Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

No one has ever liked playing against UW ever in any format, that’s the point.

I've had fun playing control mirrors in Modern tbh

The nature of the game changes a bit but there's still an obvious point where you've lost the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm not a huge fan of going against uw control, but it's kind of fun to try and run them out of counterspells and looking to control the graveyard so they can't get them back.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

UW Sphinx Rev control with or without a win condition was great back then. But UB frownyards was still the best iteration of standard control in the past 15 years.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Control in general is just really bad in Pioneer. But whats up izzet ensoul buddy. Whats your list?

Basically stock but I’m still running two Royal Scions MD instead of the Lightning Strikes I see people running and my SB is completely hosed and like half counter magic and half gy hate because my meta is filled with soul flayer and Kethis.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Royal Scions seems like a no-brainer in the Ensoul deck. It does everything you want

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It’s been very strong for me. I used to run it SB but I found myself bringing it in so much I rejiggered things a bit to put them main.

I’ve yet to ever actually do anything with an Emry because she eats removal before she can I untap, but I suspect I’m going to be leaning on her a lot in matchups where people start bringing in Enchantment/Artifact removal post board.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m gonna buy this Ken Yukahiro Orzhov Pants deck and I’m gonna play Pioneer.

EDIT: https://mtgdecks.net/Pioneer/sram-auras-decklist-by-ken-yukuhiro-923464

It’s this list, I already have most of it, and it’s insanely cheap. It’s literally $60 for 73/75 cards and the rest of the deck is 2 Thoughtseize in the board lol

Does anyone else listen to the Masters of Modern? I’ve unsubbed since like a month ago, it seems like they have each gotten worse at magic and their takes are frequently nuclear level bad. Also from a listening standpoint their audio quality is inexcusably poor for two people doing it as long as they have. I know they just shuffled producers but it’s just terrible sound now.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 8, 2020

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bust Rodd posted:

No one has ever liked playing against UW ever in any format, that’s the point.

If you don't think playing against a hard control deck is fun, it might be because you aren't engaging in the mind games of presenting threats to bait out removal to let your bigger threats go unopposed.

Or maybe you just play bad decks with low-quality threats.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m gonna buy this Ken Yukahiro Orzhov Pants deck and I’m gonna play Pioneer.

EDIT: https://mtgdecks.net/Pioneer/sram-auras-decklist-by-ken-yukuhiro-923464

It’s this list, I already have most of it, and it’s insanely cheap. It’s literally $60 for 73/75 cards and the rest of the deck is 2 Thoughtseize in the board lol

Does anyone else listen to the Masters of Modern? I’ve unsubbed since like a month ago, it seems like they have each gotten worse at magic and their takes are frequently nuclear level bad. Also from a listening standpoint their audio quality is inexcusably poor for two people doing it as long as they have. I know they just shuffled producers but it’s just terrible sound now.

25 bucks of that is a mana confluence apparently. Is this just playing masses of cheap auras to build a big board as quick as possible?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ilmucche posted:

25 bucks of that is a mana confluence apparently. Is this just playing masses of cheap auras to build a big board as quick as possible?

Yeah you have two “enchantresses” and surprising amount of reach. It took 2nd place and it seems like the perfect price point to buy into the format. At least this way I’ll have something to bring to FNM, every other Pioneer deck is like $500.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If you don't think playing against a hard control deck is fun, it might be because you aren't engaging in the mind games of presenting threats to bait out removal to let your bigger threats go unopposed.

Lmao u are such a poser

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I mean, there's two kinds of Aggro vs Control matchups. The kind where you play a fun and interactive game of Magic where you play enough quality threats to make them dead in a hurry without putting all your eggs in one Wrathable basket and get to play a game of Resource Chicken against the control players, and the kind where after they resolve their first Wrath you'll never be allowed to untap with a threat on the board and the first turn you miss they refill their hand and the game is basically over. Over the last couple years Control matchups have started to lean far, far more on the other direction, even in Standard. (mostly thanks to the two Teferis.)

The former is fun, the latter is a most miserable experience because the way you win is to end the game before they can reasonably interact with you and every turn from 4-on you're basically asking if they have it when they untap.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Actually every time control has been viable it's been because it's the latter. See sphinx rev control, which was literally already mentioned and did exactly that and also the wrath couldn't be countered

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If Control is good it's always obnoxious to play against, but I guess that's kind of the point.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah you have two “enchantresses” and surprising amount of reach. It took 2nd place and it seems like the perfect price point to buy into the format. At least this way I’ll have something to bring to FNM, every other Pioneer deck is like $500.

Lmao u are such a poser

Didn’t you just make a thread whining because you managed to autoban yourself?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Didn’t you just make a thread whining because you managed to autoban yourself?

Turds Bod

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Bust Rodd posted:

Lmao u are such a poser

Sord but!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only reason why UW sucks to play is the mirror

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

If Control is good it's always obnoxious to play against, but I guess that's kind of the point.

Turns out standard is actually a lot worse when you don’t have it, sooo...

...Necessary evil?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
As fun as Inevitable End seems to look, how is it working out in draft?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

usually gets what you want, unless the board is extremely bogged down or they're cranking out tokens.

don't rely on it as your only removal and be prepared to side it out, but it's good 80%+ of the time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

How "fun" do you normally expect 3-mana removal spells to look?

Because that's what it is, a 3-mana removal spell with downside (it doesn't answer their voltron-ed up beater if they have a bunch of other dorky creatures out). It triggers your enchantment synergies though!

It's fine, but mostly worse than Drag to the Underworld if you're in black.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Unless they have good token generation for me its sorcery speed removal with potential upside.

I find I put it on the biggest threat and the other stuff they could sack is small enough to hold back or destroy with combat anyway.

Hey if you put it on a God would it fall off if it de-gods?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I'm famous: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/legacy-league-2020-02-08#neaden_- :cool:
The deck and the white splash felt really nice, I think Infect is well positioned in the meta right now. Maindeck OKO seems strong, it didn't come up much but having a MD answer to artifacts feels really good. I played Breach twice and won both times, it seems like a favorable match up, more so then TES or ANT, but that could just be because people are still getting used to how to play it.
Overall Legacy feels like it is in a good place meta wise right now. I don't think it needs any bans right now. I don't like how much astrolabe promotes 4 color control decks running B2Bs but so long as the RL is in place I think it serves a valuable purpose.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
About how it looks. It rarely kills what you want it to- if you put it on a bomb they feed their chaff to it, you throw it on something else they just sac what you put it on to get rid of it. I've seen a cute play putting on something of your own with a heavy sac matters board (most notable, a hateful eidolon and multiple Blood Aspirants) and something providing enough chaff, but that has to almost always be wrong.

It can do some work on a clogged board where their bomb is holding the line but it's still far more likely to kill something that doesn't matter regardless of target. It's worse then most of the common removal far more often then it's a slow sweeper, unless your opponent makes some surprising misplays.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

Unless they have good token generation for me its sorcery speed removal with potential upside.

I find I put it on the biggest threat and the other stuff they could sack is small enough to hold back or destroy with combat anyway.

Hey if you put it on a God would it fall off if it de-gods?

yeah, because the god is no longer a creature

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Today I beat Tom Ross to make day 2 at the GP AMA including "how are you so good at magic, Shane?"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It is functional removal that triggers enchantment synergy. Unless you're facing a sacrifice orientated deck it tends to get what you want, since most players who aren't sure they can clear it during their mainphase don't want to get 2+-for-1d. Doesn't deal with gods except in the extreme corner cases.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

ShaneB posted:

Today I beat Tom Ross to make day 2 at the GP AMA including "how are you so good at magic, Shane?"

Nice - is that the first day 2 for the dive down squad in modern / pioneer? What deck are you playing?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

ShaneB posted:

Which do you think is more important, hard work or sticktoitiveness?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

ShaneB posted:

What percentage would you say that you were Out There Giving It, exactly?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ShaneB posted:

peeking at the top card after you take a mulligan, y/n?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Did you namedrop the pod y/n

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mr. Locke posted:

I mean, there's two kinds of Aggro vs Control matchups. The kind where you play a fun and interactive game of Magic where you play enough quality threats to make them dead in a hurry without putting all your eggs in one Wrathable basket and get to play a game of Resource Chicken against the control players, and the kind where after they resolve their first Wrath you'll never be allowed to untap with a threat on the board and the first turn you miss they refill their hand and the game is basically over. Over the last couple years Control matchups have started to lean far, far more on the other direction, even in Standard. (mostly thanks to the two Teferis.)

The former is fun, the latter is a most miserable experience because the way you win is to end the game before they can reasonably interact with you and every turn from 4-on you're basically asking if they have it when they untap.

I wouldn't know about the ones in Standard. I just know complaining about WU control dates back to 1996 and The Deck and it's always the same.

Your description even sounds like good and bad reactions to the exact same list!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ShaneB posted:

did you ask him after your your rear end tastes

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dehtraen posted:

Nice - is that the first day 2 for the dive down squad in modern / pioneer? What deck are you playing?

In Modern or Pio, yeah. Dave has made a day 2 at least once before in limited. We almost made day 2 at a team sealed event a few years ago but lost in turns r8.

I'm on Mono-Red kinda aggro. No abbots but no glorybringers.

LeafHouse posted:

Which do you think is more important, hard work or sticktoitiveness?

Neither. Luck and general knowledge of role assignment.

sit on my Facebook posted:

What percentage would you say that you were Out There Giving It, exactly?

69%

little munchkin posted:

peeking at the top card after you take a mulligan, y/n?

Never. Ever.

C-Euro posted:

Did you namedrop the pod y/n

He was very serious and quiet so wasn't giving me the idea he was interested in My Personal Brand.

GoutPatrol posted:

did you ask him after your your rear end tastes

Forgot to.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Dream trawler is the worst thing in this set in limited by a mile, there’s no reason that shouldn’t be mythic

That said, been enjoying drafts on arena, feels pretty varied even with the bot picks

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 9, 2020

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShaneB posted:

Forgot to.

on a scale of 1-10 how jazzed are you that bant spirits is a tier deck in a format again?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

on a scale of 1-10 how jazzed are you that bant spirits is a tier deck in a format again?

It's probably the deck I would have ran if I had more prep time so 6.9/10

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

ngl I'm like a little less excited to play it now that it's popular but the deck still kicks rear end, and I'm glad that it's getting away from running 3+ Brazen Borrower!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Dream trawler is the worst thing in this set in limited by a mile, there’s no reason that shouldn’t be mythic

That said, been enjoying drafts on arena, feels pretty varied even with the bot picks

The LR guys often talk about the "mythic uncommon" (ie. The uncommon that is way above average uncommon power levelof each set, like risen reef, I think), I suppose that dream trawler is the "mythic rare" of the set. :v: