Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

homeless snail posted:

its a good control scheme and the game literally couldn't be played as designed any other way, but also its a control scheme that requires you to use the analog stick and shoulder button and stylus at the same time and doesn't leave you any fingers with which to hold the 3ds

yeah that was it. it was at pax east before the launch of the 3ds proper so all the 3ds on demo display had this heavy security cable tethered to them too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

also that it was like... 2013? and the previous kid icarus game was 1992 i think, meaning a 21 year gap before nintendo went out to the graveyard to dig that franchise up
thats a canonical part of the story of the game, also. they spent a lot of the first act talking about poo poo from the nes game and how much has changed since then

the way the story is presented in that game is also buckwild and is something else that couldn't really be done on any other console. the bottom screen is just a constant dialogue between two characters that occasionally digresses into powerpoint presentations

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

its a good control scheme and the game literally couldn't be played as designed any other way, but also its a control scheme that requires you to use the analog stick and shoulder button and stylus at the same time and doesn't leave you any fingers with which to hold the 3ds

no it could just use a second analog stick and in the most twisted move ever they gave it circle pad pro support... so you could use the right stick instead of the left one for left handed people as if the game being so horrible on your hands that they included a stand with the game wasnt bad enough without the giant extra circle pad add on as well

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

no it could just use a second analog stick and in the most twisted move ever they gave it circle pad pro support... so you could use the right stick instead of the left one for left handed people as if the game being so horrible on your hands that they included a stand with the game wasnt bad enough without the giant extra circle pad add on as well
you wouldn't want to aim in that game with an analog stick

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

you wouldn't want to aim in that game with an analog stick

no i really would please and thank you

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

the only think i know about the new kid icarus game nintendo did was the control scheme was insanely loving bad but i can’t remember if i just didn’t like the way the 3ds was shaped in general

the control scheme would be really good if the 3ds itself weren't a tiny uncomfortable box

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kid Icarus 3ds has the worst controls of any modern game ever. The controls are so bad they should have gone back to the drawing board and rethought the base mechanics of the game.

It's a shame because the game looks like it would be amazing if it was actually okay to play.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does a mandarin orange count as "unarmed"

for anyone except Kiryu

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
lots of sad lads who can't recognize the best game on the 3ds

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kid Icarus is yet another Nintendo game that I probably would've really enjoyed if it were released on a not terrible system.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

probably the best console for kid icarus uprising would be a very large arcade cabinet with a trackball. but then it wouldn't also be a 30 hour long game with an amazing story...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Has anyone played Kid Icarus in citra to see how well an analog stick works? I’m kinda interested in trying it out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Looper posted:

What does Majora's Mask have to do with this?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

kid icarus is a fun game but the control scheme is designed by satan and sucks so badly when it could just use two sticks and be fine

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

like the game literally has an option to use the face buttons for camera control but wont let you use the circle pad pro instead its maddening

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Kid Icarus control scheme very much feels like a game that was designed without the 3ds limitations in mind and then they said, oh poo poo how are we going to make this game work now? It's like a weird port that has more control needs than the 3ds has inputs.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
This Wednesday coming we get our catte as an official member of our family and my heart is actually hurting with all the yearning I have for this little fuzzball to enter our lives

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

idk that conversation was started because of Astral Chain but it was so boring and taking it's sweet rear end time to unlock poo poo that I just bailed on it and sold it early on. hearing that it was incredibly long didn't help either

Barudak posted:

Nanobreaker.

idk that it even has the complexity of the ps2 castlevania's built on seemingly the same engine.

homeless snail posted:

that's dissidia, and it's great (dissidia duodecim particularly)

hell yeah it is

Stux posted:

no i really would please and thank you

same, i literally can't play that game without hurting my hand, and i hate the camera controls on land sections its awful

Looper posted:

i would if it controlled like it was built for humans and not the zorg menace from quadrant 3

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Songbearer posted:

This Wednesday coming we get our catte as an official member of our family and my heart is actually hurting with all the yearning I have for this little fuzzball to enter our lives

Be sure to spoil them so much that it'll be hard to top every day there after.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I haven’t touched Kid Icarus or his dark brother in Smash Bros, is he any good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Y'all forgetting about the greatest brawler/shooter

Devil's Third baby

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Devil's third baby? Who r the other 2

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
kid icarus uprising has a fun and innovative control scheme held back by the fact that nintendo has never designed an ergonomic handheld except for the one you can only see while under a spotlight. my only issue with the game is that it ended too soon. if i never play another dual analog shooty game it'd be too soon, when games like splatoon and kid icarus do it so much better

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Khanstant posted:

Devil's third baby? Who r the other 2

Ninja gaiden 1 and 2

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Any Ys game where you can play as Dogi suddenly becomes an action rpg about punching things.

There was the punchy dude in Recettear as well but you don't start out with access to him.

Souls games have fist weapons or fist supplements though idk how good each game's options are. I think there's a knuckleduster in Bloodborne and I know you can powerstance fist weapons in Dark Souls 2.

Tales of Symphonia becomes a fun little combo punchyfist game once you get Regal in your party and choose to play as him.

MMORPGs have a lot of that kind of action punchy class but the ones I'm most familiar with are the ones from DFO. There are a lot of variations on punchy martial arts classes in Dungeon Fighter Online. They range from:

Monk: Subclass of the Male Priest class. Priests usually use giant holy weapons (giant rosaries, giant crosses, giant totem poles, etc) to beat up enemies but the Monk instead just plants his weapon into the ground to create an area of effect buff around it while he runs around and punches a bunch. He gets various skills that let him punch in different ways, lots of special punches, lots of speed and a really good dodge move, and can even punch so hard that he summons a tornado to help out with the fight.

The main punch classes are the Male and Female Fighter though, both sharing the same subclasses but the execution between the two tend to be different, just slightly, usually with Female Fighters being more about speed and Male Fighters being more about damage and there are more differences but I can't remember them. I just know that they both play differently even though they share similar skill trees.

The 4 subclasses they use:
Subclasses:
Nen Master: does punches but also has like hadoukens and poo poo like that, any kind of standard fighting game chi attack stuff. Lots of light-element shielding and offensive barriers too.
Striker: They're a boxer, they use specialized boxing glove weapons that the other subclasses can't use, they are all about being fast and punchy
Brawler: Fights dirty, uses claws and punches but also will inflict all kinds of debuffs against the enemies, smash a brick into their face, throw pocket sand, catching them in a net, throwing out poison landmines for enemies to be exploded by (or in male fighter's case, throwing a mine into the air and kicking it to create a shotgun blast of poison), lighting gunpowder in your hand and grabbing them so your fist explodes while holding them, or just throwing columns and wagon wheels at them. (Can you tell what subclass I mained??)
Grappler: Pick up everything. Grab everything. Nothing is truly ungrabbable. Just use a ton of different suplexes and never let the enemy go.

There are some other subclasses that have elements of melee introduced into their skillset (a Ranger is a Gunner who specializes in both revolver combat as well as gunblade-chuks if you're a Female Gunner and both Male and Female Rangers have a heavy emphasis on doing lots of kick attacks).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

palutena is better

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dark pit the hedgehog

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Reminding me of the best trailer sync of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3aZSpGwDJ4

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Looper posted:

kid icarus uprising has a fun and innovative control scheme held back by the fact that nintendo has never designed an ergonomic handheld except for the one you can only see while under a spotlight. my only issue with the game is that it ended too soon. if i never play another dual analog shooty game it'd be too soon, when games like splatoon and kid icarus do it so much better

yeah the game about not aiming and the game that crushes human hand bones in normal operation truly have beaten out [checks notes] a normal control scheme

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hey weren't they doing up a remake of panzer dragoon what happened to that

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like saying a game has a good control scheme is sorta negated if people need to follow up with a lot of negatives about the control scheme being frustrating and poorly designed and not designed well for the system it is on.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

hey weren't they doing up a remake of panzer dragoon what happened to that

It's still in development. The devs are pretty active on their Steam forum.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like saying a game has a good control scheme is sorta negated if people need to follow up with a lot of negatives about the control scheme being frustrating and poorly designed and not designed well for the system it is on.

Maybe but what does that have to do with KI:U and its perfect control scheme

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

if youre just asking if theyre fun to play than yeah, if youre asking if theyre good competitively then not really, they're prob near the bottom. theyre still better than that makes them sound though

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ki u is genuinely physically painful to play

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i used the stand and enjoyed it greatly

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

ki u is genuinely physically painful to play

the pain was worth it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Weedle posted:

oh hell yeah. i think i actually own this on iphone lol. i should probably play it on pc though

Jade Empire is real cool, but also you gotta realize going in that despite how the gameplay looks, it's not actually a real-time combat system. It's actually queuing up your actions behind the scenes kinda like what you could do in KOTOR and sometimes it makes the game feel a mite sluggish as it catches up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Andrast posted:

the pain was worth it
it doesn't even hurt that much after you get used to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i remember playing jade empire coming off of playing ninja gaiden (black?) thinking it was going to be that in a kotor world and boy howdy was young cowcaster disappointed