Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Haven’t played Amid Evil but people were giving a lot of poo poo to Prodeus’ art yet I can’t tell wtf is going on in Amid Evil. I guess it’s because all the footage I’ve seen is in Evil mode where everything is faster but stylistically it reminds me of original Serious Sam where everything is super shiny except it’s lit like an EDM club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I didnt like Amid Evil in the EA but liked it more when they made changes to the enemies so they didnt just run at you. I restarted it on hard eventually and never actually went back to finish the game when they added the final two episodes.

Having unique enemies for each episode is a neat idea but the roster always ended up feeling slim, like you just fought the same dudes with the same weapons the same way every time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Overbite posted:

I didnt like Amid Evil in the EA but liked it more when they made changes to the enemies so they didnt just run at you. I restarted it on hard eventually and never actually went back to finish the game when they added the final two episodes.

Having unique enemies for each episode is a neat idea but the roster always ended up feeling slim, like you just fought the same dudes with the same weapons the same way every time.

Broad but shallow enemy pool yeah. I would recommend playing the last two episodes, 6 is pretty widely considered to be the best and they both have pretty decent enemy sets compared to some of the others.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Each episode was only three levels tho, so the small rosters per never had time to wear out their welcome.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i definitely kind of enjoyed dusk's roster a bit more overall, which probably isn't fair since the entire game has a chance to let them shine while also still having episode-specific ones that are brought back way later on and interspersed throughout for some extra fun. it also helps that each dusk episode is longer. amid evil's approach isn't bad, but in a way it meant the devs had to fill certain 'roles' in each episode which kind of shaped how the episode-specific enemies were designed for better or worse.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mordja posted:

Each episode was only three levels tho, so the small rosters per never had time to wear out their welcome.

The snakes definitely wear out their welcome one level in

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

dusk's roster rules, except for the mouth guys

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Karasu Tengu posted:

My problem with Amid Evil's art and style is that it's very noisy and grainy in gameplay and I have a lot of trouble telling enemy apart from background from projectile and it leads to a lot of eyestrain and unfun deaths.

Activating AA helps with the noise/graininess.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

Yes and no. It's true that with only 3 levels, in theory you shouldn't wear out their welcome. But the overall design decision of having several small rosters, instead of one big roster of enemies definitively wasn't a good choise. Part of the boring parts would be less boring if they could make more interesting encounters with a bigger 'palette' of enemies. Some of the levels (ep 3 and 4) were a slog because they use simple enemies that weren't that fun to fight against. edit: oh other people also exposed the same reasoning, nice to see I'm not alone.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i definitely kind of enjoyed dusk's roster a bit more overall, which probably isn't fair since the entire game has a chance to let them shine while also still having episode-specific ones that are brought back way later on and interspersed throughout for some extra fun. it also helps that each dusk episode is longer. amid evil's approach isn't bad, but in a way it meant the devs had to fill certain 'roles' in each episode which kind of shaped how the episode-specific enemies were designed for better or worse.

dusk's enemies are just sort of the doom roster with some episode specific variations but it works great because the doom roster is great

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Some dude's making a MW-like in Darkplaces.
https://battlemetalgame.itch.io/battlemetal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdvSF_4Mvk

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
holy poo poo, that's loving raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gave Wrath another shot. Apparently it got a patch, looks like mid-December?

The fang gun feels much punchier- they seem to have halved the magazine size and doubled the damage? Something like that. It loving shreds.

I also noticed that, I think this is a patch change but it might be something I just didn’t noticed the first time round, there’s now a fucktonne of range on the shotgun alt-fire- it’s almost a rocket launcher in terms of effectiveness. Means there’s finally a good option for dealing with those frog bastards. High skill ceiling on it too, because there’s such a long wind up on it and it ricochets.

There are a bunch of other changes to enemy behaviour and damage and the game feels harder? It might be that I’m out of practice but I died a bunch and used the tethers a lot where before I was permanently maxed out on the things. A lot of “yoooou loving bastards :argh:” deaths on behalf of the shotgun guys, which I feel like is what you should expect from shotgun guys. There’s also now a fourth, higher difficulty, but I didn’t check it out.

I still think the game needs better hit confirm/feedback- shooting the frogs in particular can feel like pissing into a black hole because of their low pain chance and high health pools. It seems like the game’s heading in a good direction though.

Oh, I also did the levels in reverse order to how I did them first time, to check out how the dynamic difficulty thing works. Answer: it works. Swamp had a nice gentle ramp up while the catacombs has a hilariously bullshit opening if you do it second. Still didn’t like the swamp much- I think there’s a big problem with the broken ground and the way that fucks with your momentum in the Quake engine.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.twitch.tv/dragonflyos

A number greater than 4 mappers speedmapping an entire megawad you can shape with your donations in 24 hours right now. Live on the twitch stream of that guy you might know from Eviternity.
Currently at 26 complete maps.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 9, 2020

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I won a few bucks the other day and decided to try out Maximum Action. It's still rough as hell but it absolutely is scratching an Action Quake 2/ Action HL itch I didn't realize I had. Pretty enjoyable.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any good Quake 2 single player campaign mods like Arcane Dimensions? And are there any good ones for Quake 1 that aren’t Arcane Dimensions or that one episode from Machine Games?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-system-shock-3-team-is-no-longer-working-on-the-project-according-to-former-developer/

:smith:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

There's a frankly ridiculous amount of excellent single player content for Quake.

A few campaign-ish picks (sorry for not providing links):

Contract Revoked
Rubicon 2
Quoth (2)
Honey
Copper Quake is a mod that makes some general improvements to a bunch of things, but also comes with a new and pretty good episode.
I haven't played Quake 1.5, but some people love it.

Most of the Map Jams are structured like mini campaigns — they usually have a theme and a central hub. Really can't go wrong with the Jams.

Download the Quake Injector and go wild.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 9, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I also noticed that, I think this is a patch change but it might be something I just didn’t noticed the first time round, there’s now a fucktonne of range on the shotgun alt-fire- it’s almost a rocket launcher in terms of effectiveness. Means there’s finally a good option for dealing with those frog bastards. High skill ceiling on it too, because there’s such a long wind up on it and it ricochets.
Yeah, they went back and completely changed its secondary.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

anatomi posted:

There's a frankly ridiculous amount of excellent single player content for Quake.

A few campaign-ish picks (sorry for not providing links):

Contract Revoked
Rubicon 2
Quoth (2)
Honey
Copper Quake is a mod that makes some general improvements to a bunch of things, but also comes with a new and pretty good episode.
I haven't played Quake 1.5, but some people love it.

Most of the Map Jams are structured like mini campaigns — they usually have a theme and a central hub. Really can't go wrong with the Jams.

Download the Quake Injector and go wild.

This is correct and good.

An earlier post of mine is also relevant.

And there's the recent release Realm of the Lost too.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I wish the Amid Evil RTX patch would come out faster.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Is there a good Quake launcher similar to ZDL for Doom please?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

You don't really need one with modern source ports like Quakespasm (and I think Darkplaces too). Just type "game <foldername>" into the console to load a mod, and "map <filename>" to jump to a specific level.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Convex posted:

I don't know what ZDL is, but the Injector will give you a list of pretty much every single map ever made, keep track of the ones you've installed and automatically ensure you have all required dependencies.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks! I'll give the injector a try :)

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Simple Quake Launcher 2 is the other thing to mention. Unlike Quake Injector it won't download and install stuff for you, but sometimes you don't need/want that.

(However yeah in that case I usually just end up loadng the mod through the "game" console command.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Huh, I thought that was intentional game design because they're made of energy and Shodan was loving with them or something. It seems appropriate in-universe.

It does, but if you pay attention you'll notice that non-forcebridge room-over-room areas (like the cloverleaf on deck 7, or the catwalks also on deck 7, or the footbridges in the groves) are fucky in exactly the same way -- the model physics are optimized for things like "player runs into a crate/enemy/chair" or "player goes skull golfing" and while they work for "player walks on top of object" they don't feel great. Too bouncy.

:negative:

I mean, I figured this was coming at some point after how Underworld Ascendant went down -- yeah, different team, but the same company and the same pool of resources. But oof.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

ToxicFrog posted:

I mean, I figured this was coming at some point after how Underworld Ascendant went down -- yeah, different team, but the same company and the same pool of resources. But oof.

I truly cannot even begin to fathom what they were thinking with Underworld Ascendant. What level of cocaine fueled astral projection you gotta be on to think that was gonna not only go over well with fans of the series, but be any kind of a hit.

And since when was Starbreeze a publisher? They haven't made a good game since....Chronicles of Riddick in 2004....

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mordja posted:

Yeah, they went back and completely changed its secondary.

Cool. It's almost too good, honestly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I truly cannot even begin to fathom what they were thinking with Underworld Ascendant. What level of cocaine fueled astral projection you gotta be on to think that was gonna not only go over well with fans of the series, but be any kind of a hit.

And since when was Starbreeze a publisher? They haven't made a good game since....Chronicles of Riddick in 2004....

You best not be forgetting The Darkness.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
quakespasm has a mod menu in-game that lets you change mods on the fly, its awesome.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

al-azad posted:

OH gently caress you're right. The Darkness is straight fire.

Couldn't stand the sequel though, but I don't think that was made by them.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

al-azad posted:

A number of the Starbreeze folks responsible for Riddick and Darkness left to form MachineGames and make the new Wolf series

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Doom: but on the Amiga: but back on the PC update:

Still a some logic missing, but we now have something approaching an actual working game.

Worried about :files:? Grab the freely released Gloom3 / Ultimate Gloom . Or Zombie Massacre, except I can't actually get that ISO to work in anything, so get it from this CD instead.

Or why not try some of the mods, helpfully collated here by the world's biggest Gloom fan in .. Japan? Wait, did anyone have an Amiga in Japan?

Oh, and Gloom 3 does not have any movement animation frames, that's not a bug. That was a fun bug hunt until I read a contemporary review mentioning it.

https://github.com/Swizpig/ZGloom

Two Owls fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 9, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Starbreeze became a lot of things. I don't remember the exact order of events, but I think it was basically Payday 2 made so much money that Overkill turned around and bought Starbreeze outright. The dude at the top is apparently a walking disaster but thinks he's hot poo poo, so promptly signed deals with everyone and everything and then ran it all into the ground. Just as a good :psyduck: example, Starbreeze bought up and then started pushing their own bespoke VR headset....for seemingly no reason beyond "VR's hot right now".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Two Owls posted:

Or why not try some of the mods, helpfully collated here by the world's biggest Gloom fan in .. Japan? Wait, did anyone have an Amiga in Japan?

Apparently it was some sort of underground cult hit because, even though it wasn't directly marketed in Japan, it was still back then one of the best computers to do animations with.

https://www.chrismcovell.com/secret/OTH_1986Q1.html
https://amitopia.com/interview-shinji-amiga-in-japan/

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Looks like Starbreeze internally developed Brothers so they have an above average track record but got EA'd by terrible management which is the death knell of every successful AA independent developer in the market.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I was really looking forward to System Shock 3 :(. I was disappointed to hear about Underworld Ascendant, but I had hopes that they'd be able to pull it off.

I liked Escape from Butcher Bay (though I played the Dark Athena version), and I liked what I played of Syndicate, though I had to drop it because the bloom literally hurt my eyes. I'm disappointed The Darkness never hit PC, I really liked the sequel and would love to play the original. I don't play Payday, so I didn't pay much attention to Overkill, but I suspect that The Walking Dead is a cursed gaming franchise. If you get offered a chance to work on a Walking Dead game, don't do it, it seems like it'll destroy your company.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Payday 1 was a tight, fun game. It was pretty damned hard, at least compared to what PD2 would become.

Payday 2 has been fun through its entire run, even when things got rocky. At one point, it had serious issues with bugs and weapon/skill balance. The game was only really playable on its Overkill difficulty, which became easy for vets, but was heinously unfun to play on Death Wish, the highest difficulty. It also delivered content at a glacial pace compared to what was promised. When it seemed like the game was going to die, Overkill redoubled and started to add new content, rebalance weapons and skills, and just start tearing bugs out of the game. It also turns out that the game was a nightmare to program for, as it was based off of some kind of engine architecture for a racing game. One developer threw it out there that the level editor didn't even have an "undo" feature. They then actually picked up a Goon modder who proceeded to add his good mod ideas while fixing the engine and level editor. By the time he eventually left the team, the game was undergoing content bloat, with an assload of weapon, character, and heist packs, while the heists themselves were going from really interesting, intricate missions, to just turning into hallway maps and non-heists that were just "go here and kill a bunch of people along the way." They've lately gone back to the game and have tried to fix stuff up again, add new heists, cull the DLC complaints with a "complete" version, while also taking in feedback for Payday 3. Generally, the community kind of wants the game to calm down and go back to more tense heists of PD1/early-PD2 than the mega-shootouts of late-stage PD2.

Even though I'm complaining about the problems, the game feels good and has an active playerbase. The only real complaint is that some of the content can be divisive in terms of who it appeals to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Payday 2 made a lot - like, a lot - of money, that Starbreeze was committed to pissing away as extravagantly as possible on various failed ventures like publishing games like Psychonauts 2, a public arcade-use implementation of SteamVR called StarVR, and a half-finished game engine that they eventually had to throw out and replace with Unreal Engine 4.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Couldn't stand the sequel though, but I don't think that was made by them.
Sequel was by long-time Unreal Tournament collaborators Digital Extremes, who went on to fame with Warframe.

Cat Mattress posted:

Apparently it was some sort of underground cult hit because, even though it wasn't directly marketed in Japan, it was still back then one of the best computers to do animations with.

https://www.chrismcovell.com/secret/OTH_1986Q1.html
https://amitopia.com/interview-shinji-amiga-in-japan/
Fumito Ueda of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus fame also started out on the Amiga as a CG artist.