Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SF must be dancing in the streets lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I’m watching the same work friends who were being passive aggressive about SF in this election saying that now saying that the people who voted for SF are delusional, and if they wanted real left progression they should have voted for Labour. (In between lots of comments about how we need to be “realistic on how we costs free services” Which seems to me be another way of saying “I only want to help people, as long as my standard of living is not in any way effected.”)

I think the message should be, this election saw a huge surge in support for left ideas. So why could Labour not capitalise on that?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Wait, Sinn Fein will be in on negotiating with Boris about Brexit trade deals?

lol

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

I’m watching the same work friends who were being passive aggressive about SF in this election saying that now saying that the people who voted for SF are delusional, and if they wanted real left progression they should have voted for Labour. (In between lots of comments about how we need to be “realistic on how we costs free services” Which seems to me be another way of saying “I only want to help people, as long as my standard of living is not in any way effected.”)

I think the message should be, this election saw a huge surge in support for left ideas. So why could Labour not capitalise on that?

Still being punished for 2011 and Howlin is a complete void of personality.

Standish
May 21, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

You answered your own question :v:

Seriously though, Labour couldn't even manage to vote against appealing the €13 billion Apple tax judgement, that's right, they voted in favour of a 0.005% tax rate for the richest company in the world.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1226537161639518208?s=19

Martin not sounding quite as strident as before

Also

https://twitter.com/fiachkelly/status/1226525013790031872?s=19

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 9, 2020

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also SF's candidate startegy might be hurting them less than expected - they deffo are missing out on cashing in big surges in some seats they already hold to double their reps there but their swing is a lot more nationally uniform than most people expected, some projections putting them at 36 seats

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Standish posted:

You answered your own question :v:

Oh I'm not seeking an answer to the question. I'm saying that it should be one of the questions people ask in the aftermath of this election instead of "don't people know that SF aren't great? Why can't the Irish people just vote for the Center Right again?[/quote]

quote:

Seriously though, Labour couldn't even manage to vote against appealing the €13 billion Apple tax judgement, that's right, they voted in favour of a 0.005% tax rate for the richest company in the world.

In fairness to them, from a legal perspective, I understood why the government was appealing the Apple judgement, and I think it was the right decision.
Apple and other MNC's do enjoy a ridiculously low tax rate, but the metrics that the Court used to come up with that figure were nonsense and ignored the fact that many other European members are allowed use similar business practices to attract MNC's to their countries.
It looked like they court had come to a predetermined decision (Apple needed to pay tax.) and they came up with a justification after the fact. And not that the evidence pointed towards this conclusion.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Michael Lowry tops the polls in Tipperary AGAIN with a surplus

but SF coming second with a pretty heavy downswing for FF

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/AineMcMahon/status/1226595574268514306?s=20

honestly so sad right now. alexa play aphex twin - windowlicker

e: lmao at the Brexit/Kipper accounts who are crowing because they think Leo won't get his seat and their tiny gammon minds cannot handle STV

e2:

https://twitter.com/richiem42/status/1226580145743507457?s=20

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 9, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/Oireachtas_RX/status/1226616409599434760?s=20

sic transit gloria

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

It took Alan Shatter five counts to get elected when FG had their huge bounce back in 2009. I wonder if this is an indication that the knives will come out for Leo.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I fuckin LOVE it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Last place leo lol.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The absolute state of Dublin-bay South, though. My drat landlord voted for Eoghan Murphy

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Danny Healey Rae being re-elected. And see what his response is.

https://twitter.com/cleomurphy64/status/1226579760568000516?s=19

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

Danny Healey Rae being re-elected. And see what his response is.

https://twitter.com/cleomurphy64/status/1226579760568000516?s=19

loving mutant.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Dún Laoghaire might be turning into a bad seat for FG - Richard Boyd Barrett going over the quota by 4k votes after the SF candidate was eliminated means Sol-PBP and the Greens have secured two of the available 4 seats. Only 2 FG candidates and one FF left in the running but FF are edging out the second FG candidate by 20 votes - if the downward surplus transfer from Barrett (which came from SF) favours FF over FG could mean they get squeezed to a single seat here, where they previously won 3.

Would be a pretty big embarrassment

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

it me, the people who not live on the planet.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Doing some brief glancing looks like the SocDem's are competitive for five seats - on track to hold one in Dublin North West, Kildare North and very well placed in Wicklow, Dublin Bay North and Dublin Central (the once and future Gannon) to harvest left transfers

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shoehead posted:

The absolute state of Dublin-bay South, though. My drat landlord voted for Eoghan Murphy

I mean...of loving course they did

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Sad to see Ruth Coppinger lose her seat - she was a good one

However, Goodybe Joan Burton

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Starting to see counting getting adjourned until the morning but finally have the final first count declaration in so final vote share figures confirmed

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

kustomkarkommando posted:

Starting to see counting getting adjourned until the morning but finally have the final first count declaration in so final vote share figures confirmed

lookit that swing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Historically good result for SF yeah?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah - They only got less than 3% consistently before 2002 and only crossed over 10% at the last election in 2016 so massive increase

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

on a somewhat related note, gerry adams definitely ordered some killings back in the day right

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

Yeah - They only got less than 3% consistently before 2002 and only crossed over 10% at the last election in 2016 so massive increase

Was there a historic period where they did better or have they always been very small in the republic?

Also it's slightly funny seeing people (presumably Irish) on twitter fretting about "the party of the IRA" winning so many votes.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

on a somewhat related note, gerry adams definitely ordered some killings back in the day right

Allegedly...

Like how he was "allegedly" an enforcer for the IRA and tortured people...

(Please do not kill me Sinn Fein Overlords)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

V. Illych L. posted:

Fewer than any British PM, more than most people. Probably around the level of a highly suspicious newsagent or a highly benevolent pre-legalization racetrack bookmaker.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Was there a historic period where they did better or have they always been very small in the republic?

Also it's slightly funny seeing people (presumably Irish) on twitter fretting about "the party of the IRA" winning so many votes.

Not since the 20s and it was a different party back then.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Depending on what you mean by Sinn Fein of course. In 1918 they won almost all the seats! But the current party didn't run candidates for the Dail until the 1980s and didn't win their first TD until 1997.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah wikipedia has given me the impression that it is Complicated.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

V. Illych L. posted:

Possibly. There is rumors he was insulated from that as the SF/public face of the IRA.

I wonder how much of him stepping aside as leader helped boost SF. His past was always an easy target for the media. Last election the PSNI arrested him over a Troubles murder which he had said he would come in for questioning if ever requested.

The media still tried hit Mary Lou with as much IRA dirt as they could, but the best connection they could link was that she is a puppet of shadowy IRA figures in the background.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

It took Alan Shatter five counts to get elected when FG had their huge bounce back in 2009. I wonder if this is an indication that the knives will come out for Leo.

Mortifying. First sitting Taoiseach not to win his seat back on first count apparently

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He definitely ordered killings lads

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
Asking as a stupid American: how many candidates "should" Sinn Fein have run, accounting for the fact that polls didn't seem to have them in the "Oh gently caress we might have a chance" zone until last week?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

SporkOfTruth posted:

Asking as a stupid American: how many candidates "should" Sinn Fein have run, accounting for the fact that polls didn't seem to have them in the "Oh gently caress we might have a chance" zone until last week?

I think the conventional wisdom is about 5-6 more TD's in certain constituencies where they did well and they might have been the largest party.

That being said, it could have backfired. As they may well have had some media unsavory candidates who could have scuppered it, and they risked splitting the vote in such a way they could have ended up with less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

SporkOfTruth posted:

I mean they probably fielded enough candidates based on a modest bump, but via their performance now they are probably about 7 candidates shy

Standouts where they only fielded one candidate but pulled huge numbers:

Waterford where they got 20,569 votes with a quota of 10,752
Dublin Bay North where they got 21,344 to a quota of 11,935
Dublin South West where they got 20,077 votes with a quota of 11,261
Dublin Central where they got 11,223 votes with a quota of 6,288
Dublin South Central where they got 17,015 with a quota of 8,659
Dublin North West where they got 14,375 to a quota of 8,097

These are all incumbents as well so they didn't actually gain anything in these seats for their massive massive swings

Also based on the numbers they could have comfortably fielded a third in Donegal - may seem a bit excessive but both candidates where elected on the first count with 9k votes to spare which is more than any non-SF other single candidate polled on first preferences (though lower than combine FF and FG numbers)

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 10, 2020