Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it pretty much is but also if you play on the hardest difficulty it turns off the big glowing popups for attacks and you have to react to the enemy's animations themselves which is much better imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No. The game has prompts, yes, but in fights with several varied enemies you will get interrupted and beef it if you play that way. You have to know which enemy to prioritize, and how.

It's absolutely fine to not like the combat but you don't have to make things up or exaggerate to absurd levels to justify why it's the game's fault.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you can just somersault over enemies literally for an infinite amount of time if any point you feel overwhelmed

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

you can just somersault over enemies literally for an infinite amount of time if any point you feel overwhelmed

That's not "just push button when you see prompt".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also some enemies are immune to it. You will also lose your combo if you do it more than two(?) times in a row without hitting anyone.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Why must we fight when we can write letters to our animal neighbors

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I feel like the Jedi game should have gone with a combat system like Arkham instead of Souls. Having to lightsaber a goat 5 times to kill it is stupid but bouncing back and forth between space bad guys and ripping them up and doing lots of flips (Force Flips) would have been much more fun.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Songbearer posted:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Songbearer posted:

Still a little over a month to wait.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

i like monster hunter combat

This is why I'm still stuck playing only Iceborne

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Andrast posted:

I wish people would stop calling any combat system with a timing element rhythm games

Okay but idea: an action game that is a rhythm game, where attacks are timed on the downbeats or whatever

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

Also some enemies are immune to it. You will also lose your combo if you do it more than two(?) times in a row without hitting anyone.

emphatically not true so long as you're jumping over people

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cowcaster posted:

If you jump over the guys with electric sticks you get zapped.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Oh right I misremembed that jumping over people's heads bit

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It is loving pouring in Sydney at the moment. Which means I got to take care of both my cat, Glitch, and my Mum's dog, Simba.

Thinkin bout those beans

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

If you jump over the guys with electric sticks you get zapped.

yeah don't jump over them

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Okay but idea: an action game that is a rhythm game, where attacks are timed on the downbeats or whatever

I'm in

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqd6epIWo6E

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Every time someone mentions Capra Demon I can't help but think of the film director of the same name, it's such a unique name

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

I'm just saying, he's like... objectively wrong. Arkham combat isn't "press button when you see prompt" especially not when there's a big crowd.

IDK man it kinda is

precision posted:

No. The game has prompts, yes, but in fights with several varied enemies you will get interrupted and beef it if you play that way. You have to know which enemy to prioritize, and how.

It's absolutely fine to not like the combat but you don't have to make things up or exaggerate to absurd levels to justify why it's the game's fault.

This is some serious :goonsay:

You don't "have" to know which enemy to prioritize. It helps, yeah, better but.... IDK man you need to accept that other people don't find it as engaging as you, and stop throwing around "objectively wrong".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

Brutal Legend but not bad would be really cool

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

IDK man it kinda is

Yeah in the same way that platformer gameplay is just "press button to jump over obstacle"

It's pointless to describe the game that way since it ignores everything about how the gameplay actually works.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not saying they're wrong for disliking it, I'm saying they're saying things that are, in actual fact, literally incorrect.

I'm not even a big stan for the Arkham games, I think they're just "pretty good" at best and two of them are mediocre or bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dark Souls is just "hit enemy with stick"

Death Stranding is just "press trigger when prompted"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh cool I have a bug in subnautica where I cant sprint underwater but can on dry land. Well thats that

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
every single video game is just an overly complex word problem with a dumb calculator

e. character action game where you need both a standard DDR pad and a standard GH guitar controller to play

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

arkham combat isnt complex but it can be fun at times

the problem is they overdo it in every game. too much combat all the time vs a billion enemies. should've been more gargoyling, and more investigating. actually a lot more investigating

honestly the combat to non-combat ratio should've been paced like an episode of the batman cartoon and more focused on the "terror in the shadows" stealth rather than "50 people surround batman and most of them stand around waiting"... like... it's not justice league or the avengers. if it was green lantern i would maybe get it because green lantern's powers are the definition of crowd control... but it's batman

they get all the batman TAS voices to do the characters but the games have none of the traits of the cartoon

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 9, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wonderfest is on, which means a bunch a fuckin nerdy goddamn poo poo gets released.

Like Pearl and Marina figmas

The least erotic Bayonetta

11!

The Traveller has come!

Thinkin bout dat Ammy :3:

Fake Okami!

Also a bunch of dumb anime poo poo as well

Alphonese :swoon:

Link if you're a heckin nerd that wants to check them all out

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 9, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Goddamn that Sekiro looks good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Lego games were fun (if infuriatingly basic and repetitive) until they tried to overreach and started making them 'open world'. They looked really ugly and played terribly when they didn't just have small environments made out of mostly Lego. They were basically just big empty maps that you walked through to get to the next level.

I think the LOTR one was the first. How did anyone think this was a good look for a Lego game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2siJCmLmPw

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Every time someone mentions Capra Demon I can't help but think of the film director of the same name, it's such a unique name

I can only ever think about the cheese strat where you kill him by hurling firebombs over the fog gate.

Infinitum posted:

Wonderfest is on, which means a bunch a fuckin nerdy goddamn poo poo gets released.
Link if you're a heckin nerd that wants to check them all out

Oh hey it's this dude

And also Batou

Also, what the

Looked up the title and it's some anime about trains transforming into fighting mechs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goddamn I want that Journey figure so bad

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A couple of notes:

1. A few misspellings, whatever
2. Maybe one of the guns from smash bros would be more fitting, and also less horrifying

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

FirstAidKite posted:

up the title and it's some anime about trains transforming into fighting mechs

i have never wanted anything more than a train mech show holy cow

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

A couple of notes:

2. Maybe one of the guns from smash bros would be more fitting, and also less horrifying

Forum poster Jay Rust: DON'T REWD ISABELLE
The Internet:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

A couple of notes:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How is there not a Sans Nendoroid yet

He has like the perfect proportions for it too

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

al-azad posted:

Anyone who says Batman’s combat is boring I can only imagine them spamming attack over and over.

The Arkham games and Kamiya’s games actually share a lot

Stopped right here. If you had said God of war, I'd agree, but batman is 3 buttons, attack, dodge and crouch(plus the gadget short cuts). Acting like that touches the granular mechanics of even something like kora is baffling. And you make it sound like PGs enemies aren't also designed with different approaches in mind.

also the bouncer was the better kingdom hearts

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 9, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Stopped right here. If you had said God of war, I'd agree, but batman is 3 buttons, attack, dodge and crouch(plus the gadget short cuts). Acting like that touches the granular mechanics of even something like kora is baffling. And you make it sound like PGs enemies aren't also designed with different approaches in mind.

also the bouncer was the better kingdom hearts

Korra has way worse combat than Batman

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah Batman has combos at least, and a lot of the gadgets mix the combat up. A lot of the fun is in racking up huge combos.

It's no where near as in depth as a good Platinum game but it's a lot less simple than people suggest.