Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Glad to have been so wrong about them picking best picture, I figured old white Hollywood would never do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I ordered Korean fried wings and bought some Soju for the Super Bowl, GUESS I SHOULD HAVE TONIGHT TOO!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Same, I just had this belief that a lot of people who voted for it to win International would feel it easily deserved and would win that and something else can have best picture.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

T Bowl posted:

I ordered Korean fried wings and bought some Soju for the Superbowl, GUESS I SHOULD HAVE TONIGHT TOO!

Why?

Soju is loving terrible.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Saturnalia posted:

And two actors have received an academy award for playing the Joker now (Phoenix deserved it).

Both Heath Ledger and The Dark Knight in general were better than Joker. Joker was a bad movie, friends.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Charlz Guybon posted:

Why?

Soju is loving terrible.

No, it's awesome. Sorry.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

People be talking about how Parasite is the only korean film to ever be nominated for an oscar and I'm here flailing my arms in the general direction of In The Absence

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

T Bowl posted:

No, it's awesome. Sorry.

No he's right. The only selling point in Korea is that it costs a dollar.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Eifert Posting posted:

No he's right. The only selling point in Korea is that it costs a dollar.

I like it, and it's had a mega boom in sales so obviously not everyone agrees.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Saturnalia posted:

And two actors have received an academy award for playing the Joker now (Phoenix deserved it).

I like that he quoted his brother in his speech. :)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Honestly very happy with these wins. Just about every one felt fully deserved

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also it has to be said a huge room full of super rich people cheering for Parasite to the degree where I wonder how a lot of them read it.

Like, Jeff Bezos cannot loving clap that movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Untrustable posted:

It is a fine movie. It's one of those things where if viewed in a bubble, ignoring it's weird rabid fanbase, is a perfectly serviceable film. A bit derivative, it aims high but misses by quite a margin. Worth it for Phoenix's performance.

Who are these mythical Joker stans you speak of? I’ve never encountered one irl or online. I remember lots of handwringing prior to the movies release that it might become some sort of alt-right/incel cultural touchstone, but as far as I’ve seen or read, it came out and basically everyone fell somewhere between “that wasn’t very good” and “that was okay I guess”.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's tradition (barring Suicide Squad) for any Joker movie to be a C+/B- film with a AAA+ performance by da Joker (baby)

Joker 2019 won the correct awards.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also it has to be said a huge room full of super rich people cheering for Parasite to the degree where I wonder how a lot of them read it.

The movie succinctly critiques the capitalist system, but also doesn’t really offer any alternative, which isn’t really the most subversive take in the world.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Surprised they didn’t cut to Bezos during the acceptance speech.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1226748996170838016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ignis posted:

People be talking about how Parasite is the only korean film to ever be nominated for an oscar and I'm here flailing my arms in the general direction of In The Absence

it turns out most people can't remember poo poo that happened just a little while ago and wikipedia causes their phones to go phzzzzbussssssoom and smoke comes out

samsung phone joke too soon?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

To better understand the movie I took BuzzFeed's "Which Parasite character are you?" Quiz.

Turns out
It doesn't matter, we're all worthless and ultimately deserve the deaths that will surely come.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

gently caress yeah Taika. His acknowledgement of traditional land owners was great too

As iffy as the content of Joaquin's acceptance speech was (he "we live in a society"'d us) I really appreciated that - like Bong Joon-ho's - it obviously came from a non-rehearsed place of passion, which is a truthfulness you don't often see on the Oscars stage.

Also managed to convince my fiancee to watch Parasite based on this. She saw the trailer and wouldn't believe it wasn't a scary horror movie, until I said "horror movies don't win Oscars" and that seemed to placate her enough.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1226765991448702976

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jerusalem posted:

No no, La La Land won i.... hang on a second... :aaa:

LMAO

(same thing happened with the Iowa caucus)

Cacator posted:

When was the last time the Palme d'Or winner also won BP? I feel like that hasn't happened in decades unless I'm forgetting something obvious.

Best Picture has never been awarded to a foreign language film before tonight. Academy did a classification change for this years' categories and Parasite is blowing the doors off for the next decade re: the possibility of foreign films getting distribution in the states. Parasite win is an historically big deal.

My Face When posted:

Editing pick for me is 1917.

1917 taking the win for editing would make even less sense than Bohemian Rhapsody winning editing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

quoting myself

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This year is a legendarily bad 'standardization' year for awards. The only recourse is to cheer for Parasite to win in all nominated categories.

:3:

My dumbperson take is that the Academy is in the process of conservative retrenchment after 6 straight years of multicultural 'drift' towards critically acclaimed smaller projects, and a ton of controversy about best practices and industry abuse. A lot of dirty laundry has been aired in the last 2 years, and stodgy industry types hate that kind of unpredictability. They are addressing multiple perceived threats to their traditional business models, between highly successful upstarts like A24 guiding the conversation of new talent, new technology companies like Netflix spending huge sums on loan, and gigantic reliable studio moneywells like Star Wars, Marvel, and DC currently being in flux or between phases.

Studio and academy insiders are playing the safest political and financial game possible while trying to court new international talent, the only completely undeniable force this year having been the unstoppable cultural crossover success of Parasite, literally saving Neon from the financial netherrealm. Otherwise, art darling A24 was sacrificed entirely this year in order to simplify studio politics for a favorable position of either controlling the terms of Netflix's further involvement in the industry or continuing to shut them out. Since the oscars are all about politics, A24 was just muddying the waters of a fight between much bigger interests.

Of the stuff on offer in the noms Parasite is the only one that deserves to win BP this year.

It's one hell of a film to speak to the moment.

The difference here is that Parasite is a film very much 'of the moment' on this planet (as are mother!, First Reformed, Uncut Gems, etc) whereas back in 2000 Crouching Tiger, ... was more of an international audience fascination with exotic genre exercise.

I know you're not that person, and I don't take you for having bad intentions, but saying Parasite is 'on the nose' is like saying Blazing Saddles is on the nose. When the dude in Parasite breaks the 4th-wall a half dozen times to say "this is so metaphorical" and everybody laughs...it's because they have a shared understanding of the humor that binds us together in this perverse age of capitalist exploitation. If you are the one who's saying 'that's too obvious' instead of laughing then it's actually you who are missing the point. There are elements of Parasite that might as well be a documentary film about living amid the insanity and dissonance of Korean culture right now (or even global culture, since the American President is a loving game show host). Parasite isn't even my favorite film this year, but saying it's too on-the-nose when everybody else actually gets it is basically just saying it demonstrates its point too effectively, which is precisely why it's better than every other film that got nominated this year.

I'm prepared to eat crow wherever I was wrong...but I also feel vindicated, too. I'm still kind of speechless with the outcome tonight. There were a lot of things that got unjustly ignored this year, but in the end some of that fades into the background due to the overwhelming show of force that the motion picture academy put on display in trying to lure Bong Joon-Ho to the states. Something tells me this guy isn't going to stop making class-conscious films anytime soon, so the joke's on them. But they did still manage to keep Netflix on a short leash. Incredible to see Bong Joon-Ho's talent recognized in what is nothing less than an historical moment for international cinema that is LONG overdue. Let's have a toast to all the great international films over the decades that never got this chance. :cheers:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
All you bitches acting surprised that the academy did something right, did you forget that they not only gave best picture to Moonlight but they snatched it out of La La Land’s hands to do so?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

All you bitches acting surprised that the academy did something right, did you forget that they not only gave best picture to Moonlight but they snatched it out of La La Land’s hands to do so?

Best Picture has never been awarded to a foreign language film before tonight. Academy did a classification change for this years' categories and Parasite is blowing the doors off for the next decade re: the possibility of foreign films getting distribution in the states. Parasite win is an historically big deal.

We're acting surprised because it's unprecedented, and worthy of surprise.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The contention was that the academy “did something right for once”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
When you promote an under-appreciated Korean director for years and then one day he wins all the awards you were up for

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

The contention was that the academy “did something right for once”

Fair enough. :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
gently caress, I wish I recorded my party’s reaction when Parasite won, everyone list their minds

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I 100% called this poo poo. At about 8PM without even having seen any of these movies I said to my parents watching the Oscars “I think this is the year they give it to that Korean movie. It’s their chance to show they’re open minded about foreign films since Crouching Tiger got snubbed”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Biggest villain of the night:

Joaquin Phoenix’s meandering speech, or

The guy who dimmed the lights on Parasite’s Best Picture speech

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Whoever is in charge of putting in names for the in memoriam segment. I think Rene Auberjonois should have been up there for MASH at the very least, but it was really bad to leave out Luke Perry considering his last role was in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Nah, let's put in random hairstylists that it's obvious no one knows because the applause goes dead when their name pops up and now it's just real awkward for everyone.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anyone happen to know the last time, if ever, a movie won best picture without having any nominations in the actor categories?

I'm so happy that Parasite won so much but the lack of nominations in the actor categories is definitely a glaring omission, for reasons that are unfortunately really obvious.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oh I figured it out, it was Slumdog Millionaire. I guess that woulda been the obvious answer, huh.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Parasite is going to win both.

Hell yeah I was right about Parasite winning best picture that’s so loving great to wake up and see. Bong!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Biggest villain of the night:

Joaquin Phoenix’s meandering speech, or

The guy who dimmed the lights on Parasite’s Best Picture speech
Zellweger’s speech was much worse

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember there was one year where some movie got nominations in basically every category EXCEPT Best Director, and one of the presenters was talking about what a marvelous achievement the film was and added as an aside,"And best of all, apparently it didn't even have a director!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Was anyone else shocked that Brad Pitt has never won an oscar until last night? I thought he had won multiple times for other films

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Was anyone else shocked that Brad Pitt has never won an oscar until last night? I thought he had won multiple times for other films

He technically won for 12 Years a Slave as a producer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat