Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Still think the OG Cybermen are the scariest. They’re more obviously corpses being powered by machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I've only listened to it once, but I think Spare Parts is probably my favorite Cybermen story. I think that's a pretty common opinion though, if I remember stuff that I skimmed in the old thread right.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Dragonatrix posted:

I've only listened to it once, but I think Spare Parts is probably my favorite Cybermen story. I think that's a pretty common opinion though, if I remember stuff that I skimmed in the old thread right.

still 100% right

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TL posted:

Still think the OG Cybermen are the scariest. They’re more obviously corpses being powered by machines.

The voices are so important too, if they can find the right mix between the buzz of Tomb of the Cybermen and the sing-song voices from The Tenth Planet/World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls etc it adds a huge amount to the atmosphere.

WE MUZZZT SURVIVE! WE MUZZZZZZZZZZZZZT

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Why do they need glowing Iron Man hearts?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Wheezle posted:

Why do they need glowing Iron Man hearts?

Because they only had the budget to remake the head mask. Everything else, including the face under the new cowl, is the Moffat design.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm gonna say, the original Cyberman design is probably the scariest, yes, but it also speaks to fears that aren't relevant anymore in 2020 (how will heart transplants change us as human beings? as it turns out, not very much, and it's good that we have access to that and prosthetics), so unless you're reusing that design for nostalgic/continuity reasons (as Moffat did for the last Capaldi story, which, in line with a lot of Moffat's work for the series, felt like a time to reflect on Doctor Who and its characters and what they mean and how they can move forward), I don't think I'd want that or anything similar moving forward.

I think the writers have to look into the Cyberman concept and find what is relevant about it today. How do the Cybermen tie into our current, highly digital landscape? What kind of commentary can you make with Cybermen about our social media-dominated landscape, a world where our data is easily traceable and our own legacies can be owned by megacorporations, a world where we're pressured into being constantly connected and available, a world where apps and gadgets gamify and measure every possible metric? How do Cybermen exist in our late stage capitalism hellscape? What do they represent? What makes them scary today?

But I think at this point they're too steeped into their own lore, so we'll keep seeing them as cannon fodder or in occasional references to the Cyberman war or in some other nostalgic operation.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Found the 3D Blu-Ray version of "Dark Water/Death in Heaven" for $1 at my local Dollar Tree. If you have a Dollar Tree around you, it's worth going to see if they have it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Found the 3D Blu-Ray version of "Dark Water/Death in Heaven" for $1 at my local Dollar Tree. If you have a Dollar Tree around you, it's worth going to see if they have it.

Death in Heaven is an absolute mess, and the weird robot-zombie-soldier stuff was really uncomfortable given it aired on/the night before Remembrance Sunday.

But the introduction of Missy and her scenery-chewing madness? Her refusing to kill that dude before he says something nice? Absolutely brilliant.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8TgBoNBLnD/

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Death in Heaven is an absolute mess, and the weird robot-zombie-soldier stuff was really uncomfortable given it aired on/the night before Remembrance Sunday.

But the introduction of Missy and her scenery-chewing madness? Her refusing to kill that dude before he says something nice? Absolutely brilliant.

I can't overstate how much I hated the stuff with the Brigadier.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It almost feels like a metatextual prank on the audience that Dark Water is such a good modern remaining of the Cybermen, and yet they only exist as a feint for Missy to gently caress with everyone.

I can't even entirely hate them for that. Like, I want a good modern Cyberman, but that's a ballsy ploy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Moffat seems to really like the Cybermen, and he really likes giving them new gimmicks every time they turn up, even when it's a short cameo like in The Pandorica Opens.

The androids from The Girl In The Fireplace are basically Cybermen too, when you think about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God this is so sweet :shobon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

He really is an amazing artist.

I wonder if Capaldi would qualify as a Polymath like Bruce Dickinson? He is a talented actor, musician, artist, and an encyclopedic Doctor Who nerd. Wouldn't shock me if he could fly planes too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bjlemsworth/status/1226180540547698688?s=20

https://twitter.com/bjlemsworth/status/1044703487634952194?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He showed up to a police station and talked his way in pretending to be something he isn't. Peter Capaldi really IS the Doctor :lol:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Moffat seems to really like the Cybermen, and he really likes giving them new gimmicks every time they turn up, even when it's a short cameo like in The Pandorica Opens.

The androids from The Girl In The Fireplace are basically Cybermen too, when you think about it.

Their successors in Deep Breath even more so! I think they're probably his most-used monster overall

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

God this is so sweet :shobon:

Couple more

https://twitter.com/lizzie_kristina/status/1226167114261843969?s=20

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Astroman posted:

He really is an amazing artist.

I wonder if Capaldi would qualify as a Polymath like Bruce Dickinson? He is a talented actor, musician, artist, and an encyclopedic Doctor Who nerd. Wouldn't shock me if he could fly planes too.

he's also an Oscar-winning writer/director

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have a feeling that these are the kind of monsters that are going to look best in the imagination.

Edit: Fingers aren't supposed to do that!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 9, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So far I'm enjoying it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Get me an A-Z of the universe and I'll.... no, I have no idea."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The hand thing is... fine whatever, until the you get a shot of someone with the glass finger sticking out their ear. Cannot take that seriously!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Grace :negative:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sadly as soon as anyone in anything says "I go by many names" I jump straight to The Mighty Boosh.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Namedropping Guardians, Eternals and the Celestial Toymaker, Chibnall is having a blast :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was good but the main plot/threat kinda just got wrapped up abruptly and the girl from Aleppo's arc all got resolved off-screen including an outright voice-over like they realized in the edit they'd forgotten to film it.

Unsurprisingly, the best parts were about the companions and their concerns/fears/interactions.

Also next week, nice to see the Doctor wanting to drop in on an old friend :)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

This seasons theme seems to be "Worthy message, delivered with a sledgehammer at the end of the episode", but again, still better than "Accidently giving a lovely message", so I'll take it.

That was a fun episode that I enjoyed, but not a stand out classic or anything.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

SiKboy posted:

Sadly as soon as anyone in anything says "I go by many names" I jump straight to The Mighty Boosh.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Jerusalem posted:

That was good but the main plot/threat kinda just got wrapped up abruptly and the girl from Aleppo's arc all got resolved off-screen including an outright voice-over like they realized in the edit they'd forgotten to film it.

Unsurprisingly, the best parts were about the companions and their concerns/fears/interactions.

Yeah, I enjoyed all the set-up of that (dodgy CGI monster aside) but the resolution was weirdly quick for what seemed like a colossal threat. I'm sure the bogeyman with creepy fingers will scare the bejeezus out of kids though. It was also weirdly nice that Ryan's nightmare was Orphan 55 of all episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seemed to me that the (laudable) goal was to do something about mental illness and how it shouldn't be a stigma, especially with that line from the Doctor about how the hospital in Aleppo was nice but it was a shame how badly they treated people's mental health. But while I'm normally a big fan of subtlety, Ryan's buddy and his issues were way too buried under the nightmare storyline, and the Aleppo girl's felt like they were left on the character bio and never actually put into the script.

The alternative doesn't need to be in-your-face or over-the-top but they gave it way too light a touch I think.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Seemed to me that the (laudable) goal was to do something about mental illness and how it shouldn't be a stigma, especially with that line from the Doctor about how the hospital in Aleppo was nice but it was a shame how badly they treated people's mental health. But while I'm normally a big fan of subtlety, Ryan's buddy and his issues were way too buried under the nightmare storyline, and the Aleppo girl's felt like they were left on the character bio and never actually put into the script.

The alternative doesn't need to be in-your-face or over-the-top but they gave it way too light a touch I think.

I feel that way about all this season's handling of messages. They're just not integrated into the plot. This episode had a load of dialogue about mental illness and overcoming fears, but almost none of the action had anything to do with that. The very small bits that they did were pretty good (I really liked Ryan's conversation with his mate. "You doing alright?" "not really" "you gonna do anything about it?" "not really") but when most of the episode is running round a spaceship and creepy finger dude it doesn't really work when they try and pivot into a Very Serious Message.

The plastic episode wasn't really "about" plastic waste, it was about running around the glove trying to solve a weird mystery. Orphan 55 wasn't "about" climate change, it was about a corrupt holiday resort. It really feels like they've stapled a message onto the end, instead of writing an episode to explore that message.

Look at Rosa or Demons of the Punjab for a better way to do it. The episode is completely immersed in conflict and racism - they didn't make a normal episode, reveal that the badguy was motivated by racism, and then deliver a speech about how racism is bad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1226639499087765506?s=20

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Not sure if this goes in here or not.
It had me excited at first because I thought Eccleston was doing it....but no.

Her Own Bootstraps
Written by Amy Veeres, and performed by Jacob Dudman (who’s voiced several of the modern incarnations of the Doctor before for Big Finish), the story takes listeners back to 1883 on the eve of Krakatoa’s violent eruption in the Sundra Straits, with the Ninth Doctor there to destroy a lethal weapon he liberated from a renegade time-travelling scientist during the Time War.

https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-explains-christopher-eccleston-mystery-new-story/

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Oh, I love Jacob Dudman. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAY-tgKr52s

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OgNar posted:

Not sure if this goes in here or not.
It had me excited at first because I thought Eccleston was doing it....but no.

Her Own Bootstraps
Written by Amy Veeres, and performed by Jacob Dudman (who’s voiced several of the modern incarnations of the Doctor before for Big Finish), the story takes listeners back to 1883 on the eve of Krakatoa’s violent eruption in the Sundra Straits, with the Ninth Doctor there to destroy a lethal weapon he liberated from a renegade time-travelling scientist during the Time War.

https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-explains-christopher-eccleston-mystery-new-story/

Yeah, it's part of Big Finish's Short Trips range

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do like the mislead of generic monster leading to Ancient Gods loving around with things, but yea it did see a bit too quickly wrapped up.

I wasn't sure exactly how the Doctor freed herself. She thought about the Timeless Child and that is a paradox and caused the finger to fail to work?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was kind of meh. The doctor used her force powers to knock the screwdriver out of her pocket into her hands?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Can You Hear Me gifs - click to view:

I really dug the animated bit:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So is next week gonna completely poo poo on the 8/Mary stories?

Guess Chibbers isn't a Big Finish fan like Moffat and RTD...