

This is a good troll, I’ll admit.

It was Ridley who wanted to sideline the xenomorph in favor of the Engineers for Prometheus, not the studio.

Like, it’s all documented in the Blu-ray extras.

sand maggot fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 8, 2020