Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ah, okay. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited

It has a wheel bearing issue, we want to get that fixed but our mechanic will need to order the part and we'd prefer not to pay the markup on him ordering the part. What are some good suppliers I can check for a wheel bearing? I'm not sure what supply places I should be looking into or which ones to specifically ignore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Will they install the part if you bring it to them? Many will not.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Will they install the part if you bring it to them? Many will not.

They will and have in the past

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
RockAuto. Front or rear?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

RockAuto. Front or rear?

Left Front.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chrysler,2002,pt+cruiser,2.4l+l4,1398764,brake+&+wheel+hub,wheel+bearing,1672

Oh yay a build date split :bang:

Through 2001-08-10 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1116701&cc=1398764&jsn=26
From 2001-08-11 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1117862&cc=1398764&jsn=21&jsn=21

If Timken is a bit rich for your blood, you can step down to the ACDelco bearings.

Through 2001-08-10 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9481880&cc=1398764&jsn=18
From 2001-08-11 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9482468&cc=1398764&jsn=17

GMB could have been an option but for the CN CoI for their bearings in this application. I tend to avoid CN for spinny bits if I can help it.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 8, 2020

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thank you :D I appreciate the help.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Take the part number and cross shop Amazon. I got a starter for $50 less than RA.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Take the part number and cross shop Amazon. I got a starter for $50 less than RA.

Always good advice. Works especially well with heavy items like bearings, rotors, etc. Can save a ton on shipping.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Okay, another quick question.

We weren't sure if the wheel bearing issue was actually just the bearing itself or if the assembly needed replaced too. The mechanic said that it was just the pressure bearing.

Is the pressure bearing just another name for a front wheel bearing or is it a separate thing entirely?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Okay, another quick question.

We weren't sure if the wheel bearing issue was actually just the bearing itself or if the assembly needed replaced too. The mechanic said that it was just the pressure bearing.

Is the pressure bearing just another name for a front wheel bearing or is it a separate thing entirely?

I have no idea what a pressure bearing could be. Sounds like another name for a thrust bearing.

Are you working off a quote?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

I have no idea what a pressure bearing could be. Sounds like another name for a thrust bearing.

Are you working off a quote?

Initially we were but that's where my fiancee and I realized we weren't entirely sure if the wheel bearing issue was something wrong with just the wheel bearing or the entire assembly. My fiancee called him up and asked and he said it wasn't an issue with the assembly, just with the pressure bearing,

Also, he would want to do a wheel alignment afterwards, my fiancee wanted me to ask in here if that's a standard thing when you're getting a wheel bearing replaced or if we should skip it.

I'm probably going to have her call back to ask if the pressure bearing is the same as the wheel bearing because on the initial invoice and any of the conversations from when he initially checked out the car, he said wheel bearing and not pressure bearing.

e: okay, she's normally not up for calling people back so soon so I wasn't expecting her to be able to call back as soon as she did. It was a misunderstanding, he had told her that the make of car meant the wheel bearing would need to be pressed in rather than bolted.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 8, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, he would want to do a wheel alignment afterwards, my fiancee wanted me to ask in here if that's a standard thing when you're getting a wheel bearing replaced or if we should skip it.

Alignment is standard, because he's going to take the knuckle off to press the bearing in/out.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Hi thread, I'm thinking about buying a truck (2009 Tacoma) in the US that was originally manufactured for Canada. The speedometer has KM/H on the outer ring and MPH on the inner ring so the salesguy isn't bullshitting me but what bugs me is the odometer reading. He claims it is displaying kilometers but that the truck has been switched to count miles now that it's registered in the US. There's no real way for me or anyone else to know the true mileage of this vehicle and this kind of rubs me in a weird way. I feel like this is going to complicate something if I end up buying it, whether it's insurance, financing, resale value, or something else I'm not thinking of.

What do you all think? Major red flag or am I blowing this out of proportion?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

internet celebrity posted:

Hi thread, I'm thinking about buying a truck (2009 Tacoma) in the US that was originally manufactured for Canada. The speedometer has KM/H on the outer ring and MPH on the inner ring so the salesguy isn't bullshitting me but what bugs me is the odometer reading. He claims it is displaying kilometers but that the truck has been switched to count miles now that it's registered in the US. There's no real way for me or anyone else to know the true mileage of this vehicle and this kind of rubs me in a weird way. I feel like this is going to complicate something if I end up buying it, whether it's insurance, financing, resale value, or something else I'm not thinking of.

I've not heard of mileage impacting car insurance. Odometer Discrepancy being checked on the title will probably impact resale value, yes. But it should be impacting the value now as well.

It will also somewhat be a problem with scheduled maintenance intervals, but as long as you have the general idea you should be able to work around that. It's not like if you go to 60,010 miles without doing the 60k maintenance the car will explode.

All that said, I've never heard of an odometer mode changing without automatically updating the number that it displays, but I guess I don't know much about it.

Someone else is likely to correct me on some of this, but that's my $0.02.

tl;dr: If the odometer scenario you're describing is correct, it will impact resale value by virtue of "odometer discrepancy" and you'll need to be careful with scheduled maintenance intervals.

Edit: a 2009 is probably out of the normal scheduled maintenance intervals anyways. How much are they charging for this thing?

ssb fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 8, 2020

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
A little over 10k out the door with tax and fees and everything. Odometer is reading 140k which considering what's going on can be anywhere from 87k to 140k depending on when the conversion was done. Just called my dad about this and he said his 1987 Chrysler would convert the odometer from miles to kilometers automatically when you flipped the metric switch so it sounds a bit strange that a 2009 Toyota wouldn't also do it.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Blindeye posted:

The orange lines with crimped connections but not connected to each other are part of the speaker wires. Most of the connections were pretty loose as well so we'll see.

One last update: re-checked my wires and installed the 65 dollar JVC radio/BT unit. I was expecting the speakers to have issues but the thing started right up with no issues. All 12v plugs now seem to be working fine as well. poo poo I might buy a lottery ticket, I am well on track to make a profit flipping this truck.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

A little over 10k out the door with tax and fees and everything. Odometer is reading 140k which considering what's going on can be anywhere from 87k to 140k depending on when the conversion was done. Just called my dad about this and he said his 1987 Chrysler would convert the odometer from miles to kilometers automatically when you flipped the metric switch so it sounds a bit strange that a 2009 Toyota wouldn't also do it.

I've got a 2009 Toyota (Corolla) that doesn't have anything to flip to change the odo from metric to imperial and back fwiw.

E: Its possible that the dealre might have some sort of fancy poo poo that can do that though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Just called my dad about this and he said his 1987 Chrysler would convert the odometer from miles to kilometers automatically when you flipped the metric switch so it sounds a bit strange that a 2009 Toyota wouldn't also do it.

That is not a common feature.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Take it on a 6 mile test drive and see id the odo goes up by 6 or 10

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Test drive it for exactly 2 miles and see if it clicks over 2 or 3 miles.

Edit...left the reply open way too long!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

opengl128 posted:

That is not a common feature.

My cougar does this too. Digital dash with a miles/km button. I like to sneakily toggle it and wait to see how long a new passenger takes to notice we're going over "100"

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Javid posted:

My cougar does this too. Digital dash with a miles/km button. I like to sneakily toggle it and wait to see how long a new passenger takes to notice we're going over "100"

My Corvette did it too. It's still not super common and no Toyota has it. And I'm pretty sure in my C5 it only effected the speedo and not the odometer.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My volvo will do it, but you have to have the VIDA software / be a dealer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

My Corvette did it too. It's still not super common and no Toyota has it. And I'm pretty sure in my C5 it only effected the speedo and not the odometer.

GM also omits the dual scale in this case, they just light up only the KM/h or MPH. I think my Canyon does it too.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Krakkles posted:

This is my plan: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087QI3GM/

But, more directly, if you have a front plate, any of the aftermarket cameras should easily mount. Here's the one I have on the back of my car, there are smaller ones, though:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074KZSVD6/

Edit: Maybe something like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XB5Y6D4/ - it's small, should be pretty easy to mount unobtrusively, and since it has IR lights instead of bright rear end LEDs, it'll be more subtle when you're parking. There's also a visible LED version if you don't care.

Neat, thanks for the suggestions.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

When it gets converted, the numbers get updated to match. So if it was showing 140k miles, it would have been showing 225308 km.

It's a toggle the dealer does via software, IF it can be done. Pull a Carfax tho, it'll show much higher KMs vs miles for registration renewals/inspections while it was in Canada if it hasn't been switched.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Second Gen RAV-4. My brakes make a horrible squeaking racket, specifically and exclusively when I am in reverse (such as backing out of a parking space). My job has been so hectic I've not had a chance to get it looked at at all. The car had previously been in a Southern climate with sea air exposure. At the time it had general squealing issues with braking and turning, and it was taken to a mechanic and had a bunch of the brake/wheel system replaced due to corrosion before I moved North. Did they...miss a separate component or something?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Squealing is either:

- cheap pads with no backing
- better pads with the backing left off at installation
- wear indicators scraping your discs to tell you it's time for new pads.

Oddly, if all of the wear material is gone & you're grinding up your discs, usually you'll just hear a rumbling when you hit the brakes.

If you've got a lot of meat on the pads, you can remove them and spray or spread a sound deadener on the backs of each pad, then reinstall them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If it's only in reverse could it have something to do with the auto adjusters for the parking brake?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Charles posted:

If it's only in reverse could it have something to do with the auto adjusters for the parking brake?

I just changed the front pads on our Soarer because it would squeal horribly, but only in reverse. Would quietly grind going forward, only reverse screamed. It was the wear indicator, new pads and all is well.

I'd check the pads first.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I think re: the km->miles issue I'm just going to give this guy a stupid lowball offer and walk away because it still feels like not knowing the mileage of this thing is going to complicate something down the line in some weird way. Like if I try to sell it or trade it in or refinance it or something, some jerk is a suit is going to tell me "well since we can't verify the mileage I'm afraid we can't do that." It just gives me a bad feeling. There are a million trucks for sale in this city and metric issue aside this isn't even that great of a deal and it's slightly out of my budget anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

All you have to do is pull a carfax and see what the reported mileage/km was to know what it really has. The odometer will convert whatever reading it had to the appropriate unit when switched to display miles, if they actually did that (a Toyota dealer can probably do it). Carfax also owns Carproof, a Canadian car history report service; Canadian entries will show on the US Carfax.

So if it was showing 60,000 km and they toggle it to miles, it'll switch to 37282 miles and start counting in miles from there. If it was showing 60,000 miles and they toggle it to km, it'll show 96561 km and continue counting in km.

The carfax will either show the last event (trade-in or offer for sale) with miles or km, and it'll show previous entries in km. If the number suddenly decreased when offered for sale, or previous entries are 200,000+ km, you know it got switched. If it didn't decrease, it's showing km, which works out for you (140,000 km is only 87k miles). You just have to disclose in the future that it reads in kms, if that's the case.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Dumb scenario popped in my head. Is there a limit to how cold air can be for modern engines? What kind of problems can result if you fed a modern engine with super cold air? Wikipedia says air liquifies at -194.35C so not that low but what about right above that? Assuming the engine is 'warm' and the cold environment doesn't affect lubricants and coolant.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

My guess would be thermal shock.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess this is a real thing for machinery in the Arctic. They probably have ways to heat it up but not on a cold start.

e: a quick search of running machinery in the arctic mostly focusses on lubricants and fuel without any mention of connoted running. Not to say arctic temps are near the liquid temp of air but its still cold.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 9, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I've seen a lot of diesel trucks that have intake heaters. But they only seem to work when the engine is idling, not when you're driving. If I'm not mistaken, their purpose is to help the engine warm up not for anything else.
I'm not sure how well that would work on a gas engine. Just to help it warm up maybe would be fine, but a goon with an actual brain might be able to elaborate more.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I guess I'm thinking if it is -200C outside the last thing I would think about is how I start my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I guess I'm thinking if it is -200C outside the last thing I would think about is how I start my car.

Touche.