Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

vyelkin posted:

I got pretty lucky in my current run and around the time I needed to transition my shieldbros away from using flails I happened to raid a necrosavant lair and get like six khopeshs, which made the transition extremely easy.

Another nice opportunity was noticing a hostile mercenary company with only like six people in it wandering through the wilderness next to me (Barbarian raiders start, so half the map and their mercenaries are hostile to me), who I promptly ambushed and got some great armour, a couple 200+ helmets, better polearms than I was using, and a warbow for my troubles. Probably gear worth like 20k overall if I were to buy it all from shops. Fantastic, highly recommend opportunistically ambushing fellow mercenaries to steal their sweet gear.

There’s a point where this becomes my main priority, especially if you can find those groups with like 3-4 dogs padding their numbers. Mercs are a great way to get from mail to better if you can find some of those more manageable groups. Also a good time to use any nets you’ve built up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You can attack even friendly caravans and merc companies if you press some... button or something... first right?

Been thinking picking a fight with the smallest house's forces and doing some raiding might actually be kind of profitable.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I assumed attacking mercs would have a renown impact but apparently not. cool

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I assumed attacking mercs would have a renown impact but apparently not. cool

It does. When you mouse over mercenaries you can see who currently employs them, which'll be either a town or a noble house. That's who will be pissed at you for killing them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Count Uvula posted:

It does. When you mouse over mercenaries you can see who currently employs them, which'll be either a town or a noble house. That's who will be pissed at you for killing them.

I kinda wish they weren't always employed 100% of the time. Let me gank those fuckers after they've just turned in a contract and have a bunch of gold in their pockets, goddammit.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Or the employer hires you to the job of the chumps you just trounced.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I always like it when the game just randomly picks just the right bro for an event.

I took one of the decisive battle contracts during the noble war, was sent to go after some deserters, and went with just trying to intimidate them into going back to the camp.

The game could have picked just about any bro here but it went with Mad Ortwin, the Raider in full Fallen Hero armor wielding a Skull Hammer.

Unfortunately, the battle didn't go so well for Ortwin.

It says Gutted by a Billman but what happened is that I went up against a Champion Knight with a unique hammer. Who at some point went after Ortwin, which I didn't expect because there were allied Footmen I relied on as bait closer to him. Sadly, Ortwin lost the hammer duel; his armor was gone in an instant and he died before I could Footwork him out.

In the end, that Champion was not only responsible for Ortwin's death but also caused two injuries.

At least he dropped the hammer:

It'll do I guess.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any recommended YouTube channels to watch to git gud at this game? I'm so bad

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GlyphGryph posted:

You can attack even friendly caravans and merc companies if you press some... button or something... first right?

Been thinking picking a fight with the smallest house's forces and doing some raiding might actually be kind of profitable.

iirc it's ctrl-click

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Gyshall posted:

I've gotten some mileage out of FilthyRobot's clips on YouTube, never watched him stream live. He's got a whole playlist dedicated to Battle Brothers. I didn't find his guides super useful, as most of the guides for specific enemy groups are his ridiculous lategame company against lategame challenges, but he does a lot of analysis on perks, backgrounds, etc. that I found helpful once I got a hold of the basics. He does also have a guide for the very early game that was pretty good too.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jade Stars LP is what got the game on my radar but I don't know if I'm good. Only beaten beginner three times and then moved on to veteran twice. Now I keep getting killed trying to get Poachers origin afloat. I thought barbarians was hard....

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
https://twitter.com/OverhypeStudios/status/1225745103085604864
Well, this could be a fun fight, or a goddamn nightmare if they deal as much damage as schrats.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So criminals and dissenters are exiled to the desert and become rock assholes. You can kill the rock assholes and distill their essence into grenades (assuming that the grenade is alchemical component in the wallpaper).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Donkringel posted:

So criminals and dissenters are exiled to the desert and become rock assholes. You can kill the rock assholes and distill their essence into grenades (assuming that the grenade is alchemical component in the wallpaper).

Maybe instead of a grenade it's a pokeball that releases a pet Ifrit when you throw it.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
My bomb wizard is going to be named Bernie and he's going to introduce ifrit prison reform (free them by turning them into grenades).

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Gyshall posted:

Retcon Raider has some pretty good series of Battle Brothers Let's Play's on Youtube.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Donkringel posted:

I choose to believe we will be assemble pieces of the ifrit to craft a merkin of chest hair. Experienced eyes will catch this small detail towards the right of the referenced wallpaper.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So these Ifirits seem like they're meant to be elite nachs, almost, what with the growing up through three stages and needing to deny access to fallen bodies when fighting them.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

ShootaBoy posted:

So these Ifirits seem like they're meant to be elite nachs, almost, what with the growing up through three stages and needing to deny access to fallen bodies when fighting them.

They're similar in some ways, but the ifrits require other living ifrits so you deny them by either killing them at all or making sure they're separated and unable to leave your dudes' zone of control. Sounds like the fights will be a race to kill the larger ifrits before they reach critical mass and start making ifrits faster than you could kill them.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Maybe instead of a grenade it's a pokeball that releases a pet Ifrit when you throw it.

If this is true then I will have all the pokeballs and all the dogs. Watch my fights go from 12 brothers to 36.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm getting the distinct feeling that the Ifrits are gonna be an unfun nightmare to fight.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Nordick posted:

I'm getting the distinct feeling that the Ifrits are gonna be an unfun nightmare to fight.
I think it's really gonna depend on like two things, how many tend to be in a fight at once, and how much damage the level 2 and 3 can take.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Feels like two handers will be mandatory.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Finally going to find a use for all those pick axes

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
tried to fight the kraken and holy cow that did not work out well.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Were there any survivors?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Helical Nightmares posted:

Feels like two handers will be mandatory.

This changes nothing, then :v:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I just got the spider fire event. I was pretty shocked with the outcome and sped through the follow up prompts because I was so surprised. After checking my roster I saw that I didn't suffer any consequences from the event. I checked the steam forums to see what the heck just happened and apparently I'm not the only one who lacked reading comprehension for that event!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Speaking of seeds and poachers maybe one of you guys can make something out of this, because I sure as hell can't. All the 1 skull missions have been ancient dead, so I've only found 2 fights that I can actually survive:
BUBIPFKCJO

Hunter starts with Iron Jaw and Iron Lungs, 56 RATK. Poacher 1 with Optimist and 49 RATK. Poacher 2 with Determined and 49 RATK.

I'm not sure if starting contracts are in the seed or not so might restart, only on Day 6 but haven't even gotten the Friendly amibition because there's no contracts poachers/newbies with spears can accomplish.

EDIT-screwed up Poacher 2, he's determined not optimist

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 9, 2020

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Donkringel posted:

Were there any survivors?

oh lord no, even after a few attempts. i dont think my bros are built for end game content, just getting through crises. maybe i will try with a lone wolf.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Donkringel posted:

So I just got the spider fire event. I was pretty shocked with the outcome and sped through the follow up prompts because I was so surprised. After checking my roster I saw that I didn't suffer any consequences from the event. I checked the steam forums to see what the heck just happened and apparently I'm not the only one who lacked reading comprehension for that event!

That event's cool cause it's there to make ironman cheaters like me alt-f4 immediately

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Donkringel posted:

Yeah that event got me cold. I was like "well gently caress this run" until I read carefully.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Scaramouche posted:

Speaking of seeds and poachers maybe one of you guys can make something out of this, because I sure as hell can't. All the 1 skull missions have been ancient dead, so I've only found 2 fights that I can actually survive:
BUBIPFKCJO

Hunter starts with Iron Jaw and Iron Lungs, 56 RATK. Poacher 1 with Optimist and 49 RATK. Poacher 2 with Determined and 49 RATK.

I'm not sure if starting contracts are in the seed or not so might restart, only on Day 6 but haven't even gotten the Friendly amibition because there's no contracts poachers/newbies with spears can accomplish.

EDIT-screwed up Poacher 2, he's determined not optimist

Actually I was thinkin, do these seed traits carry over to other games/origins? I wouldn't mind trying and iron jaw/lungs lone wolf hedge knight.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Scaramouche posted:

Actually I was thinkin, do these seed traits carry over to other games/origins? I wouldn't mind trying and iron jaw/lungs lone wolf hedge knight.

Each seed has a fixed starting setup for each origin.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Scaramouche posted:

A list of good Lone Wolf seeds, the one you want is third from the bottom.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lesson to self: when you engage a squad of 11 orcs in open terrain, including six warriors and a warlord, it really does not matter if everyone has 230 armour, heads are going to fuckin roll

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lesson to self: when you engage a squad of 11 orcs in open terrain, including six warriors and a warlord, it really does not matter if everyone has 230 armour, heads are going to fuckin roll

Their heads I should hope; unless you took them on way too early; or you whiffed majorly on the orc strategy. 6 warriors, a warlord and 4 young is a fight you should be able to do very comfortably with no casualties (unless you got super unlucky) by the time the first crisis comes around. (I’m also assuming you’re playing on veteran and not playing Ironman)

Give us some more details and we can give you advice.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Lord Bude posted:

Their heads I should hope; unless you took them on way too early; or you whiffed majorly on the orc strategy. 6 warriors, a warlord and 4 young is a fight you should be able to do very comfortably with no casualties (unless you got super unlucky) by the time the first crisis comes around. (I’m also assuming you’re playing on veteran and not playing Ironman)

Give us some more details and we can give you advice.

By the time the first crisis starts? I wouldn't consider that fight a good bet until like the tail end of the first crisis on average. Now you have me worried I'm loving up the early game somehow.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I mean; as an experienced player I’m probably advancing more efficiently; but certainly by day 80 I’d be actively going after camps with the numbers described. If you have 12 guys; and they’re at least level 9-10, I’d go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Going after orc warriors is always cagey tbh