Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dreylad posted:

Going to Russia because you've drunk too deeply from the well of "western medicine is bad", get treated by a doctor who was probably trained when the Soviet Union still existed, and then get brain damage when they put you into a coma is not the turn I expected.

and yet it is strangely understandable, coming from professor all-beef diet, who once claimed to have had waking nightmares for a month from a glass of cider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Dreylad posted:

Going to Russia because you've drunk too deeply from the well of "western medicine is bad", get treated by a doctor who was probably trained when the Soviet Union still existed, and then get brain damage when they put you into a coma is not the turn I expected.

What if, and stay with me here, the daughter has some Munchhausen by proxy type thing going on? I mean...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

What if, and stay with me here, the daughter has some Munchhausen by proxy type thing going on? I mean...

someone in one of the other threads talking about this pointed out that maybe his deranged views on women were his own bizarre way of coping with his daughter

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

The doctor just slugged him really hard

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Do we know for sure that his daughter isn't actually a good/normal person who's trying to get him to kill himself on an idiotic nonsense diet so that he can't keep recruiting people to become nazis?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That is also a plausible reading of the situation.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
zizek and mikhaila are sleeper agents

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

infernal machines posted:

and yet it is strangely understandable, coming from professor all-beef diet, who once claimed to have had waking nightmares for a month from a glass of cider

to be fair, failing to have restful sleep is actually an extremely common symptom of benzo withdrawal!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
xposting from meme thread

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/mbueckert/status/1226375482133942279?s=21

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
it's not limited to protestors, unfortunately.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Non native agitators, if Skin Tyee Chief Helen Michelle is to be believed (and man are the O&G defenders some vocal about her).

Still not allowed to run them over with your car though.

E: nope not quoting from a lord black paper

flakeloaf has issued a correction as of 02:05 on Feb 10, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Can't wait to see people lose their poo poo when the protest hits Portage later today. Hopefully nothing stupid like that happens.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

winnipeg is cancelling rapid transit apparently, this city is going places(the toilet)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

Can't wait to see people lose their poo poo when the protest hits Portage later today. Hopefully nothing stupid like that happens.

the photos made it look like a great turnout. didn’t see anything bad happen minus the slew of online comments demanding mass arrests

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
By the time I tried to read the comments from That Site they were p much all deleted and the thread locked.

As for Winnipeg cancelling RT, I'm hoping they at least go ahead with redesigning the transit network with the new plan they proposed, even if they have to delay the dedicated bus corridors.

Maybe we'll at least get new diamond lanes (that they need to kick taxis out of again asap) more signal priority and laws making yeilding to busses mandatory.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:keke:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Jun 20, 2021

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
From the "Christy Clark, Conservative Leader almost" file:

https://nationalpost.com/news/bad-timing-and-rusty-french-skills-why-christy-clark-decided-not-to-enter-the-race-for-conservative-leader posted:

And because she’s from the West she has a real understanding of this country

You know nothing, eastern Jon Snow!

(The whole article is a pretty funny excuse fest.)

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Congratulations, dying gay forums! We outlived Christie Blatchford!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Mameluke posted:

:yotj:

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Mameluke posted:

I would have assumed that the Wet’suwet’en protests breaking out would have renewed her writing vigour for another 20 years.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

john horgan is a coward and pmjt is fake

https://twitter.com/CBCToronto/status/1227619415505735680?s=20

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mameluke posted:

:byewhore:

She's stanning lord black in hell now

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
finally some good loving news

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Blatchford is dead, Peterson gave himself brain damage, hopefully David Frum will cry himself into an early grave too

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
We still have Wente

I'm so sorry to remind everyone

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

If anyone is interested in joining the Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion to get Tio Bernie elected, Canadians can join the volunteer force. I signed up for some text-banking shifts and learned very quickly how to do it following this link:

https://berniesanders.com/en/text/learn/

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

ARACHTION posted:

If anyone is interested in joining the Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion to get Tio Bernie elected, Canadians can join the volunteer force. I signed up for some text-banking shifts and learned very quickly how to do it following this link:

https://berniesanders.com/en/text/learn/

It's good folks. I've been doing it for the last week or so in my free time since I have a lot of that being laid off. Most of it is extremely fulfilling and I have some hope that a President Bernard would make the left wing in Canada get some much needed messaging boost and, more importantly, the will to grow a loving spine.

Nairbo has issued a correction as of 07:31 on Feb 13, 2020

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

there is no left wing in canada. anyone who is left-appearing is actually a liberal corporate fascist coward

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
there do seem to be a bunch of journalists and randos who are becoming increasingly radicalized by the emergence of left-wing candidates in other countries, as canada is a land where we all lack imagination and we can't be bothered to draw inspiration from our own radical history, but it seems more like a collection of people on twitter who note how lovely our media is at parroting the american/british media, that's about it. it feels very generational, but there's no movement in canada to coalesce around beyond just farting out votes for the NDP

I can't speak for francophones though

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

there is no left wing in canada. anyone who is left-appearing is actually a liberal corporate fascist coward

The only way we’re going to get Pharmacare is if they do because we’ll have an inferiority complex about being behind them

Meanwhile let’s all hear what Justin Trudeau wants to do next for his friend Juan Guaido

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
in my darker moments, and in a place where none of my american friends are around, i do wonder if it's better to live in a country that has a nascent political movement that can actually articulate a better vision for the future than live in one where living conditions are far better but you're just stuck in a slow downward spiral where everything that's good about it is cut over and over until its lying twisted on the ground bleeding out....political speaking

it's dumb because obviously the latter -- I wouldn't be alive if I lived in the American system and there's no guarantee their political movement wont be brutally crushed -- but christ I feel very out of place with the rest of the country's politics and general outlook for the future

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

who’s Christie blatchford and why should I be glad she’s dead?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ziv Zulander posted:

who’s Christie blatchford and why should I be glad she’s dead?

Slut-shaming Rehtaeh Parsons and going on about the poor boy whose life was ruined by one mistake was pretty gross.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/ppvmyz/why-is-christie-blatchford-blaming-rehtaeh-parsons

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

Slut-shaming Rehtaeh Parsons and going on about the poor boy whose life was ruined by one mistake was pretty gross.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/ppvmyz/why-is-christie-blatchford-blaming-rehtaeh-parsons

Also big mad that hating the gays is no longer okay

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

in my darker moments, and in a place where none of my american friends are around, i do wonder if it's better to live in a country that has a nascent political movement that can actually articulate a better vision for the future than live in one where living conditions are far better but you're just stuck in a slow downward spiral where everything that's good about it is cut over and over until its lying twisted on the ground bleeding out....political speaking

it's dumb because obviously the latter -- I wouldn't be alive if I lived in the American system and there's no guarantee their political movement wont be brutally crushed -- but christ I feel very out of place with the rest of the country's politics and general outlook for the future

you probably know I've been living in the US for a while now and I really do feel that way sometimes. It's weird. Here a lot of things are objectively worse than they are in Canada. There's more visible poverty and homelessness, there's millions with no health insurance, even for those with health insurance going to the doctor can still bankrupt you, there's more overt racism against more groups of people, and on and on. And yet, maybe because of these much more visible problems, there are also real movements of people fighting tooth and nail to improve things for everyone despite all the roadblocks and all the barriers placed in their way. They can imagine a future better than what they have and they fight for it.

And in Canada it's like, most people are more comfortable, we hide away our poverty and our racism a little better, we bother to give people healthcare, but maybe as a result we're also all so complacent, and no one, not even the professed leftists, are really fighting to improve things any more than a little tinkering around the edges. Not even electing our own austerity autocrats like Doug Ford or Jason Kenney seems to be mobilizing the Canadian left in any way. It's really disheartening and it seems to confirm yet again that the only way positive change will come to Canada is if it happens in the US and we get dragged along kicking and screaming.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

you probably know I've been living in the US for a while now and I really do feel that way sometimes. It's weird. Here a lot of things are objectively worse than they are in Canada. There's more visible poverty and homelessness, there's millions with no health insurance, even for those with health insurance going to the doctor can still bankrupt you, there's more overt racism against more groups of people, and on and on. And yet, maybe because of these much more visible problems, there are also real movements of people fighting tooth and nail to improve things for everyone despite all the roadblocks and all the barriers placed in their way. They can imagine a future better than what they have and they fight for it.

And in Canada it's like, most people are more comfortable, we hide away our poverty and our racism a little better, we bother to give people healthcare, but maybe as a result we're also all so complacent, and no one, not even the professed leftists, are really fighting to improve things any more than a little tinkering around the edges. Not even electing our own austerity autocrats like Doug Ford or Jason Kenney seems to be mobilizing the Canadian left in any way. It's really disheartening and it seems to confirm yet again that the only way positive change will come to Canada is if it happens in the US and we get dragged along kicking and screaming.

Yeah, and I appreciate your perspective, since I don't live with the US and don't have first hand experience of what it's like to live there. I have family who are type-1 diabetic and the stories of people rationing their insulin breaks my heart every time I hear them. I feel like it'd be a huge breakthrough to overcome the entrenched interests in the US and provide universal healthcare, and it could have a positive impact on Canada given the way we seem to lag 5-10 years behind the states.

Ultimately what will probably radicalize most people up here, and not always in the way we'd like, is a real estate price adjustment or a major disruption to the supply chain that fucks with our resource extraction, and then suddenly the Strong, Stable Economy will poo poo the bed.

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I can't speak for francophones though

Quebec's political landscape is really different than the rest of Canada, there is a party representing pretty much anything on the political spectrum (except a left leaning federalist party, which is lol). But, we're going through a political cycle with pretty heavy right wing policies and parties having the upper hand on our national level.

Our media reflects that, some (like the infamous Quebec city's talking radio and JdM) parrot the usual right wing talking points, but then you can just read another paper. Radio-Canada is relatively ok and did not take the.. can I say blatant rightist editorial turn the CBC took? Sometimes I'm not even sure I'm reading CBC or the National Post.

At least, lots of leftist policies are very consensual. Things like public insurance for prescription drugs, nationalized electricity. financed daycare, etc. are integral part of society. Our local libs and current gov (CAQ but you can read it as conservatives, give or take) are constantly making efforts to erode advantages and they got their media to repeat ad nauseam.

Would require an effortpost to lay down what Quebec's politics is all about, but to sum it up: it's not quite the same. Plus, it's not very relevant on a national level.

Its that time has issued a correction as of 16:43 on Feb 13, 2020

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

im going to simplify a lot but i feel like the current leftist political movement in the states is largely the result of all the kids that lived through 9/11 and iraq watching their government gently caress everything up as much as possible for 20 years and now they are all active voters who can all come together on common goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's also going to be very interesting to see what happens on the young radical side in the US when Sanders inevitably loses, whether in November or much sooner.