Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol i'll believe it when i see it

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/1226415003156144128?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Total Meatlove posted:

Who’s picking on ferry companies in this weather? loving idiots. Everyone on the island knows that winter exists and is why their house cost £70k less than the mainland.

Wightlink tried to carry on, but about midday just suspended everything and of course people are still mad at them for not sailing in the storm. For the record, the whole of Portsmouth seafront has been closed to traffic due to the weather as well, while Red Funnel didn't even bother trying to sail today

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Azza Bamboo posted:

No matter what the outcome, I'm quitting the party after the vote. My reasoning?

My membership fee costs somewhere in the order of playing the lottery each week. Over the next five years, I feel this has a better chance of changing my circumstances. Given the charitable work they do, the circumstances of others too.

I'm quitting too after the votes are in. Absolutely sick of them and trying to stick up for them when they don't help themselves.
This does NOT mean that I'm not going to vote Labour or support Labour but knowing the press are against the party as a whole, they STILL do this poo poo.

Just the latest:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/keir-starmer-labour-leadership-data-hack-party-membership-database-a9325441.html

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/mps-could-desert-labour-if-rebecca-long-bailey-wins-leadership_uk_5e3ae5bbc5b6b5fb438b4073

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

HopperUK posted:

Turned proper wild here in Herts. Rain so thick it looks like fog. Our bins haven't even blown over though.

We’ve had a couple of planks come off our gate and shed door but I’m really surprised none of the bins on the road have blown away.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"The frontbench will continue to fail to reflect members if RLB wins a vote by members."

That sounds like a failure on the part of the front bench then Coyle you dope.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The other candidates are dismal I really hope she wins. Not sure why ignoring everything else about starmer people think he's a good option when brexit got the party ruined at the election

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You didn't heed my warnings and you still came into Lidl and now the storm is apocalyptic

You should all be ashamed

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jose posted:

The other candidates are dismal I really hope she wins. Not sure why ignoring everything else about starmer people think he's a good option when brexit got the party ruined at the election

Why are the melts so convinced by young, white, cis-male, right-adjacent Starmer? It truly is a mystery.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I again want to stress that the bulk of starmer's support came from the side of my CLP that was all old fat white men who look and sound exactly like tories.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I mean the members

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

TBF, the numbers do show that Labour's performance was far more closely related with that of the Lib Dems than with any other party (with a Lib Dem protest vote causing them serious damage in the local elections that they had a difficult time recovering from), so there is an argument that his push for a more Remainy stance considerably softened the blow by helping them claw back Lib Dem votes at the last minute.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 9, 2020

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

God I hope the weather is less miserable tomorrow so I actually go to my CLP nomination meeting. I want to glare with my own eyes at the gobby boomer from our Facebook discussion group who keeps railing about how RLB is unelectable, the doom of the party, only extremely electable Starmer can save us, etc. He's so annoying.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

quote:

One MP said she “would definitely go” and a “conservative estimate” of the number of MPs that would follow was between 30 and 50.
oh, doyfoynoytloy, babs, and let no-one tell you otherwise

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just been out for a run. Felt awesome running with the wind, less so when I started the run home and it was suddenly like pushing through water. Also I am wet.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

all the candidates are total shite is the issue

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

TBF, the numbers do show that Labour's performance was far more closely related with that of the Lib Dems than with any other party (with a Lib Dem protest vote causing them serious damage in the local elections that they had a difficult time recovering from), so there is an argument that his push for a more Remainy stance considerably softened the blow by helping them claw back Lib Dem votes at the last minute.

You could also argue that all the brexit voters going tory might have been a problem too...

Communist Thoughts posted:

all the candidates are total shite is the issue

You would have been very happy with RLB if she's run instead of corbyn in 2016. There are absolutely large gulfs of credibility between them and RLB is ahead by a mile.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if we'll ever find out what convinced BXP to only run as wreckers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Reporting from north London

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/SamLee/status/1226464692769566720

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You could also argue that all the brexit voters going tory might have been a problem too...

You would have been very happy with RLB if she's run instead of corbyn in 2016. There are absolutely large gulfs of credibility between them and RLB is ahead by a mile.

I mean, the BXP was only ever managed opposition. I'm not sure what Labour could have done to grab those voters, and there's no obvious signs in that chart of Labour defections to Leave parties. Their call for a second referendum in January, for instance, caused a dip in their polling numbers that they quickly recovered from, and nobody else's numbers moved.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Jose posted:

I mean the members

After being to a CLP nomination meeting, I can attest that the starmerite supporters in the membership are the same.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gln7T-xxE4k

the wind is blowing so hard it's wobbling the wings all over the place, looks dodgy as hell

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of the BXP vote came from labour to begin with, and it's perhaps worth considering that labour was not campaigning on a second referendum 2017 at a point where the tories were much weaker on brexit, and did much better.

That is not to say a pro brexit stance would have gone better, necessarily, but I think it's wrong to suggest that a pro remain stance won labour voters because I think it ignores where a lot of the labour support went beforehand.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Miner's Bridge at Betwys-y-Coed has been washed away.
Llanrwst is flooded out.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
We aren't getting the crazy rain down here just the nuts wind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's still pretty calm here tbh, can barely hear the wind.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah sure, it's not 2016 now tho, it's a very different time. In 2016 we were all super hype for this jam guy who was gonna win it for us and there was some glimmer of a hopeful future on the horizon.

She doesn't seem even as convincing as Corbyn and he just got savagely disembowelled.

I will probably vote for her to prevent the rollback of all the momentum stuff but I don't see any path to victory for her (or the others really)

e: i'd also say that kier is clearly the most "credible" candidate, which is why he's the front runner. whether thats just due to sexism or what, but he has actually been in the news doing stuff (whether that stuff hosed us or not...) whereas i'd only heard of RLB before this contest as the third most viable hypothetical corbyn successor.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 9, 2020

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Have any of you lot used a third party site like Mobile Phone Direct to get a phone contract? Supposedly I can save like £200 over 2 years if I get a contract through them and claim the cashback every 6 months but that seems....suspicious.

In storm news, Bristol isn't too bad (although I'm not looking forward to my cycle to work tomorrow) but sounds like my parents place on the coast near Glasgow is getting absolutely battered.

If you have any issues with the phone itself, you have to deal with them, who will likely try and point you to the manufacturer themselves, so you're in for a fight.

If you have any issues with the service, or need to change anything, you're likely to be dealing with a partner rather than the network themselves, so you probably can't just nip into your local store for help.

It can still be worth it, just be aware your options for customer service support are limited.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've said it before but you could elect the T1000 wearing the skin of lenin and it wouldn't look good for labour right now. What's going to win it for labour in the future is the continued loving over of everyone by the tories and their complete mishandling of brexit, brexit saved the fuckers this time but they can't keep relying on it. There's four and some years between now and the next election, that's a lot of time for them to start loving up, and once she gets the leadership there's gonna be a lot of conflict to sort out internally. It's entirely possible that the wreckers will be at it again and this time I don't think the membership will be as forgiving. With the open selections thing she's shown that she's mindful of that too, so we might be looking at open civil war in labour.

Which, sure, might be bad, but you'll get your purge if that happens, at least.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Bardeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gln7T-xxE4k

the wind is blowing so hard it's wobbling the wings all over the place, looks dodgy as hell

When I was a kid I always wondered who all those sad anoraks were just watching the planes land all day. Now I know they're streamers with 23k concurrent viewers

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

When I was a kid I always wondered who all those sad anoraks were just watching the planes land all day. Now I know they're streamers with 23k concurrent viewers

this is legit exciting, the huge planes are getting buffeted around so much they won't land and keep giving up at the last moment

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There was a fox a minute ago.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Reporting from north London

CARNAGE!!! Where are you God?!?!?! :cripes:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/DaveOGrady1/status/1226499307311976448

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah sure, it's not 2016 now tho, it's a very different time. In 2016 we were all super hype for this jam guy who was gonna win it for us and there was some glimmer of a hopeful future on the horizon.

She doesn't seem even as convincing as Corbyn and he just got savagely disembowelled.

I will probably vote for her to prevent the rollback of all the momentum stuff but I don't see any path to victory for her (or the others really)

e: i'd also say that kier is clearly the most "credible" candidate, which is why he's the front runner. whether thats just due to sexism or what, but he has actually been in the news doing stuff (whether that stuff hosed us or not...) whereas i'd only heard of RLB before this contest as the third most viable hypothetical corbyn successor.

The Tories need to gently caress up, but they also will gently caress up. They set the whole country on fire to murder the Labour party and still they needed a do-over after two years to make it stick. And for all the guff about evil Russian internet magic it only really seems to work on lead brains, already rotten from watching TV and reading the papers. There is hope that it will work even worse the next time. I mean I absolutely get the frustration, but you over the channel are the closest to having a viable left wing party basically anywhere on the continent so dig in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you don't have much hope, vote instead with spite, vote to loving spit in the eye of the bastards who cost us 2017, if it weren't for the likes of nandy and starmer we might be in year 2 of a corbyn government right about now. So think about that, get real heckin mad, and vote with hate in your heart.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Two bins have fallen over in my street. Post Children of Men gifs/.jpgs/.png because thats my life now.

Also, good to see the British army is as respectable as ever:

Soldier lay dead in barracks for three weeks but 'Army won't tell how he died'

quote:

A soldier lay dead in an Army camp for three weeks before he was found late last month.

Bernard Mongan’s superiors failed to spot he was not on duty. His widow told a friend: “It’s outrageous no one went to check on him.”

His widow Beth blasted the Army over the mysterious death of her soldier husband whose body lay undiscovered in a military base.

Lance Corporal Bernard Mongan, 33, was found on January 23 in his bedroom in a barracks accommodation block.

The Army has refused to comment on the circumstances of his death. But police have told his widow they believe he died around New Year after investigating his phone records.

He'll have been murdered of "natural causes" or "suicide".

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

In stormy Britain, you don't score a goal, the goal scores you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

CARNAGE!!! Where are you God?!?!?! :cripes:
A solitary orange rolls down the street.

OwlFancier posted:

If you don't have much hope, vote instead with spite, vote to loving spit in the eye of the bastards who cost us 2017, if it weren't for the likes of nandy and starmer we might be in year 2 of a corbyn government right about now. So think about that, get real heckin mad, and vote with hate in your heart.
__________/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

But redefines 'mansion' as a house or collections of houses that total greater than X area squared*.

Meaning terraced houses, tower flats, are now considered mansions.

*To be defined as just above Jacob Rees Mogg's mansion measurement so can dodge it.