Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Not bad! There are way better character artists on this thread so my comments might be unnecessary but pop some spheres in his eye sockets. It helps to have them to adjust the eye proportions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'd flatten his nose a bit. Looks a little odd with the cat shaped nose plus the human looking nasal labial folds without a stronger brow.

drat good work though!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Flattened the nose a bit and also worked on the rest of the body.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Making an IK/FK rig for my hair, someone shoot me.

For NPC's and secondary characters I think I'll make something simpler.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Did a lighting/post production study from Rogue One

3ds Max, Arnold, Photoshop
Awesome Star Destroyer model by fractalsponge (Ansel Hsiao) http://fractalsponge.net/, it's free to download here: http://www.scifi3d.com/list.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=8

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

All the edges look fuzzy. Is there some kind weird normal thing going on?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

No, probably a combination of heavy subsurface scattering to make it look more plastic model-like and some chromatic aberration/lens distortion. Plus some "filmic" contrast and grain/dust/lens flare which soften things further.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought it might have been SSS but discarded that thought becuase it made no sense hahah

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Here's the (essentially) raw render, values adjusted somewhat in Photoshop so the contrast isn't so extreme (which makes it look even waxier). I was going for a scale model look but it seems like the consensus is tone the SSS down?

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 29, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Flattened the nose a bit and also worked on the rest of the body.

I'd thicken up the muscles near his knee a little bit. Seems like with it holding literally all his body weight on a backwards folding joint, it'd be fairly strong. Might wanna widen the shoulder width a bit to give it more of a masculine look, or cut in the hips a bit if you want to go the female route. Just working off owning male and female cats. Males tend to have big floof and strong necks, females tend to be a bit sleeker.

Might want to embiggen the ears a little bit width wise, and have them slightly further apart on the head. Not directly on the side of the head, but just a little further apart than they are now. It'll give the illusion of them being able to swivel around a bit better. They are kinda close together at the moment to really give that idea.

Again, just my 1/50th of a dollar. Looks great as is!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Here's the (essentially) raw render, values adjusted somewhat in Photoshop so the contrast isn't so extreme. I was going for a scale model look but it seems like the consensus is tone the SSS down?

First of all. That's super cool.

Second of all, make the SSS radius a bit tighter.

One thing I would try, for fun and as a test, is to add some large form perlin noise with a curvature map/node (I don't know the name of such a node in Arnold, I use Vray at work) as a mask. plug that into a mix node that blends between older yellow plastic and the nice white one you've got there to get some variety.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
My substance indie maintenance ends in April, and they aren't continuing the perpetual license/maintenance model anymore; I only get the option to upgrade to the monthly/annual rental, which I am super not interested in.

Am I right in assuming that if I choose to upgrade my licenses, that my current perpetual license will be deactivated? So if I start renting as an upgrade, and decide I don't want/can't afford to rent anymore, that I won't be able to reinstall my current license and use my perpetual version?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Listerine posted:

My substance indie maintenance ends in April, . . .

Unless they've changed something, I believe you're fortunately incorrect.
I still have an old perpetual license from 2017 on my account despite having a subscription currently running.

With the option to download the newest version that license supports, still.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

I think I will try one that looks like it's actually a model, (and possibly aged/yellowed etc) sitting on somebody's table. For these I cut way down on the SSS, but it's still there in a more nuanced way.

Couldn't decide about the planet.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I like the planet because it gives the image a sense of scale.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Widened the shoulders a bit, also closed the eyes and mouth at request of the rigger.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Gearman posted:

I like the planet because it gives the image a sense of scale.

Agreed.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've been properly diving into railclone for a personal project. It's not done yet, but nearly. I made this clip to show a friend who is yet to try it to show what i'm using railclone for.
took me a minute to get used to changing my approach, when i started it was quicker to copy/bend things manually but now i've cracked it I will be using railclone a lot more often in day job work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nL2ll2L5Bk&hd=1

Here's a test of it with lighting and the car:

It was part of my much larger personal project I posted a while ago but i've had to reduce the scope and attack it in more bite sized chunks - I was finding i wanted to make visual/creative choices which were at odds with the narrative i was trying to stick to and it was a lot of on paper compromises and very little making things look good, and the whole point of a personal project is to do something that doesnt involve a mountain of spreadsheets and compromise based decision making.
i'll finish the 3 main scenes, but if it's going to end up telling a story it needs to come more naturally.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 2, 2020

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Starting to build out the FACS shapes for Catman

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I've been properly diving into railclone for a personal project. It's not done yet, but nearly. I made this clip to show a friend who is yet to try it to show what i'm using railclone for.
took me a minute to get used to changing my approach, when i started it was quicker to copy/bend things manually but now i've cracked it I will be using railclone a lot more often in day job work.

It was part of my much larger personal project I posted a while ago but i've had to reduce the scope and attack it in more bite sized chunks - I was finding i wanted to make visual/creative choices which were at odds with the narrative i was trying to stick to and it was a lot of on paper compromises and very little making things look good, and the whole point of a personal project is to do something that doesnt involve a mountain of spreadsheets and compromise based decision making.
i'll finish the 3 main scenes, but if it's going to end up telling a story it needs to come more naturally.

This is amazing. You always blow me away with your rendering skills. Almost enough to make me want to switch back to Max... almost...

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 5, 2020

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

cubicle gangster posted:

Say CG, what do you use in terms of glow effects and atmosphere controls when you render out your passes?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Odddzy posted:

Say CG, what do you use in terms of glow effects and atmosphere controls when you render out your passes?

usually a bit of everything - exponential glow in fusion, some hand placed and tracked overlays, and video copilot flares. all depends which best suits what i'm trying to do.
that render you quoted is straight out of the vfb though - all it has on it is vray lens effects and some curves.

thanks sigma 6!
whats keeping you away from max? it's the best it's ever been. not cheap, but dont you work in education anyway?

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I've been getting back into modeling by doing the Weekend Challenge for last few weeks. I'll share some of my progress here in case anyone wants to see it.

The First Arrival
(Theme: "Mysterious Device")

Spaceship Ruins
(Theme: "Anachronism")

Winners of the Snail Race
(Theme: "The Best")

Teddy Bear Painting
(Theme: "Pastel")

Breaking the Bank
(Theme: "Shattered")

I think I'm getting a lot better at picking subjects that are feasible to model.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That TFA one is amazing. Honestly it could be the cover to a sci fi novel, easily.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
Finally can post this animation I've been working on since mid december last year! Was provided with full detail Revit models which were fun to work with...

Rendered with Vray, about halfway upgraded from 3.7 to Next, which was a good idea. A bad idea was to uninstall a 3dsmax update which made it crash randomly on pretty much any click in the program.

Other random details: People with Anima, Polyget and Evermotion trees, Madcar and Citytraffic for animated cars. Forestpack for assorted greens.

Renderpower was outsourced to Vray Cloud, which resulted in Chaosgroup adding 3 entries to their bugtracker :v: Total credit bought was around € 2k. Highest cost for a shot was 300 credits. Biggest scene to submit was 20 gigs and took an hour to export and upload, Average time to render a sequence was 2-3 hours.

Obviously there are a lot of improvements to be made timing/lighting/material wise, but regarding the time put in and mostly doing the entire thing by myself, I'm satisfied. Opening shot was done yesterday, birds were added just this afternoon because why not.

https://vimeo.com/377518116

ps Chaos Cloud is fun

Phoneposting, so hoping the video works..?

edit: started mid november, not mid december

International Log fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 8, 2020

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

I can't get the video to work, maybe just post the vimeo link?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Idiot baby's first models. I made a person and a dog friend.

I tried to learn 3D years ago but was utterly destroyed by inscrutable UI and how painful it was to model even very simple things. I'd heard about Blender getting a big update so I thought I'd play around a bit again. It's better than I remember but I'm just as bad as ever. It would be neat to be able to do PS1/3DS style low poly characters for game projects that I will almost certainly never make.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Practice. I only get a little time to work pn it, but I've got alot better in a year.

Current issue in blender. My high poly to low poly normal map bake looks terrible. There are massive shifts in colour at the seams.

Is this just bad uv mapping?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As always, images would help diagnosing the problem dramatically.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Grey Hunter posted:

Practice. I only get a little time to work pn it, but I've got alot better in a year.

Current issue in blender. My high poly to low poly normal map bake looks terrible. There are massive shifts in colour at the seams.

Is this just bad uv mapping?

Are you getting things that look like this?

Those are from not setting the normal map image's color space to "non-color".

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

International Log posted:

whole buncha stuff but link no work

https://vimeo.com/377518116

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

PublicOpinion posted:

Are you getting things that look like this?

Those are from not setting the normal map image's color space to "non-color".

... I'm an idiot. That's exactly what I'm seeing....

Synthbuttrange posted:

As always, images would help diagnosing the problem dramatically.

Yeah. My net crapped itself so I'm phone posti g. I'll try the and see if it helps.

Edit. Yeah. That was it. Feel like a moron now. I knew that was a thing, but did not check.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 8, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Can anyone recommend a decent starter tutorial series for Substance Painter? I picked up 2020 during a recent Steam sale and have been meaning to play around with it.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Warbird posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent starter tutorial series for Substance Painter? I picked up 2020 during a recent Steam sale and have been meaning to play around with it.

The allegorythmic youtube channel has up to date projects with everything ready for you to follow. Use the lantern one and follow it from beginning to end. It will teach you everything you need to get a running start.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Yeah I'm learning Substance right now and I started with the Lantern tutorial, it was a pretty good all-around intro.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

International Log posted:

Finally can post this animation I've been working on since mid december last year! Was provided with full detail Revit models which were fun to work with...

Nice work! The color grade is good - crisp and bright, but with a lot of warmth in it too. It's very consistent and the renders are super clean - always tough to manage when working by yourself!

I finished that car scene over the weekend -

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Y5WySBVly/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

here's a slightly higher quality / longer loop if Instagram is loving with it too much - https://vimeo.com/390538513

The music is a personal edit of this track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsGTbIoZyQ

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I'm working on the textures for this guy. The UVs on the eyes need work, but what do you guys think about the style choices? Eventually most of the head will be covered in fur, but still deciding how much will blend into the eyebrows cause I want it to be able to be expressive.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

What is the weekend challenge? This stuff looks a bit like the stuff at Boring3d.com

cubicle gangster posted:

thanks sigma 6!
whats keeping you away from max? it's the best it's ever been. not cheap, but dont you work in education anyway?

Mostly I have always just preferred Maya over Max. I am actually ACI (autodesk certified) in BOTH but my personal preference is for Maya. The improvements in lighting and rigging for Max are hard to argue with and most would agree that Max always had the edge for modeling. The school where I work is mostly Maya based but there has been a big push to switch to Blender. I mean - I would push Houdini if I had my druthers but it is a question of how much of the staff uses what software. For example I used to work in a different dept. whose big focus was on Toonboom and After Effects. When I asked for Zbrush they just ignored me because they argued Mudbox came with their subscription. When I moved to a different dept. they acquired Zbrush and it has overall been a much better experience. I was even able to get the dept. to buy Agisoft Metashape. Having said that: Max and Maya both do very much the same thing. If no staff members use Max, it is very unlikely it will ever get purchased. The only reason Maya is the standard is because the 2 to 3 3D guys in the dept are most familiar with it. No one wants to look like an idiot because they have to learn new software to teach it.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Anyone have any experience with Marvelous Designer? I’m just starting to learn it and trying to make something sort of like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072PR2ND1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TTHqEbE2JG1VQ

And, man, I cannot figure out how to get the top to cinch correctly. The tutorials available online are pretty scattered and I can’t find anything even vaguely similar. Anyone have any insight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Pathos posted:

Anyone have any experience with Marvelous Designer? I’m just starting to learn it and trying to make something sort of like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072PR2ND1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TTHqEbE2JG1VQ

And, man, I cannot figure out how to get the top to cinch correctly. The tutorials available online are pretty scattered and I can’t find anything even vaguely similar. Anyone have any insight?

Not that this helps much but my student said the cubebrush marvelous designer were the best tuts.
She used it for this project.