Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

After what we saw in the other timeline, staying at arm's length from this thing is probably the best option.

quote:

“I’m going to throw the bottle,” you decide. “Maybe it’s filled with invisible gas or something.”

You toss the bottle into the center of the pulsating mass.

The blob surrounds the bottle. After a second there’s a muffled thud. The yellow mass heaves and bubbles.

“It worked!” Jordan cries. “You killed it!”

“Yes!” Katy exclaims. “What an awesome shot! You are –“

“Quiet,” you interrupt. You’re trying to hear whether the blob is still breathing. But your friends are talking too much – blah, blah, blah. You can’t hear a thing.

The blob heaves again. Suddenly the bottle shoots out like a rocket. WHAM! It whacks you in the head.

“OOOOHHH,” you moan, sliding to the spongy ground.

That’s the last thing you remember – until you wake up feeling wonderful. The heaviness is gone. You sniff in a deep breath of greenish-yellow mist. Mmm, does it smell good!

You stretch your slimy yellow body happily. Oh, well, you think. So you became a blob after all. It’s not so bad. You don’t have to eat. Or sleep. Or even talk to your friends. No more blah, blah, blah.

From now on it’s just blob, blob, blob!

THE END

...Well, at least we were unconscious this time.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Red Level Map
Empty Bottle

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Stuck with a massive repair bill after digging our way through the VR machine.
Fed to a litter of Abominable Ice Puppies.
Escaped the virtual world, but swapped bodies with Andy in the process.
Accidentally caused a cave-in with a magnifying glass and a compass.
Forced to serve snowballs for an ice-tennis game for a hundred years.
Squashed under the falling corpse of a ten-ton pelican.
Stranded in a virtual igloo with a year's supply of blubber-based foodstuffs.
Crashed a snowmobile into the side of a glacier.
De-rezzed into a cloud of pixels after cheating our way through the Ice Maze.
Had our head bitten off by a lizard-man after attacking him with a sword.
Stuck on a three thousand-year flight to Earth after watching our friends gruesomely dissolve into blob monsters.
:siren:Knocked out by a bottle and transformed into a blob monster.:siren:

Achievements
A Touch of Frostbite: Escaped the virtual world and gained the power to freeze anything we touch.
Bonus Level: Survived an optional detour through the Pit of Horrors.

Our options posted:

• Escape through the hatch.
  • Take the stairs to the Garden of Doom.
  • Hide in one of the egg holes.
  • Make a sun hat out of leaves.
  • Try to put the blob into the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Let's see some more fun deaths. Hide in an egg hole!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

this book is weird. Put the blob in the bottle I guess?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Maugrim posted:

Let's see some more fun deaths. Hide in an egg hole!

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Egg hole.

Also, what was up with that ending where it's a three thousand year trip back to Earth? Did the writer forget this part is supposed to be happening inside a simulation?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Shwoo posted:

Egg hole.

Also, what was up with that ending where it's a three thousand year trip back to Earth? Did the writer forget this part is supposed to be happening inside a simulation?

Look, there was a deadline, okay?

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Back from vacation, and I vote for leafy sunhat. I don't see how that can go wrong!

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Um, put blob in bottle?

The part about the three thousand-year trip I personally interpreted as part of the simulation. An excellent trap, if those pesky Vegans ever kidnap humans to act as proxies.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Shwoo posted:

Egg hole.

My personal theory is that Stine was originally going to end that segment with the alien and the blob accidentally pulling us in half, but Scholastic vetoed it and he had to come up with a slightly less violent bad end on the fly. Considering his track record, though, forgetting about the simulation aspect is probably a lot more likely.

quote:

You and your friends agree to climb into the egg holes. There’s barely room for one of you in each hole.

The larva oozes closer. You hesitate only a moment. Then you place your hands on the edge of a hole and pull yourself up.

The giant eggs feel wet and squishy – and they pulse, like a beating heart. They’re covered with a thick, clear goop that has a sickly sweet odor. As you cozy up to the eggs, you feel as if you’re drowning in honey.

The crawling larva inches past your hiding place. Its gray flank bulges into the hole.

You hold your breath. You know it’s blind – but can it sense you somehow? Are you safe?

Then something happens that makes you stop worrying about the monster in the tunnel.

quote:

With a sickening, pulpy sound, the giant eggs around you begin to hatch.

You gasp, horrified, as a dozen gray, eyeless baby insects begin wriggling out of their slimy shells. They’re not yet as big as the giant larva in the tunnel. But they have the same hideous, hungry mouths, filled with rows and rows of tiny, sharp teeth.

There’s nowhere to run. The giant larva is blocking your way out. There’s nowhere to hide.

A dozen mouths open and close, open and close.

These babies are starving. And you know what their first meal will be.

You.

Better close the book now. You don’t want to know what happens next. Let’s just say you’ve come to an egg-stremely disgusting

END.

Show of hands, who didn't see that one coming?

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Red Level Map

Bad Endings
Stuck on a three thousand-year flight to Earth after watching our friends gruesomely dissolve into blob monsters.
Knocked out by a bottle and transformed into a blob monster.
:siren:Crawled into an egg hole and got eaten by freshly-hatched giant ant larvae.:siren:

Achievements
A Touch of Frostbite: Escaped the virtual world and gained the power to freeze anything we touch.

Our options posted:

• Try to put the blob into the bottle.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm consistently surprised with just what he can get away with, this is dark.

Why don't you just put the whole blob in the bottle, Superman?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Leafy sunhat

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

rudecyrus posted:

Leafy sunhat

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Use the bottle as it's intended

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Use the bottle.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

rudecyrus posted:

Leafy sunhat

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Use the bottle as it's intended

come on and do this already, ya dumb kid!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Alright, into the hypercu-, I mean bottle you go blobby.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Storing living things in tiny glass bottles is a time-honored video game tradition! If anything, we should be grateful the Vegans gave us this one for free instead of making us win some bullshit minigame for it.

quote:

“I’m going to try Katy’s idea,” you announce. You lean down, holding the bottle out toward the blob.

To your surprise, the blob starts to flow into the bottle.

“No way!” Jordan gasps in surprise.

“I told you!” Katy exclaims.

You can’t believe your eyes. But the blob continues to flow inside the bottle. How can something so big fit into such a tiny container?

In a few moments, the entire blob is inside the bottle.

“It worked!” Katy cries. “We won!”

Jordan snorts. “If we won, how come we’re still on this planet? The Vegan said we’d return to the game center.”

“Yeah,” you agree. You gaze at the bottle and think.

You’ve captured the alien blob. But there must be something more to the game. Something else you’re supposed to do.

“Let me see it,” Katy asks. She takes the bottle and peers in. “It smells like lemon custard,” she announces.

“Hey!” You snap your fingers. “Maybe that’s the answer!”

quote:

Katy stares at you. “Maybe what is the answer?”

“Look. Somehow, we have to get rid of this blob, right?” you say to your friends. “I mean, how else can we get back to the Vegans? Now, the blob looks like food. It smells like food.”

“Hold on!” Jordan makes a face. “If you’re going to say what I think you’re going to say – don’t.”

“What are you going to say?” Katy wants to know.

“It’s the only thing that makes sense,” you argue.

“WILL YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT?” Katy shouts. Her face is red. “What makes sense? How can we win?”

You take a deep breath. “We have to eat the blob.”

“Eww! Gross!” Katy cries. “I wish you hadn’t told me that. I think I’m going to barf.”

“It makes me want to hurl too,” you admit. “But it might be our only way out of here!”

quote:

“I’ll go first,” you volunteer briefly. You take a deep breath and dip a finger into the bottle.

It comes out covered with slimy yellow goo.

Do you really dare taste it?

Your hand shakes as you lick your finger.

For just a moment, you feel like throwing up. Then you swallow. “Hey, it’s sort of... good!” you tell your friends. “It really does taste like lemon custard!”

You pour a little of the goo into Katy’s palm. Her doubtful expression vanishes after her first taste. “Yum!” she cries.

You and your friends pass the bottle around. In only a few moments it’s empty. You run your fingers around the rim and lick off the last sweet drops.

WHISSSSSSSH! A strong wind begins to blow. It sweeps the greenish-yellow mist away. When the wind dies down, you find yourselves back in the Vegan game room.

If you haven't yet completed the Red level, go to PAGE 95.

If you have completed the Red level, begin the Blue level on PAGE 104.

It should go without saying that choosing the first option just takes us to the start of the Red level.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Red Level Map
:siren:Empty Bottle (Slightly Used):siren:

Bad Endings
Crawled into an egg hole and got eaten by freshly-hatched giant ant larvae.

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Begin the Blue level.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Blue level.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Sunhat.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm surprised we didn't even get the option to do the suicidally stupid thing which turned out to be the right answer.

Blue level.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Yo listen up, here's the story
About a little kid that goes to a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees is just blue
Like him, inside and outside
Blue his war with some blue little vegans
And a blue sun hat
And everything is blue for him
And himself and everybody around
'Cause he ain't got nobody to ghostwrite

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Uh... Blue da ba dee?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Derek Jarman’s Blue, as written by R.L. Stine.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Still looking for a nice alien hat to wear in the sun.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Looks like we're moving on to the final level!

quote:

“Amazing!” the Vegan says. “You won both the Yellow level and the Red level. No one has ever done that before.”

“What about the Blue level?” you ask. “Has anyone ever won that?”

The Vegan shakes both its heads sadly. “Alas, no Vegan has ever tried it. You will be the first. All I know about it is that it is a battle of wits between you and the Arcturans.”

“You mean all we have to do is outsmart a bunch of aliens?” Jordan asks. He laughs. “Piece of cake!”

The Vegan looks quite annoyed. “I think you’ll find it quite a challenge,” it snaps. “The Arcturans are the most intelligent race in the galaxy. No one has ever outwitted them.”

Jordan gulps.

“The final level takes place in reality. Step through the gateway to Arcturus,” the Vegan orders.

It leads you to a large doorway that throbs with blue energy. Crackling sparks fly from the doorframe. The electricity is so strong, your hair stands on end.

quote:

You cross through the blue doorway into a large white room. Blue-tinted sunlight streams in from a high window.

At one end of the room stand three small tables. On top of each table is a round glass case, like an upside-down fishbowl.

Inside each case is a big bald head!

“Whoa,” Jordan murmurs.

“Gross,” Katy declares.

You stare at the heads. They look human, but their skin is pale blue. Their eyes are open. But they don’t move or blink.

Are they alive?

“Welcome to Arcturus,” the head with blue eyes pipes.

You jump. Then, summoning your nerve, you approach the heads. “Wh-where are your bodies?” you ask.

“We Arcturans have outgrown the need for bodies. We spend all our time thinking,” the green-eyed head replies. “It gives you a superior smile.”

And then the third, brown-eyed Arcturan asks you a question that totally surprises you.

quote:

The brown-eyed Arcturan gazes at you as if you were an insect. “Are you Martians ready for the game?” it asks.

“Martians?” you blurt out. “There’s no such thing as Martians. We’re from Earth!”

The brown-eyed Arcturan looks shocked. “No such thing?”

“Mars, Earth, it’s all the same to us,” the green-eyed Arcturan says quickly. “The main thing is that you are inferior.”

“I can’t believe how conceited they are!” Katy whispers.

“Maybe the final game won’t be so hard after all,” you whisper back. “If these guys don’t know there’s no intelligent life on Mars, they can’t be as smart as the Vegans told us.”

“We heard that!” the blue-eyed Arcturan snaps. “Forget it. You won’t beat us. The game was designed by our wisest heads. They searched the galaxy for the three most difficult puzzles.”

“We can handle them,” you declare boldly.

“Unlikely.” The green-eyed head yawns. “But if by some miracle you do win, we will end our war with the Vegans and allow you to return to Earth.”

“What if we lose?” Katy asks.

“If you answer even one question incorrectly, you and the Vegans will become our slaves forever!” the third head cries.

“Give us the first challenge,” you say bravely.

quote:

“The first challenge is a test of knowledge,” the first Arcturan tells you. “It is based on a GOOSEBUMPS book we found in one of your time capsules.”

You can’t help smiling. You and your friends have read all the GOOSEBUMPS books. There’s no way you’ll blow this question!

“This is the challenge,” the Arcturan goes on. “In Trapped in Bat Wing Hall, the members of the Horror Club go on a scavenger hunt. Which of the following is not on the list of items to find?
  • one human bone
  • three hairs from a werewolf
  • a straw from a witch’s broom
  • two claws from a bat
  • a piece from a mummy’s bandage?”
Yikes. You bite your lip. That’s a tough one!

If you’ve read Trapped in Bat Wing Hall, you already know the answer. If not, you’ll have to guess.

If the item
not on the list is a human bone, turn to PAGE 12.

If the item is two claws from a bat, turn to PAGE 23.

Hard to believe it's been about two and a half years since we finished Trapped in Bat Wing Hall. Normally this is where I'd go back and edit the text so people can't look up the answer, but I'd have to change pretty much the entire Red Team path, so I can't really do anything except politely ask everyone to play fair.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Red Level Map
Empty Bottle (Slightly Used)

Bad Endings

Achievements

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Two claws from a bat

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't remember it at all so bat claws

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I don't remember any bats so two claws of a bat.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
No clue but everyone is voting bat so human bone.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Maugrim posted:

No clue but everyone is voting bat so human bone.

This is a brilliant play, because if you're right, you get to play Cassandra, and if you're wrong you get to enjoy being a contrarian, which is to say: I also vote human bone.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bat Claws based purely on the logic that if these Futurama rejects don't know that Earth has life on it then they don't know what humans are so they can't know about human bones.

This logic is stupid, farcical, wouldn't apply in this case, and even if it did doesn't hold up to casual scrutiny, but I don't respect these bozos enough to care.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Omnicrom posted:

Bat Claws based purely on the logic that if these Futurama rejects don't know that Earth has life on it then they don't know what humans are so they can't know about human bones.

This logic is stupid, farcical, wouldn't apply in this case, and even if it did doesn't hold up to casual scrutiny, but I don't respect these bozos enough to care.

It's as good a reason as any!

quote:

You know the answer to that question. “The bats’ claws weren’t on the list,” you declare confidently.

For a moment, all three heads just stare at you.

“I don’t believe it!” the blue-eyed Arcturan cries at last.

“What? You’re not saying I’m wrong, are you?” you ask.

“No!” the creature snaps. “You’re right. That’s what I don’t believe. How could someone with a head as puny as yours be right about anything?” Its mouth turns down in a frown.

“Our heads are just the right size!” Katy cries indignantly.

“Yeah. And we’re ready for the next challenge,” you add.

The Arcturan smiles nastily. “The next challenge is a difficult math problem. I’m sure you Earthlings can’t possibly figure it out.”

“We just might surprise you,” Jordan boasts.

The Arcturan rolls its blue eyes. “I doubt it.”

The wall behind the three Arcturan heads lights up. In blue writing, the challenge appears.

quote:

8 1 6
3 _ 7
4 9 2

“This is a magic square, made of the numbers one through nine,” the green-eyed Arcturan tells you. “All the numbers across, down, and diagonally should add up to the same thing – fifteen. But the number in the center is missing.” The Arcturan cackles. “Here’s the challenge: what is the missing number?”

You gnaw on a fingernail. Math was never your best subject.

But you’re better at it than Katy or Jordan.

It’s up to you.

You gaze at the magic square. Then you whisper briefly to Katy and Jordan.

“Sounds good to me,” Jordan declares. “Go for it.”

Go ahead – take your best shot.

If you think the missing number is six, go to PAGE 128.

If you think it's five, turn to PAGE 102.

If you get this one wrong, you're either picking answers at random or deliberately trying to get a bad end.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Red Level Map
Empty Bottle (Slightly Used)

Bad Endings

Achievements

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Five, I guess.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Seriously? Five.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rebonack7 posted:

If you get this one wrong, you're either picking answers at random or deliberately trying to get a bad end.

How dare you make such unfounded assumptions! Six :v:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
One, two, eight, Tuesday... six!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I disrespect these morons enough to go with Five to be rid of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Five, because come on.