Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's one of the reasons Blade and Sorcery was the first Steam I ever refunded (the other was it gave me motion sickness like nothing else in VR). Stabbing realistic people made me feel like a monster, especially when they have these terrible looks of terror on their faces when they get grabbed/stabbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Yep, I'm another one who can't play Blade and Sorcery because it feels gut-wrenchingly wrong. It's more surprising that I can play Thrill of the Fight, tbh, considering that I couldn't stomach martial arts back in college.

e: Part of why I like Until you Fall is that it's so arcadey and unreal that I can enjoy the swordfighting without my conscience intervening.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 9, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Corbeau posted:

Yep, I'm another one who can't play Blade and Sorcery because it feels gut-wrenchingly wrong. It's more surprising that I can play Thrill of the Fight, tbh, considering that I couldn't stomach martial arts back in college.

e: Part of why I like Until you Fall is that it's so arcadey and unreal that I can enjoy the swordfighting without my conscience intervening.

I like Thrill of the Fight because I've been using it as cardio, and I can absolutely confirm that I've pushed myself hard enough that I felt like I was going to pass out because I really wanted to punch that other stupid fucker until he stopped moving, which is probably a normal animal emotion, but not something that I'm used to either

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Characters don't show existential terror in Thrill of the Fight, so I don't feel bad for wanting to win.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I can play B&S but as much as I'm a full feminist "women can be combatants" guy in reality, I gotta skew the spawn rates like 90% male so I'm not just murdering dozens of women by sticking knives in their necks and poo poo.

I shudder to think that there are probably pent up screwfly chuds who enjoy the game most with the slider all the way to the other side.

Got Moss (missed the free game error cause I was at work, still seems nice for 20 bucks.) Let my daughter play a bit and it looks lovely but watching it on a flat screen while she looked around gave me motion sickness worse than I've ever had wearing the headset.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Should we be worried that after the initial reveal and then a few interviews, Valve have gone silent on HL:A? I'm no marketing guru, but it would seem sensible to me that after the reveal, which created huge hype and interest, you'd then keep ramping up the promo toward release. Instead....radio silence.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

I can play B&S but as much as I'm a full feminist "women can be combatants" guy in reality, I gotta skew the spawn rates like 90% male so I'm not just murdering dozens of women by sticking knives in their necks and poo poo.

I shudder to think that there are probably pent up screwfly chuds who enjoy the game most with the slider all the way to the other side.

:thunk:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Valve absolutely does not need to hype or even advertise a half life game

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Look call me old fashioned but if I'm gonna butcher a bunch of people, it's gonna be fellahs and not ladies. More likely to have it coming.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

Look call me old fashioned but if I'm gonna butcher a bunch of people, it's gonna be fellahs and not ladies. More likely to have it coming.

I definitely understand the logic behind the people that want the slider all the way to one side.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Owlbear Camus posted:

I skew it toward female because I'm only about as tall as the female characters. A bunch of the male enemies' attacks just swoosh by over my head, I don't even have to duck

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Valve absolutely does not need to hype or even advertise a half life game

Yeah, it's kind of a moot point. Even if the most popular headsets weren't constantly sold out (or plain unavailable), I can't see Valve even attempt to sell physical copies of HL:A.

Doing things like media adverts for HL:A would be a bit weird, if it's a thing you can only buy online, and needed new hardware you only can buy online.

Pretty much all they can do is try to remind anyone whose ever played a HL game that there's a new one coming.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

I skew it toward female because I'm only about as tall as the female characters. A bunch of the male enemies' attacks just swoosh by over my head, I don't even have to duck

As long as you feel a little weird about it, this is forgivable. :colbert:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's one of the reasons Blade and Sorcery was the first Steam I ever refunded (the other was it gave me motion sickness like nothing else in VR). Stabbing realistic people made me feel like a monster, especially when they have these terrible looks of terror on their faces when they get grabbed/stabbed.

That's precisely why I enjoy it so much lmao. They're so shocked this is happening!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Got a bit farther into Boneworks and suddenly two hours went by. Holding a flashlight in one hand and popping head shots with a pistol using the iron sights in the other is so. loving fun. The inventory accessibility and customization puts Walking Dead S&S to shame, although sometimes guns don't 'snap' into their spot when you think they will. Speaking of, the sound when you holster your weapons, reloading, racking guns all feel so good. I also can't believe I'm using regular walking locomotion, and there's jumping and sliding, and I've never once felt sick. Being able to see your legs/feet helps a ton in the platforming parts, maybe that helps.

Also coming from S&S it's so refreshing to not worry about item durability or ammo, being able to experiment and smash & shoot everything really makes the game shine. If i were 13 and played this I would never want to do anything else. Keep your kids away from vr lol

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Taintrunner posted:

That's precisely why I enjoy it so much lmao. They're so shocked this is happening!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Finally sat down and played Moss for myself. Watching the kid play on the flat screen was cute. The effect when youre actually wearing the headset is magical. You're drawn into a whimsical diorama world and the mouse is so well animated and adorable you want to reach out and scritch its ears. And you can.

Based on the first hour or so this is an instant recommend for a chill, seated platforming puzzler and a nice nonviolent charming game for kids and grammas and stuff who wanna try it out.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Lemming posted:

I like Thrill of the Fight because I've been using it as cardio, and I can absolutely confirm that I've pushed myself hard enough that I felt like I was going to pass out because I really wanted to punch that other stupid fucker until he stopped moving, which is probably a normal animal emotion, but not something that I'm used to either
I used to box and it really does capture the same feeling. You start getting winded and throwing increasingly sloppy punches and thinking "Godamnit, why won't you just fall down you son of a bitch." If I fail a Beat Saber song too many times I get bored and quit, but I will keep punching through Thrill of the Fight until I can't move out of sheer rage and desperation.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

Based on the first hour or so this is an instant recommend for a chill, seated platforming puzzler and a nice nonviolent charming game for kids and grammas and stuff who wanna try it out.

I've mentioned this before, but the game is actually much better if you get off the chair and walk around the dioramas. You are not supposed to do this, but it works great, and there are a bunch of hidden stuff I have no idea how you are supposed to find otherwise.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Owlbear Camus posted:

Got Moss (missed the free game error cause I was at work, still seems nice for 20 bucks.) Let my daughter play a bit and it looks lovely but watching it on a flat screen while she looked around gave me motion sickness worse than I've ever had wearing the headset.

I have also attempted to play Moss with my 4 year old like this and had the same experience. She loved looking around and trying to touch stuff, but I just got dizzy.

Instead I pop her into Google Earth where she wants to see grandma’s house.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Does anyone with a Quest and the vive DAS mod use a counterweight? I was playing Walking Dead S&S yesterday for a couple hours and had to stop because my forehead was hurting, I'm thinking I should try a counterweight. What's a good battery pack to shove on the back for when I want to use it cordless?

I also have an Odyssey + and it's so weird how the tracking feels between different games and devices. In Walking Dead S&S, the quest (w/ link cable of course) felt like it had better tracking and it was easier to stab zombies. But when I tried my steam Beat Saber, the tracking felt really bad. It was like if the controllers went out of view they just immediately stopped tracking and I was missing a ton of notes, where when I switched to the odyssey +, Beat Saber was doing fine but then in Walking Dead I was having tracking issues.

I wish I knew someone with a Index so I could take that for a test drive.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Danith posted:

Does anyone with a Quest and the vive DAS mod use a counterweight? I was playing Walking Dead S&S yesterday for a couple hours and had to stop because my forehead was hurting, I'm thinking I should try a counterweight. What's a good battery pack to shove on the back for when I want to use it cordless?

I also have an Odyssey + and it's so weird how the tracking feels between different games and devices. In Walking Dead S&S, the quest (w/ link cable of course) felt like it had better tracking and it was easier to stab zombies. But when I tried my steam Beat Saber, the tracking felt really bad. It was like if the controllers went out of view they just immediately stopped tracking and I was missing a ton of notes, where when I switched to the odyssey +, Beat Saber was doing fine but then in Walking Dead I was having tracking issues.

I wish I knew someone with a Index so I could take that for a test drive.

I have a DAS with a counterweight battery pack and comfort strap on my Quest. The counterweight is still pretty necessary, the comfort strap is a nice to have.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Chin Strap posted:

I have a DAS with a counterweight battery pack and comfort strap on my Quest. The counterweight is still pretty necessary, the comfort strap is a nice to have.

What counter weight and what is the comfort strap?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Could anyone help me test something, in the Oculus app?

Can you try to download, for example, the app 'Cut-Off: Interactive VR Documentary' ? I'm finding the download always stops with an error on the 2.7gb downloaded point. I thought it was a caching problem of my ISP or an issue in the closest CDN from Facebook, but I tried a VPN, from two different locations, and the same happened!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How the gently caress do you hoist up a backpack on your back in H3VR? I managed to do it only once after like 50 attempts.

Also I found this monstrosity:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 10, 2020

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
more random dumb thoughts after I played Walking Dead S&S with my odyssey + for the last hour. God drat odyssey+ is sweltering. Most of the time I had the top half of the lens fogged up, although this is mostly due to the aftermarket thick padding I have as the default padding is poo poo. The heavyness of the controllers and the shape of them makes it hard to keep gripping a weapon for a long time.

I also tried playing walking dead using virtual desktop to steam to my quest while I was downstairs and if that is your only option to play it, I'd say avoid getting it. Moving around was fine but there was enough lag in the controller motion to make stabbing a zombie in the head pretty frustrating. Anyways, I like the game and I'm pretty bad at it. Only at day 5 though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack Trades posted:

How the gently caress do you hoist up a backpack on your back in H3VR? I managed to do it only once after like 50 attempts.

The backpack slot is roughly at the nape of your neck between your shoulders.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's a bit trickier to do with a Rift S or Quest because of that kind of movement can't use the cameras to track. I find I get the best results by making a kind of exaggerated motion over my head. The controller will vibrate slightly when the backpack with stick.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Stick100 posted:

What counter weight and what is the comfort strap?

I just got this combo here https://www.studioformcreative.com/product-page/quest-pro-enthusiast-kit

Although they have a DAS specific strap that would maybe work better with it? I couldn't say.

Counterweight I use is anker powercore 10000 redux.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Managed to fix my Vive wand! :peanut:

One of the ribbon cables was indeed just a teeeensy bit off-center. Incidentally I have a new favourite tool in the Spudger; This thing opens plastic seams like they were never assembled :magical:.

Penpal posted:

literally did this yesterday. my left vive wand's 12 to 3 o'clock was mushy so I had to buy a master craft cell phone repair kit, because my brother had my iFixit kit 😔 there are two or three YouTube videos I cross referenced but it wasn't too hard. This was the shortest video with the best description but I used the trick from this video to actually remedy the mushy trackpad. I ended up using a small piece of pamphlet paper I had laying around because it's a slightly thicker stock than normal paper. The tiny, thin rubber nib that seems to be the problem with a lot of people's mushy touchpads was seated fine in my controller, so I cut the correct shape (shape: very tiny circle) and layed it on top of the nib and closed it up trackpad facing down. Once assembled they both click perfectly.

There's also a video where a woman is fixing her wand and it's obvious they don't do YouTube because it's like 20 minutes, no cuts, and she berates her boyfriend's ability to hold the camera a bunch 🤣 it's actually refreshing how real it is, like finding YouTube recipes uploaded by a Nanna and the person filming is their grandkids or something

makes me want a Joe Pera VR Experience :thunk:

Cheers! Gonna take a look at doing this next while it's opened up. Mine are mushy between the 1-3 and 11-9 ranges. Too much running forward in VRChat, I suspect.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah it's surprisingly tricky; I had more luck with my left hand than my right if that helps at all.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Stupid question, if you connect the Quest to the PC and play games that way will it use your systems capability to power the games (graphic capability) or only the Quest to run them?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Keltar posted:

Stupid question, if you connect the Quest to the PC and play games that way will it use your systems capability to power the games (graphic capability) or only the Quest to run them?

It will use your computer when you enable oculus link turning the quest into a PC HMD that can play basically whatever you have in your Rift/S library or Steam VR, and in my experience it's been working like gangbusters. It's the main reason why the OP and a lot of posters (myself included) share the strong opinion that the addition of Link has all but obsoleted the S in favor of the Quest.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Quest doesn't render any graphics when connected to a PC using Link. It's duties are positional tracking for the headset and controllers, as well as decoding the compressed video stream sent over USB from the PC.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Owlbear Camus posted:

It will use your computer when you enable oculus link turning the quest into a PC HMD that can play basically whatever you have in your Rift/S library or Steam VR, and in my experience it's been working like gangbusters. It's the main reason why the OP and a lot of posters (myself included) share the strong opinion that the addition of Link has all but obsoleted the S in favor of the Quest.

SCheeseman posted:

The Quest doesn't render any graphics when connected to a PC using Link. It's duties are positional tracking for the headset and controllers, as well as decoding the compressed video stream sent over USB from the PC.

I think that pretty much clenches me getting the Quest then. Any additions to it should get? Besides the cable that is.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's expensive, but the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap with some 3D printed adapters is a significant comfort and audio quality improvement. Don't let the 3D printing part scare you off as getting something printed by a third party through a service like Treatstock is very easy, though if you know someone locally with a 3D printer that would of course be cheaper.

Some also recommend a counterweight, like a 10000mah battery, strapped to the rear as a counterbalance and a way to extend the battery life of the Quest a few hours. This works better with a rigid headstrap like the DAS, but you can attach one to the stock strap as well.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 11, 2020

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Also to note you can play wirelslessly from your pc with Virtual Desktop too. It works good enough for things like Boneworks.

I found Beat Saber easy enough to use as well. Not sure what it would be like on expert+ levels but I'm too much of a goober to even get part way through a song on it natively.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

It's expensive, but the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap with some 3D printed adapters is a significant comfort and audio quality improvement. Don't let the 3D printing part scare you off as getting something printed by a third party through a service like Treatstock is very easy, though if you know someone locally with a 3D printer that would of course be cheaper.

Some also recommend a counterweight, like a 10000mah battery, strapped to the rear as a counterbalance and a way to extend the battery life of the Quest a few hours. This works better with a rigid headstrap like the DAS, but you can attach one to the stock strap as well.

There's now a third-party battery accessory for the Quest that is specifically designed to mount on the back and act as a counterweight. It's called the VR Power and made by Rebuff Reality.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd love a vive DAS for my Quest, but they are pretty much impossible to find at anything close to a reasonable price. Even the used ones are going for stupid money. I'd love to be proven wrong if anyone has a source for them.

e: well poo poo, nm... looks like they are back in stock at the above link :dance:

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Fuuuck my computer comes to a screeching halt at like 10fps on the warehouse level of Boneworks. Looks like I have to upgrade from this 970 sooner than I wanted. I might as well get ready for HL:A, but I was hoping to keep the 970 until Cyberpunk came out. Probably for the best, when I'm in an Oculus game and pop an achievement it brings me to about 10fps until the stupid notification goes away :classiclol:

Does Steam still publish their hardware stats? I'm curious if most people are still rocking this ancient card.