Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
If all SOLDIER have Jenova cells, then Hojo really is the worst scientist. You can have 100 successful experiments, and that doesn't "prove" a theory, but a single unsuccessful experiment can disprove it. So if there are a bunch of Jenova-injected SOLDIERs that aren't participating in the reunion, then his reunion theory is bunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

If all SOLDIER have Jenova cells, then Hojo really is the worst scientist. You can have 100 successful experiments, and that doesn't "prove" a theory, but a single unsuccessful experiment can disprove it. So if there are a bunch of Jenova-injected SOLDIERs that aren't participating in the reunion, then his reunion theory is bunk.

It actually doesn't seem to be bunk but rather depends on just how heavy an injection they got. The Sephiroth Clones/Copies are the direct result of Hojo trying to make something that would join a reunion which is why they (and Cloud) are so heavily influenced. The relatively smaller amount a 'regular' SOLDIER got doesn't seem to have as strong a pull but the retired SOLDIER we meet absolutely is feeling it by the endpoint.

This also is likely why the SOLDIERs we meet in-game are kinda mediocre. They're stronger than the average soldier but SOLDIER is basically a cover for Shinra's other Super Soldier projects. That isn't to say they suck terribly (the 1st class soldiers you can run into are strong enough to be endgame enemies for example) but it's basically like Captain America vs Thor. One is really badass and the other levels battlefields.

As for why the protagonists are insanely badass, Cloud and Vincent are both Hojo experiments, Tifa learned from a wise old kung-fu master which in anime terms means you're a god, Barret decided he should replace his arm with a gun and just continues to add more and more absurd guns against all sense and logic, Aerith isn't human but half human, half planet fairy thing, Yuffie is a ninja and thus can Naruto Run to avoid bullets, Red XIII is a magic fire dogcat, Cait Sith is a helluva advanced Shinra robot who may also be magic(??), and Cid... well, Cid is older than 25 and thus is a wise aged warrior.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 9, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

As I said, it's a matter of willpower. SOLDIERS are selected for their ability to use all the benefits of Jenova Cells without the negative effects of being a puppet for an alien monster.

Normal people like the folks from Nibelheim aren't really up to the task of resisting alien mind control so they show tat Jenova does in fact have the power to control every single one of its cells.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

1st class, indeed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I choose to believe that all SOLDIER 1st classes fight by holding their penislance and charging right at the enemy and the reason they are so feared is because who the gently caress is crazy enough to do that?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the custom SOLDIER trio that you fight on Shinra HQ from a mod I don't remember the name. I greatly enjoyed that fight.

Edit: Found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvgij-Zxk-o

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/Komoroshi/status/1226372749821480961

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

NikkolasKing posted:

You never meet any SOLDIER 1st Classes except Zack and Sephiroth. They were the elite of the elite, I guess. No fodder for them.

I definitely remember SOLDIER 1st Class enemies being in the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As has been mentioned, you fight SOLDIER 3rd class in the Shinra building, 2nd class in Junon on disc 3, and 1st class in the Midgar raid right before the final dungeon.

Yousomuscle
Sep 13, 2012
The first time I played ff7 on the EDIOS port to PC, I only used Vincent and Yuffie because they were the secret characters and therefore must be better in every way to the boring, 'free' characters. I ended up barely winning the final fight after being wiped by Sephiroth by Vincent's limit break, who saved the world by chucking a tree at the embodiment of evil. I hope the remake delivers the same quality.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vincent and Yuffie are kinda good for the campaign. Yuffie has Doom of the Living, the broken Morph weapon and she's generally speaking decent. Both are long range characters. The main problem is that Vincent's limit is that sort of uncomfortable skill that is not very obvious about how good or bad it is and by the end of the game anyone who's been trying to optimize things has probably found out he's just way behind Cloud/Cid/Barret/Yuffie.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 9, 2020

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
All characters are the same, in that they can all equip Mime to follow up W-Summoned Knights of the Round

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yuffie is great. I really wonder if or how they'll incorporate the fun but bonkers way to abuse the game's systems. Or abusing W-Item and stuff like that, all seem like fundamental parts of the charm of FF7 but a lot of that seemed really unintentional. Seems like it'd be a tall order to replicate that in remake form. I also wonder if this new format means each game is going to how its own full power curve, or what. They going to make an Act 1 type Ruby weapon ridiculous boss to defeat only using some absurd gimmick or all 7s or something.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mechafunkzilla posted:

All characters are the same, in that they can all equip Mime to follow up W-Summoned Knights of the Round

Miming the limits is better though and KOTR kinda sucks. You can kill most bosses by just spamming 4x-Cut in a fraction of the time it'd take KOTR to do something.

The only times I used KOTR were the first time I got it (wow so much damage in a single command) and when writing the LP. Otherwise I just skip it because it's just so slow.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Doesn't one of the final bosses get a boatload of extra HP if you use Knights of the Round on an earlier form? Just for a little extra gently caress you.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah. It's essentially a "wait we don't want you to kill Sephiroth in one turn"

Or you can have a well-geared Yuffie outdamage KOTR with Doom of the Living.

It's still behind Highwind/Ungarmax/Omnislash but at that point it's so overpowering it kinda doesn't matter.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh hey, I just started reading your FF7 LP, I guess if anyone would know how to break the bosses over their knee it's you. I'm enjoying learning more about how useful steal is and life in Brazil.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elentor posted:

It's still behind Highwind/Ungarmax/Omnislash but at that point it's so overpowering it kinda doesn't matter.

Yeah, this. I was new to RPGs when I played FF7 on the PC and was overall not into thinking critically about these kinds of things yet. Even if KOTR boosted the final form of Sephiroth to some level, it really didn't matter; it wasn't like you couldn't just cast it every turn or something and it ended up trucking right through him. My only early-teens recollection of the Sephiroth fight is having to go find some extra ribbons or something because the status afflictions were just stunlocking me to death.

Also echoing the other poster, I assumed KOTR had to be the absolute best damage in the game because it was such a pain to get. :v:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Elentor posted:

Miming the limits is better though and KOTR kinda sucks. You can kill most bosses by just spamming 4x-Cut in a fraction of the time it'd take KOTR to do something.

The only times I used KOTR were the first time I got it (wow so much damage in a single command) and when writing the LP. Otherwise I just skip it because it's just so slow.

but 11-year-old me enjoyed watching KOTR, therefore, you're wrong

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Mechafunkzilla posted:

but 11-year-old me enjoyed watching KOTR, therefore, you're wrong

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
All characters are equally good at watching Tifa kick everything to death.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yuffie is great and I will hear no words to the contrary.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Zarin posted:

Even if KOTR boosted the final form of Sephiroth to some level, it really didn't matter; it wasn't like you couldn't just cast it every turn or something
Well unless you mastered it (takes a poo poo load of grinding) or you got Mime, you in fact couldn't do that.

And if you've grinded enough to get Master Summon or even just Mastered KOTR so now you have two, you aren't going to have a challenge with the final boss anyway.

I hope when/if they get to part 2 or 3 and have KOTR, it's a similarly long animation that triples the length of the battle.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

PancakeTransmission posted:

Well unless you mastered it (takes a poo poo load of grinding) or you got Mime, you in fact couldn't do that.

And if you've grinded enough to get Master Summon or even just Mastered KOTR so now you have two, you aren't going to have a challenge with the final boss anyway.

I hope when/if they get to part 2 or 3 and have KOTR, it's a similarly long animation that triples the length of the battle.

Oh. I, uh. Hmm, well this is embarassing.

So I farmed a SHITLOAD on those Magic Pots in the northern cave with the Apocalypse Blade (whichever one had 3x materia growth) and mastered a bunch of materia before heading to the final boss.

I sold some of those mastered materia (I think All was one of the ones with the best resale value) and had millions of gil to get all stocked up on and then I came to the conclusion that . . . there was nothing to buy that I wanted or needed. :negative:

Remember the part where I said I hadn't learned to think critically about these things yet? Yeah, about that. :downs:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yuffie is great and I will hear no words to the contrary.

Lucky for you, this is text, so you can just read that Yuffie and Vincent (and Red XIII) are garbage.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
The PC version of FFXV came out a year and a half after the PS4 release. Has there been any indication of a timeline for that regarding the FF7 Remake? I suppose I should just try and find a used PS4 somewhere.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ImpAtom posted:

As for why the protagonists are insanely badass, Cloud and Vincent are both Hojo experiments, Tifa learned from a wise old kung-fu master which in anime terms means you're a god, Barret decided he should replace his arm with a gun and just continues to add more and more absurd guns against all sense and logic, Aerith isn't human but half human, half planet fairy thing, Yuffie is a ninja and thus can Naruto Run to avoid bullets, Red XIII is a magic fire dogcat, Cait Sith is a helluva advanced Shinra robot who may also be magic(??), and Cid... well, Cid is older than 25 and thus is a wise aged warrior.
The Cetra are still human. Those who were not transformed into animals. I believe the tribe got split up after Jenova was defeated and those who resettled other parts of the planet lost their ability to commune with nature and developed technology as the cornerstone of their civilization.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ragequit posted:

The PC version of FFXV came out a year and a half after the PS4 release. Has there been any indication of a timeline for that regarding the FF7 Remake? I suppose I should just try and find a used PS4 somewhere.

The box says it will be a ps4 exclusive for 1 year. So probably PC in April 2021.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yuffie has some unique things going for her despite materia making a lot of character uniqueness pointless since anyone with an Enemy Skill materia with Big Guard, White Wind, Magic Hammer, and then Trine/Aqualung/Beta can pretty much kill everything by themselves.

All of her weapons are long range, which is great. Early game, her double materia growth weapon is only 1 atk weaker than the equivalent tier normal growth weapon bought in Cosmo Canyon where other characters suffer like -6 atk instead. She has a decent split between her LBs at every level and good multipliers for overall damage. The Conformer is one of the better ultimate weapons since it doesn't require any grinding or upkeep and consistently will do good damage, even through Morph.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When I played FF7 Yuffie killed the last boss pretty much by herself. I hadn't done any grinding or optional stuff (I've never gotten Knights of the Round) but her ultimate weapon was super easy to find and was ridiculous against him because of the way out calculated damage

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gonna load up on counter attack materia and jsut watch enemies kill themselves on Cloud.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gonna load up on counter attack materia and jsut watch enemies kill themselves on Cloud.

When's the earliest you can get Counter? I wonder if a "Pacifist" run is possible.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Elentor posted:

I like the custom SOLDIER trio that you fight on Shinra HQ from a mod I don't remember the name. I greatly enjoyed that fight.

Edit: Found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvgij-Zxk-o
Man, I don't remember that at all. Was that in the LP?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xander77 posted:

That video is from a mod called Hardcore.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6818.0

It was decently fun, although I disliked the optional bosses guarding the Materia Caves. Granted, I couldn't figure out a way to beat them so maybe i just suck.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xander77 posted:

It was in a bonus session about mods. Someone in the LP thread had recommended that mod. It took me a lot of time to get the triple steal on that boss and I loved the challenge, it was different from everything in the original game.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

What the gently caress lol

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1228001480969461760?s=19

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That carbuncle and chocobo chick are terrifying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That chocobo is very Howard the duck.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So a bunch of screenshots were released and uhhh

Spoilers I guess?

Is this outside Midgar? Maybe some sidequests will take you outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
well, uhhhh the cactuar looks nice.