Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MomJeans420 posted:

The weird thing is this isn't the first time that's happened re: Tesla removing features from a used car, so I don't know why it's getting so much traction now. To recap, you can purchase a feature for $6k that doesn't exist, if you sell the car to someone else they may remove it, but if you accidentally butt-purchase it from their app (happened a lot in December) they said they weren't able to remove it. After some backlash I think you now have 2 or 3 days to remove it, but a lot of people didn't notice it until they looked at their credit card bill.

I'm sorry - how the gently caress do they justify removing a feature that has already been paid for?
I mean, GM won't come out and remove optional power windows or something if you sell the car. As far as I'm concerned, anything that doesn't have a subscription attached is part of the car from that point forward. The dark side of OTA is it works both ways, I guess. gently caress that noise now and forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Lmao, oh good car features are DLC now. Can't wait for ABS to be an optional software upgrade.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CommieGIR posted:

Can't wait for ABS to be an optional software upgrade.

But on a subscription basis.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

But remember this is what full self driving means now, a non-zero chance of getting from point A to point B with no intervention. I could put a brick on my gas pedal and tape my dog's paws to the steering wheel and there's still a > 0 chance the car gets from point A to point B.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Luxrage posted:

Inside of every big truck is a little truck trying to break free.

https://texoma.craigslist.org/cto/d/sherman-1981-mercedes-benz-380sl/7069048441.html

The Mercedes in this craigslist ad looks like how cars break apart in GTA III

That’s actually reasonably priced. The no title thing is scary though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I'm sorry - how the gently caress do they justify removing a feature that has already been paid for?
I mean, GM won't come out and remove optional power windows or something if you sell the car. As far as I'm concerned, anything that doesn't have a subscription attached is part of the car from that point forward. The dark side of OTA is it works both ways, I guess. gently caress that noise now and forever.
The supposed justification is that it only happened because Tesla purchased the car back from the original buyer. So, the first owner bought it, paid for FSD, then lemon-lawed it back to Tesla. Tesla then resold it, without receiving payment for FSD to a dealer, who sold it to "Alec" while representing that FSD was included.

There isn't really a good analogy to other car features, because cars haven't really worked this way, but I guess it's - somebody bought the car and paid for the nice wheels, tesla bought it back and put the poo poo wheels back on and resold it. Although, in this case, that has to be modified further, because they resold it, then came and swapped the wheels out in the end owner's driveway. Also, it's entirely unclear who actually represented to anybody anything about whether wheels were on the car or not.

Welcome to late stage capitalism!

MomJeans420 posted:

But remember this is what full self driving means now, a non-zero chance of getting from point A to point B with no intervention. I could put a brick on my gas pedal and tape my dog's paws to the steering wheel and there's still a > 0 chance the car gets from point A to point B.

I could say this about my Jeep, too!

Maybe not with MY dog, as she's a little person, but certainly A dog. Ah, heck, even with my dog, it's still non-zero!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 7, 2020

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Lmao, oh good car features are DLC now. Can't wait for ABS to be an optional software upgrade.

Close enough!

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/05/how-a-software-brake-upgrade-won-tesla-a-consumer-reports-endorsement/

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

quote:

"The fact that Tesla engineers were able to slash nearly 20 feet of stopping distance in a couple of days is a sign that there was something fundamentally broken in what they were doing," Abuelsamid concludes. "Given the speed of this update, it's likely that Tesla hasn't even evaluated those other surfaces yet and this may not be the last braking-related update for the Model 3."

You don't say

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Move fast, break things!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

MomJeans420 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9WgtlgGAgs

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Darchangel posted:

Move fast, break brake things!

FTFY

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

At first I thought this was going to be that I crashed my car into a bridge song, which also works

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't this what Boeing essentially did with the 737 Max?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MomJeans420 posted:

Wrong thread?

MomJeans420 posted:

Do we have any specs on it? Is it RWD?

It looks like a Freightliner M2 106 underneath, which would be RWD and have a Cat C7, Cummins ISL or ISB

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Imagined posted:

Isn't this what Boeing essentially did with the 737 Max?

No

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Huh
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/21/business/boeing-safety-features-charge.html

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Still no.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Offering a non-redundant instrument option isn't quite DLC level yet - but it's not exactly responsible, either. Additionally, perhaps Boeing should have loving considered who the operators for those cheap options would be and what the long-term implications might be.
It's not Tesla DLC fuckery, but it certainly killed a bunch more people :haw:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It’s a complete loving disaster but making it out to be a DLC is stupid and oversimplification at best

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol Jesus Christ. Can't wait for the threads ten years from now about how everyone misses their ICE cars :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol Jesus Christ. Can't wait for the threads ten years from now about how everyone misses their ICE cars :v:

People ripping out management systems from RC cars to replace bricked cars.

All that aside the problem isnt EVs. It's this idiotic idea where things are being replaced by subscriptions.
Commodifying ownership through rent seeking.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Looking at the past with rose tinted glasses is the quintessential human experience

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Just wait until the road taxes really start to kick in.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

People ripping out management systems from RC cars to replace bricked cars.

All that aside the problem isnt EVs. It's this idiotic idea where things are being replaced by subscriptions.
Commodifying ownership through rent seeking.

But EVs make it way easier to do it with cars that's the problem.

I don't ever have to worry about monthly payments to keep the cooled seats in my 2011 Lexus.

angryrobots posted:

Looking at the past with rose tinted glasses is the quintessential human experience

Funny, I was just watching an old Pearl Jam concert from like 1991 and the comment with the most likes and replies was along the lines of "Was at that concert in a better time with no cell phones and worrying about getting likes on social media just having a good time."

Guess I'm guilty of wearing the glasses too because I agree

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

You filthy luddite.

Heh, I am too even after being involved in the tech sector my entire life.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I mean that in more of the historical context, there have been many transitions over the years of human history where entire job sectors were created and eroded as new technologies manifested. I didn't mean it in any derogatory way, it just seems to be part of the human experience to resist change at the point it becomes unstoppable.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I don't ever have to worry about monthly payments to keep the cooled seats in my 2011 Lexus.

I not sure what makes you think this problem will remain unique to electric cars.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

angryrobots posted:

I mean that in more of the historical context, there have been many transitions over the years of human history where entire job sectors were created and eroded as new technologies manifested. I didn't mean it in any derogatory way, it just seems to be part of the human experience to resist change at the point it becomes unstoppable.

Oh sure, buggy whips and all...I get it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I not sure what makes you think this problem will remain unique to electric cars.

Yeah like I said. The new Golf will always have the hardware for adaptive cruise control but the function will be a software upgrade that you can purchase later if you wish to. No idea if it will be tied to the car then or if the functionality will be lost when you sell the car.
It's not EVs, it new cars in general that will do that kind of poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't think it will be unique to them, just more widespread and common with EVs because ICE cars will be a thing of the past.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seriously. There are plenty of examples of things in cars that can be enabled/disabled by software. The problem is primarily the DLC/subscription mindset, but it's exacerbated by CONNECTIVITY. If your car can't phone home none of this is an issue. If it can, then this can (and probably will) happen.

Without spending too much mental energy I'm already coming up with several examples in the the EARLY 2000s of "things that you can enable with software/a cable" that need almost no additional hardware and absolutely no additional wiring (because most companies have harnesses that are standard for all options, and just don't add the physical button/sensor/cd changer/whatever. Lots of infotainment features, Boxster "OBC", several auto headlight features........

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 9, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yeah like I said. The new Golf will always have the hardware for adaptive cruise control but the function will be a software upgrade that you can purchase later if you wish to. No idea if it will be tied to the car then or if the functionality will be lost when you sell the car.
It's not EVs, it new cars in general that will do that kind of poo poo.

Software unlock when

Similar to the i3 extra fuel tank capacity / hold battery charge mode

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Funny, I was just watching an old Pearl Jam concert from like 1991 and the comment with the most likes and replies was along the lines of "Was at that concert in a better time with no cell phones and worrying about getting likes on social media just having a good time."

Nothing rose tinted glasses about that. I saw a couple shows recently where phones were banned, and they were amazing. People were just enjoying the music and not staring at it through their phones the whole time. And not having people in front of you constantly block your view. It was so good and I wish more artists did that.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Has anyone in the history of the Solar System ever watched someone else's (or even their own?) phone footage of a concert or fireworks or anything like that? I might be more sympathetic if I thought someone, even the owner, might actually watch them again later, but I seriously doubt it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I always mean to but I can hear myself singing along on the recording and it ruins it. Yeah, I'm that guy.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Imagined posted:

Has anyone in the history of the Solar System ever watched someone else's (or even their own?) phone footage of a concert or fireworks or anything like that? I might be more sympathetic if I thought someone, even the owner, might actually watch them again later, but I seriously doubt it.
I also doubt it and yet we still all have to suffer seeing the first 5 seconds of those videos when youtube suggests the poo poo video for some reason.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

man, PJ was so goddamned good right out the gate. i love their live recordings from the 90s.

idk though, i dont feel like phones really changed concerts that much?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Seriously. There are plenty of examples of things in cars that can be enabled/disabled by software. The problem is primarily the DLC/subscription mindset, but it's exacerbated by CONNECTIVITY. If your car can't phone home none of this is an issue. If it can, then this can (and probably will) happen.

Without spending too much mental energy I'm already coming up with several examples in the the EARLY 2000s of "things that you can enable with software/a cable" that need almost no additional hardware and absolutely no additional wiring (because most companies have harnesses that are standard for all options, and just don't add the physical button/sensor/cd changer/whatever. Lots of infotainment features, Boxster "OBC", several auto headlight features........

Its also exasperated by how Tesla/Musk views car "ownership": You don't own the car, you LICENSE it. This isn't a problem with the BMW i3, Nissan Leaf, etc. Its almost entirely a Tesla only issue.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

angryrobots posted:

The thing is though: The luddites were right
They didnt resist the change of automatic looms since 'RAH CHANGE BAD'. New technologies are generally welcomed.
They resisted the change because they saw the writing on the wall: The places they worked for were going to discard them with no pay or even thanks, and they will not see a single cent of the benefit and profits automation would bring even though it was their labor that allowed the company to implement it.

People are resistant to change that disproportionally does not benefit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I didn't say anything about the Luddites, someone else made that reference.