Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Guavanaut posted:

Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business; the Prince Consort, who is dead, a German professor, who has gone mad, and someone who probably posts ITT.

It's cows all the way down OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business; the Prince Consort, who is dead, a German professor, who has gone mad, and someone who probably posts ITT.
It's me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's System Metternich and he's preparing a 100,000-word post/thesis on the subject as we speak

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

What is Schleswig-Holstein? We just don't know

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

It's really nice of you to leave Lothringen out of it. :france:

Only because I didn't remember its german name.

I'd probably do better than most Americans, but I'd also end up mostly drawing wildly out of date and overly simplified maps because everything I know about germany's internal divisions comes from paradox games and lps.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I wonder if anyone's ever tried to contest Germany's Protestant status.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Phlegmish posted:

It's System Metternich and he's preparing a 100,000-word post/thesis on the subject as we speak

I once dated a girl from Schleswig-Holstein which makes me basically an expert, don’t tempt me

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

System Metternich posted:

I once dated a girl from Schleswig-Holstein which makes me basically an expert, don’t tempt me

The username/post combo game would be intense, though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Anglicanism is Catholic but not Roman.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Orange Devil posted:

Protestantism is not about popes and poo poo, it's an attitude towards spendthrifts.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I like how there's Eastern Orthodoxy and Oriental Orthodoxy. Not, like, North and South, no, Eastern and Oriental.

I also like how Saudi Arabia is Catholic. I'm pretty sure you get automatically sentenced to death if you're both Arab and Christian in that country.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I think the Catholics in Saudi Arabia are primarily Filipinos working in the country (over a million according to a quick internet search).

But yeah, no being a Saudi who wants to convert to Christianity or anything else accept from the state's approved version of Islam, because that is legally punishable by death.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

I like how there's Eastern Orthodoxy and Oriental Orthodoxy. Not, like, North and South, no, Eastern and Oriental.

Mostly cause the Oriental Orthodox church broke off first - it was the Nestorians, mostly, who split off largely because they were the Christians in Persia and further east who didn't want to be seen as loyal to the Empire.

Then the Empire itself split in half and partially collapsed, and the garbled mess followed by a bunch of barely literate inbred dirtbags started calling the true faith "East".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

India actually surprises me.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

India actually surprises me.

M-maybe it's a Mother Theresa effect?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most Indian Christians are Goan.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Pretty sure that question was decisively settled in 1866.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

I also like how Saudi Arabia is Catholic. I'm pretty sure you get automatically sentenced to death if you're both Arab and Christian in that country.

Sounds Catholic.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

There’s also a ton of Catholics in southern India (mostly Kerala), and I’ve heard that Catholicism is growing like crazy in Assam. Compared to the total population the combined Christian faiths are still very much in the minority, though

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's a weird orthodoxy orb around Qatar.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Guavanaut posted:

What about Kerala and the North-eastern states?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Okay, most Indian Christians are Christian because of Portuguese influence in India, including the Portuguese settlements of Goa and Calicut, rather than because of British influence, which is why it's colored as yellow rather than blue. Even though there are Anglican dioceses throughout India they didn't seem to really bother compared to Portugal.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Switzerland, famously a uniform Protestant country.

Also what’s up with Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox being different? Aren’t they both literally synonyms, and also technically still part of the same church? I’m pretty sure the Copts can still take communion in Ethiopia and Moscow.

Greece and Turkey being different colors makes no sense either. The Eastern Orthodox patriarchate is in Istanbul. Map needs a lot more "mixed color" notes and a "NA/irrelevant" coloration.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 10, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm pretty sure they all got kicked out over one of the ecumenical councils over an argument about the nature of christ.

Recently the Russian Patriarchate broke communion with the rest of Greek Orthodox over them allowing Ukraine to be autonomous from Moscow, so there's even more of a split. Then again, all of protestantism is just a series of totally disunited sects with no commonalities beyond having broken away from catholicism at some point in the past, so all of those blue spots should be patchwork.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Saladman posted:

Switzerland, famously a uniform Protestant country.

Also what’s up with Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox being different? Aren’t they both literally synonyms, and also technically still part of the same church? I’m pretty sure the Copts can still take communion in Ethiopia and Moscow.

Greece and Turkey being different colors makes no sense either. The Eastern Orthodox patriarchate is in Istanbul. lovely map is lovely. Also needs a lot more "mixed color" notes and a "NA/irrelevant" coloration.

Oriental Orthodox churches are not in communion with Eastern Orthodox churches. The Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and most Protestants believe that Jesus is of two natures, a divine nature and a human nature. Oriental Orthodox Churches believe that the divine nature and the human nature of Jesus are one.

If this seems like kind of a trifling distinction that shouldn't make any difference at all for 99.9% of Christians and largely an excuse for 1500 year old political machinations, then let me be the first to welcome you to the world of Christology.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

if this map is going to include anabaptists it should really have Mormons, who significantly out number them. Or are they not christian enough for its author, I wonder?

LIke according to wikipedia there's only about 4 million Anabaptists in the world. By comparison, there are like 15 million Mormons, and 8 million Jehovah's Witnesses. I think Mormons are obviously different enough from mainstream Protestantism to be distinguished from mainstream Protestantism.

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019

Squalid posted:

if this map is going to include anabaptists it should really have Mormons, who significantly out number them. Or are they not christian enough for its author, I wonder?

LIke according to wikipedia there's only about 4 million Anabaptists in the world. By comparison, there are like 15 million Mormons, and 8 million Jehovah's Witnesses. I think Mormons are obviously different enough from mainstream Protestantism to be distinguished from mainstream Protestantism.

If you're going down list you could also technically include Rastafarians as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Squalid posted:

Compared to the Anabaptists, I think the answer is pretty clearly: no.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Squalid posted:

I think if you're including Mormons you also have to include Muslims and that's a can of worms no one wants.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m not clear on what the schism in the Eastern Orthodox Church between the eleventh and sixteenth centuries was about.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Whether you could be cool with the Roman pope. There were a couple attempts to reconcile local Orthodox churches with Rome because the foreign rulers of those places were Roman Catholic.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I’m not clear on what the schism in the Eastern Orthodox Church between the eleventh and sixteenth centuries was about.

Byzantium collapsing and the West demanding submission to their heresy in exchange for crusades.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

And to this day many (most?) Eastern Churches have a Catholic counterpart. Those Eastern Catholic communities have got an independent hierarchy, a membership separate from western Rite Catholics, mirror whatever liturgy their Orthodox counterparts have and basically the only difference is that they recognise the authority of the Pope. They used to be pretty "latinised", but during the 20th century there were substantial efforts both by Rome and by the local communities to rediscover their Eastern roots. Some of the Eastern Catholic Churches are tiny (I think the Greek Catholic one has got only like 20,000 members iirc), while others are much bigger. None of them exceeds a few million members though, afaik, so in comparison to the ~1.3 billion Catholics worldwide they are only a very small part.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Maronites are by far the largest Eastern Rite Catholic Church, with about three and a half million followers. They've been in full communion with Rome since the Crusades.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mormonism is basically just Proto-Scientology in that it's very transparently a scam by a conman.

Also both have a bunch of sci-fi weirdness.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Pretty sure that question was decisively settled in 1866.

Inside Germany, 1648 is still the one that counts. Fuckin' Prussians.
Btw. 23 million Catholics and 21 million Protestants in Germany, so the map is definitely wrong.
Fuckin' Prussians.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

(I think the Greek Catholic one has got only like 20,000 members iirc)

Catholics in Greece are mostly in a few islands, like Syros and Tinos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

And to this day many (most?) Eastern Churches have a Catholic counterpart. Those Eastern Catholic communities have got an independent hierarchy, a membership separate from western Rite Catholics, mirror whatever liturgy their Orthodox counterparts have and basically the only difference is that they recognise the authority of the Pope. They used to be pretty "latinised", but during the 20th century there were substantial efforts both by Rome and by the local communities to rediscover their Eastern roots. Some of the Eastern Catholic Churches are tiny (I think the Greek Catholic one has got only like 20,000 members iirc), while others are much bigger. None of them exceeds a few million members though, afaik, so in comparison to the ~1.3 billion Catholics worldwide they are only a very small part.

The Uniate churches are pretty important to Polish, Russian and Ukrainian history though