Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Everything about that episode feels like Linehan's the only one on the team who 'gets' the 'haha trans people' joke. Meanwhile, everyone else writing, acting and shooting the thing sees completely different (better) jokes, and are playing those up instead.

I feel like Matt Berry definitely thought the joke was how poo poo Douglas was being. The people setting up the fight scene just wanted to make a big, dumb, hilarious fight scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Indeed. I first saw that episode long before I was aware of Linehan's transphobia and misogyny.

And apart from the man vs woman fist fight, (which I am probably damning myself by initially thinking was so cartoony and absurd so as to be goofy fun), I thought the joke was on Douglas coz he rejected the woman of his dreams for a bullshit petty reason.

Of course, now knowing how much Linehan hates trans people, and also hearing an interview about that fight scene, (he said that it was OK to have a man hitting a woman because she was trans, and therefore really a man, so THAT was the joke as opposed to the silliness of the over the top stage combat that I thought it was), it is impossible to look at that episode, and indeed the rest of the show in the same light.

Likewise I saw it before his Views became public, but even then I had a moment where I felt uncomfortable that the joke was a woman getting repeatedly and violently punched in the face and it went downhill from that point.

Not least because violence wasn't a part of his usual humour (Bottom could have gotten away with it) so the only time when it was really used was against a woman, which made it feel really distasteful. Finding out his views now makes watching that episode pretty much impossible to watch.

But I do agree with BioEnchanted, BrigadierSensible & Cleretic that it could have been quite a funny and sweet episode if they just cut all the subpar fighting scenes out.

Then the following episodes included making fun of people with disabilities with their eyes and Roy being sexually assaulted and everyone mocking him for it and I began to suspect that Linehan may not be a very nice man.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, thankfully the acting elevates most of those scenes (Roy being visibly uncomfortable and shaken while standing up for the integrity of his sweet meats, Renholm fighting a cartoonish brawl). But gently caress if it isn't excruciating rewatching them knowing the creator is a massive pile of poo poo.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

There's also the episode Are We Not Men?, Which was uncomfortable for the entire running length.

Edit: or whatever the "aunt Irma" episode was.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Shut up Meg posted:

Then the following episodes included making fun of people with disabilities with their eyes and Roy being sexually assaulted and everyone mocking him for it and I began to suspect that Linehan may not be a very nice man.

I'm so glad the "men being assaulted = funny" trope is dying. Wedding Crashers had a straight up rape scene that was played for laughs. Even an early Bob's Burgers has Gail molesting Bob, and Linda just laughing about it and telling him to man up. I love Bob's Burgers, but uugghh.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm trying to remember what that one romantic comedy was where the main character is assaulted by his ex while unconscious and the emotional climax of the movie was him apologizing to his current girlfriend for it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Glagha posted:

I'm trying to remember what that one romantic comedy was where the main character is assaulted by his ex while unconscious and the emotional climax of the movie was him apologizing to his current girlfriend for it.

Forty days, forty nights or something like that? The one where the guy gave up sex/masturbation for lent.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Neito posted:

There's also the episode Are We Not Men?, Which was uncomfortable for the entire running length.

Edit: or whatever the "aunt Irma" episode was.

Aunt Irma Visits is episode six of season one. Are We Not Men? is episode two of season three and is the one where Roy and Moss use a "translator" to pass as tough manly men who like football and end up involved in a bank robbery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_IT_Crowd_episodes

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

hyperhazard posted:

I'm so glad the "men being assaulted = funny" trope is dying. Wedding Crashers had a straight up rape scene that was played for laughs. Even an early Bob's Burgers has Gail molesting Bob, and Linda just laughing about it and telling him to man up. I love Bob's Burgers, but uugghh.

This is why I could never get into Love Hina because half of the jokes are just the same dude getting the poo poo kicked out of him for no reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This is why I could never get into Love Hina because half of the jokes are just the same dude getting the poo poo kicked out of him for no reason.

For that reason?

The whole genre is basically about incredibly boring average young men (or occasionally just standard shonen protagonists) with the emotional acuity of a brick who are inexplicably surrounded by attractive women catering to various fetishes and brain problems who are all inexplicably attracted to him, despite their first interactions usually consisting of contrived coincidences that appear to be sexual harassment, but express it almost entirely through abuse and manipulation and nobody is ever able to actually ask anyone out on a date

I know the point is to appeal to generations of young men who feel they have literally no agency in their lives and are physically incapable of talking to women but still

Also there's usually more genuine chemistry between the women (or sometimes men) than with any heterosexual pairing in the show

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Forty days, forty nights or something like that? The one where the guy gave up sex/masturbation for lent.

That's the one. It serves the double-dose of yick that is "raping men is funny" and "all guys have to do to make a woman throw her knickers at the wall is say they don't want sex".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

All I remember about Love Hina was the one girl being obsessed about a promise she made to a boy when they were like 5?

Also I think there was a samurai girl?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Len posted:

All I remember about Love Hina was the one girl being obsessed about a promise she made to a boy when they were like 5?

That was the guy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neito posted:

That was the guy.

I couldn't remember if it actually was him or if it was wacky anime misunderstanding and it turned out it wasn't actually him

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Len posted:

I couldn't remember if it actually was him or if it was wacky anime misunderstanding and it turned out it wasn't actually him
Iirc it wasn't him. poo poo, looks like the manga wrapped it up after all:

The big-tiddy narcoleptic girl showed up as a possible rival but IT TURNS OUT Keitaro, Naruswgawa and Tiddygal were ALL playing in the sandbox and Keitaro did actually promise to Narusegawa.

There was indeed a samurai girl and a magical Egyptian girl who turned into a 20 year old under the cursed blood moon or something.

I din't get the whole "childhood friend fated to be a lover" thing in Japan but I guess it's a thing outside of major metropolitan areas? Like High School Sweethearts or something?

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Feb 8, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

That's the one. It serves the double-dose of yick that is "raping men is funny" and "all guys have to do to make a woman throw her knickers at the wall is say they don't want sex".

If you look like Josh Hartnett, yeah

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

FilthyImp posted:

I din't get the whole "childhood friend fated to be a lover" thing in Japan but I guess it's a thing outside of major metropolitan areas? Like High School Sweethearts or something?

Remember that arranged marriage is still very common there.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
it's not like it's completely foreign to white north american culture either.... anne of green gables series is FULL of it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

it's not like it's completely foreign to white north american culture either.... anne of green gables series is FULL of it

That also takes place in 19th century though doesn't it?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

I'm so glad the "men being assaulted = funny" trope is dying. Wedding Crashers had a straight up rape scene that was played for laughs.

What's also hosed up about that rape scene is how afterwards Vince Vaughn outright calls it a "midnight rape" and claims he feels like "Jodie Foster in The Accused" yet he delivers the line as if he's just mildly annoyed at the incident. Minimization of the seriousness of sexual assault of men AND women!

I'm ashamed that I loved that movie when I came out. Past me was (even more of an) idiot. And yet, it says a lot about the current state of comedy film that rape aside, it's definitely better than most comedy movies these days.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm onto season 6 of The Office and the christmas episode has a line that's aged badly, namely Michael referring to Phyllis's Santa as Tranny-Claus. Just a bit too mean for Michael's usual character.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Trans jokes were the go-to for a while in that period where people realised it wasn't socially acceptable to make gay jokes any more, but still wanted to make them.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I'm surprised that The Office is such a popular show with gen z. It was a good show and all, but it's slice of life that's very distinctly mid-to-late-2000s. The first season, Pam and her fiance have like a 2 or 3 year engagement that's supposed to be seen as super long and weird. Oscar comes out in the second? third? season and it ends with him kissing Michael while everyone gasps in horror. There's an episode about sexism in the workplace where Phyllis says that she's "not a feminist or anything" and everyone just kind of nods along.

I'm sure there are bigger things, but I just started re-watching lately and if these things seem weird to me, they must seem weird to teenagers too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

hyperhazard posted:

I'm surprised that The Office is such a popular show with gen z. It was a good show and all, but it's slice of life that's very distinctly mid-to-late-2000s. The first season, Pam and her fiance have like a 2 or 3 year engagement that's supposed to be seen as super long and weird. Oscar comes out in the second? third? season and it ends with him kissing Michael while everyone gasps in horror. There's an episode about sexism in the workplace where Phyllis says that she's "not a feminist or anything" and everyone just kind of nods along.

I'm sure there are bigger things, but I just started re-watching lately and if these things seem weird to me, they must seem weird to teenagers too.

To be fair on the Oscar thing, the shock isn't Oscar kissing Michael it's that Michael's trying to force himself on Oscar to show how inclusive he is and everyone's like "Dude, don't sexually assault Oscar, STOP!"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That also takes place in 19th century though doesn't it?
written between 1908 & 1936. trope of "childhood sweethearts will obviously grow up to become lovers" remains throughout 20th century & lingers into 21st: see Hallmark films

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao at the idea of "the girl next door" is some alien, inscrutable trope of the far nippon

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alaois posted:

lmao at the idea of "the girl next door" is some alien, inscrutable trope of the far nippon
Dawson's Creek was an anime, right?

I guess with increasingly atomized lifestyles it's hard to think that "I knew you in elementary, lets get married" still carries any weight. But yeah I admit this is a blind spot of mine.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Alaois posted:

god im glad i'm not the only one fuckin sozzed by this discussion tbh

it's such a thing i don't know how to explain a pond to a fish? i just thought of anne of green gables, a relatively obscure example, first bc netflix is trying real real hard to get me to watch it every time i go look at the witcher

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

hyperhazard posted:

It’s a comfort thing. Takes you back when times were simpler and not so hard. Men nodded politely to each other and took off their hats when a lady entered the room. You knew your neighbors by name and could leave your doors unlocked because they’d be watching out for you while you were gone and knew you’d do the same for them. Grandmas Apple pie cooling on the windowsill and at the end of the day, when you knew you’d done the best you could for that day and were at peace, well you and the missis and the littleuns would sit together as a family and taken pleasure in each other’s company. That’s The Office for you and for so many others who think back to those years and wish they were still here.

(Jim looks into the camera like a goddamn moron)

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

hyperhazard posted:

very distinctly mid-to-late-2000s.

It was? If it came out this year the only thing i could see not being there would be the Kevin is retarded joke but apart from that any time someone was lovely they where clearly the rear end in a top hat in the setting and it usually had reactions.

Idunno, i just dont see the office being problematic for todays teenagers.
But its been a while so im probably forgetting stuff.

datajugend has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Feb 9, 2020

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Remember that arranged marriage is still very common there.

It exists, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's common. Though also marriage generally seems to be on the decline there.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's because nobody has time for socialization because they're working themselves to death.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Alaois posted:

Goons discussing anime is something else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FilthyImp posted:

Dawson's Creek was an anime, right?

I guess with increasingly atomized lifestyles it's hard to think that "I knew you in elementary, lets get married" still carries any weight. But yeah I admit this is a blind spot of mine.

If anything it's even stronger because that was the last time a lot of alienated and socially dysfunctional young men remember a girl being nice to them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One thing about the Office that I did like, this bit of great mimicry from Rainn Wilson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maexfZEnEvg

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

lemonadesweetheart posted:

What's the other possible meaning of that joke?

We were shown that scene in history class to give us an idea of the influence of the Roman Empire

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

That's because nobody has time for socialization because they're working themselves to death.

I thought the whole salaryman who works himself to death thing was on decline as well?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I thought the whole salaryman who works himself to death thing was on decline as well?

That’s because all the ones who did it have died

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

It’s a comfort thing. Takes you back when times were simpler and not so hard. Men nodded politely to each other and took off their hats when a lady entered the room. You knew your neighbors by name and could leave your doors unlocked because they’d be watching out for you while you were gone and knew you’d do the same for them. Grandmas Apple pie cooling on the windowsill and at the end of the day, when you knew you’d done the best you could for that day and were at peace, well you and the missis and the littleuns would sit together as a family and taken pleasure in each other’s company. That’s The Office for you and for so many others who think back to those years and wish they were still here.

(Jim looks into the camera like a goddamn moron)

Why are you wearing a hat indoors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sassassin posted:

Why are you wearing a hat indoors?

Cause he’s a goddamned incel who doesn’t know anything about history or etiquette but thinks that wearing a fedora gives him “swag”