Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Give us P2 with the bonus story where you fight lovecraftian monsters and Randolph Carter is in the Velvet Room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

god, both p2 remakes translated (instead of just isp) and on the switch would be a dream come true!! :pray:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Booky posted:

god, both p2 remakes translated (instead of just isp) and on the switch would be a dream come true!! :pray:

Well, if I had a switch it would be.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't own a Switch but if SMTV and these ports happen, I'll finally get around to it.

I'm really sick of having to download and delete every game on my PSTV. I got P4G on sale (I originally had a physical copy I had to sell for money a while ago) and a VN. I wanted to download and play them both but my memory card can't hold them both. I got like the smallest one because it was still too expensive and the next level up was $50 or some bullshit. I will have to delete one game to download and play the other. Drives me crazy.

And I'd really rather not have to use emulators to play SMTIVA again.

Been waiting for this for year sand years at this point. I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
God, I would love for the first proper Persona game to hit Nintendo, the one that'll probably be the first for a bunch of kids who only know it from osmosis or Smash Bros, to be the one with loving Hitler in it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
in retrospect, persona 3 and 4's bumbling around trans themes and fat shaming aged way worse than persona 2's literally hitler

AFashionableHat posted:

I'd like a way to play both halves of Persona 2 in English on the same system tbh. There's no way I'm getting my girlfriend to play PS1 Persona 2.

hack a vita, nobody's looking

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 8, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

God, I would love for the first proper Persona game to hit Nintendo, the one that'll probably be the first for a bunch of kids who only know it from osmosis or Smash Bros, to be the one with loving Hitler in it.

I don't see any Hitler, I see only "The Fuhrer" with some sick shades.

Innocent Sin is undoubtedly up there as one of the bet Persona games but goddm its gameplay is so, so bad. I both recommend playing it and yet I can't recommend playing it. You need to really experience it for yourself but experiencing also really sucks and is tedious. It's quite the problem.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

knowing what demons get estoma early and the psp version of IS (and EP too i guess) helps reduce some of the jank, but it's still a (very well written!!) ps1 rpg from 1999 so :v:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

in retrospect, persona 3 and 4's bumbling around trans themes and fat shaming aged way worse than persona 2's literally hitler

it helps that it's (IS spoilers) actually the real bad guy in disguise as mankind's evil personified(iirc??)! but yeah for a bit of p2 trivia, ISP changed the appearance of Hitler to have shades in all regions + replaced the swastikas with the Iron Crosses and the battle background of the Fuhrer to the final boss one in EP.

(honestly, i just think every megaten should be on the switch by now :))

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sunglasses Hitler is better in every way possible than how it was in the original.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thank you thread for recommending TMS and I am back here to announce that I am loving it and that Gangrel is an rear end in a top hat

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cleretic posted:

It would own

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

I'd be interested to hear a new generation debate if Kanji's arc is about being gay or gender roles.

The golden's new ending makes it super clear it's about gender roles. Please be yourself but grow up to conform to society's expectations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The golden's new ending makes it super clear it's about gender roles. Please be yourself but grow up to conform to society's expectations.

I dunno, I thought Kanji's new look owned

Easily the best one there.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Persona 2 would be neat to have on the switch, but I can sorta understand that people might not take too kindly to the gameplay itself.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kanji's redesign is great

Also it was pretty blatantly about gender roles even back in 2008

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kanji owning that "Hot guy with glasses" look ain't all that difficult, tbh.

And yeah, what Arista said above. I still really like Kanji's overall story arc and Kanji himself as a character, though.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 8, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Kanji owning that "Hot guy with glasses" look ain't all that difficult, tbh.

It's not that hard cause they spend half the game wearin stylish shades.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Persona 2's gameplay isn't that bad, it's just a bit dated.

Persona 1's gameplay, now that has aged poorly. Still love it but that's because I love old games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arist posted:

Kanji's redesign is great

Also it was pretty blatantly about gender roles even back in 2008

Perhaps but given his dungeon, Yosuke's comments and the fact Kanji was into what he thought was a boy, I can't blame people for getting mixed signals.

I think the happy compromise that his arc is about gender roles but he's probably at least bisexual works. Or he's just Naoto-sexual.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

NikkolasKing posted:

Perhaps but given his dungeon, Yosuke's comments and the fact Kanji was into what he thought was a boy, I can't blame people for getting mixed signals.

I think the happy compromise that his arc is about gender roles but he's probably at least bisexual works. Or he's just Naoto-sexual.

I dunno, I thought the dungeon was pretty much underlining the whole question whether having "feminine" hobbies and a sensitive side meant something about your orientation.

The bad jokes are undefendable of course.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

I dunno, I thought the dungeon was pretty much underlining the whole question whether having "feminine" hobbies and a sensitive side meant something about your orientation.

The bad jokes are undefendable of course.

I agree but the jokes being tasteless isn't even the issue here. They confuse the issue by making it seem like Kanji is in fact gay. As I said, his wanting to go out with Naoto who he thought was a boy at the time also confuses things.

The dungeon was about how Kanji thought he had to be gay because he liked "girly" things but everything else makes it seem like there might be more to it than that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Or he's just Naoto-sexual.

Kanji's not gay, he's just smart.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ports of the Megami Tensei series would be great, but I'm sitting here wanting Trauma Center. And the Growlanser games.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kanji (and Naoto, for that matter) only seem like they might be LGBT at first because the game appropriates visual language relevant to those issues. The characters as written are rather blatantly not LGBT, which doesn't mean letting the game off the hook, because by using that language and not following through, it feels like erasure of those issues. It makes far more sense in Kanji's case, where the ultimate lesson is that his sexuality is totally unimportant to who he is (though of course, he ends up being more-or-less straight), but in Naoto's they just use the imagery of a sex change for kind of no reason. It's barely relevant to the rest of her Shadow's issues and they could have told the exact same story, hidden gender and all, without using it.

It's also worth mentioning that Kanji's arc is ultimately worse if he's gay, because the intended message about gender roles gets lost in the weeds there. If he's gay, then all the bullies were right about him and he only liked sewing and cute things because of that.

Kanji is still easily my favorite character in the game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

There's also the issue with Naoto where even if you wanted to read it as a queer character struggling with gender issues the writing at large explicitly and repeatedly hits that her being a girl isn't why the cops aren't treating her like a serious detective its the fact that she' a 13 year old child coming into town from the big city telling these old detectives what to do. The game's attempt to make references or make her extra special while slavishly sticking to having only school kids as main characters ruins what they're trying to do with this small town murder mystery and their attempts to do LGBT+ story beats.

It's like they saw how stupid Rise being a celebrity was for the tone and wanted to one up it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean even as written the game almost makes it seem like Naotos overreacting or sexism in the police force isnt a serious issue. Like we only ever see one scene of Naoto being taken less seriously and its from people who think shes a guy. Dojima, the character we sympathize with in the cops, says Naotos smart but is just a kid. Which is a totally reasonable reaction.

The fsct that shes disguised as a guy makes the whole 'people not taking her seriously' thing entirely about her age, despite what the game says, because they dont know shes a woman. You'd have to show people actually belittling her *after* it gets out shes a woman, and have her react to and discuss that. but the game's too busy asking you if you wanna gently caress her while she's wearing the female uniform.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

I mean even as written the game almost makes it seem like Naotos overreacting or sexism in the police force isnt a serious issue. Like we only ever see one scene of Naoto being taken less seriously and its from people who think shes a guy. Dojima, the character we sympathize with in the cops, says Naotos smart but is just a kid. Which is a totally reasonable reaction.

The fsct that shes disguised as a guy makes the whole 'people not taking her seriously' thing entirely about her age, despite what the game says, because they dont know shes a woman. You'd have to show people actually belittling her *after* it gets out shes a woman, and have her react to and discuss that. but the game's too busy asking you if you wanna gently caress her while she's wearing the female uniform.

And to be honest if she was out the whole time it'd feel really ham handed and forced if it was a gender issue because the fact that the higher ups brought in a baby to solve the case you're struggling with kind of overrides them bringing in a girl to do it.even if they wanted to make it a gender issue the relatively down to earth setting just doesn't jive with them putting the "unbelievably bright child detective" trope into the game. They should have just made her a youngish lady detective if they wanted to push that angle. Early twenties private detective could square that circle but nope, gotta have her be even younger than the protagonists.

Everything about Naoto and Rise feels like the game just throwing out all its setting and tone and it just kind of sucks. Delete them both.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It doesn't actually matter if Naoto is actually being discriminated against because of her gender, just that she believes that is the case.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it kinda does when p4 tries to have this overarching theme of 'oh this is what society thinks you're like, because they're only seeing the surface and not the real you'. but all society sees of naoto is a young boy detective

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Naoto rules and is best girl.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Naoto is good, but Persona 4's handling of queer themes is bad

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It doesn't actually matter if Naoto is actually being discriminated against because of her gender, just that she believes that is the case.

It 1000% does because the entire deal with the game's main theme and moral is about what society thinks of you.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It 1000% does because the entire deal with the game's main theme and moral is about what society thinks of you.

Dunno. I took at face value her saying being a woman was detrimental to her career, because, well, law enforcement .

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

Dunno. I took at face value her saying being a woman was detrimental to her career, because, well, law enforcement .

She's complaining directly about the Inaba police not taking her seriously which has nothing to do with her being a woman. Her career isn't in danger because of her being a woman it's because she's a baby.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The deal with Naoto's gender is more that she can't afford to give anyone any excuse to discount her because of her age, but the game should have included a scene showing that her gender would adversely affect her position. It isn't really helped though by the inherent absurdity of Naoto the sixteen-year-old police detective.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arist posted:

The deal with Naoto's gender is more that she can't afford to give anyone any excuse to discount her because of her age, but the game should have included a scene showing that her gender would adversely affect her position. It isn't really helped though by the inherent absurdity of Naoto the sixteen-year-old police detective.

I mean that is true but the game goes out of its way to have the only scene where the police disrespect her (Dojima's drunk ranting) is elusively about her age and his frustration that they called in an out of towner cause he couldn't get the job done. The hard text of the game makes sure to show that it's not about that at all. Her entire character is so largely incoherent with the story of the game and the tone they're going for it's amazing how little she adds. She joins so late in the game anyway that she doesn't really add much to the overall plot. Even the big final deduction bit is more Yu and You the player figuring it out than Super Genius Detective Naoto working at it. The game tries to have it so many ways with her character and none of them work and that's not even getting into the mess that is her S. Link.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I honestly feel exactly the opposite about it, the instant Naoto joins the story stops being about the other characters trying to figure things out and almost entirely becomes The Naoto Show featuring the Investigation Team, considering she's the one who pieces together pretty much everything except the one thing reserved for you, the killer's identity.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm still mad that Naoto's romance route is unlocked by doing weird poo poo instead of just saying 'hello I think you are cute would you like to date'.

I mean P4's romance links don't have basic romantic communication anyway but hers is by far the worst.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if after coming up with Kanji's sub-plot and needing a girl who dressed like a boy to make Kanji question his orientation, they retroactively gave Naoto that role and reworked her character to try and make it fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wonder if persona 4 bad