Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hello, sailor.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1226128169369001984

No big deal so far, but some people are clearly concerned enough not to send their best...

https://twitter.com/AmbLiuXiaoMing/status/1225949448217546753

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Vegetable posted:

How expensive and long-lasting are the filters on these things? I'm not convinced they're more economical than just wearing regular masks tbh.

Dont trust a mask unless youre skilled in its use.

Thats a mask with no filters attached. Who knows what its for, painting?

A military grade NBC (nuclear,bio, chem) filter is 8 hours in a zone with any of that at a moderate level. They also have used by dates.

They also may need full body over-suits per situation.

They still work expired against CS/Tear gas tho.

You can get military grade masks and unused 40mm filters easy from Israel online. Just check the Used By date.

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 8, 2020

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Loving that British shade.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Son of Rodney posted:

There is almost not reason for anybody who is sick to go out, except if you live in a third world country where people get no paid sick leave.

Canadian with no paid sick leave checking in. You want me to stay home? Give me some loving money.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

EvilJoven posted:

Canadian with no paid sick leave checking in. You want me to stay home? Give me some loving money.

sorry man I wasn't aware canada was that bad

a country where people have to go to work sick because they'd go broke is such a nightmareish concept

poty
Jun 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/Trumpery45/status/1226147033720881152

In Hong Kong there have been runs on toilet paper and tampons (in addition to masks)

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
I fell for the toilet paper rumor. I just kept seeing people around town all carrying multiple packs. I got nervous and bought some too. I missed out on all the rice, masks, and sanitizer, so I had to panic buy something.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Thermal scanners at the festivities in Singapore today, absolutely no masks though.

Just had a realization that a regular flu shot is a good thing because you'll have less of a chance of getting a fever and being singled out via a thermal screening

I'm sure your risk of getting corona goes up substantially if you get thrown into a hospital with other corona patients

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

Cugel the Clever posted:

Hmm, for some reason, the CDC hasn't recommended "wear a mask" in its prevention tips. It's almost like they're aware how wildly ineffective masks are for the general populace. I wonder where they these professionals got that idea from? It couldn't be looking at mask hysteria in China, where folks are hoarding masks that are completely ineffective and, even when they do manage to pick up a properly-rated mask, they're failing utterly to wear them in the correct manner.

Yes, I get it. Chinese people, the people most familiar with the disease, do it - we shouldn’t. What do oriental people know about medicine anyways? These easterners don’t even know how to wear a mask, which I can somehow tell from grainy smartphone footage.

Dog Toothbrush fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 8, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
For sars, it went that the surgical masks were about 60% effective and the n95s were about 85% effective in empirical settings. It’s better than 0%

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Yes, I get it. Chinese people, the people most familiar with the disease, do it - we shouldn’t. What do oriental people know about medicine anyways? These easterners don’t even know how to wear a mask, which I can somehow tell from grainy smartphone footage.

What about the hand washing though

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Dog Toothbrush posted:

I'm going to go ahead and assume the CDC knows more about how diseases spread and what works against it than a bunch of random civilians.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

kinda tempting to waste $250 on a full face mask for my commute to work

The filters on these are about the same as what is in a cheaper mask. Worst thing about these five-strap masks though is that they are hell on your neck after about an hour and the straps will slowly pull your hair out in the back especially, so prepare to have some really thin hair unless you wear it with a fire hood. I used a North mask like this at work for a while before we upgraded and goddamn it sucked. Also unless you have the company that sells them do a professional fit-check on you, they almost never fit quite right around the temples so you pull in air from the outside world anyway.

Look into cheap PAPR systems if you want to just throw money at really expensive options.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

poty posted:

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1226128169369001984

No big deal so far, but some people are clearly concerned enough not to send their best...

https://twitter.com/AmbLiuXiaoMing/status/1225949448217546753

lol the queen sent the sex pest hoping he would catch bat flu and die. the queen is the best.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

Philonius posted:

I'm going to go ahead and assume the CDC knows more about how diseases spread and what works against it than a bunch of random civilians.

So your idea is that n95 masks don’t protect against anything? Yeah, good. Ok.

Have fun finding one once they become recommended lmao

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

sorry man I wasn't aware canada was that bad

a country where people have to go to work sick because they'd go broke is such a nightmareish concept

On a provincial level we have just as many ghoulish conservative governments as the US.

One of the first things the Cons did when they got elected in Ontario recently was eliminate the two paid sick days everyone had to be given (against the advice of literally healthcare professional) and also reversed the ban on asking for a sick note from a doctor (also against the advice of literally every healthcare professional because doctors loving hate writing sick notes since they waste their time and cause sick people to leave the house and infect others unnecessarily).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Omnicarus posted:

The filters on these are about the same as what is in a cheaper mask. Worst thing about these five-strap masks though is that they are hell on your neck after about an hour and the straps will slowly pull your hair out in the back especially, so prepare to have some really thin hair unless you wear it with a fire hood. I used a North mask like this at work for a while before we upgraded and goddamn it sucked. Also unless you have the company that sells them do a professional fit-check on you, they almost never fit quite right around the temples so you pull in air from the outside world anyway.

Look into cheap PAPR systems if you want to just throw money at really expensive options.

yes, paprs are lower skill than the fitted masks because of the positive pressure. cost like 2 grand tho

e: huh they have em for 500 bux now

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 8, 2020

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dog Toothbrush posted:

So your idea is that n95 masks don’t protect against anything? Yeah, good. Ok.

Have fun finding one once they become recommended lmao

It's droplets not airborne so it'll be far less effective than just washing your drat hands and not touching your face.

Like I've seen a ton of idiots in masks on the street reach under the mask to scratch their nose for fucks sake.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/ariahychen/status/1226168440295026688

Up from 61 two days ago

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Its funny how far this thread is so off the rails about reality because everyone read some thing and is an expert, and especially the from day one wow this site has so many experts who popped up.

Its as bad as a Facebook anti-vax page in some ways

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 8, 2020

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's droplets not airborne so it'll be far less effective than just washing your drat hands and not touching your face.

Like I've seen a ton of idiots in masks on the street reach under the mask to scratch their nose for fucks sake.

Droplets are often airborne you absolute dumbass. And just because a mask can be worn incorrectly doesn’t mean it has to be. gently caress.

My expertise is limited to my emt training which is “peer reviewed research has proven a properly worn n95 mask reduces the spread of communicable disease”.

But again, have fun finding masks in the US when it becomes a thing here. They’re already very hard to find.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Man everyone on that cruise ship is gonna end up sick and stuck there for months.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Droplets are often airborne you absolute dumbass. And just because a mask can be worn incorrectly doesn’t mean it has to be. gently caress.

We get it, you invested in 3M.

I mean I don't know about you but personally I plan to keep my face out of projectile range of other people's snot.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dog Toothbrush posted:

My expertise is limited to my emt training which is “peer reviewed research has proven a properly worn n95 mask reduces the spread of communicable disease”.

But again, have fun finding masks in the US when it becomes a thing here. They’re already very hard to find.

the disposables are gone, the reusables are still available prolly till end of this weekish is my guess. those are like 30bux so very reasonable, if and only if you know how to properly disinfect them

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
The best thing about masks is they stop people from spreading the disease, not that they are 100% guaranteed to prevent you from contracting it. Like every time you cough or sneeze the mask filters most of the droplets containing the virus, so they end up on your face instead of floating around in the air.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Do you think the queen actually said “hashtag coronavirus”?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Seph posted:

The best thing about masks is they stop people from spreading the disease, not that they are 100% guaranteed to prevent you from contracting it. Like every time you cough or sneeze the mask filters most of the droplets containing the virus, so they end up on your face instead of floating around in the air.
i hope someone is noting things like this for when its time to make a coronavirus on tour thread

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Dear failson,
I am happy to inform you that your current mission in China has been extended for an indeterminate amount of time.

Please do make sure you try out the local delicacies while you're there, I hear the bat tartare is amazing!

Love,
Mom

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

A Grand Egg posted:

Its funny how far this thread is so off the rails about reality because everyone read some thing and is an expert, and especially the from day one wow this site has so many experts who popped up.

Its as bad as a Facebook anti-vax page in some ways

Off the rails in what way?

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
Oh poo poo it’s here, I loving told you guys

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I mean I don't know about you but personally I plan to keep my face out of projectile range of other people's snot.

It's nice that you work from home

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone explain what's a properly fitted mask ?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

unpacked robinhood posted:

Can someone explain what's a properly fitted mask ?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81vdAxJqzWL.pdf
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2010-133/pdfs/2010-133.pdf

these are actually the halfassed ways of doing it. non halfassed way is to spray a bitterant around you and if you smell it it dont fit right

poty
Jun 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/annafifield/status/1225989063053893632

If I have to travel I'm going to ask that they put me through the machine that wraps suitcases in plastic

(Poor people, if I were in their place I'm sure I would do something way dumber)

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

coronavirus posted:

Off the rails in what way?

No you're right, 4th hand evidence and the word of a poster who sounds credible is fine.

Theres only 86 pages of crap and a hoard of dumbasses reading.

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 8, 2020

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Vegetable posted:

How expensive and long-lasting are the filters on these things? I'm not convinced they're more economical than just wearing regular masks tbh.

The canisters have an expiration time based on use after being removed from the packaging.

That being said, wearing the mask correctly and using the correct type of filter is actually going to work, as opposed to wearing the things everyone else is currently.

E: should've mentioned the mask you posted is not what I'm talking about, I figured you meant a legit canister using mask and not that thing. That thing is pretty useless.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 8, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

MorrisBae posted:

Just had a realization that a regular flu shot is a good thing because you'll have less of a chance of getting a fever and being singled out via a thermal screening

I'm sure your risk of getting corona goes up substantially if you get thrown into a hospital with other corona patients

That's a good idea. I am going to get a free shot from work next week.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

after it wipes out all the chinese smokers this is going to kill all the american dudes with beards, because their masks won't fit right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

poverty goat posted:

after it wipes out all the chinese smokers this is going to kill all the american dudes with beards, because their masks won't fit right

Joke's on you, I lust for death.

There are ways to wear a mask with a beard, but lol why would I when again, I lust for death.