Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nice! I did home-made walls:

I'll probably go back and put a little greenery on them at some point as well. I agree that it really makes them look more natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Ilor posted:

I'll probably go back and put a little greenery on them at some point as well. I agree that it really makes them look more natural.

Those look good. They must've taken ages!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Looks like good poo poo, lads:

https://www.facebook.com/ThePlasticSoldierCompany/posts/2719334658174617

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ilor posted:

They look a little clean too. Might want to slap some filth on there.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Arquinsiel posted:

Growing up in the woods with plenty of stone walls, I'd say that type of walls tends to attract a lot of moss and lichen if they are in a temperate climate.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My experience is that they are slipperier than you'd expect due to algae grown. Water pools in the cracks and slime eventually shows up. Of course these could be intended to be new walls, in which case none of this applies.

ETA: or, I believe, Malta has lots that look exactly like this.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Reference pics from Sweden:

But they might not get as overgrown in warmer climates. Notice how the green is on top of the stones, especially the top row, not coming up from above.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I think Ilors terrain is supposed to represent Italy, so yeah there wouldn't be as much moss.

Arquinsiel posted:

ETA: or, I believe, Malta has lots that look exactly like this.

Exactly, maybe a touch of green for visual interest but overall it's dead on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Mission accomplished so.

lilljonas posted:

Reference pics from Sweden:

But they might not get as overgrown in warmer climates. Notice how the green is on top of the stones, especially the top row, not coming up from above.
I think it's more a moisture than heat thing. Sweden is far colder than Ireland is, but those look like you could eat your dinner off them compared to the ones I grew up around.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
Mission accomplished so.
I think it's more a moisture than heat thing. Sweden is far colder than Ireland is, but those look like you could eat your dinner off them compared to the ones I grew up around.

Yeah, a combination of shade and moisture probably. Wether or not there is a tree covering the stones has a huge effect on the amount of moss and lichen, something to keep in mind when making dioramas.

E: ITT thinking about them moss

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I got tired of being that guy playing Bolt Action with an army that's just primed one color. I set myself a goal of having all my infantry painted at least 1 coat on helmets, uniforms, skin, boots. Got all that done and managed to start on some more details on them. Still lots of details I could add and probably need second coats eventually, but I'm satisfied with my first real attempt at painting. Especially considering how many guys I needed to paint.

This isn't all of it, but just the army I'm bringing to a small tournament this weekend.

Not pictured: half of one of the squad in the middle. I forgot to put them in the picture.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Congratulations! Your army is now in the 50th percentile or above! I worked my rear end off a few years back to get a FoW army fully painted for a tournament and found that apart from the organiser's bye-round army there was one other army that was fully painted at a 20+ person event.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That looks really sharp!

If you're interested in going one step farther: Your whole army is one layer of Army Painter Soft Tone and flocked bases away from being 100%.

I don't want to imply there's anything wrong with stopping where you are! I mean that you're only like one afternoon away from best painted awards or "appearing in a hobby magazine" quality.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

moths posted:

That looks really sharp!

If you're interested in going one step farther: Your whole army is one layer of Army Painter Soft Tone and flocked bases away from being 100%.

I don't want to imply there's anything wrong with stopping where you are! I mean that you're only like one afternoon away from best painted awards or "appearing in a hobby magazine" quality.

This, and you don't need to use dip if you don't want to. If you want to dip stuff I prefer Vallejos waterbased stuff, grabbing the mini with some pliers and shaking if the excess in a box.

Then smear some textured thing on the bases and slap down some tufts. It's quick, easy and looks very good.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone! It's nice to hear encouraging things! I was definitely planning on some soft tone and basing once I get all the details and some touch-ups done. Though I wanna read up a bit on how to use both before I started.

For example I wanted to go back and detail a lot of the guns, I got the LMGs done and bayonets, but a decent amount of the rifles are just leather brown still. I also need to touch up the tan uniforms on a lot of them. I don't think any of the ones on in the picture were too bad, but near the end I was going a bit too quick so a few have way too much of the primer coming through. A little of that looks okay, but on some it's just weird looking.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

I am totally on board with good-looking, reasonably-priced 15mm plastic ancients, but I’m reserving judgment until I see the actual models. The one shot that appears to be from the new range is those two grey-primed armoured horsemen, and they really look like metal test models...

Nonetheless, PSC is legit and I trust they they’ll do a good job.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I believe they are converting the old Corvus Belli metals, so that test shot kiiind of makes sense.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

Thanks everyone! It's nice to hear encouraging things! I was definitely planning on some soft tone and basing once I get all the details and some touch-ups done. Though I wanna read up a bit on how to use both before I started.

For example I wanted to go back and detail a lot of the guns, I got the LMGs done and bayonets, but a decent amount of the rifles are just leather brown still. I also need to touch up the tan uniforms on a lot of them. I don't think any of the ones on in the picture were too bad, but near the end I was going a bit too quick so a few have way too much of the primer coming through. A little of that looks okay, but on some it's just weird looking.

Really seconding how much better you guys look now compared to if you just had a layer of primer on them. Great job!

Ok, here's uncle lilljonas's guide to quickly make your army look even nicer for the least amount of effort.

All you need is three different washes. They'll serve you well for all tabletop level painting. You want one dark/black wash, one lighter/brown wash, and one flesh shaded wash (these usually have a bit of red to them, so they look different from a brown wash).

Now, paint all flesh with the flesh wash. Don't drown it in wash, but you don't need to be very careful. Just use a rather big brush and cover all flesh areas.

Then use the black/dark wash and paint over all metals, like the guns and such. The helmets might also be suitable for a black wash: try it on one and see if you like it.

Then use the brown/soft wash and paint over pretty much everything else.

Using these differnt washes will not take much extra time, but it will make your minis look better than if you use a single wash or dip, as there will be more contrast and the washes will be more suitable for the colours.

You'll be amazed how much better your paint job will look. There's a reason washes were nick-named "talent in a bottle" when they really took off in the wargaming community decades ago.

If you want to take a step further, go back with the original paint and paint highlights. This means not covering the entire area, but just the parts that stand out or are raised, so that they would be more exposed to light. But for a tabletop standard, just doing the washes will be a big boost for their look.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 7, 2020

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Fish and Chimps posted:

Those look good. They must've taken ages!
They're actually super quick and easy. I stole my kid's Lego bricks to make a mold two lugs high and one lug wide, with a thin flat along the bottom. Line it with wax paper and pack it with Xeolite crystals (generally for use in fish tanks and dirt cheap at any pet store) mixed with some thinned PVA glue. Let it dry overnight, pop it out, and glue it to a base.

For paint, I airbrush on the base coat (Americana Milk Chocolate), pick out a couple of stones here and there in olive green or dark grey, then drybrush with an ochre and an antique white. This is a step-by-step:

Voila, easy walls! I have like 12 feet of the things, and enough rocks left to do maybe 6 more feet.

Arquinsiel posted:

They were originally done for North Africa/Sicily, so I didn't do them as overgrown as I would have for Europe. I mostly just want a touch of greenery here or there for visual interest.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Seconding lilljonas' advice. You can also do a highlight before a wash if you want to use the wash to tint the entire thing and blend your base -> highlight a little more smoothly. I recently did that for my Italians and really liked the effect.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ilor posted:

Voila, easy walls!
You're a loving wizard.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
No, I'm a thief. But because I can't remember to whom the credit is really due, I'll default to wizard! :eng101:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I just refought the Battle of Talavera in a 3-a-side Army level battle using Field of Glory Napoleonic 2nd ed. I played as a Portuguese Division in the centre of the Allied line, with the British to my left on a hill, and the Spanish army to my right in the town of Talavera itself. I also controlled the British Cavalry Division and the VERY LATE arriving Light Division.

Battle report coming, but here''s pretty much how it went down:

Yes, the French repeated the historical battle strategy. Will it work this time??!
Did the French come up in the same old way and get defeated in the same old way? Did MY PORTUGUESE out shoot the French battalions? Did the KGL Hussar's make a certain death charge in the centre of the French line without Sir Arthur Wellesley orders? Did the Light Division arrive too late to effect the battle?? Will Richard Shape capture a French Eagle??? Find out later when I write up the batrap!

Comstar fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 8, 2020

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
As posted to my blog: The Battle of Talavera.

I'm sorry about the bad spelling, Firefox has decided to kill my spell checker :(

Some REALLY good photos showing off the figures can be found on Facebook.

The Start of the battle. Not to scale.Done with Battle Chronicler, which I cannot work out how to place more than 1 unit.

My 4th Field of Glory Napoleonic (2nd edition) battle was a 3vs3 refight of the Battle of Talavera of the 28 July 1809. An Anglo/Portuguese army under Sir Arthur Wellesley combined with a Spanish army under General Cuesta and confronted 2 (3 in this game) Corps under Marshal Claude Victor and Major-General Horace Sebastiani, with the French king of Spain, Joseph Bonaparte in nominal command.

wikipedia.org entry for the Battle of Talavera

Order of battle from britishbattles.com

Being Spain and with Lieutenant General Sir Arthur Wellesley in command and choosing the ground to fight., the entire battlefield was counted as difficult terrain for Artillery and Cavalry to move. There were 3 small rough hills were to the west and a large gentle hill in the centre that Wellesley placed his 3 English army divisions on the reserve slope (as was his want).

Special rules for the scenario are that cavalry and artillery moves as if the table is all difficult terrain.

To the large hills right in the plain was MY SMALL (unhistorical) PORTUGUESE DIVISION consisting of a large infantry brigade with skirmishers and a small brigade with attached artillery, with a skilled commander.

In the town of Talavera itself was a large Spanish army of several divisions, with a light brigade in the farm next to it. Behind the town was a large division of suspect Spanish Cavalry.

Behind MY SMALL PORTUGUESE DIVISION was the 1st KGL Hussars, Impetuses British Light Dragoons, British Heavy Dragoons (commanded by Lieutenant General William Payne) and a further division of suspect Spanish cavalry.

Wellesley placed himself on top of the hill. Captain Richard Sharpe was to his right near MY SMALL PORTUGUESE DIVISION.

A small Spanish unit was placed in THE SPANISH REDOUBT in the centre. It wasn't expected to do much, but delay and maybe disrupt the TWO FRENCH Divisions attacking it.

Marching to the sound of the guns was the BRITISH LIGHT INFANTRY DIVISION - the famed 95th Rifles. Would they make it in time?

The FRENCH ARMY consisted of three corps, each of several infantry divisions and heavy cavalry. They also had some artillery brigades mixed in with the infantry. The French heavy cavalry was mostly on the French left wing with a long line of infantry shouting VIVA LA EMPEROR going across from the farm to the English hill (the French generals actually said VIVA LA something else but I didn't get the joke).

A stream crossed across the battlefield, though petered out nearer the town. it counted as difficult terrain, though near my division it only acted as a defence line bonus.

Most (all?) of the figures are provided by RICHARD GORDON, co-writer of the 2nd edition rules. He also created the scenario and acted as referee. The buildings were made by Eureka Miniatures, though sadly I don't think they make them anymore.

The Anglo-Portuguese army. Talavera is off in the distance to the east.

The British army deployed on the reverse slope of the hill, so were out of sight before the French deployed. MY SMALL PORTUGUESE DIVISION was to the right of it, and then the Spanish army continued into to the town. A division of light infantry defended the Orchard.

The British and Spanish Cavalry divisions.

MY CALVERY DIVISION setup in reserve behind my Portuguese units and in the reverse slope of the hill.

MY SMALL PORTUGUESE DIVISION. A small brigade with attached artillery battery, a large brigade with skirmishers (Average, Drilled) and their Skilled general.

MY SMALL PORTUGUESE DIVISION setup with the larger brigade in front and the smaller one in reserve behind it.

British Heavy Dragoon brigade - Impetuses Heavy Shock Superior

The Impetuses Heavy Shock Superior Dragoons acted as the final reserve of the army. (They were never committed....)

Portuguese Light Dragoons. Poor Drilled.

The Portuguese Light Dragoons were attached to the British Calvary division and were ordered by Wellesley not to charge in themselves. (They did not appreciate that order).

Spanish Cavalry. Poor Drilled.

I spent the entire battle waiting for the mass of Spanish Cavalry to attack. (They never did).

British Cavalry General. Component.

The British Cavalry commander. He had to spend the battle moving between the Light Dragoons and the KGL 1st Hussar's to keep them in command range. (He ended up moving Wellesley himself out of the way to do it).

MY SMALL PORTUGUESE DIVISION facing north towards the French Army.

The French army deployed nearly identically to the actual real world battle. Would history repeat itself?

The town of Talavera. Spanish divisions defend it and the attached orchard. Most are poor, drilled. The brigade to the left is a Guards unit.

I was surprised that nearly the entire Spanish army deployed in town with few reserves. The Spanish general in command commented that he did not have high hopes for their morale for the coming battle or that he would advance out of the town to the attack.

The Anglo-Portuguese army. Captain Richard Sharpe is with the Rifle skirmishers on the right side of the hill. Wellesley is to his left on the hill.

I have not yet had a chance to read Sharpe's Eagle but look forward to doing so.

The allied armies, facing Talavera. Wellesley is in the centre (Exceptional, Charismatic Corps Commander)

I am somewhat annoyed that you cannot get a British exceptioonal corps commander in the army list UNLESS he is also charismatic! I know Wellington was good but do I really have no one else who is really that good in his entire army??

The French right advance to towards the river. 3infantry divisions with artillery brigades.

Seeing the massed French infantry divisons and attached artillery made me very worried. My part of the army was quite small compared to the mass of trained veteran infantry bearing down on me.

I think most were Bavharian? The French generals made a joke about it. We were deliberty told that we couldn't find out whaat the enemy units were or their skills. However, Richard's army was so well painted and chosen it was pretty obvious what was what. And it didn't rerally matter to me how good they were, they still died the same way as poor bloody conscripts.

Behind the right wing corps is a heavy dragoon division.

The French heavy dragoons did the same thing my heavy dragoons did- act as the army reserve. Neither unit actually did anything in the entire battle...

On the French centre, two infantry divisions deploy towards THE SPANISH REDOUBT (Poor, drilled).

It was probably a mistake, but I convinced Wellesley and Spanish general to deploy a throw away unit in the redoubt, We knew (but the French did NOT) that the LIGHT DIVISON was marching towards us, so in my view any delay was a good one. Didn't end very well for the conscripts through...

The French left wing facing Talavera. A large amount of calvary.

The French army deployed nealy excatly like their historical battle line. Thier Dragoons were clearly just there to stop the Spanish coming out into the open. IMHO, the Spanish should have come out, apart from the Dragoons the right flank was wide open...

The French right wing corps advances and starts to cross the river. Wellesley watches calmly.

We could have defended on the river, but Wellesley wanted to defend from the top of the hill. Gee, you could even think he'd seen this all before...

Two French Divisions attack THE SPANISH REDOUBT.

3 Brigades to 1 poor one isn't going to end well. And we had notthing to support it. I should probably have had one of the light cav units nearby to at least force them to deploy more.

The Spanish barely slow the attackers down, wavering one unit.

The return fire disorders them!

I was not impressed by the Spanish performance. I can see why Wellesley wasn't either.

Wellesley looks down on the approaching French army.

British Infantry on the ridge.

I wish one day my figures would as look as good as these do!

The French right corps crosses the river without incident.

I was telling Wellesley he should let my cavelry go forward to delay the French as they slowed down to the cross the river, He denied it.

The Spanish General makes a desperate race to raise the spirits of the trapped garrison but is too late!

The general might well have rallied them if he was closer, though he also may have died in the rout that was going to follow it.

The French storm the redoubt and there are no survivors! The French brigade is only disordered.

Did I mention I dislike the redoubt rules? Apperntly it's a litteral hangover from the 1st edition where they were too powerful.

Aginast orders, the Spanish left wing advances to the river. MY SMALL PORTUGUESE Division matches their line...without orders either.

The umpire was quite clear (after the battle started!) that the Spanish and Anglo-Portuguese could NOT commincate their plans or advice to each other. I probably directed too many comments to the Spanish general, but as far as I can tell, he ignored all my ideas anyway (which was a good idea). I just let them move first and tried to follow their lead.

The French corps of three divisons advances up the hill towards the silent British line.

Seeing 3 large French Divisons advance made me very worried. If they kept their line and stopped us out flanking them, they would surly defeat the British thin red lines.

I asked why they wern't advancing in colum formation and was told it's "tactical" and counted as such. (I disagreed and throught they should be in a more deep formation, but the rules alow it).

The French left attacks the Spanish light division in the orchard.

I was surprised to hear the Spanish HAD any light infantry, I thought they were all unreformed. I thought it was the best place for them, as they were acting as THE HINGE (see my post about that).

The French right corps deploys to advance up the hill.

A full division in reserve.Though I think they made a mistep here NOT being in a deeper formation. They should know they may not win in a firefight with British troops, and they have the reserves to throw in if they need them...but only if they can fit through. And being in a wide tactical formation makes that harder.

Wellesley moves a division to outflank the French right wing.

And here we see the historical outcome! In the real battle the Impetuses British Dragoons tried to outflank the French infantry and charged straight into a ravine and then into French cavalry and got cut to pieces. In this battle, the French had NO calvery on their far right. I couldn't move my light dragoons that far fast enough and keep them in coheincerty with the rest of the divison, so they stayed in the centre of the british support line. You can see some French cavlary moving right in the background, but they never reached the far end before being needed...elsewhere.

I move my Impetuous BRITISH LIGHT DRAGOONS to support the main British line.

This is as far as as my Impetuous BRITISH LIGHT DRAGOONS got in the battle.

My PORTUGUESE DIVISION moves up with the KGL Hussars and Portuguese cavalry in support.

I felt the need I HAD to go and try and outflank the French attacking the British hill. I wanted to go in with all the calvery but Wellesley said I was going too far forward and ordered me back a bit.

My PORTUGUESE DIVISION prepares to engage the enemy.

Time to roll some dice.

With no infantry on the French left wing, the Spanish divisions advance out of their defences towards the French Calvary,.

The Spanish General listened to my advice (or probably more accuarly decided now was the time himself) and started to move out of the town. It took a long time to do it...I don't know if they ever got close enough to the French to actually shoot them.

The French right corps prepares to attack the British line. My PORTUGUESE DIVISION and the KGL are in position to flank them.

Wellesley kept telling me to hold back, "it's often more important to know when not to commit as it is to know when it is". He was correct, in that the French were unharmed at this point and if advanced too far forward I'd be outflanked myself, and the French had better troops and heavier guns than I did.

Each dice is the amount of gunfire coming from the allied line.\

The British shooting was completly rotten, and despite the massed gunfire, failed to do mich of anything for 2-3 turns! Wellesley blamed the smoke.

Battle of Talavera on 28th July 1809 in the Peninsular War: picture by JJ Jenkins - Britishbattles.com

French gunfire in the centre.

There was a lot of French fire coming my way, but a lot of it was ineffective, whish I was surprised to see.

PREPARE TO FIRE!

Musketry and artillery open fire! My small brigade begins to waver! The French units to my front are also impacted.

This is probably why Wellesley was telling me not to advance too far. I was very lucky my large brigade didn't take enough damage to hurt it!

The British army starts to flank the French right wing which is forced to fall back.

This was the starting point of big problems for the French army. They had nothing to stop it, except the heavy dragoons coming up...too slow.

The French centre takes heavy casualties. The Spanish left wing is also wavering. The Spanish Guard to the right of the picture is only disordered.

Our oriuginal plan had been to lure the French into a hinge in the centre, but the Spanish advance had foiled that. However, the plan had worked here through some lucky shooting on our part.

THE DECISIVE MOMENT. Against orders from Wellesley, the KGL HUSSARS CHARGE!!!!!

Wellesley really didn'ty want me to charge in, but I kept thinking THIS WAS THE DECISIVE MOMENT. The French were disordered and I might not get another chance. NOW WAS THE TIME! GO FOR IT KGL! I also had flank and rear support from the Portuguesue cavalry.

My SMALL PORTUGUESE DIVISION does heavy damage to the French centre.

At this point off camera, the cloud of dust that been on the horizan fianlly arrived! Our reserves had got here in time!

"Is that it?!" I exclaimed.
"Yes. That's the British Light Divison".
"It's ONE SMALL BRIGADE?!!"
"Well yes, but they are the best unit in the army, light veturen surprior troops".
"I was expecting...something bigger".

I think the French generals were just as surpised as I was to see this huge dust cloud arrive and out walk 4 stands of green infantry.

The Portuguese Calvary move up to support the KGL in their death ride.

23rd Light Dragoons attacking the French infantry squares at the Battle
of Talavera on 28th July 1809 in the Peninsular War: picture by Richard
Caton Woodville (the regiment is, in error, it was actually the KGL light dragoons!) - britishbattles.com

It's not really a death ride if all the French shots MISS and you have flank and rear support.

MAXIMUM DAMAGE. EVERY ATTACK DICE BY THE KGL HITS! THERE ARE NO SURVIVORS!

I was amazed that worked, but work it did.

THE KGL ROUT PURSUE AND ROUTE AN ENTIRE FRENCH DIVISION TWO BRIGADES FLEE!

They went on to cause a cascade faliure and destroyed a SECOND briagde behind the first. Due to the terrian for some reason, infantry could not form square when charged. Wellesley was a goddamm genius on picking his ground to fight on. For some reason I'm not sute of, the French heavier cavalry never tried to charge our infantry.

French heavy dragoons counter charge the spent KGL. The supporting Portuguese cavalry change in to intercept them!

At this point we worked out that the entire French army had taken nearly > 30% routed and wavering units AND we'd taken less thasn 10%. If we took no more damage the battle would be over. I hadn't actually NEEDED the unit to flank cover my KGL cavalry, so intercepting the heavy dragoons with my poor light dragoons was probably not a good idea. However, he would have changed into the flank of my spent KGL Hussar's instead, so I considered a better trade.

A French infantry division is so shaken by these events THEY MISS EVERY SHOT. The Portuguese fire back and HIT WITH EVERY SHOT! The French centre is wavering!

3 French infantry briagdes took every shot they could AND MISSED. I shot back at all 3, and got hits with 2 dice ON EVERY ONE. 50/50 chance to hit!

On the allied left wing, the British army changes home and routs multiple units! They came up at us in the same old way and we defeated them in the same old way!

While this was going on, the British army had won ONE fire fight early on, 3 dice to a French 4. That allowed them to rout a single French brigade...which then allowed two British units to shoot every single one of the French ones. The damage became insermountable and cascade failures started to happen along the entire French right wing!

The French centre is battered and about to collapse.

Lieutenant Sharp goes for a French Eagle (the 95th rifle skirmishes to the right of the picture).

29th Regiment attacking the French at the Battle of Talavera on 27th/28th July 1809 in the Peninsular War - britishbattles.com

I'd asked where Captain Richard Shape was, and he was right where he needed to be.

The British army charges home! They only need 4 hits and did 12!

Sean Bean does NOT die this day! I blame him for that dice roll.

The French right wing collapses and entire divisions flee the field! Sharpe captures an Eagle!

Attack of the British 29th Regiment at the Battle of Talavera on 27th/28th July 1809 in the Peninsular War - britishbattles.com

I'd just moved the KGL behind the French right wing and was looking forward to getting some rear charges but they collapsed before I could do it.

The French right wing disintegrating and the centre wavering. The French left wing has driven back the Spanish from the orchard and routed two units, but it is not enough. The entire French army breaks and flees the battlefield! Viscount Wellington of Talavera is proclaimed!

After being told I couldn't talk to the Spanish, I didn't pay much attention to the battle to my right, which isn't very fair to the Spanish general. His poorly trained and low morale units held off the Veturan French long enough for the British Infantry and German cavalry to do what they needed to, and I think only two out of 16 Spanish units were broken. I don't think the French cavalry on the right did anything meaningful in the battle, which was a big win for us. They got driven back across the near the entire battlefield without doing anything for their high cost.

Just off camera THE FAMED LIGHT DIVISION is moving up to help the Spanish, but they never did in time.Completly historical outcome for that too.

The remnants of the fleeing French units rout off the field of battle en masse, leaving their guns to be captured. French cavalry stays back as a rear guard.

I should have got a shot of the entire battlefield but I missed my chance as I was in a somewhat shock that we'd won.

ALLIED VICTORY

Military General Service Medal awarded to Captain Hawker with clasp for
the Battle of Talavera on 28th July 1809 in the Peninsular War - britishbattles.com

Comstar fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 8, 2020

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Great battle report! I think it was at Talavera that a Spanish regiment got spooked by their own volley and routed...

Otherwise contemporary accounts that I've read seem to discount both the Portuguese and Spanish except for the 95th that at li east someone writes thay they far preferred their Spanish recruits.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

zokie posted:

Great battle report! I think it was at Talavera that a Spanish regiment got spooked by their own volley and routed...

To be fair to the rules, I don't think it's easy to make a rule to say "Your entire army fires a volley out of range. It then panics and routs off the table". .

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Springfield Fatts posted:

Just wrapped up working on some paper dollies. 28mm scale based for skirmish games, mostly SP2 and Rebels & Patriots. Even made some scumbag movement trays out of cardboard and foam. Everybody's got two line infantry units, two cavalry options, two light/skirmish units, two cannons and some officers.

French

British

Spanish plus two horse limbers

Where did you find these paper dolls? They look great based up like that!

e: great Talavera battle too

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
god the worst thing about historicals is looking at the tanks I built and painted six years ago and thinking "Well of course I can't use these in my next battle, not only do I need to repaint these but the turrets are all wrong for Sicily 1943"

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I had a rivet counter dude give me poo poo for bringing a T-34/86 to an early war scenario and apparently it got under my skin because I'm painting a T-34/76 right now.

edit: Has anyone ever used the Army Painter quickshade wash/dip before? I got a free pot of it and I'm trying to figure out what possible use I could find for it. It's super thick/viscous and dries very glossy. I was thinking maybe using it as a wash for terrain and then hitting it with a dullcoat varnish afterwards.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 8, 2020

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

To be fair, the T-34/85 has a much more powerful gun than the 76, so there’s balance to be considered beyond just historical accuracy.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

It was a proxy situation since I didn't own a T-34 for every occasion...yet.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah, ”ok these t34-85’s are actually -76’s” is in the territory where i might bug myself if I have the wrong tanks, but I would not be bugged if my opponent had the wrong ones.

I’ve used wrong barrel pzIII:s as well! :O

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You should only count rivets for nazi tanks, because it's what they would've wanted.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Speaking of rivets, my 3D printer isn't good enough to print them. Unfortunately, Plastic Soldier Company is currently sold out of 15mm British A9/A10 Cruiser Tanks.

How am I supposed to get my 15mm early war on? It is a catastrophe.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You should only count rivets for nazi tanks, because it's what they would've wanted.

look buddy i didn't memorize every difference between an early M4A1 (75) and an M4A3E8 (76W) for nothing

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Class Warcraft posted:

edit: Has anyone ever used the Army Painter quickshade wash/dip before? I got a free pot of it and I'm trying to figure out what possible use I could find for it. It's super thick/viscous and dries very glossy. I was thinking maybe using it as a wash for terrain and then hitting it with a dullcoat varnish afterwards.
I use the equivalent (MinWax Antique Walnut Gloss) on most of my troops. Yes, it dries super glossy, but if you hit it with Dull Cote it looks great. My Americans, Afrika Korps, and British 8th Army are all done with it. I don't "dip 'n' flick," but actually use a brush to apply it, I feel like a get a more even coat and more precise coverage that way, but it takes a little longer. Here's an example of my 8th Army using it:

DAK:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

Speaking of rivets, my 3D printer isn't good enough to print them. Unfortunately, Plastic Soldier Company is currently sold out of 15mm British A9/A10 Cruiser Tanks.

How many do you need? I might have a couple.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Endman posted:

Zvezda do Matilda Is, I think, as well as Cruiser Mk. IVs, so they might be of use.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Fish and Chimps posted:

How many do you need? I might have a couple.

All good, I’ve fired off an email to the magical palace of dreams that is the model shop in my home town; they’ve got everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Zvezda do Matilda Is, I think, as well as Cruiser Mk. IVs, so they might be of use.

How are the Zvezda kits in 1:100? I've heard they're a bit lacking on the detail side.