Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

https://mobile.twitter.com/PDChina/status/1226313591222964225

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Mons Hubris posted:

My wife’s family in Beijing and Inner Mongolia apparently haven’t left the house for a week and they aren’t on official lockdown or anything. Crazy.

The conspiracy theories in China are even worse than what we have. They don't have middle ground. Either you watch the state-controlled media or the horrific videos with little context on social media.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Lote posted:

It may be quietly raging undetected.

get wuhan flu an account

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmao NBC News reporting on that QUARANTINE CUBE video

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/1226317288841760768

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Original content, do not steal.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Watching these videos will decrease your CSPAM social score by creating disharmony in society.

Make sure you post some trump gifs to make up for it.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

you can't trust any of the videos really, that's one of many things that sucks about hypernomalised reality, information overload, where is the truth

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

gh0stpinballa posted:

you can't trust any of the videos really, that's one of many things that sucks about hypernomalised reality, information overload, where is the truth

Can you point out a video that you particularly consider being a fake? And by video, I mean the video itself, not the text comments they're posted with.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/ewong/status/1226224801158762496?s=20

Heartbreaking article. I suspect things are much worse than China is letting on. Regarding the videos, they are so effective, fake or not, because of how China shuts down on information spreading. Humans assume the worst naturally in these situations

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
what's the current number?

is it up again?

what is the virus's racism number?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

BoldFace posted:

Can you point out a video that you particularly consider being a fake? And by video, I mean the video itself, not the text comments they're posted with.

what do you mean fake? might be perfectly real but edited, lacking crucial context, etc.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ahahaha lol lollll ahaha.

I'm guaranteed to catch this if it spreads here, I work in a restaurant/bar.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gh0stpinballa posted:

what do you mean fake? might be perfectly real but edited, lacking crucial context, etc.

Here's another metal box quarantine fake news video straight from China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO3MttgvHUY

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

BoldFace posted:

There was a video of a person claimed to be a nurse and said 90k were infected. That video came out on Chinese new year so Jan 25. Probably from the Falun gong people. The reason I knew it was fake is that she actual said her name.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

idk why "let's not go batshit insane over every 30 second clip uploaded to twitter" is a massive ask but here we are

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfy7K34fhdk&t=413s

The WHO asking social media to self-censor seems like a pipe dream at this point.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

oxsnard posted:

What? No, that's what dipshits like Trump think. They are desperate to keep it up, as they desire to move onto being a consumption based economy. Everytime the offshore Yuan starts to get shaky, it's always in the down direction. Currency contols are in place to discourage selling RMB, which is why Chinese citizens pump up houses in Vancouver and bitcoins

Recent movements in the RMB in the last few years have shown this not to be the case. Also, keeping the RMb "up" makes little sense considering it would discourage exports and encourage imports.

Also, if the Chinese central bank was desperate to stabilize the RMB it would be raising interest rates and going through currency reserves at a frantic pace. Also, the RMB wouldn't slowly becoming a reserve currency (still a minor one at this point).

Trump wasn't technically wrong that the Chinese government is probably artificially devaluing the RMB, the ridiculous part is that plenty of other governments do that as welll, it is just China is one of our current geopolitical rivals.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 12, 2020

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i think the quarantine cube thing is real and pretty freaky, but the screams at the end sounded fake and tacked on, especially considering the source is a weirdo indian nationalist twitter account.

The Cube is definitely something some freaked out local gov officially probably came up

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i think the quarantine cube thing is real and pretty freaky, but the screams at the end sounded fake and tacked on, especially considering the source is a weirdo indian nationalist twitter account.

The Cube is definitely something some freaked out local gov officially probably came up

Just hoping that we get quarantine orbs, amirite?

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
more like tecatevirus

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Recent movements in the RMB in the last few years have shown this got to be the case. Also, keeping the RMb "up" makes little sense considering it would discourage exports and encourage imports.

Also, if the Chinese central bank was desperate to stabilize the RMB it would be raising interest rates and going through currency reserves at a frantic pace. Also, the RMB wouldn't slowly becoming a reserve currency (still a minor one at this point).

Trump wasn't technically wrong that the Chinese government is probably artificially devaluing the RMB, the ridiculous part is that plenty of other governments do that as welll, it is just China is one of our current geopolitical rivals.

This is insanely wrong. China props up the RMB for the specific reason of trying to become a reserve currency and to have pricing power on commodity purchases. Every single Western hedge fund manager who makes a bet on the RMB does so on the short end for a good reason. If they allowed free float it would drop 10-20% overnight

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/28/china-economy-how-pboc-controls-the-yuan-rmb-amid-trade-war.html

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spergin Morlock posted:

JIT economic crisis

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Just hoping that we get quarantine orbs, amirite?

It is not uncommon to see patients undergo permanent psychological trauma in the presence of the Sphere, before the nerve stapler has even been strapped into position. 

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

oxsnard posted:

This is insanely wrong. China props up the RMB for the specific reason of trying to become a reserve currency and to have pricing power on commodity purchases. Every single Western hedge fund manager who makes a bet on the RMB does so on the short end for a good reason. If they allowed free float it would drop 10-20% overnight

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/28/china-economy-how-pboc-controls-the-yuan-rmb-amid-trade-war.html

Btw that story is from August of last year when the PBOC was clearly intentionally weakening the RMB. Pricing power on commodities doesn’t really make sense if a country is still clearly focused on exports.

Chinese currency reserves and inflation are stable as are Chinese interest rates so ... no? Likewise trade data hasn’t shown a major shift at least so far. That said, if everything is “made up” then you are free to dream up anything.

Also, that article doesn’t support your thesis either FYI, it even says the Chinese are intentionally devaluing.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 9, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

I thought that was already known early on that it was transmitted via air (i.e. cough droplets and sneezes)

i hope you dont smoke like most people in the food industry

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1226363059498733568?s=19

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Legit think that when this is over the total reported death toll will be like 20,000, but in reality it will over a million dead, and we'll only find out in 20 years.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Raccooon posted:

That sucks I touch my face all the time. Got the flu after the flu shot. Looks like there is a strain of the flu not covered in the shot as a ton of people are getting it here.

The flu shot's never 100% effective, and some years they miss the strain entirely so it's hot garbage. But it's better than nothing, and stands a decent chance of keeping you out of a doctor's office taking up space and potentially exposing you to nCov if it happens to get a foothold here.

Also, most people who think they get the flu and don't actually go to the doctor and get a culture or whatever just had a really bad cold. Bad cold is I feel miserable I'm hacking and coughing up grey slime but medicine sorta works and I can barely function. Influenza is more I've been laying on this couch for fifteen hours under three blankets but I can't stop shaking and if I so much as blink my eyes I think I'll go into renal failure.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

human garbage bag posted:

Legit think that when this is over the total reported death toll will be like 20,000, but in reality it will over a million dead, and we'll only find out in 20 years.

Doubt it, those people have social media accounts

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Kentucky Fried Coronavirus

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/health/coronavirus-patients.html

quote:

One patient, admitted to a hospital in Wuhan, China, infected at least 10 health care workers and four other patients with the coronavirus that has sickened more than 34,000 people, killed 700 and reached two dozen other countries.

The case was just one disturbing detail in a new report on 138 patients in Wuhan that helps explain how the illness progresses and how it spreads.

The report, one of two published on Friday by JAMA, is among the most comprehensive articles to date about people infected with the newly identified virus.

The patients ranged in age from 22 to 92, with a median of 56 years, and were admitted to Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University from Jan. 1 to Jan 28. Many of them — 41 percent — were presumed to have caught the virus in the hospital, including 17 people who had been admitted for other illnesses, and 40 health care workers.

The patient who infected so many health workers had been placed in a surgical ward because of abdominal symptoms, and the coronavirus was not initially suspected. Four other patients in that ward also contracted the disease, presumably from the first patient.

The incident was a chilling reminder of the “super-spreaders” in outbreaks of other coronavirus diseases, SARS and MERS — patients who infected huge numbers of other people, sometimes dozens. The phenomenon is poorly understood and unpredictable, an epidemiologist’s nightmare. Super-spreaders led to considerable transmission of MERS and SARS inside hospitals.

Reporting on Friday in JAMA, the authors said their data suggested that rapid person-to-person spread of the virus had occurred among their cases. That was in part because of patients like the one admitted to the surgical department, whose symptoms misled doctors into suspecting other illnesses and failing to take precautions to prevent spread of the virus until it was too late.

About 10 percent of the patients did not initially have the usual symptoms, cough and fever, but instead had diarrhea and nausea first. Other uncommon symptoms included headache, dizziness and abdominal pain.

Another cause for concern was that some patients who at first appeared mildly or moderately ill then took a turn for the worse several days or even a week into their illness. The median time from their first symptoms to when they became short of breath was five days; to hospitalization, seven days; and to severe breathing trouble, eight days. Experts say that pattern means patients must be carefully monitored, and it is not safe to assume that someone who seems to be doing well early on is out of the woods.

The finding is a “heads up” to doctors to keep an eye on these patients, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said in a recorded interview posted by JAMA.

Like previous reports on coronavirus patients, this one found that older people and those with underlying health problems like diabetes, heart disease or cancer tended to become more severely ill than younger, healthier patients.

Over all, about 26 percent of the 138 patients needed intensive care; their median age was 66, compared with a median of 51 years for those who did not require intensive care.

For this series of patients, the death rate was 4.3 percent, which is higher than the estimates coming from other parts of China. The reason is not known, and the figures may change as more information is gathered.

Unlike some earlier reports, the new one did not find many more men than women to be infected: 54 percent of the patients were male.

The data on the patients shows that the illness caused pneumonia and a systemic viral infection that set off a powerful inflammatory response in the body, Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University, said in an interview.

“There are biochemical indicators that a number of the body’s organ systems are likely affected and you have an inflammatory response that is disrupting their function to some extent,” Dr. Schaffner said.

The lungs, heart, liver, kidneys and the systems that control blood clotting are all affected, Dr. Schaffner said, though it is not clear that the virus itself infects organs other than the lungs.

The inflammatory response is a hallmark of a serious viral disease, he said, adding that in recent years it has become apparent that heightened inflammation from diseases like the flu can persist for a month or so after the acute illness is gone, and can increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes in older people.

The second JAMA report concerns 13 patients treated in three hospitals in Beijing from Jan. 16 to Jan. 29. They were younger than the Wuhan group, with a median age of 34, and no underlying diseases. Only one was over 50. The youngest was a 2-year-old. They did not become as ill as the Wuhan patients, and none died.

The cases, mostly in healthy, young adults, should dispel the notion that only older people contract the illness.

“It can take a young, healthy person and make them sick,” Dr. Schaffner said. “That’s clear from the health care workers and the young people in this paper.”

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
spooling up my brainwrinkles to protect against the DNC using ncov as an excuse for canceling Super Tuesday or something

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Gas

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

spooling up my brainwrinkles to protect against the DNC using ncov as an excuse for canceling Super Tuesday or something

:prepop: it's gonna happen folks

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

etalian posted:

Watching these videos will decrease your CSPAM social score by creating disharmony in society.

Make sure you post some trump gifs to make up for it.

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

Good lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

oxsnard posted:

Heartbreaking article. I suspect things are much worse than China is letting on. Regarding the videos, they are so effective, fake or not, because of how China shuts down on information spreading. Humans assume the worst naturally in these situations
i think there's a kind of trap because the virus seems, uh, really bad. like the chinese government freaking out as much as it did shortly after it started is what initially made me anxious. but rumors which then spread panic can make things even worse. so there's an odd kind of thing where "everything is fine! don't panic!" while the army is dumping troops in biosuits on the place and locking everything down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP132E-xABg

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You gotta look at the bright site of all of this. This pandemic will lead to an increased desire for redundancy in global supply chains and improve institutional knowledge and resources needed to deal with pandemics in general. So when the really deadly one hits that researchers have been anticipating for years it won't be so bad. The experience from the Wuhan flu might help us keep global gdp drop below 50% then.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's almost like there's a reason for why the WHO doesn't recommend heavy handed tactics like dragging people out of their homes or mass travel bans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think there's a kind of trap because the virus seems, uh, really bad. like the chinese government freaking out as much as it did shortly after it started is what initially made me anxious. but rumors which then spread panic can make things even worse. so there's an odd kind of thing where "everything is fine! don't panic!" while the army is dumping troops in biosuits on the place and locking everything down

that article Sheng-Ji Yang just posted I think actually helps us understand the soldiers in biosuits and everything. This part in particular:

quote:

Reporting on Friday in JAMA, the authors said their data suggested that rapid person-to-person spread of the virus had occurred among their cases. That was in part because of patients like the one admitted to the surgical department, whose symptoms misled doctors into suspecting other illnesses and failing to take precautions to prevent spread of the virus until it was too late.

About 10 percent of the patients did not initially have the usual symptoms, cough and fever, but instead had diarrhea and nausea first. Other uncommon symptoms included headache, dizziness and abdominal pain.

Another cause for concern was that some patients who at first appeared mildly or moderately ill then took a turn for the worse several days or even a week into their illness. The median time from their first symptoms to when they became short of breath was five days; to hospitalization, seven days; and to severe breathing trouble, eight days. Experts say that pattern means patients must be carefully monitored, and it is not safe to assume that someone who seems to be doing well early on is out of the woods.

The finding is a “heads up” to doctors to keep an eye on these patients, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said in a recorded interview posted by JAMA.

seems like even people with unusual or mild symptoms can be extremely contagious, like the example in that article of one infected person who spread it to 14 others in a hospital because they weren't immediately placed in quarantine because they presented with unusual symptoms.

For a virus like that, where any person you encounter could be infected and contagious, and even those who initially appear to be presenting with a different disease could still have the contagious coronavirus, and your healthcare workers are all getting sick because they didn't know these things until they got hit in the face with them, how do you as a strong centralized state deal with that? One--tbh fairly logical--response, if you have the state capacity and will to do so, is to lock down the area to try and prevent further transmission, bring in soldiers to do the jobs secondary health workers would otherwise be doing like transporting people to and from hospitals and disinfecting areas where you know infected people have been spending time and building healthcare infrastructure, and make sure they're wearing gear to protect them against contamination at all times since even responding to a call of "help I've got diarrhea" might mean coronavirus. You can be pretty certain that if (when?) this happened in the US, you'd see the National Guard called up to help with the logistics of it all, the same way they are for disaster relief, and if the people running it if (when) that happens aren't complete and utter morons, they'll make sure every National Guard worker is wearing as much hazmat gear as they can spare at all times, because in a situation like this one of the worst things that can happen is your healthcare workers getting sick, since it simultaneously reduces the number of people fighting the disease and adds another patient for the remaining not-sick healthcare workers to treat.