Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

homeless snail posted:

imagine thinking this is an own when fgs and brawlers are intimately linked. just lol

See? I knew it was a good name for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my favorite dead genre name is "blobber"

actually is this still used at all? it was originally for first-person dungeon crawlers (specifically grid-based ones where you had a party which was abstracted into fitting into a single grid square, hence "blob")

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Legend of Grimrock?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

mutata posted:

You guys still talking about fighting games?

We are very polite when the thread is final fantasy for days on end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I always wanted a game with Final Fantasy exploration and then the individual fights were a fighting game round

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I always wanted a game with Final Fantasy exploration and then the individual fights were a fighting game round
that's dissidia, and it's great (dissidia duodecim particularly)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I swear there's a game exactly like this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
genres are important specifically because genre design conventions exist, which i admit is a bit circular

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

actually is this still used at all? it was originally for first-person dungeon crawlers (specifically grid-based ones where you had a party which was abstracted into fitting into a single grid square, hence "blob")
Yeah, routinely.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does anyone know why PC Game Pass keeps reinstalling games I've deleted?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RBA Starblade posted:

Does anyone know why PC Game Pass keeps reinstalling games I've deleted?

Because it's a piece of poo poo that downloads anything and everything in the background without your permission. But also shits the bed if you try to download anything bigger than 5GB.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

We are very polite when the thread is final fantasy for days on end.

What have you done, you fool! You've said the words and into the darkness we plunge again..

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why do they call it final fantasy when it doesn’t taste like final

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

stev posted:

Because it's a piece of poo poo that downloads anything and everything in the background without your permission. But also shits the bed if you try to download anything bigger than 5GB.

Great

No way to stop that then?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

mutata posted:

What have you done, you fool! You've said the words and into the darkness we plunge again..

I'm ashamed of my words and deeds

Weedle
May 31, 2006

are there any action rpgs where you can focus almost exclusively on unarmed combat

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stux posted:

soulslike

:hmmno:

stev posted:

It's mostly a Metroidvania though.

:hmmno::hmmno::hmmno:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Weedle posted:

are there any action rpgs where you can focus almost exclusively on unarmed combat

there's that new dbz game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a musician named Final Fantasy and I always thought it was a bit odd since he doesn't make, like, nerd music or whatever, it's just like ambient electronic folk music. Like The Books.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Weedle posted:

are you talking action rpg like a diablo knockoff or just any rpg that doesn’t have turned based combat because while i can’t speak on the latter the former has abilities immediately replace your weapon attack button anyway so it seems a moot point

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 9, 2020

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1226561932129374210?s=20

Rip

Hope this doesn't affect what Nitedive was doing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

also you wanna talk about brawlers with good shooting segments? its asuras wrath

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I give myself an air of hipness and with-it-ness by inventing my own genre names from whole cloth

Platinum hasn't been good since they switched from moosedunkers to willitangs

Weedle posted:

Yakuza

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is there a problem officer

Weedle
May 31, 2006

precision posted:

There's a musician named Final Fantasy and I always thought it was a bit odd since he doesn't make, like, nerd music or whatever, it's just like ambient electronic folk music. Like The Books.

He wrote some of the music for Traffic Department 2192 when he was 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Cv2npcRRI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUldc8tYsAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0k4kjoyzc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K6G7zGoQsI

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

also you wanna talk about shooters with good brawler segments? kid icarus uprising

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Traffic Department was a good game.

First game I remember with a woman of color protagonist. Also cussing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

is there a problem officer

:negative:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

also you wanna talk about brawlers with good shooting segments? its asuras wrath

yes but it needs a port

homeless snail posted:

also you wanna talk about shooters with good brawler segments? kid icarus uprising

not while its stuck on 3ds with that control scheme

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

are talking action rpg like a diablo knockoff or just any rpg that doesn’t have turned based combat because while i can’t speak on the latter the former has abilities immediately replace your weapon attack button anyway so it seems a moot point

i mean like, third-person action-adventure rpg (witcher, alpha protocol, mass effect, etc) but with brawler combat. something like arkham i guess but with more robust character development/customization and a reactive narrative

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only think i know about the new kid icarus game nintendo did was the control scheme was insanely loving bad but i can’t remember if i just didn’t like the way the 3ds was shaped in general

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Weedle posted:

i mean like, third-person action-adventure rpg (witcher, alpha protocol, mass effect, etc) but with brawler combat. something like arkham i guess but with more robust character development/customization and a reactive narrative

Jade Empire

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Weedle posted:

yakuza

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

the only think i know about the new kid icarus game nintendo did was the control scheme was insanely loving bad but i can’t remember if i just didn’t like the way the 3ds was shaped in general
its a good control scheme and the game literally couldn't be played as designed any other way, but also its a control scheme that requires you to use the analog stick and shoulder button and stylus at the same time and doesn't leave you any fingers with which to hold the 3ds

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh hell yeah. i think i actually own this on iphone lol. i should probably play it on pc though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Does a mandarin orange count as "unarmed"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

also that it was like... 2013? and the previous kid icarus game was 1992 i think, meaning a 21 year gap before nintendo went out to the graveyard to dig that franchise up

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Weedle posted:

Do a dark souls 2 fists run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh yeah dang i tried to play some of this on geforce now the other day but it worked terribly so i gotta wait until i finish/uninstall gta5