Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Charles posted:

Yeah I was kinda curious of the usability of the airframe after that. They probably didn't hit do not exceed speed though?

That plane exceeded Vne at some point, it’s a required part of the test program.

There’s a difference between “the wings will fall off”, “the life of the airframe will be severely reduced if you do this” and “it’s fine”. The test flight program is to find the line between the latter 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There's Vne, then there's Veo, Vee exceed once.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Re: airframe limits

I remember reading in Bob Hoover's book about once occasion where he was flying an airshow demonstration in the F-5 (I think. Could have been a T-38). The airframe was limited to 7.33g in service, but Bob decided it'd be a lot cooler if he could pull 9g. He went to the folks at Northrop and they basically said "Yeah we'll let you pull 9g in this case you'll be fine."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ola posted:

There's Vne, then there's Veo, Vee exceed once.

Speaking of that - I don't think anyone's posted this yet: https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-true-fastest-speed-ever-reached-by-a-lockheed-blackbird/

Someone copping to M3.433.56 is new, even though Brian Shul's Libya story seems to suggest they probably got close to or surpassed M3.5.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 7, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Speaking of that - I don't think anyone's posted this yet: https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-true-fastest-speed-ever-reached-by-a-lockheed-blackbird/

Someone copping to M3.43 is new, even though Brian Shul's Libya story seems to suggest they probably got close to or surpassed M3.5.

3.56, wow. Those engines definitely could do more than was good for them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Charles posted:

Yeah I was kinda curious of the usability of the airframe after that. They probably didn't hit do not exceed speed though?

If you hit Vne and nothing falls off, the airplane's probably fine to continue flying after a thorough inspection.

The bigger concern is a potential over-G when they pull out of the dive at high speed -- that sort of thing can permanently deform the airframe and there's no real way to fix that.

If the video were sharper, you could work out the exact G-forces from the airspeed, attitude and time and see how they stack up to the stated limits.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Any non-aerobatic plane pointed roughly straight down is in immediate danger.

The airspeed buildup rate is eye-opening, and can quickly force you into the right side of the V-G diagram and into a forced choice between overspeeding and over-G'ing - or both. And, likely, an asymmetrical over-G which is even worse.

Especially given that you'll likely be doing this for the first time in your life.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Do note that he takes his time with the recovery, presumably to not over g. Or actually, maybe to keep AoA lower to prevent a secondary (deep) stall which might be a greater risk in a DC-9 come to think of it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

3.56, wow. Those engines definitely could do more than was good for them.

So good I kinda wonder if the instrument’s calibration was by a touch.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

hobbesmaster posted:

Do note that he takes his time with the recovery, presumably to not over g. Or actually, maybe to keep AoA lower to prevent a secondary (deep) stall which might be a greater risk in a DC-9 come to think of it.

I'd imagine over G is much more likely to cause wings fall off than overspeed.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah, but overspeeding may cause loss of control authority which then leads to hitting the ground like a dart.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Carth Dookie posted:

Yeah, but overspeeding may cause loss of control authority which then leads to hitting the ground like a dart.

You mean like this?

:dadjoke:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I love that the pilot flew that airplane again.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Causality did an episode on the 737 MAX Lion Air flight.

https://engineered.network/causality/episode-33-737-max/

quote:

With two crashes in five months of the new 737 4th Generation a design flaw seemed likely. We look at how Boeings focus on cost-avoidance, grandfathering and bending probabilities during design would ultimately cost 338 people their lives.

some stuff in there I didn't know about, super detailed explanation about engineering standards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FBS posted:

You mean like this?

:dadjoke:

That reminds me.

Dan Bass passed out at altitude due to a carbon monoxide leak. Autopilot happened to be on a setting that brought him down on a reasonably gentle descent after fuel exhaustion.

He crashed in a snowy field. Once he’d been in the fresh air long enough, he regained consciousness and walked away from the crash.

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/online-learning/real-pilot-stories/dan-bass-accident-photos

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

wolrah posted:

I mean, wasn't the 737 Max thing seriously aggravated by the AoA disagreement indicator being optional which would have been a pretty solid pointer in the direction of what was going wrong?

That indicator has to be a lot cheaper than waterproofing electronics, yet here we are.

Hahaha, people who think this are the absolute bane of my life, you monster :argh:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

That reminds me.

Dan Bass passed out at altitude ...

Holy moly. He needs a "Jesus is my co-pilot, for reals" bumper sticker or something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He really had all the luck.

Imagine if he had loaded up more fuel.

As it was he nearly froze to death, but he only had to stumble a quarter mile to a house where someone was home.

She happened to be a nurse.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Ferret King posted:

Correct. Above certain airspeeds, the forces acting on the airframe can become so great that they cause structural damage. Maneuvering creates additional forces, so there are safe speeds for that too.

This is even a deal with rockets. The shuttle would throttle down during “max-q” to reduce stress, and throttle back up as it got through to thinner air.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

there's no real way to fix that.
Do it again inverted

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Russians are Russians. 3 years ago a Russian helicopter crashed while approaching Pyramiden on Svalbard, an old Soviet mining colony in the high Arctic. Visibility was way below VFR minimums, but Russians are Russians so they simply continued. They lost visual references and hit the water, but with almost zero speed so all 8 survived and evacuated no problem. But Russians are Russians, they had no flotation devices or immersion suits. This is at 78 degrees north. So they all died pretty fast in the water. It's almost amazing that there are so many Russians when they have such an intense death wish.

Report in English available here, probable cause should just be "the accident was caused by Russians being Russian".

https://www.aibn.no/Luftfart/Avgitte-rapporter/2020-04

By the way, Pyramiden is an amazing place and you should go there if you get the chance. But obviously don't fly there, or anywhere, on a Russian helicopter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_jYGVHRkuQ

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Svalbard also has my favorite town name ever, Longyearbyen.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Pyramiden is a pretty cool place yeah. I was there about 10 years ago. Its possible a Russian guy I met there was the guide from your video. He took care of the place, but I'm pretty sure he also planted effects like old dolls and other "abandoned" belongings to increase tourist interest.

There also was an old VW Passat there which was weird considering there was no real roads. It could be one of the most northern cars ever( Its a little bit farther north than the Top Gear Polar Special finish point)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It's windy as gently caress on the east coast today. I hit a new personal record minimum ground speed of 2 kts at 19,000 ft. We could have hit zero by being some irresponsible chucklefucks but that was as close as the pilots wanted to get to stall speed.

Also a personal record low altimeter setting, it was 29.30 when we took off. I had to listen to ATIS twice to make sure I heard it right.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nothing we didn't already expect, but the NTSB has confirmed there was nothing wrong with Kobe's helicopter

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/07/803924851/ntsb-kobe-bryant-helicopter-engine-did-not-fail-before-crash

quote:

Federal investigators say the helicopter that crashed in Southern California last month killing NBA basketball star Kobe Bryant, his daughter and seven other people did not have an engine failure. The investigative update from the National Transportation Safety Board has not determined the cause of the crash. But it did give several new details.

The key finding of the preliminary report is the Sikorsky S-76's rotors were both powered and turning at impact in the hilly terrain near Calabasas, Calif. "Viewable sections of the engines showed no evidence of an uncontained or catastrophic internal failure."

The NTSB also confirmed for the first time the helicopter company, Island Express Helicopters, was only permitted to fly under visual flight rules, known as VFR. The highly experienced instructor pilot was allowed to fly in the clouds using instrument guidance but was prevented from doing so because of his company's limitation.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's windy as gently caress on the east coast today. I hit a new personal record minimum ground speed of 2 kts at 19,000 ft. We could have hit zero by being some irresponsible chucklefucks but that was as close as the pilots wanted to get to stall speed.

Also a personal record low altimeter setting, it was 29.30 when we took off. I had to listen to ATIS twice to make sure I heard it right.

Is 29.30 a low altimeter setting in general or just locally? I wanna say when I took instruction we had it set to 28.XX a few days

E: flying in midwest

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 8, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Is 29.30 a low altimeter setting in general or just locally? I wanna say when I took instruction we had it set to 28.XX a few days

980ish hPa (28.9inHg) is a solid cat1 hurricane pressure at sea level.

I’m guessing you weren’t anywhere near sea level.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 8, 2020

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

hobbesmaster posted:

980ish hPa (28.9inHg) is a solid cat1 hurricane pressure at sea level.

I’m guessing you weren’t anywhere near sea level.

Doesn't matter, altimeter settings are referenced to sea level. DEN on a standard day is 29.92 same as JFK.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I dunno, maybe I just luck out with the weather but it seems like most of the time it's 29.80 and up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Down to ~29.78 or so is pretty normal. 29.00-29.77 is "wow, weather is lovely today." 28.00-28.99 is "Hey look at that tractor trailer that just flew by."

Lowest I've ever seen is 28.25 or so, just before the station went offline during Irma.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
I've seen 28.90-something and 30.87 just in Teterboro in the past six months. Winter weather patterns ahoy.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sweet christ, in looking for the lowest recorded pressure I came across 25.69. Recorded by a reconnaissance flight in Typhoon Tip (1979).

Wiki specified “lowest/non-tornadic”, which honestly scares me a little bit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_pressure#Records

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Found on the Instagram page CombatLearjet:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Tyrg8FlHE/?igshid=f4hlwbew0rr

I’m not a pilot, but I assume it’s easier to land your plane if the wheels don’t try to go back airborne once you touch down :stare:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m not a pilot, but I assume it’s easier to land your plane if the wheels don’t try to go back airborne once you touch down :stare:

Step 1 is not dragging your rear end in and whacking a berm before over the landing strip.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Icon Of Sin posted:

Alaska: Where Your Airstrips Resemble Minigolf Motocross Courses

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MrYenko posted:

Down to ~29.78 or so is pretty normal. 29.00-29.77 is "wow, weather is lovely today." 28.00-28.99 is "Hey look at that tractor trailer that just flew by."

Lowest I've ever seen is 28.25 or so, just before the station went offline during Irma.

Depends on where you are, really. Here in the leeside of the Rockies, it's not unheard of during the winter to see down into the 28s when a strong lee-side low develops during a strong westerly flow.

And also being in the frozen shithole of Canada, where Arctic air can rule for weeks at a time in the winter, it's not uncommon to see up into the 31s either.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Biz jet bush pilot :cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSqGA37zrgA

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Instagram post 8s gone what was it? And what is that unusual plane on its belly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-51433720

(as usual, press are idiots and got the wrong type for the photos)