Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

The best combat in Arkham was the combat that didn't happen because the last guy in the encounter was so terrified that when you popped up in his face he drops his gun and begs for mercy

Related: Sparing the war criers in Mad Max is a strategically bad idea, but with a great outcome. Dude just hangs there and chit chats with you awkwardly. (Then you optionally blow his rear end up. :allears: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

bushisms.txt posted:

Nah, rising is one of the shallowest combat system they've produced. Astral chain is the new Queen of character action.

That doesn't really mean anything. Just because you can't combo enemies for 10 minutes like in DMC doesn't make the game shallow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ScourgeBringer feels like the most generic indie game to have ever existed lol

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Beat Bastion and quite liked it. Will get some new games on the PS4 Retro sale.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

You've yet to state anything other than it's just bad, which cool that's an opinion, maybe add something to it on this here discussion forum, like the post above yours. Like I agree the trimmings of the game aren't great, ie bear riding and sportball whatever, never got the hang of that. But the combat itself was fine, and even good in spots, especially since the fewer enemies made encounters feel more like rival battles, which is usually a peak moment for other PG games. I think they learned a lot from that and put it into a transformers which was a bit more accepted though with obtuse mechanics in it's own right.

Like, the combat is functional but that's the best I can say about it. Everything is just really so by the numbers. The mechanics work like you'd expect them to but there is no flair or joy to any of it. The enemies are boring, encounter and level design are both bad, your abilities are most lame, etc. I guess you could glean some hidden depth from it if you really wanted to but why would you when literally everything Korra does is done better by other Platinum games and many of the parts that aren't the combat are just horrible.

It also takes too long to unlock everything in a way that is clearly intended for multiple playthroughs but that really sucks with this particular game because I'm absolutely not playing that bland piece of boring again. And all the bosses suck.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 9, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a terminal dose..... f

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked the first two Batman games, MGR, and didn't like Vanquish or Transformers (it was free, and it wasn't good), and I haven't played any other "character action" games because they all look real dumb or bad imo

Ok bye

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

WaltherFeng posted:

That doesn't really mean anything. Just because you can't combo enemies for 10 minutes like in DMC doesn't make the game shallow.

I already explained in a further post, that's it's suffocating to only have a single weapon at a time in a PlatinumGames game. When I unlocked all the weapons I legit thought, that's it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think I ever used the other weapons in Revengeance other than to mess around with them just because. The game did not remotely need them in my experience.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

I don't think I ever used the other weapons in Revengeance other than to mess around with them just because. The game did not remotely need them in my experience.

The staff one was fun as hell

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the polearm is extremely good and the sai is good at setting up on some large enemies but you only need the sword really and that's fine

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

rising has the little autoscroller section after you beat sundowner and fall of the building and then glider back up

Though it is skippable if you just dunk on Sundowner a ton and skip that phase of the fight.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxiS93eDcnk

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

the polearm is extremely good and the sai is good at setting up on some large enemies but you only need the sword really and that's fine

sai

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mgr owns and its combat slaps

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Weedle posted:

is “character action” just a shorthand for “something that hideki kamiya and/or platinumgames was involved in”

its a term thats shorthand for jbrawler bcos that doesnt work as well as jrpg

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The new god of war counts imo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

The new god of war counts imo

soulslike

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

bushisms.txt posted:

I already explained in a further post, that's it's suffocating to only have a single weapon at a time in a PlatinumGames game. When I unlocked all the weapons I legit thought, that's it?

I would take the Blade Mode over 10 weapons every time. They absolutely nailed the feeling of the sword on sword combat and only Sekiro comes anywhere near close.

I love DMC5 but there's nothing like two hot, vibrating blades of steel touching each other repeatedly.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 9, 2020

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wait, did I just make up being able to skip the Sundowner autoscroller? I swear you could skip that whole phase of his fight but now I can't find any vids of it...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I enjoyed most of the W101 side games. The only ones I absolutely hated were the isometric shooter ones, especially that one that involves the Wii U screen. Oh and there’s one really annoying paragliding section.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

soulslike

It's way more of a character action game than a soulslike

Weedle
May 31, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

I would take the Blade Mode over 10 weapons every time. They absolutely nailed the feeling of the sword on sword combat and only Sekiro comes anywhere near close.

Ah, a fellow devotee of the blade.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Andrast posted:

It's way more of a character action game than a soulslike

It has the weight and up-closeness of a Souls but the mechanics of a character action game.

It's mostly a Metroidvania though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Genres is kinda bullshit when you think about it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it’s beat em up not character action game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

it’s beat em up not character action game
:hai:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Beat em ups are River City Ransom or Double Dragon type games though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mutata posted:

games like bayonetta have a direct lineage to those, both mechanically and historically

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

mutata posted:

These days those are more specifically called belt scrollers by genre aficionados. Character action games are pretty much their modern descendants.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh poo poo i wonder if one of the platinum 4 is viewtiful joe on steam

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

I'm playing Resident Evil Remaster HD and I'm reminded how these old games are kind of tricky to juggle as an adult. If I get pulled away from the computer suddenly I can't just quick save or even exit save. Then when I get back and it's bed time I have to play my way to a typewriter or leave the computer on over night. The following work day and then get back to it some 18 hours later.

It's funny because the game has a release date of 2015. So I just assumed it was part of the series of remakes that saw Resident evil 2 and 3 completely remade from scratch. But "Resident Evil Remaster HD" kind of plays like rear end (for a 2015 release). I was surprised how true to the original game it was, forklift controls and all. I then found it that it was a reskin of the 2002 gamecube remake of resident evil 1. And the game design made so much more sense.

Still having a good time with it though they added a ton of extra items without giving you more inventory space so I find myself running back and forth to the storage chest because I can only fit something like 2 of the 6 quest items I'm juggling in my inventory at the same time.

They did give Jill DOA style boob physics for this very release which looks laughably bad.

Frekkie Melody fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 9, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Chev posted:

These days those are more specifically called belt scrollers by genre aficionados. Character action games are pretty much their modern descendants.

"Belt scrollers" lmao. God drat. Too many people know what a "beat-em-up" is so they had to come up with something else to reflect their rarefied tastes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

precision posted:

I'm not saying they're wrong for disliking it, I'm saying they're saying things that are, in actual fact, literally incorrect.

I'm not even a big stan for the Arkham games, I think they're just "pretty good" at best and two of them are mediocre or bad.

I liked Arkham City and Asylum a lot. My post about its combat was derogatory and reductionist to express that it wasn't impressive- so I don't know how that turned into a 2 page Amanda Show sketch about someone who takes all words literally. Yes, there are literally more mechanics than hitting prompt reaction, so what? You don't have to be charitable when taking shots at something you didn't think was so good.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Chev posted:

Ehhh I'm just gonna call them all "fighting games" now just to make the genre nerds mad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Weedle posted:

"Belt scrollers" lmao. God drat. Too many people know what a "beat-em-up" is so they had to come up with something else to reflect their rarefied tastes
belt scroller is the original japanese term, just like beat em up is what weird europeans decided to call them when they were localized

but now belt scroller is more accurately taken to be the style of 2d brawler where the levels continuously scroll (and brawler is a way better word than beat em up)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You guys still talking about fighting games?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my favorite dead genre name is "blobber"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Songbearer posted:

Dynasty Warriors only the enemy fodder units are my hopes and dreams

Ugh, reminds me I really ought to get around to beating Dragon Quest Heroes, if only to see the hilarious and gorgeous cutscenes it has

Seriously it literally has better cut scenes than the mainline games lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mutata posted:

You guys still talking about fighting games?
imagine thinking this is an own when fgs and brawlers are intimately linked. just lol