Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

KittyEmpress posted:

Why do crusades keep failing to start in my game? The pope has called 3 thus far and all 3 have collapsed before beginning with the pope being hella shady to every catholic for not going.

Meanwhile all of these crusades had us at like, 400-600% strength compared to where we were going to go.

This is the first time I've played catholic since back when the Republic was new, and the new crusade mechanics are awkward and I just wanna go fight.

That sounds really weird, at that strong the Crusade should definitely be going off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Are the targets converting? Is that a thing that can stop Crusades?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Is there a difference when pushing claims for vassals with strong or weak claims who are in my court?

Italy is in a regency and I have a strong claim baron for this scenario in my Ironman attempt to form Rome.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dirk Pitt posted:

Is there a difference when pushing claims for vassals with strong or weak claims who are in my court?

Italy is in a regency and I have a strong claim baron for this scenario in my Ironman attempt to form Rome.

The only difference I remember is that weak claims needs regencies or female rulers tio be pressed, while strong do not

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The woman portion is affected by the inheritance laws. Agnatic titles can never be pushed by women and Absolute Cog titles don’t trigger the weak claim vulnerability if a woman holds it. But the regency portion always allows weak claims to be pressed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Are the targets converting? Is that a thing that can stop Crusades?

Targets converting can stop crusades but I believe only unreformed pagans have the option to do this as a specific response to a crusade/holy war declared against them, and crusades are unlikely to go after pagan territory first since the game considers the holy land to be a higher priority.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Having both the Mongols and Aztecs show up in year 829 is hardly random, game.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Claim on Fatimid Egypt, their primary title. I enforce demands, and the Caliph still gets to hold onto Cairo — the county itself and the whole duchy except for the southernmost county in it, which goes to my demesne. I had occupied part of, but not all of, Cairo.

No de jure drift happened. It's still de jure Egypt.

Is this a special case because it's his capital? It's still his capital, and he's got other kingdoms, and personally-held land in other kingdoms as well. And it didn't give me the Shia caliphate, either. The internet says the caliphate is supposed to be attached to the primary title. :confused:

Thousands of hours in this stupid game and still I find myself not understanding mechanics.

34 years left for the Long Live The Queen points. Gotta get those hats.

edit: Now my (vassal) kingdom of Egypt, 100 opinion, is busted and won't let me raise its levies, and yeah, I'm 100% sure nothing of his is raised. lol woo

juche avocado fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 5, 2020

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Turns out he ... let me raise it once his daughter was released from my prison. Ok. Nothing in the game told me that he was sad about that, and I didn't even realize she was in there.

Thank god for the Ramadan event that fired, prompting me to release everyone in the prison because forgiveness is a nice thing to do.

lol it's back to not working

juche avocado fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 5, 2020

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I keep having this problem where I start playing Crusader Kings II and suddenly it is 2am

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kilonum posted:

I keep having this problem where I start playing Crusader Kings II and suddenly it is 2am

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

Oh wow, that's bad! Definitely a weird bug, since IIRC it's meant to freeze while autosaving at 4am every morning, not 2am.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am trying to form Rome and invited a man married to a woman with a claim on the Kingdom of Italy, and a son to my court. Killed a baron, installed the son’s father, killed the father, then killed the mother, then suddenly had a Baron with a claim on Italy! Felt very good to press that claim.

Now my next question is should I become Hellenic before forming Rome or after? The duchies I’m missing are Tunis, Croatia and Latinum. All that work to reform the schism was for naught, though I guess it made it easier since the moral authority of Catholicism went into the gutter. And I took the entire Kingdom of Egypt in one war from the Abbasids with a Jade Dragon CB.

It is only 901 in my game, I'm thinking I have a definite shot at some big achievements now.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 5, 2020

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

I'd say restore Hellenism before you achieve your game's ultimate goal, because it's fun, and nice to play around with when it "actually matters." If you wait, you may end up with a campaign with no fun aspects to it other than the new religion, which kind of feels like playing for a sunk cost fallacy, at least to me.

Sounds like you're Orthodox and aren't reliant on crusades to form Rome, so go for it. Being the only independent ruler of your religion will be more interesting than barely-there Orthodox mechanics.

When you do the Hellenic Reformation, you should pick whatever the blood god tenent is, the one that Aztecs have. Sacrifice prisoners to the Gods and get boosts and, ideally, the achievement that's tied to a bloody bloodline. I think the wiki suggests good synergies, and I think it suggests this one.

(sorry for not crosschecking with the wiki for the proper names for the vague things I'm describing)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
There was another dev diary explaining the stewardship perk tree: https://www.crusaderkings.com/news

I want some dev diaries about the map. A nice big new map where things don't feel cluttered and cramped is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
There's such a thing as too much realism Pdox

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/ezobwh/why_am_i_not_surprised_he_became_pope/

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:pedo:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

fuf posted:

I want some dev diaries about the map. A nice big new map where things don't feel cluttered and cramped is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.
The January update video has a bunch of zoomed-in map panning, here's a thread of screenshots: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/map-scenes-from-january-update-video.1318433/

The terrain has gotten detailed enough that it actually looks kind of odd with just the holding structure in each barony. Especially the lonely little churches.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Any tips for playing the North in the Game of Throne mod?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

How does this happen?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Steely Dad posted:

How does this happen?

Probably excommunicated before becoming pope

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sometimes the game just gets confused and has characters interact with themselves.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I sent a thank you note to myself for some reason

Ibthink it can also be tied to insane characters doing insane stuff.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Rynoto posted:

Probably excommunicated before becoming pope

By himself?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Isn't that just an excommunited antipope lifting his excommunication when his liege pressed his claim?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The pope lifted the excommunication of himself at the request of himself. The pop did not lift the excommunication of himself that was the result of him excommunicating himself.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Speaking of excommunication, Pepin the Hunchback, Devil Child, was excommunicated twice in his first year of rulership. First time I was like, "hey pope man, could you not?" and he was like "aight, gimme some more Italy." I went "sure, have at" and like a week later he was all "you're still literally Satan, I'm excommunicating you again."

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dareon posted:

Speaking of excommunication, Pepin the Hunchback, Devil Child, was excommunicated twice in his first year of rulership. First time I was like, "hey pope man, could you not?" and he was like "aight, gimme some more Italy." I went "sure, have at" and like a week later he was all "you're still literally Satan, I'm excommunicating you again."

drat, that's pretty low. You should tempt a random bishop in your empire to the dark side via satanism, then make him your loyal pope, I think! :D

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
From what I've seen I think CKIII is going to be fantastic at modding Westeros, but I'm not so sure about real history. A little too RPGish and not enough border gore.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

From what I've seen I think CKIII is going to be fantastic at modding Westeros, but I'm not so sure about real history. A little too RPGish and not enough border gore.

I'm probably the only person who's a little disappointed that baronies will just always go with the county now no matter what. I mean I can understand why not doing this is annoying in CK2 because it's hard to find the loving things when you're trying to use a decision that requires 100% control of territory, but with baronies being on the map itself it would be a lot easier to see, and it would make for some beautiful border gore.

I mean look at this gorgeous thing:

Don't you want your game to look like that?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm probably the only person who's a little disappointed that baronies will just always go with the county now no matter what. I mean I can understand why not doing this is annoying in CK2 because it's hard to find the loving things when you're trying to use a decision that requires 100% control of territory, but with baronies being on the map itself it would be a lot easier to see, and it would make for some beautiful border gore.

HEY! Get rid of that image right away, before someone from Paradox sees!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes. Yes I do.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Hyperbole doesn't work on grand strategy gamers

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

it’s always annoyed me that the hre is colored as one big blob in ck2. its not in eu4!! they clearly have the technology

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

stop hacking my computer and showing off screenshots of my vassals' vassal map

it's depressing how bad the AI is sometimes

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Count Fucko of Burgerstein-Hohenstuffensburgiandorf doesn't deserve to have his own color.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

it’s always annoyed me that the hre is colored as one big blob in ck2. its not in eu4!! they clearly have the technology

The HRE in CK2 is horrifyingly unified in a way you don't get in EU4 until the end game when you do reichsreform.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Honestly, when they expanded tributaries from the original, somewhat restrictive version, I was kinda expecting them to take the HRE and rework it to use that instead of traditional vassals. I'm not surprised they didn't, but I could see that being neat.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What do you think I meant by lack of border gore. Of course I'm disappointed that there baronies can't be inherited or fought over separately.

Also, is this true? People under house arrest can't escape anymore? Lame!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That stewardship dev diary:

quote:

This week I’m speaking to all you budding entrepreneurs and fiduciary financiers. No, this is not about another long-requested game that ends with the number 3,

Victoria 3 confirmed??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
Thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.

I'm excited about CK3, I love CK2 but I don't play it that much because it feels clunky and it's showing its age imo. Despite being only 1 year "younger", EU4 feels quite a bit better UI-wise.

Also I hate the fact that some events seem to never happen while others happen all the time: never had a pet beside the hunting dog, never had the immortality quest chain, but sure had a lot of demon babies, Robin Hoods and Joan of Arcs. Also never ever managed to get the White Stag despite trying for it, I don't know, several dozen times. This is probably just personal bias, but sure feels like I see some events over and over and over again...