Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I replied very quickly, as I've been very busy lately. We do not have the vanilla limits on institutions.

Oh, new page. Expect more information about the world within a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

Viola the Mad posted:

As far as I know, it is literally impossible for Renaissance or Printing Press to spawn outside of Europe.

I've seen the Renaissance spawn in Beijing in a multiplayer CK2 - EUIV game. That was a fun one.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
INTERMISSION II

(Thanks to forum user MaxieSatan for this contribution! I have only made some minor spelling adjustments and added the screenshots.)

#spoilsports

In The Tibetan Style 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩 - Yesterday at 8:23pm
Duuuuuuude!
He did it the WHOLE TIIIIIIME!
He was COVERING UP the murders, not SOLVING them at ALL!

bolojol - Yesterday at 8:24pm
EPIC twist bro!!

In The Tibetan Style 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩 - Yesterday at 8:24pm
Mind BLOWN. Greatest game EVER.
But yeah it would be uh
Pretty difficult to do worse than that one. Death To The Dying is still the best in the series by a long shot though

organic bee titties - Yesterday at 11:46pm
y'all hear about movies???

bolojol - Yesterday at 11:46pm
:youheardabout :

it's me! sho! - Yesterday at 11:46pm

In The Tibetan Style 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩 - Yesterday at 11:47pm
But no.
Are they still bad?

organic bee titties - Yesterday at 11:48pm
THEY'RE STILL BAD!!
i mean. okay. for starters
literally the first thing you see is a guy in a fancy jumpsuit. with a sword

bolojol - Yesterday at 11:49pm
so
a shinobi showed up
in a movie about shinobi?

organic bee titties - Yesterday at 11:49pm
They didn't have swords! That's the whole thing!
And they sure as hell didn't have nice uniforms. They were from peasant stock.
This guy was more like…
A samurai with cooler hair.

bolojol - Yesterday at 11:49pm
sounds like a movie shinobi to me

it's me! sho! - Yesterday at 11:50pm
idk, that sounds - gently caress

Mall Macuahuitl Kiosk - Yesterday at 11:50pm
I gotta defend Vesp on this one tbh
The trailers were vague as hell and the marketing made it look a lot more serious and historical and stuff than it actually is

organic bee titties - Yesterday at 11:51pm
Anyway. The point is.
They use swords instead of axes or longbows or anything, there's nothing resembling stealth OR tactics
But the real problem is the plot.
So get this.
The first, like, half hour of the movie takes place in and around So.

Mall Macuahuitl Kiosk - Yesterday at 11:52pm
It’s literally shinobi vs wokou
Like that old meme

organic bee titties - Yesterday at 11:52pm
Also, none of the ships or armaments are period-appropriate, none of the outfits are period-appropriate, they keep referencing stuff that wouldn’t happen until at least a decade later. (edited)
It’s a complete mess.

it's me! sho! - Yesterday at 11:52pm
okay but here's the important question
can lord-admiral so shoot lasers out of his prosthetic eye

organic bee titties - Yesterday at 11:53pm
He doesn't even HAVE a prosthetic eye in this.

it's me! sho! - Yesterday at 11:53pm
awww what
they went out of their way to make him LESS cool than history?

organic bee titties - Yesterday at 11:53pm
Presumably it would have detracted from his Smoldering Heterosexual Stare.

In The Tibetan Style 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩 - Yesterday at 11:54pm
They made him straight??

organic bee titties - Yesterday at 11:54pm
Right?
Anyway, they beat the hell out of him but spare his life for passage to Hokkaido-Honshu
Which is on the other loving side of the island and has literally nothing to do with the war because the Ainu are totally neutral on the Ikko-Ikki when the film takes place
But I guess they’re looking for a magic mace or some poo poo, I don’t know, because [?????]

Mall Macuahuitl Kiosk - Yesterday at 11:55pm
I’m pretty sure they straight up deleted a plot-criticial scene at some point and didn’t realize how bad that screwed things up
* critical

organic bee titties - Yesterday at 11:55pm
So they get to Ainu, and they just bumble around for what seems like forever
There’s some heavy-handed foreshadowing with the main girl talking about “the shackles of one's birth” or whatever, she’s not selling it at ALL because the director has no idea what she’s doing
And then they get into a fight with some dudes from Manchuria of all places?

In The Tibetan Style 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩 - Yesterday at 11:56pm
That part is historically-accurate, actually.
Owing to the political and inter-clan strife in Manchuria at the time, a lot of young men and women chose to make their way to Jin China or Japan to serve as mercenaries.

organic bee titties - Yesterday at 11:56pm
Not mercenaries, though

In The Tibetan Style 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩 - Yesterday at 11:56pm
Oh? (Edited)

organic bee titties - Yesterday at 11:56pm
They’re in some anti-Buddhist secret society or something
Which is funny because by the time they get to Korea, those guys have dropped completely out of the plot
Don’t even get me STARTED on what this film thinks feudal Korea looked like
“Northern school Confucianism is exactly the same as Han Confucianism, right?”

Mall Macuahuitl Kiosk - Yesterday at 11:58pm
The authorities also hate them, for some reason.
Even though Korea was still actively bankrolling the Ikko-Ikki at this point.

RotatingLaserArray - Yesterday at 11:58pm
wait, yea
wasnt korea buddhist also

Mall Macuahuitl Kiosk - Yesterday at 11:59pm
Yes and no
Northern-School Confucianism was a whole thing. Syncretic or whatever
I don’t know enough about it to comment beyond that, tbh

organic bee titties - Yesterday at 11:59pm
On the plus side, since they have to go stealthy
They finally dress like actual human beings instead of hākori characters
Pretty sure they got like all the trailer footage from this one segment actually

----

organic bee titties - Today at 12:00am
Honestly I don’t even remember what happens after that

Mall Macuahuitl Kiosk - Today at 12:00am
Yeah because you straight up passed out
You didn’t miss much though, it’s a lot more wandering and strained comedy until they eventually find some old monk guy who gives them the magic vajra

it's me! sho! - Today at 12:00am
there’s a -
oh right

organic bee titties - Today at 12:01am
Don’t worry about it.
Not like the scriptwriter remembered either!!
But okay. Okay. Here’s the part that really pissed me off
While they're there, they learn that the main girl is actually the Shogun's daughter
Which is incredibly telegraphed AND out of nowhere at the same time, somehow.

bolojol - Today at 12:02am
(shogun's daughter voice) on the one hand i am an extremely powerful shinto noblewoman and have literally nothing to gain from this (Edited)
on the other hand, ninjas are sexy as hell and my favorite pastime is almost dying in war

organic bee titties - Today at 12:03am
And the main dude is all “how could you not tell me… i feel so… Betrayed”
As if they had any kind of character development or chemistry
All the same it’s maybe the first time in the movie that they do anything even KIND OF interesting
So guess what happens next

it's me! sho! - Today at 12:04am
i bet the scene goes in a meaningful direction and the movie ends on a strong note in spite of everything leading up to it
do i win???

organic bee titties - Today at 12:05am
COMPLETELY dropped and then they gently caress off to Jin China for some OTHER magic artifact, fade to credits, wait for the even worse sequel in three years
Because if there’s one type of movie we definitely don’t have enough of, it’s some martial arts dipshit wandering around China looking for mirrors and swords and stuff

bolojol - Today at 12:06am
i, for one, am looking forward to the next movie either forgetting that the han remnants existed at all or implying they controlled the entire southern half of china
y’know what actually
that was supposed to be a joke but they’re totally gonna do that aren’t they

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Was... was that a plot synopsis of The Rise of Skywalker?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Need to add comments on how this director was taking obvious swipes at his predecessors, but other than that.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Ooooo, fun to see the Ikko-Ikki, they were a fun faction to play in Shogun 2. I'm interested in seeing how they do here.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

holy poo poo lmfao

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Sinner Sandwich posted:

I still haven't seen this and now I'm trying to translate that description to Star Wars. It's kinda breaking my mind and making me glad I didn't see the movie.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
INTERMISSION III

(Thanks to forum user Pachito for this contribution! I have only made some minor spelling and grammar adjustments. The illustrations are also his, only the screenshots are mine.)

Praise for K.R. Cutipa

The Center of the World is the first foray of Kenzaburo Randall Cutipa (Cuzco, 1952) into the genre of historical fiction, after winning multiple awards for his sci-fantasy novels including the prestigious Hyġe and Xīngyún, and the first book in his planned trilogy The Flight of the Condors. Set in the early years of the Age of Travels, the book follows several characters in their quest to find the Lost City of Mitlan and how the thread of destiny binds them against a backdrop of war, romance and betrayal.

What the critics are saying:

Like all great fantasists, K.R. Cutipa doesn’t allow to be shackled by the tyranny of history and focuses on a thrilling fast-paced romp from the Andes to the European coast. - Golam Sci-Fi Gazette

K.R. Cutipa’s characters are very human and at the same time embody the seeds and the sin of the Empires to come and he doesn’t shy from criticizing them. - The Ashigaru Book Review

The Center of the World is an incredible journey around exotic locales with larger than life characters that you can help to root for, even the bad guys! And so many shipping possibilities!! Can’t wait for the inevitable TV Show. - Amazon Book Review

And now we present an excerpt from the second chapter of The Center of The World

-------------------------------------------------

The setting sun tinted the sea in bright strokes of purple, orange and pink and Mayor General Ninakuntur remembered the first time he saw the beach. He had arrived at his mother’s coastal states nearing nightfall after a long, tiring journey from Cuzco and wouldn’t wait another second so he jumped from the palanquin, ran towards the cliffs and saw the drowning of the sun in the immensity of the ocean. Mama, it looks like Inti is dying but he always moves in circles and that’s why he comes back every day, right? Oh, what bright young lad! such a priest you’ll be! But on that same journey, his elder brother Pariapichu took a fall and broke his neck and as a son of the Sapa Inca he inherited his place in the officer corps, in the army, and in the campaigns; and he excelled at it. What would a priest in the army do? They got his answer when he deployed 300 fire kites and ended the Wanka rebellion in a single day, earning him his current name.

He took such a vivid vision of his childhood as an ill omen, a message from the Sun or the local Apus that he was taking the wrong road. But what was he being warned about? He took a measure of his surroundings, his men set up camp in the desert of Atacama, blistering an hour ago and rapidly chilling. The southern marches of the Empire. His division was tasked with protecting the saltpeter and iron mines from Mapuche raids. These southerners had rejected all diplomatic ties and threw their lot with the King of the Guarani. Pachacuti, the Sapa Inca, had argued for their conquest. The Apusquipay had him bring an Ariq cannon to break their spirit but it only broke against the sand dunes and he died with a bullet fired from a long gun lodged in his neck.

These guns were branded by the Lupihaques gunpowder guilds. The Lupihaques were nominal subjects of the Sapa Inca but insisted on their strict neutrality regarding trade. Maybe they were the ones Inti was warning him about. Their families had debased gold and silver, stripped them of all divinity and handed it to the commoners to trade and that made them wealthy beyond measure. Sapa Inca Wiracocha, father, had tried to fully integrate their families but they cited old bonds and rituals to elect their leaders and no aggressive move could be made as long as they keep buying the friendship of the Kings of Charca, Pacajes, and Calchaqui, who control among them the breadbasket of the south.

Maybe it was a vision of the coast. The Chimu hardly contribute any men to the mita levies, citing altitude sickness, but spies said they keep their own armies drilling in their mountains and ready. Their bonds of servitude are tenuous enough and most advisors won’t consider warfare so close to home when the enemies are massing on the borders. On the other hand the Quitoan elite have been most accommodating and eager to reciprocate wealth and lineage with the royal panacas, they surely know that living under the aegis of empire is better than wasting away but some in Cuzco were jealous of some many new panacas of foreign breed, like mother’s and have slowed the process of peaceful integration even though they are the first line of defense against the northern realms.

Ninakuntur had fought in the north, deep into the lands of the Muisca who had opened the gates of the south to the Aztec. The other generals had expected a savage jungle but the Muisca kept well-maintained roads and his Chachapoyan allies knew the lay of the land, but eventually, dengue and other diseases started to take a toll of their men. It was only the genius of Pachacuti that saved the campaign, by rushing ten divisions to the neck of the world as bait to be surrounded by Aztec and Muisca forces and he arriving by sea with 500 war sloths, crashing into the Aztec rear. That same night after accepting the surrender of the Forest Lords and merrily dining with them, the Sapa Inca took too many cups of chicha and told Ninakuntur “We could hear the pounding of the cannons from the ship, brother, you held the Neck! And he who holds the Neck holds the World.”

That was the first time Pachacuti called Ninakuntur brother, and the last time he saw him with a smile on his face. While receiving the southern commission in Cuzco he visited the Palace and found the Sapa Inca deep in thought, looking ten years older than he should and stinking of an excess of tobacco, coca leaves, and stranger herbs. After breaking the Aztecs he captured several wise-men and women from their old colonies and he took them as advisors. Am I my father’s heir? He said speaking of Wiracocha. The stern man who had founded the Tawantinsuyu was, to Ninakuntur, just taita, who came during the summers to fish and walk with him, so he had no response to his half-brother. The world stirs and we are unprepared. We rule just the western edge of it and we must be strong as iron to resist its changes. But Iron breaks, Ninakuntur meant to say, steel resists because it bends. But he minded his words and heard the plans of conquest and consolidation.

Maybe that was what the warning was about. Inti, the sun, shines above all and it's foolish to try and rule above all. Sapa Inca Wiracocha thought he conquered all when he made the Andes kneel and found an even bigger empire in the north waiting for him. Pachacuti thought he was the most powerful ruler of the world when he broke the strength of the Aztecs only to hear of the lands beyond the sea, vast beyond measure. We just have what's at the reach of our fingertips, he said and, as if a cue, Piquichay his giant sloth reached down and put his neck next to him, to get a good scratch like she always liked.

Did you say something, sir? Said one of the officers. No, I was just talking to mysel- But then he saw something reflected in the helm of the man. He quickly turned his gaze back into the sea trying to desperately understand what was forming under the horizon. What is it, sir? He had no doubts, no matter how insane it sounded. Ships. Three ships.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Love the drawing style.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ainu Columbus, right?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
War sloths! :swoon:

But if a dozen men are strong enough to carry one of those cannons on their shoulders, Not-Columbus has a surprise waiting for him if he tries to start poo poo :stare:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
WAR SLOTHS

The goodest boys, these need to be lore-central.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

War Sloths

Sloths of War

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Yes, yeees :magical:
The best timeline.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Potentially the goodest of boys and girls??

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kassad posted:

War sloths! :swoon:

But if a dozen men are strong enough to carry one of those cannons on their shoulders, Not-Columbus has a surprise waiting for him if he tries to start poo poo :stare:

Looking at it, it looks similar to Mons Meg or Dulle Griet style bombards, which is a large range (6T to 16T). So these folks can fireman carry about a ton.

These guys can probably suplex the sloth. Pro wrestling in this universe is going to be insane.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

sebzilla posted:

War Sloths

Sloths of War

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
SLOTH SLOTH SLOTH SLOTH SLOTH

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

If sloths are still around this has potentially massive ramifications for avocados

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kangxi posted:

11 - THE OTHER WORLD - SOUTH
A(17) -The Dried-Up Tree - proclaimed by the messenger of the demon Mara.
B(19) -The White Conch - thoughts renowned like a pleasing tune.
C(15) -The Jeweled-Banner of Victory - the jeweled banner of victory is hoisted.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
SLOTHS :allears:

So glad I decided to post that idea.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Rubix Squid posted:

SLOTHS :allears:

So glad I decided to post that idea.

Me too! It's one of my favorite canon parts of this LP.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Q: Are the War Sloths amphibious?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

We're going to get in-game models for sloth cavalry, right?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
INTERMISSION IV

The following is a translated letter, dating from the early 1440s, from the noble lady Tlacuilolxochtzin, an accomplished jurist and provincial governor, to her brother, Tezozomoctzin, a military commander along the southern frontier.

I received, with gratitude and comfort, your letter on 2nd Tepeilhuitl. It is some relief to know that the messenger system is still reliable.

Tenochtitlan is full of life and activity as ever. If you sit next to the top window to look out at the streets, as I am wont to do, it is easy to lose yourself and imagine that nothing is wrong.

Your letter has many questions, and I can answer most of them. I cannot answer all of them. The first answer is that yes, the earplug maker you like is still around, he's now at the tiyanquiztli near the second western causeway. I will see if he can make something for your son when he's of age.

The second question - or I should say - the series of questions that you asked was about the negotiations with the eastern islands. I am happy to report that the eastern islands - Kopan, Xamaika, all of them, are still firmly a part of the alliance. The noble they'd sent to negotiate, the son of the governor of Jaitia...he'd put on a marvelous song and dance performance the other night. The Tlatoani himself was extremely impressed and joked to one of his wives that "you all have some competition now". At that point, I think, the outcome was a foregone conclusion. But after that, the envoy had tried to perform a greeting of self-denigration - he'd just put his hands to the earth and was about to scoop it up when the Tlatoani interrupted him, saying that he was no mere vassal.

That is indeed very good news, and I hope it may be some comfort to you as you're leading the army further south. I have heard foul stories about the rebels' brutality against the nobility and other officials, and I am continually praying for victory and that you bring back many captives.

However, I must inform you that the nomadic barbarians from the north are massing in a great horde and that they are set to cross the rivers that mark the frontier. Another army must be mustered and sent off to defeat them and their cavalry; there is little the garrisons can do there except fight and die with valor.

In response to your third question, the other vassal peoples are discontent. There are rumors of treason and betrayal among them but they have not yet acted. I suspect, if they do strike, it will be at a moment after one or both of our armies are defeated, and when the alliance is most vulnerable. I fear the other governors have grown complacent after victories, where they have resented and always remembered their defeats.

In response to your fourth question, I suspect that the missing pochtecatl is long gone. Given that he's taken a ship and headed north, he's probably gone to the territories of the Tsalagi, with their priesthood, or more likely the Haudenosaunee Republic. They do not have the sumptuary laws as we do, and he has probably dressed himself up like a great noble or some other foolery. It might not be so hard to spot him.

In response to your fifth question -- yes, I am concerned too. I've never said it aloud, and I'm only writing this to you. It is only ten years until the great fire ceremony, and I have my doubts if what we're doing makes any difference at all.

I've heard the stories about the great eastern expeditions, and how they've all ended-- gone to a savage uncultivated land where nobody's ever eaten maize or performed the coming of age rites; populated with manchildren-- their ceremonies becoming a cruel parody of ours.

I attend our ceremonies always, and they are still events of great solemnity and rigor, where the heart bearing the light of the sun was produced to a silent and awed crowd which shed tears of gratitude. But as for the barbarians across the sea, I have heard the most unsettling things about their sacrifices - how they almost seem to enjoy that act and ignore the requirements set out before us, and they would have us all devoured by the Tzitzimimeh as the sun died. I am reminded constantly of how fragile all the civilization we have built is. The others in court are intelligent and responsive, yes, and they can react quickly to a crisis, but I fear the empire grows stagnant and unwilling to reform itself. Were it not for all this - we would be like those few nomads we discovered, shivering and alone in the cold, not knowing fire or hunting let alone law, commerce, order, and the art and science of warfare. Yet I still marvel at the strength of our alliance, and indeed how all of us are willing to come together in the most difficult of times.

I believe because of the results, then, my brother. I pray we still have our fifth sun. The world is not over yet.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 8, 2020

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Kangxi posted:

I attend our ceremonies always, and they are still events of great solemnity and rigor, where the heart was produced to a silent and awed crowd which shed tears of gratitude. But as for the barbarians across the sea, I have heard the most unsettling things about their sacrifices - how they almost seem to enjoy that act and ignore the requirements set out before us, and they would have us all devoured by the Tzitzimimeh as the sun died. I am reminded constantly of how fragile all the civilization we have built is. The others in court are intelligent and responsive, yes, and they can react quickly to a crisis, but I fear the empire grows stagnant and unwilling to reform itself in times of crisis. Were it not for all this - we would be like those few nomads we discovered, shivering and alone in the cold, not knowing fire or hunting let alone law, commerce, order, and the art and science of warfare. Yet I still marvel at the strength of our alliance, and indeed how all of us are willing to come together in the most difficult of times.

Ahh, I'm so glad to see that euros misunderstanding aztec rites is a universal constant.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
PRELUDE: 1444

From The Sangha at War: Japanese Perceptions of Violence in the Late Medieval and Early Modern by Qusay Al-Khalil (Jerusalem University Press, 2002).

The following manuscript, written in classical Japanese, and listed in the Ouyang-Terauchi classification system as OYT 4-247b, was found in the archives of the Hanlin Academy in Beijing without a title or known author, and it is tentatively dated to the mid-15th century. The text and approach are typical of the writings produced in this stage of the Ikko-Ikki rule of western Honshu.

In the present hostilities, into which we have entered with great reluctance, we pursue no egotistic purpose but seek the subjugation of evils hostile to civilization, peace, and enlightenment. To our west are feckless brigands and thieves; to our east are petty warlords all under the nominal domain of a 'shogun', whose only purpose is to plunder.

While it is indeed true there are proscriptions against all acts of violence, the case is altogether different with the one who is compelled to lift the sword. For it is really not she but the sword itself that does the killing. She has no desire to do harm to anybody, but the enemy appears and makes herself a victim. It is as though the sword performs automatically its function of justice, which is the function of mercy. When the sword is expected to play this sort of role in human life, it is no more a weapon of self-defense or an instrument of killing, and the swordswoman turns into an artist of the first grade, engaged in producing a work of genuine originality.

According to the great tradition, it is guiltless to kill from compassion. If I kill you, the objective is not to kill you, but to save you, because if I do not kill you, you will kill a great many other people, thus causing great suffering and incurring great guilt. By killing you, I prevent you from doing this, so that I can save both you and them. To kill people from compassion in such a way is not wrongdoing.

The Tibetan Empire, having been ruled by the terrible demoness Lasya for many decades, had exhausted itself through the extinguishment of its nobles and the wasting of its army in wars against the fiendish Mongolians and their failed attempt to conquer China and cast the path into obscurity, and found itself a house with rotten floorboards and worm-eaten beams. In the years after her death and her banishment into Avici, the empire was sent through a series of catastrophic civil wars and famines as the nobility each sought to claim a portion of her spoils.

For her aspirations to absolute control were false, and disintegrated upon her passing. The empire retains its possessions through its authority only, as ephemeral as the wind, and the vassal kings, the tribal chiefs, and the merchant princes now rule their own lands themselves; the old state has passed away as all things are impermanent.

Indeed, the only remaining connection between many of these new states is the institution of the Sacred Hierarchy, which rules in Kham.

Bön truths appear pleasing, but they are all categorically false, and attract believers as a moth is drawn to candlelight and consumed by the flames. Their miracles are false. Their saints are false idols and trickster demons. Their beliefs are delusional. Their faiths are superstition.

For goodness is not determined by a family lineage or by the actions of the gods, but by the right conduct and right thought that one accomplishes with each life.

The Jin Dynasty, although far too conciliatory with their western neighbors at present and tolerant of their evil, have done much to advance the cause of enlightenment and right teaching. If they could be persuaded to destroy the Tibetan Empire once and for all, their benefit to all enlightened beings would be immeasurable. Still, they are prone to incorrect thoughts about reconciliation with the Bön church, and believe, in spite of everything, that the demonic apparition that called herself the Second Pakmodru Tse was a vessel for right thought instead of an elaborate deception.

To their north, the devilish Khans struggle to hold their empire together; already the west has broken away and their trade routes are choked and sources of wealth impoverished.

To the south, the great militant kingdoms of Ava and Ayutthaya have consolidated their rule over their weaker neighbors, led by great conquerors. Endeavoring forth with great courage and skill, we know they cannot fail, and they are a mighty bulwark against Tibetan expansion.

Still further south, the great seafaring kingdom of Majahapit dominates the southern trade routes,

and controls trade to still other kingdoms that we know still less about. They are not an immediate priority.

To the far west, the Timurids, brought back from oblivion by the reign of Timur II, the slayer of the enlightened, the sower of discord, the tyrant, are again splintering. They have lost the Arabian peninsula and their eastern holdings.

The Sacred Hierarchy's holdings in the west also falter, and a rump state clings to some mountains.

The great Buddhist kingdoms to the west are triumphant and resilient,

and have expelled and driven back their opponents to the south.

But Tibet -- the nest of evil, must still be destroyed. After so many centuries of hearing about the strength of Bön, we are ready to marshal our resources and rebound against them with our great spirit. This represents the military ideal.

The empire is on its last legs, and after our unification of Japan and alliance with China, we must destroy and wipe out all traces of the great evil. Sovereign power is the greatest evidence of blessings.

The old empress is a rotting corpse upon the throne, and her demonic authority dissipates with each passing day.

With the sword, cut through desires and illusion! With the sword, cut all demons who interfere with the way and force them to surrender! Fear not sacrificing yourself for this great wisdom!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The Timurids are surprisingly high up in great powerosity.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I am so hyped for EUIV to start. You've done a great job, Kangxi!

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Are those Tibetan Free Cities? That is just delightfully odd.

Have there ever really been proper Free Cities outside of Europe? Historically speaking? As in cities answering directly to some higher overlord?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sacred Heirarchy instead of Holy See...we're going to get Bon Protestantism, aren't we? (whatever the gently caress that looks like)

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The Buddhist International should be fun :allears:

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
What happened with the split between Ethiopia and "Axum that's not in Axum" again? It's been a while.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So is there a fix for the thing where if we unify we immediately lose all our bonuses or are we just going to cross that bridge when we come to it? I'd imagine the latter, since who knows if we can even accomplish that.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

RagnarokZ posted:

Have there ever really been proper Free Cities outside of Europe? Historically speaking? As in cities answering directly to some higher overlord?

I believe there were similar situations from time to time in South-East Asia - The mandala system was similar in many respects to European feudalism, and city-states did try and pledge allegiance to distant overlords to avoid being dominated by more local centers of power.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm a huge fan of Europe being backwards as gently caress in EUIV.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

PurpleXVI posted:

The Timurids are surprisingly high up in great powerosity.

The Persia region still has some of the best-developed provinces in the world after conversion.

RagnarokZ posted:

In TibetLP, Those would be Keonhjar, Madurai, Kochin, Calicut, Palitana, and Lahore. Those were a way to adapt some of the provinces in CK2 that had mostly town holdings.

Also, aside from the Mandala system that was mentioned earlier, the Mueang and Pyu city-states were in existence in Southeast Asia for some time.

SirPhoebos posted:

Sacred Heirarchy instead of Holy See...we're going to get Bon Protestantism, aren't we? (whatever the gently caress that looks like)

Bonestantism

super-redguy posted:

What happened with the split between Ethiopia and "Axum that's not in Axum" again? It's been a while.

It's the result of the thread vote. Hindu Ethiopia is still a serious power but they've got some protracted wars and internal revolts to deal with.

Rody One Half posted:

So is there a fix for the thing where if we unify we immediately lose all our bonuses or are we just going to cross that bridge when we come to it? I'd imagine the latter, since who knows if we can even accomplish that.

If it comes to that, it wouldn't be too hard to write an event for the mod on the fly and add all those bonuses back. Of course, there's no guarantee this happens...

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm a huge fan of Europe being backwards as gently caress in EUIV.

If the priests keep eating people I'm sure things can work themselves out

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So now that things are starting to get into gear, what did all of the voting mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Kangxi posted:

Bonestantism

This had better be the name you use, Kangxi.