Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PittTheElder posted:

Does anyone have that script to make these videos embed at a sensible size in web browsers?

Trying something

https://i.imgur.com/GjmTILt.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Okay, maybe it wasn't "great," but I remember enjoying it. Then again, I am a terrible person. It's in the GBS Graveyard:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785825&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Also a later follow-up thread in regular GBS:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852519&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

all the charges were dropped against these guys too :psyduck:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

kimihia posted:

Power company came to disconnect the power. But all the fuses are mislabeled. When the place was sub-divided they had a few different numbering schemes. One numbering scheme is used for mail. One is used for the council. One is used for the power company fuses. Then the electrician came to mend the cable. He pulled, and pulled. There was an extra metre of cable down there in a gigantic loop, which he chopped out and spliced. Then buried again.

Now all the fuses are labeled the same way as for mail delivery.

Why does mail need its own buried powerline?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Okay, maybe it wasn't "great," but I remember enjoying it. Then again, I am a terrible person. It's in the GBS Graveyard:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785825&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Somehow the most horrifying thing in that thread is this post:

Booblord Zagats posted:

Thats the best line and people who ignore it need to die in Emperor Trump's purges

That post was made in loving August of 2016.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gator grips ain’t going to get those bolts off. Rookie.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I remember seeing those advertised all over TV when I was a kid but I've never used one. Where do they fall on a scale of "works a little" to "doesn't work at all?"

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well the mail man has to deliver letters to the letter box. He doesn't go via the powerline. If someone says, "which house are you at?" then you tell them the number on your mail box, regardless of what is on the fuse.

On the mail boxes: 45, 45A, 45B

On the fuse box: 45A, 45B, 45C, 43

Even couriers and visitors can't understand it. Our new friend from the power company wasn't impressed either. He had me stand by my power box and yell out when it went off, then he corrected the labels.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

The rules about fire resistance in kids clothes in the U.S. are kind of ridiculous.

If you have a shirt in a child’s size, and you print an image of the Moon on it, gently caress you, that’s now sleepwear because the Moon is associated with the night. Now it can’t be made out of pure cotton because cotton does not self‐extinguish.

No three wolf moon shirt for little Timmy? :qq:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Lazyhound posted:

How helpless do you have to be to not call the fire department when your ceiling itself is almost hot enough to boil water?

Their place is a loving mess and they can't be bothered to shove their garbage and clothes into a closet before filming a video they plan on uploading for the world to see.

They seem like the type to go "oh well, better post about it!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Ferret King posted:

Their place is a loving mess and they can't be bothered to shove their garbage and clothes into a closet before filming a video they plan on uploading for the world to see.

They seem like the type to go "oh well, better post about it!"

After sleeping a night in sauna you may not be full of energy and concentration.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
To clean? Or to have enough awareness not to share your nasty apartment with the world?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's a cry for help, what is it you're expecting? A Hollywood production?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I think they'll be ok if some rando on a dead forum criticizes their lovely housekeeping.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

I think they'll be ok if some rando on a dead forum criticizes their lovely housekeeping.
If you think that's nasty, you may be on the wrong dead forum. :colbert:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I remember seeing those advertised all over TV when I was a kid but I've never used one. Where do they fall on a scale of "works a little" to "doesn't work at all?"

I used to have a customer who sold these who gave me a bunch of samples. They tend to bind up and bend/snap pins on anything more than really light work. I gave one to my kid to play with and she loves it.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

They work, until they break because you tried to use it with too much torque.

The best application is when you have a lot of weird shape fasteners you need to unscrew, like wing nuts or square nuts.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Landing with all your wheels intact is for chumps.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Tyrg8FlHE/?igshid=f4hlwbew0rr

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

MRC48B posted:

They work, until they break because you tried to use it with too much torque.

The best application is when you have a lot of weird shape fasteners you need to unscrew, like wing nuts or square nuts.

The Gator Grip salesman I knew always gave out samples permanently attached to one of these because it was impossible to over-torque without hurting yourself first:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I looked up a couple of youtube videos to see how bad those things were and found some people in the comments who swore by them for rounded-off bolts

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I have one (gator grip socket) somewhere. I've never used it. I should probably toss it in my tool box and give it a try some time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Id love a gator grip just for wing nuts because I hate spinning wing nuts.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

EvilJoven posted:

Id love a gator grip just for wing nuts because I hate spinning wing nuts.

Take a suitable sized socket and cut two slots on it for the wings?

Icon Of Sin posted:

Landing with all your wheels intact is for chumps.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Tyrg8FlHE/?igshid=f4hlwbew0rr

I've seen this on three threads already, but the link is dead.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Wingnuts that spin on mostly with a good flick of the fingers are satisfying and blessed. Wingnuts that need to be grunted on for every revolution are cursed.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

mobby_6kl posted:

tl;dr: these are the only officials I wouldn't gently caress with. I can argue technicalities with the local cops until they get bored but these guys can deny entry/boarding for no reason and completely screw up your plans

I used to work as a games journalist, and most industry events are in the USA. Most people traveling from Finland to the states don’t need a visa, but journalists of any kind, even fake-rear end ones like us professional enthusiasts, do. Since getting one is time consuming and kind of a pain in the rear end, the official policy for our staff was to go without a visa and lie to the officials about your reason for visiting the country. Weirdly enough I refused and got myself a loving visa.

Several guys from the staff are no longer allowed in the USA (and a couple in Canada) after getting caught in a lie, but apparently that’s worth it to preview a loving video game.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Haven’t you heard of email?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 8, 2020

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Saukkis posted:

Take a suitable sized socket and cut two slots on it for the wings?

I've seen this on three threads already, but the link is dead.

It's probably this, which has been going around pretty hard today (video at the end of the article):

http://avherald.com/h?article=4cb198d9

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The ol' chicago overcoat onesie

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Agrinja posted:

Wingnuts that spin on mostly with a good flick of the fingers are satisfying and blessed. Wingnuts that need to be grunted on for every revolution are cursed.

I have definitely made a job be eight times longer than it needed to be by cleaning up wingnut threads with a tap and cleaning up the screws they go onto with a die before putting any of them back.

Dannywilson posted:

It's probably this, which has been going around pretty hard today (video at the end of the article):

http://avherald.com/h?article=4cb198d9

Direct link for the lazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD97nKb-AbE

I don't know poo poo about dick, but that seems like a really big plane to be landing on that runway.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Memento posted:

I have definitely made a job be eight times longer than it needed to be by cleaning up wingnut threads with a tap and cleaning up the screws they go onto with a die before putting any of them back.

You're a hero and I want you to know that.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Memento posted:

Direct link for the lazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD97nKb-AbE

I don't know poo poo about dick, but that seems like a really big plane to be landing on that runway.

Luckily it started landing at an angle before the runway actually began to get things rolling along ahead of schedule! Efficient blokes in the cockpit, for sure.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Runway 3880', min landing length for a DC-6 is ~3100'. I feel like if there hadn't been a gaggle of lookieloos parked on the drat end of the runway his approach angle would have been better.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

yea it seemed like those people on the runway are waaaay to close

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dannywilson posted:

Runway 3880', min landing length for a DC-6 is ~3100'.

Those numbers usually assume clean, dry pavement in best-case weather conditions. Can it stop in 3900' on dirt?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sagebrush posted:

Those numbers usually assume clean, dry pavement in best-case weather conditions. Can it stop in 3900' on dirt?

Not to mention the giant, water-filled pothole

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
The rock-piles help

quote:

An inspection of the threshold of runway 20 revealed several 4 ft tall piles of rocks and dirt.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Why don't planes have monster truck wheels? I've seen some of those bullshit bush plane landings, just scale it up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ror posted:

Why don't planes have monster truck wheels? I've seen some of those bullshit bush plane landings, just scale it up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I need these on an impala.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cable Guy posted:

The rock-piles help

Yeah, ripping the landing gear off definitely helps to reduce stopping distance by quite a bit.

And in a good example of "why don't planes have these", there were approximately two runways in the world that could support the ground pressure these monster tires created. Production B-36 models used bogies with multiple smaller wheels instead that spread the weight out over a larger area.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

what if the dirt was on a treadmill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
If they had an airframe parachute they could of landed vertically instead