Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Here's my WW du jour:

Super Blond Galaxy Girl, LP title was "Cosmos Mariner". Electronic dance music from the late nineties, I know I acquired the CD when I was a manager of a used CD store from 1998-2000. I found their Myspace (lol) which at least told me they're from LA, and a Facebook page with nothing on it.

Also this weird as gently caress video, which seems to be someone showing off their toy collection while extremely drunk/high and recording with a potato (do not watch if you get motion sickness) as the album I'm looking for plays tinnily in the background. I... dunno wtf is going on there. Might try hollering at him to see if he's got a copy, but he hasn't been active on YT since last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azlMKwIoGL4

As an amusing aside regarding the "white whale" metaphor: y'know how in cartoons, there's a character fishing and they think they caught something but it turns out to be a boot? Searching for this on eBay informed my innocent gen-x brain that there's apparently a market for Galaxy phone covers with scantily clad blonds on them. "Yeah, I like to jerk it to looking at my cellphone cover" --- what has God wrought? They aren't even celebrities, just random blond women probably lifted from IG or FB. I weep.

Like, I didn't even catch a boot, I caught a severed foot covered in Bobbit worms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Wait until you hear about stripper pens

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

Wait until you hear about stripper pens

Yeah, but those are a cutesy novelty item. Heck, I had one back in the day, dude's speedos came off when you turned the pen over. I just can't imagine being in some serious context and whipping out my $hundreds phone, everyone around me can see the cheesecake/beefcake on the back as I hold it up to check a message or take a call, and not getting my rear end laughed off.

edit: the difference being, you don't use a stripper pen to sign a bank loan. You DO use a phone in serious situations.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 7, 2020

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I've had a goon made video stuck in my head forever. He was a young, handsome goon and the video was him screwing around at home, mostly talking to the camera.

At one point he takes a tiny flag over to his dad and keeps saying, "THESE COLORS DON'T RUN."

And at another point he just does a close up of Spiderman's face and says, ".......penis"

And also he roleplays a guy who says, "I don't think George Bush knows what he's doing."

tia for finding it for me

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre
in the mid-90s rural south, my sister and i would often pop over to the gas station and buy ice cream cups. i really want to see one of these cups again. to the best of my memory, they:
1. had a pull top
2. were a weird shade of tiffany blue
3. had pretty "old" branding
4. big ol cookie inside

sometimes when i'm high i try to search online for them, but can never turn up a photo. the closest i've come is Hershey's "Cookie in a Cup," but the only branding and photos of those i can find are way too current.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

jimmychoo posted:

in the mid-90s rural south, my sister and i would often pop over to the gas station and buy ice cream cups. i really want to see one of these cups again. to the best of my memory, they:
1. had a pull top
2. were a weird shade of tiffany blue
3. had pretty "old" branding
4. big ol cookie inside

sometimes when i'm high i try to search online for them, but can never turn up a photo. the closest i've come is Hershey's "Cookie in a Cup," but the only branding and photos of those i can find are way too current.

I'm confused - you mean these, right? Did they have both ice cream and a cookie inside? Or just a cookie? -

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre

MorrisBae posted:

I'm confused - you mean these, right? Did they have both ice cream and a cookie inside? Or just a cookie? -

nah, they were different than those, slightly bigger and didn't come with a wooden spoon. both ice cream AND a cookie. those were the days.

re: the closest that i've got is Hershey's Cookie in a Cup; this person's blog entry shows some good pics that are pretty close, though the one i'm looking for was more Oreo-esque. based on that blog post i'm pretty sure it was that brand but i want to find a photo of the old packaging! and the flavor i'm talking about. that's the only thing i can find on the internet about it.

anyway yeah, giant cookie in a cup with ice cream underneath.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There was this candy or gum rather from back in the 90s, 2000s ish? I'd say. It was fruit flavored gum in a skittles esque package. A couple of the flavors were stinkers (the blue somehow managed to taste like the blue porta potty water smells) but for the most part it was some of the juiciest, most flavorful gum I'd ever had.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

There was this candy or gum rather from back in the 90s, 2000s ish? I'd say. It was fruit flavored gum in a skittles esque package. A couple of the flavors were stinkers (the blue somehow managed to taste like the blue porta potty water smells) but for the most part it was some of the juiciest, most flavorful gum I'd ever had.

What's a "Skittles-esque" package? You mean like in a rectangle paper pouch sort of thing? Was the gum in pellets like Skittles, too? And did it have multiple flavors in one pouch?

Was it Chiclets, a la:

?
(no blues in that batch, but I'm just testing the waters)

I also remember a series of gum in mini cartons like these:

Hell, looks like there was a Skittles gum series, as well...

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 7, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Rectangular and I believe red. It wasn't skittles gum

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Rectangular and I believe red. It wasn't skittles gum

The gum with the juice candy center. Before the gushers era. :munch:

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I remember a Dr who book. I never really watched Dr who back then but I remember being confused and the Dr was wrong, somehow. There was something about like, silicate or crystal aliens, and a nuclear reactor of some sort. For whatever reason the disconnect gave me fuckin nightmares.

(I didnt know Dr who was a bunch of different guys back then. It was freaky).

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Knowledgable in classic 1980s synthesizer goons, help a brother out with a stock sound effect that was a given in old ghost story TV specials and the like, especially The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. The cleanest version of what I'm talking about is in the song "Naughty Naughty" by Danger Danger (sound effect lasts from 0:09 to 0:14):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbJWJn8RZdY

What synthesizer made that sound that was so prevalent in the spooky-related 1980s?

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Knowledgable in classic 1980s synthesizer goons, help a brother out with a stock sound effect that was a given in old ghost story TV specials and the like, especially The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. The cleanest version of what I'm talking about is in the song "Naughty Naughty" by Danger Danger (sound effect lasts from 0:09 to 0:14):

What synthesizer made that sound that was so prevalent in the spooky-related 1980s?

It's actually from an instrument, not synthesized.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrukxRVvHwk

E: officially called a "waterphone" (no water is involved)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Sloth Life posted:

I remember a Dr who book. I never really watched Dr who back then but I remember being confused and the Dr was wrong, somehow. There was something about like, silicate or crystal aliens, and a nuclear reactor of some sort. For whatever reason the disconnect gave me fuckin nightmares.

(I didnt know Dr who was a bunch of different guys back then. It was freaky).

The Hand of Fear? It was a tv episode, but they put out novelizations of almost alll of those. It's got a silicate alien that needs radiation to regrow its body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hand_of_Fear

You Are A Elf posted:

My husband and I agree it's something with FM synthesis. He's guessing a Yamaha DX-7, or possibly PPG Wave.

^^^edit: I stand corrected! Now I wanna weld one of those for myself.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 8, 2020

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

JacquelineDempsey posted:

The Hand of Fear? It was a tv episode, but they put out novelizations of almost alll of those. It's got a silicate alien that needs radiation to regrow its body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hand_of_Fear

That's it! Thank you very much it's been bugging me for decades. It all makes sense, Sylvester was the Dr in telly but not in the book.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Example:

Oh poo poo, this is cool as freaking hell. Ever since I was a kid in the '80s, I always assumed and pictured some mulleted dude in a Member's Only jacket pressing a key on a Yamaha keyboard or something to make that sound.

You. You're awesome :hai:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Sloth Life posted:

That's it! Thank you very much it's been bugging me for decades. It all makes sense, Sylvester was the Dr in telly but not in the book.

No worries! I had almost the same exact experience as a kid that you did. I grew up on Tom Baker (hence why Hand of Fear came so readily to mind), then got an illustrated novelization featuring the first Doctor. I was all "...the heck? He's got white hair? And a granddaughter? What is going on?!"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Somebody to love

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Somebody to love

Cosspost from the 'three word thread'?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Example:

This thing is awesome. I wonder whether the sound is inherently creepy or we’re just primed to think so because it’s in so many horror movies?

e: apparently there is actually water in it, I feel betrayed

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 8, 2020

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Obsidianheart posted:

Cosspost from the 'three word thread'?

Works for me

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

You Are A Elf posted:

"What instrument made that weird spooky noise" is a fun rabbit hole to dive into. Since you brought up Ghostbusters I'll crosspost this from the old CD Ghostbusters thread:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've been reading a few GB articles and just learned all about this crazy bitch of a musical instrument:

That's an Ondes Martenot, one of the earliest electronic musical instruments invented by Maurice Martenot in 1928. GB composer Elmer Bernstein used one of them to get the spooky theremin-like noises for the score in the opening library scene.

Here's one in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0aflcF0-ys

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

yeah yeah that's nice and all but can someone help me find this loving Janeen Garofoalo short from 1994 in the drat OP

It might be on this weird French steaming site but I don't speak French and I kind of lost interest. click at your own risk

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe you guys can help but looking for two commercials from 2004 or 2005 that I've never been able to Tra k down again. Would've been on like Comedy Central or ESPN iirc.

1. Commercial one was I believe a car commercial. It was a sedan and the ad featured some really tall basketball players playing a pick up game and then who manage to squeeze into the car comfortably.

2. All I remember is that it had the Soup Dragons song "I'm Free" in it.

Thanks for any help

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

JacquelineDempsey posted:

edit: the difference being, you don't use a stripper pen to sign a bank loan. You DO use a phone in serious situations.

I want to sign a check for something big and have the lady on the pen get naked when I flip it. Thank you for the idea.

When I was a toddler, I had a batman cape I wore to the park. It got lost, and everytime I've been back to the same park, I frantically look for it, knowing someone picked it up years ago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Empress Brosephine posted:

I've definitely seen this. Google tells me it was in a Chase Bank commercial, which definitely sounds right. IIRC the commercial talked about how you were "free" to use your points or whatever anywhere, and after saying that, the song kicked in. Youtube doesn't appear to have it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

precision posted:

I've definitely seen this. Google tells me it was in a Chase Bank commercial, which definitely sounds right. IIRC the commercial talked about how you were "free" to use your points or whatever anywhere, and after saying that, the song kicked in. Youtube doesn't appear to have it.

This site has links to four of the ads but they have different covers/remixes and not the Soup Dragons version: http://www.splendad.com/songs/show/153-Im-Free.html

1. Commercial one was I believe a car commercial. It was a sedan and the ad featured some really tall basketball players playing a pick up game and then who manage to squeeze into the car comfortably.

I can't find that exact ad but this company did a ton of ads featuring local sportsmen back in the mid 00s, see if the jingle sounds familiar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6CslpftOe4

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 10, 2020

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Maybe you guys can help but looking for two commercials from 2004 or 2005 that I've never been able to Tra k down again. Would've been on like Comedy Central or ESPN iirc.

Thanks for any help

Hey you reminded me of some mid to late 90s car commercial featuring some small beige sedan being driven aggressively with the tagline or voice over "It's more fun now" and for the life of me I can't google correctly to figure out what it was. Really seemed like a Toyota ad but I dunno.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

bob human being posted:

I want to sign a check for something big and have the lady on the pen get naked when I flip it. Thank you for the idea.

When I was a toddler, I had a batman cape I wore to the park. It got lost, and everytime I've been back to the same park, I frantically look for it, knowing someone picked it up years ago.

Same but a rubber-band catapulted space shuttle with a parachute that my dad launched right into a group of trees in a forest.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think ads get sanctioned to the no archive zone lol. That's a a good memory on it being a chase commercial. Thanks for the help all and I'll keep searching. Those car comedians weren't it but still cool to see

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey, general question for folks looking for ads, what makes you want to rewatch old advertising?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Talking of commercials, there was a late 90s one that as I recall kind of kicked off the trend of putting hip, lesser known bands in commercials. I believe it was a car commercial, and the song was a quiet folk song. The artist was from the 50s or 60s and because of the commercial, they became a much bigger deal than they'd ever been before and suddenly all the music magazines and critics were raving about how unappreciated they'd been - but the artist had died broke and young long before, so it was kind of sad

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey, general question for folks looking for ads, what makes you want to rewatch old advertising?

from the liner notes to The Residents Commercial Album (1980) :

quote:

Point One – Pop Music is mostly a repetition of two types of musical and lyrical phrases: The verse and the chorus.

Point Two: These elements usually repeat three times in a three minute song, the type usually found on Top 40 radio.

Point Three: Cut out the fat, and a pop song is only one minute long. Then, record albums can hold their own Top 40: twenty minutes per side.

Point Four: One minute is also the length of most commercials, and therefore their corresponding jingles.

Point Five: Jingles are the music of America.

It could also be nostalgia for a certain aesthetic, or even just evoking the feeling of a certain place and time in one's life in which a given commercial was something like a briefly-lived but omnipresent backdrop.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

precision posted:

Talking of commercials, there was a late 90s one that as I recall kind of kicked off the trend of putting hip, lesser known bands in commercials. I believe it was a car commercial, and the song was a quiet folk song. The artist was from the 50s or 60s and because of the commercial, they became a much bigger deal than they'd ever been before and suddenly all the music magazines and critics were raving about how unappreciated they'd been - but the artist had died broke and young long before, so it was kind of sad

this is how every branch of hollywood and the media machine works. it creates the material conditions for mental illness to fester, allows a creative to be creative for their brief and brutish life, then they scoop up the rights to all their work upon their death and proceed to milk that poo poo for decades after. happened to philip k dick, he feared a future in which all actual power was held by the hands of a remorseless capitalist machine, and now they're gonna turn his books into lovely movies for the next 120 years.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

precision posted:

I believe you're thinking of "Pink Moon" by Nick Drake, which was used in a Volkswagen commercial in 1999.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Edit: ^^^^ :stare: That's it! How did you find that so fast!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

this is how every branch of hollywood and the media machine works. it creates the material conditions for mental illness to fester, allows a creative to be creative for their brief and brutish life, then they scoop up the rights to all their work upon their death and proceed to milk that poo poo for decades after. happened to philip k dick, he feared a future in which all actual power was held by the hands of a remorseless capitalist machine, and now they're gonna turn his books into lovely movies for the next 120 years.

True, but in Dick's case, the massive amphetamine abuse probably didn't help.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

precision posted:

Edit: ^^^^ :stare: That's it! How did you find that so fast!

I was one of the many people that hadn't heard of Nick Drake until the resurgence of interest in his music that was more or less attributable to that commercial, and I also remember reading a few thinkpieces around that time about whether or not the use of his music in a commercial was ghoulish, given his particular set of circumstances.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Pastry of the Year posted:

from the liner notes to The Residents Commercial Album (1980) :

It could also be nostalgia for a certain aesthetic, or even just evoking the feeling of a certain place and time in one's life in which a given commercial was something like a briefly-lived but omnipresent backdrop.

Ugh, I hadn't ever considered the potential aesthetic power of advertisements, I still kind of mentally process them as anti-culture despite the fact that their memetic nature really is what set the standard for social media and everything else associated with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
I'm looking for an old PC game demo from the late 90's, early 00's. It's a 3D racing game and one of the cars looked kind of like a scorpion--two wheel wells at front and one in the back. It was vaguely post-apocalyptic and it was fun, for what it was. Wanna see if a full version of it ever materialized.