Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

ngl I'm like a little less excited to play it now that it's popular but the deck still kicks rear end, and I'm glad that it's getting away from running 3+ Brazen Borrower!

I’m running two brazen, two teferi in the main (two obstructionist in the side)
And the deck definitely jams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
murderous rider + traverse the ulvenwald is a golgari chef's kiss

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

im 2-0 in matches against dream trawler, the secret is to draft the literal only two cards in the set that can deal with it (lyre and thassa), and also draw them every game

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve beaten dream trawler twice by targeting it with a removal spell, allowing my opponent to discard a card and tap it, then alphastriking.

Kiora Bests the Sea God is much harder

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The only way you beat Kiora in draft is if you were already going to be winning with a big enough alpha strike that an extra 8/8 on their side doesn't help them.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I made top 8 of my 1k Pioneer with Sultai D. We split the pot, and that deck is gas.

Turns out you don't need to sideboard for Burn due to Uro.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Won a 49 minute game one today and went to turns in the second. The judge came by to ask for our score and my opponent was adamant it was game 3 and we were 1-1, fully arguing it. I don't think I've ever gotten so heated when playing.

edit: he was on mono blue and taking his time the whole g1

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 9, 2020

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

holy poo poo people do that for real? did you ask him to describe game 2, or show the judge how he sideboarded?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
This is another reason pen & paper is great for life totals. "oh really, we're on game three? then why do I only have life totals for a game 1 and this current game? curious, that!"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bonus posted:

holy poo poo people do that for real? did you ask him to describe game 2, or show the judge how he sideboarded?

I asked him how he killed me game 1, what he'd sideboarded, why was I just pulling out sideboard for "game 3" etc. He went with killing me with an elephant token, which had been on the table for most of the only game we played and got me down to 2 before I gained life out of the problem.

Yawgmoth posted:

This is another reason pen & paper is great for life totals. "oh really, we're on game three? then why do I only have life totals for a game 1 and this current game? curious, that!"

I had pen and paper, but don't normally track which game it is because most people aren't idiots about it. The dude wasn't tracking life at all. Eventually I had a look and thought about the last game from my previous match where I got killed by a colonnade, pointing out the 12-8-4 of my life total.
"Yeah see, I killed you with colonnade"
"You're on mono blue"

He eventually just said I could have it like I was lying. Rattled me up, but the guys I played after are pretty sound so it got my spirits up and I still had a good day. This was at the club in the next town over so I didn't know this guy. Apparently he had 2 counterspell (yeah, the UU one) in his main at the start of the day, and according to one of the organisers he'd been banned a few years ago from a store in their city for general behaviour and cheating but they didn't know he was coming today.

Good weekend for tokens in general, went 4-0 at fnm, and 3-1 then lost in top 4 today.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Won a 49 minute game one today and went to turns in the second. The judge came by to ask for our score and my opponent was adamant it was game 3 and we were 1-1, fully arguing it. I don't think I've ever gotten so heated when playing.

edit: he was on mono blue and taking his time the whole g1

How did they resolve this? Because that's some lovely poo poo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Walked posted:

How did they resolve this? Because that's some lovely poo poo

I asked the judge to hold up on a ruling and for the guy to describe things from game one (see post above) before he eventually said "gently caress it, give it to him" , though french so probably less vulgar.

It was probably a mistake trying to blitz through sideboarding to get G2 started when we had like 1 minute left, neither of us had decks that would get a kill in extra turns.

edit: The judge was apologetic but said unless I could prove it was only the one game we played it would be a draw, that's when I started asking the guy loads of questions.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 9, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
That's hosed up and the exact sort of dishonorable poo poo that should get you tossed+banned from playing.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

axeil posted:

That's hosed up and the exact sort of dishonorable poo poo that should get you tossed+banned from playing.

lying to a judge during an investigation is pretty much an instant DQ, not sure what the hell the judge was doing there unless it was some FNM-level tournament.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lone Goat posted:

lying to a judge during an investigation is pretty much an instant DQ, not sure what the hell the judge was doing there unless it was some FNM-level tournament.

Some judges are shy about investigations and DQs. I deck checked a guy playing legacy MUD and he had an unsleeved Steel Hellkite not listed in his 75 just chilling in his deck box. I was a fresh L2 at the time (this was before the level squish too) so I kicked it up the chain. guy didn’t even get D/DLP.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

Ultimately I didn't have definitive proof that it was only one game is the problem. The judge started asking about having a better look at my little life notebook to try and correlate with my previous opponent, and I started asking the guy about the match so he said gently caress it as he didn't want to bother with it going any further. I can't say if he was trying to cheat or not, honestly, and the judge can't take previous history into account.

Thankfully he let it go, if the judge gave a draw I probably would've eaten a solid warning for swearing in english as a draw would've knocked us both out of any chance of prizing/making the cut on a bullshit play.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

DangerDongs posted:

I made top 8 of my 1k Pioneer with Sultai D. We split the pot, and that deck is gas.

Turns out you don't need to sideboard for Burn due to Uro.

It's basically a bye for my opponents this weekend yes. :( Currently 9-3 at GP Phoenix!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I've definitely brain farted and congratulated my opponent on winning the match after an arduous game one but fortunately wasn't playing against literal garbage. That is some insane level of bullshit to even contemplate pulling.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

ilmucche posted:

and the judge can't take previous history into account.

This is untrue. Judges can and do take past behavior into account when making rulings involving player behavior.

Also, it shouldn't have been your job to prove he was lying. The judge should've talked to each of you away from the other and figured out what game you were on.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
It's almost as if low-level judges are poorly-trained unpaid volunteers who receive barely any structural support and are basically left to come up with their own methods to resolve problems more or less on the spot, leading two of the same judge call in two different places often having wildly different outcomes.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mr. Locke posted:

It's almost as if low-level judges are poorly-trained unpaid volunteers who receive barely any structural support and are basically left to come up with their own methods to resolve problems more or less on the spot, leading two of the same judge call in two different places often having wildly different outcomes.

To be fair to the judge, he wanted to start a proper discussion and find my previous opponent to compare my scratchings of numbers to his but the current opponent said gently caress it give him the win so he let it go. I don't think the judge wanted to push it further to keep the tournament moving as we were the last game.

The judge is a good dude and I think he was judging one of the mkm tourneys earlier this weekend. We had a talk afterward about how to avoid ending up in the same situation when I'm recording life totals which was basically write down what game I'm on and what results are so I know where one match ends and the next begins instead of filling my pad up with shitloads of columns.

It'll bug me for today, but I know for next time and still had a good time playing with cardboard. Going to focus on that I went 7-2 this weekend in total and won a few cards I'll use in the future :)

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 9, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mr. Locke posted:

Actually, I think you'll find that judges are reverse-paid these days.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

ilmucche posted:

though french so probably less vulgar.

Less vulgar in French!? ;)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

love the sultai deck jacob wilson played in the top8 of the pt thing

satyr wayfinder, ishkanah, murderous rider, vryn's prodigy, tracker, courser, f'ing emrakul, and traverse to tie it all together :swoon:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rinkles posted:

love the sultai deck jacob wilson played in the top8 of the pt thing

satyr wayfinder, ishkanah, murderous rider, vryn's prodigy, tracker, courser, f'ing emrakul, and traverse to tie it all together :swoon:

This won the PT in Brussels last week! It's what I want to play next just because I played way too much mono red this week.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Why do people call that deck Sultai Delirium? I’m not getting where that word comes from.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cause it's a sultai colored deck with a heavy delirium/graveyard theme?

e:delirium was an ability word in shadows over innistrad, if that's what you were missing

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

cause it's a sultai colored deck with a heavy delirium/graveyard theme?

e:delirium was an ability word in shadows over innistrad, if that's what you were missing

Thanks yes, I’ve never played a Khans or Innistrad block

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Why do people call that deck Sultai Delirium? I’m not getting where that word comes from.

Traverse the Ulvenwald and Ishkanah have that keyword and Emrakul plays into that mechanic (caring about types in graveyard). All of those were parts of the quite good GB Delirium archetype back in Standard, but other Delirium cards (Grim Flayer, Gnarlwood Dryad) made way for just good pioneer legal BUG cards, including those that care about graveyard in general (ie Uro, JVP)

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 10, 2020

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I asked the judge to hold up on a ruling and for the guy to describe things from game one (see post above) before he eventually said "gently caress it, give it to him" , though french so probably less vulgar.

It was probably a mistake trying to blitz through sideboarding to get G2 started when we had like 1 minute left, neither of us had decks that would get a kill in extra turns.

edit: The judge was apologetic but said unless I could prove it was only the one game we played it would be a draw, that's when I started asking the guy loads of questions.

Him being French makes this story a lot more funny imo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/channelfireball/status/1226697717448986625?s=21

It really gives me life that in light of all these people squawking endlessly about the Dimir Inverter or Lotus Breach that people are just sleeving up some honest magic cards and beating people to death

Also shout outs to my mans Huey

https://twitter.com/top8games/status/1226884458718154753?s=21

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 10, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That deck is about as focused as it's possible to be on 'kill you on turn 4 with two large guys'

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Top 8 archetypes were:

2x U/B Inverter
G/B Stompy
U/G Eldrazi
U/W Control
Bant Spirits
Mono-Red Aggro
Lotus Breach

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Its astounding how many pioneer decks are made up of cards printed almost entirely in the last 3 years.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Paul Zuvella posted:

Its astounding how many pioneer decks are made up of cards printed almost entirely in the last 3 years.

mtg design 2012-2016 was a bunch of underpowered horseshit and a few completely broken cards, the latter of which are mostly banned in pioneer

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The further they power/banlist Pioneer into mostly post-Arena sets, the less work they have to do to effectively bring Pioneer to Arena.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

It seems like they're done with historic. No new antholgy sets after that first one.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

mtg design 2012-2016 was a bunch of underpowered horseshit and a few completely broken cards, the latter of which are mostly banned in pioneer
Standard was defined by powerful midrange threats during that period, and those cards are all way worse in a combo dominated eternal format (with no fetchlands).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cheen posted:

It seems like they're done with historic. No new antholgy sets after that first one.

They had Historic Anthology 2 on the last release calendar I saw, halfway through this set like last time. Did they announce something this weekend I missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Huxley posted:

They had Historic Anthology 2 on the last release calendar I saw, halfway through this set like last time. Did they announce something this weekend I missed?

Nope, I was going off a lack of news. Can you link me to the calendar, please?