Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Finally got around to watching The Lighthouse and drat it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Finally got around to watching The Lighthouse and drat it owns

It really does

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I've accepted that Parasite isn't going to win, and my other two favorites weren't nominated (Unsucked Gems and The Lighthouse), so gently caress it give it to Hollywood, that movie a fun chill slice of life anime.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

As long as it's not Joker I'm happy

I'm ecstatic if that happens and also Florence Pugh wins supporting actress. Nobody had a better year imo; Midsommar and Little Women were both incredible

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Joker was artless trash that makes redditors feel cultured. Parasite was a great movie but not nearly as weird as I was told it was going in, which is all I had heard about it that it was trippy but I just thought it was a well acted and shot tragically funny story. The pacing was about the best you'll see in a movie ever, i've only seen this and snowpiercer but both are fantastic movies.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

yea ok posted:

but i had fun

Hell yeah, that's all that matters

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I wasn't that into The Joker and I'm not pretentious enough to call it 'artless trash' but I did like how it at the very least brought a more clear perspective on mental illness than most big movies ever typically would

It doesn't make me feel like a cultured redditor to say that, however

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Strong disagree

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

If you had fun, you won!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I should say more of a focus rather than clear perspective, just couldn't think of how to word it

More movies should focus on things like mental illness and hopefully in the future they'll do a better job of it along with getting the masses to finally understand that mental health is important and the treatment of mental illness is something that shouldn't be ignored

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i don’t really think it’s pretentious to say the king of comedy remade by the hangover guy was hot garbage and making mentally ill people turn into supervillains isn’t really that cool

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

edit: I don't know why i'm being combatitive sorry. glad you enjoyed it, I think the joker character oversaturation in the world just irks me.

Eat My Fuc fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 9, 2020

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Joker was like, fine and unsurprising.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a stupid dumb time and I don’t understand why it’s getting all the praise it does. It’s loving boring.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I wasn't talking to it's realism so much as it was actually focused on for once

There aren't many mainstream movies that will even approach the subject of mental illness

Also like I said I didn't even particularly enjoy the movie I just thought it was interesting that they at least somewhat went for it

Captain Magic posted:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a stupid dumb time and I don’t understand why it’s getting all the praise it does. It’s loving boring.

Agreed and outside of like the final scene where everything gets wild I don't remember any of it because it felt like nothing actually happened. I also feel like for the first time Dicaprio was straight up miscast in something and his movies are usually among my favorites.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 9, 2020

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I liked Joker but would never deign to call it high art. I kinda enjoy when non-Oscarish movies win though, precisely because it makes people who get up their butts about movies mad tbh.

Also I'll go to bat for Joaquin Phoenix's performance any day. I thought he was fantastic.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That's why I can't call it 'artless trash'

Did I think it was a good movie? Not to me, it wasn't. Though I'm probably biased because I don't even like the joker character or any iteration of it with Heath Ledger being the closest I've gotten to enjoying it. But there were a few really good performances in this movie that were way better than they had any right to be and some of it was really well shot so it's not completely without merit. Shame about the rest of it though.

Edit: That being said although I think he was great in it, I don't think it's an Oscar worthy performance.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 9, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I saw Parasite today and it was v good. I think I missed the local showings of Lighthouse. Boo.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

joker sucked my ball sack and my rear end crack!!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

yea ok posted:

joker sucked my ball sack and my rear end crack!!!!

drat they REALLY want that Oscar, huh?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I doubt I'll be watching the Oscars because I'm not as interested in them as I used to be. Plus, I sincerely doubt they'll top what happened last night at the Independent Spirit Awards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPnuXOrBINY

It's no "Love Love Peace Peace" but it's drat good.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i very rarely get out to movies but i saw john wick 3, midsommar, and uncut gems last year and they all rocked

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The John Wick series is some of the most fun you can have watching a modern action movie

John Wick 4 and The Matrix 4 opening on the same day is going to be something to behold

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Joker will win because it will be Hollywood’s middle finger to Marvel.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I played AC:O for some 20 hours and didn’t ever really get super into it but now every so often I will re-download its 78 gigs and feel like I’m accomplishing something without even really playing it.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Joker was surprisingly Eat the Rich, but really cliche and boring. It's all been done.

But, Joaquin was excellent.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Joker will win because it will be Hollywood’s middle finger to Marvel.

Now I want Joker to win

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
wasn’t black panther nominated like last year

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I don't have an opinion on The Joker but I hope Hildur Guðnadóttir wins for her score because Múm are cool & she was in Múm at one point, plus her solo record Mount A is also great. There are not many artists I listen to who get nominated for major awards.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

I don't have an opinion on The Joker but I hope Hildur Guðnadóttir wins for her score because Múm are cool & she was in Múm at one point, plus her solo record Mount A is also great. There are not many artists I listen to who get nominated for major awards.

Mum kicks rear end.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the score was q. good and the best thing about the movie but opn not being nominated fuckin sucks

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I try not to get riled up about movies anymore, just trying to live on island time, ya know? It's why I didn't see that new Star Wars, i didn't wanna get bummed out so I skipped it!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

NienNunb posted:

It's why I didn't see that new Star Wars, i didn't wanna get bummed out so I skipped it!
I dunno if you can handle WWE it was very familiar in the sense of being shoddy and spiteful

Vince has taught me to not grow alarmed at something I would enjoy being spitepooped on

Unrelated but Birds of Prey was fun!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Quitting the Trump Fundraiser is the truest form of self care.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The Academy Awards died for me when they robbed Brokeback Mountain and gave it to the loving abysmal Crash instead because a bunch of old lovely white people went "ew gays"

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My partner and I are so perfect for each other it's rather silly. I'm having a rough night but bouying myself with that thought. She's too good for me but drat will I ever take it.

She's one of a handful of people who doesn't remotely ask me to be something else than what I am in ANYTHING. I feel I have to wear a mask so goddamn often. Like I'm always performing. But not with her.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

My partner and I are so perfect for each other it's rather silly. I'm having a rough night but bouying myself with that thought. She's too good for me but drat will I ever take it.

She's one of a handful of people who doesn't remotely ask me to be something else than what I am in ANYTHING. I feel I have to wear a mask so goddamn often. Like I'm always performing. But not with her.

That's the best feeling in the world, isn't it?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

SamuraiFoochs posted:

:3:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

NienNunb posted:

Quitting the Trump Fundraiser is the truest form of self care.
Ya but I mean I've learned a lesson from seeing media in the hands of a lunatic

You can taste the hack-fraud and your brain doesn't need to digest it

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NienNunb posted:

That's the best feeling in the world, isn't it?

It is and every human should feel that. Unless they're reprehensible or something. But my heart shatters for genuinely good people who give up or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

all the stars are here!!!