Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Weaponized Autism posted:

I think we have more VMs than employees at a relatively small company. We should just give every employee their own server, hand 'em out like Oprah.

I would prefer this over my situation where it has taken IT about three months to raise 5 VMs in Azure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

u brexit ukip it posted:

I would prefer this over my situation where it has taken IT about three months to raise 5 VMs in Azure.

This is why I laugh at people in my org who think that moving to the cloud would make us more nimble. Sure, our process for getting new VMs from our on-prem setup could be better. Sure, when you go to the cloud, it's instant gratification. For us, that would last until the first bill came due. Then it would be "any increase in cloud resources requires approval from the director of cloud cost control" and a whole new sucky request process. If you don't have employees you can trust to be sensible, and a willingness to delegate authority to them, then changing infrastructure cannot save you.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Zorak of Michigan posted:

This is why I laugh at people in my org who think that moving to the cloud would make us more nimble. Sure, our process for getting new VMs from our on-prem setup could be better. Sure, when you go to the cloud, it's instant gratification. For us, that would last until the first bill came due. Then it would be "any increase in cloud resources requires approval from the director of cloud cost control" and a whole new sucky request process. If you don't have employees you can trust to be sensible, and a willingness to delegate authority to them, then changing infrastructure cannot save you.

Ask me about how we spun up a fuckton of EC2 instances for a promotion and then forgot about them for 2 years.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sickening posted:

If you know enough to say it’s built poorly then build one properly.
You seem to be assuming that someone would have to know how to build one properly to identify one built poorly.

I know nothing about how to build a bridge, but if I go under an overpass that just opened and see chunks of concrete littering the road with rebar exposed above, I can be pretty confident that it wasn't built right and would certainly not use it.

Of course there could be plenty of things wrong that would require an expert in the field to identify, but not all flaws are subtle. Sometimes something is so janky that it tales little to no specialized knowledge to see it.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Today is the deadline we have given people for upgrading their old Win 7 computers to Win 10. We have been fighting for MONTHS to get people to either run the upgrade following our instructions, or to schedule a time for one of us to do it for them.

Now I am making a list of people who have ignored our every communication... and come monday morning, I get to use our AV system to lock their systems down and give them a message saying "We told you this was going to happen, bring this to IT for an OS upgrade so we can unlock it for you."

I can't wait for the screams.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

chin up everything sucks posted:

I can't wait for the screams.

How could you affect production like this!? :argh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My workplace made the upgrade available for users to schedule themselves in the software portal or whatever, set a deadline for it and after the deadline + short grace period just automatically upgraded everyone.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

spankmeister posted:

My workplace made the upgrade available for users to schedule themselves in the software portal or whatever, set a deadline for it and after the deadline + short grace period just automatically upgraded everyone.

I wish we had that kind of automation set up....

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

We've had that for years and people still completely ignore the option until it makes them do it at 5pm Friday, then act surprised and annoyed they're getting an install they got 2 emails about and multiple warnings the day of.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 8, 2020

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We've been converting people to Win10 in waves, giving them weeks notice and they act like you killed their dog. Other non-IT people send in tickets asking when can they please get it. :unsmith:

The 6-figure developers are the biggest babies about it. The HR people are wanting it the most.

less than three fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 8, 2020

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

chin up everything sucks posted:

Today is the deadline ... Now I am making a list of people who have ignored our every communication... I can't wait for the screams.

This, but with our new MAM deployment. We gave everyone two months. Batch enrolled everyone with documentation, twice-a-week communications, videos, how-tos.

We're at month three now and we still have 10% of the users who haven't migrated. Those of the 10% that eventually switch (after not having e-mail for months wtf) are thrilled to tell me how much the old system was better (it wasn't) and they really wish they didn't have to do this (hence the old system was better).

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
We kind of sweetened the deal with Win 10 deployment with just giving people whole new much more powerful PCs, although it kind of went hand-in-hand of having a requirement for all machines needing to be encrypted as well (older stuff either didn't have TPMs or the version was simply too old).

Once Christmas came around and the office was empty we did a sweep of the old machines and whisked them all away, I think at most we had only two or three people actually need them back for a short time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

LethalGeek posted:

We've had that for years and people still completely ignore the option until it makes them do it at 5pm Friday, then act surprised and annoyed they're getting an install they got 2 emails about and multiple warnings the day of.

Just 2?

Or 2 a day?

It should be 2 a day. Probably more. Definitely more.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have Core 2 Duo's on Windows 10. Works surprisingly well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GreenNight posted:

You must have SSDs in those.

The Win10 angst has done one thing, it's opened the floodgates on replacing old machines. No, two things - groups are actually looking for the money to upgrade to Win10 compatible software. If the vendor has it ready. And if the vendor still exists.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

GreenNight posted:

Same! During my initial testing, I found the most limiting thing with W10 on our C2D machines is the lack of integrated video, which seems to slow it down by getting choppy and offloading that work to the CPU instead. Putting a cheap video card in the machine resolves the issue and lets it run a lot smoother.

We're also SSDing them when practical, but isn't always necessary depending on use-case.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

mllaneza posted:

You must have SSDs in those.

The Win10 angst has done one thing, it's opened the floodgates on replacing old machines. No, two things - groups are actually looking for the money to upgrade to Win10 compatible software. If the vendor has it ready. And if the vendor still exists.

Yes, we put SSD's in every PC in the org. Every single old PC now has an SSD and they run amazingly well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Old hardware with enough RAM in and an SSD can still run surprisingly well - I just replaced my parents' (mobile) Gen 4 i5 NUC which used a CPU from 2013, and it didn't really need replacing I just did it because I had newer hardware available.

I think I'd draw the line at still running Core 2 Duos though.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
A college of mine's wife works for a regional bank.. Their IT department started pushing Windows 10 upgrades to their remote laptops. I don't know what they are doing, but apparently many are complaining that it is taking upwards of 10+ hours for the upgrade to run. His wife's took more than 18 hours to download and execute the upgrade.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Old hardware with enough RAM in and an SSD can still run surprisingly well - I just replaced my parents' (mobile) Gen 4 i5 NUC which used a CPU from 2013, and it didn't really need replacing I just did it because I had newer hardware available.

Core 2 Duo's are running email and a 5250 AS400 session and that's it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They're not putting a local image of the install media rip

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

stevewm posted:

A college of mine's wife works for a regional bank.. Their IT department started pushing Windows 10 upgrades to their remote laptops. I don't know what they are doing, but apparently many are complaining that it is taking upwards of 10+ hours for the upgrade to run. His wife's took more than 18 hours to download and execute the upgrade.

Probably some policy of you can't talk to microsoft for updates and no neat way (like SCCM distribution points) to get the image closer to them. Force that whole download through the VPN which either can't support it or traffic shapes the gently caress out of it and you end up in this nightmare.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Ancient mainframe technology, still making ancient huge profits!

I wonder if there are any mainframe gurus up in this thread. Usually I'm reading through the sysadmin, desktop engineering and support stuff here, but don't usually see a post about whatever insane mainframe necromancy stories are going on

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

GreenNight posted:

The only Core 2 Duo I have left that's still running is hosting our door access control software. I'm waiting for the day that thing finally dies and we're forced to upgrade to a controller/software suite made this century.

Oh who am I kidding. I'll be forced to fix it or somehow shoehorn it onto a new system without vendor support. :suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's not really an AS400, that's just what we call it. The hardware is all new and under support. iSeries, maybe? That's not my side of IT.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

My laptop is an x220 with a second gen i5 and 8gb ram running windows 10 on an SSD and it's glorious.
Core 2 duo though... Yeah that's a tough sell.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Renegret posted:

Just 2?

Or 2 a day?

It should be 2 a day. Probably more. Definitely more.

IT got yelled at in the past for sending too many notices. It's almost like these people are emotionally children.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

LethalGeek posted:

IT got yelled at in the past for sending too many notices. It's almost like these people are emotionally children.

lol people are such babies over email

Every so often I need to purge my rules because if I'm on an annoying chain I shouldn't be in, I just make a new rule to delete everything new in that chain instead of reply alling to complain. Boom, done. Or I just ignore it. gently caress, I ignore enough as it is.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

LethalGeek posted:

My favorite was when one of the guys at work told me, to my face, in an all-hands, that if an email came tagged with IT or came directly from me, he just trashed it without reading it.

gently caress you, Fred.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Did you disable his email account? I would have been hard pushed to restrain myself from it were I in that situation.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Put a local GPO on his computer with an obnoxious wallpaper, and insist on communicating the problem only in email until you fix the "glitch"

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Oh, I regularly trolled Fred for funsies. He was a crabby old man with a wheezy pug and a taxidermy hobby, so he was an easy mark.

He also used to pay me to tune up his personal laptop in cases of beer, so he's not entirely bad.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
At fifty dollars an hour four hour minimum, you can buy plenty of beer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My favorite is people who refuse to shut their computers down.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

iospace posted:

Oh GOD. Speaking of that job. I used to send out an alert when I did Exchange updates after hours, because it was easier than waking up to 50 calls asking why the internet was down, only to find out Outlook went offline and they didn't remember what I told them to do to fix it the last Patch Tuesday...s.

So I get a phone call at 5am from my boss, screaming that the internet is down. I'm halfway to the office, still clad in fight shorts and a hoodie because gently caress you if you want me to respond to an emergency in work clothes before loving dawn, when I realize we have IP phones, and she called me from her desk phone. Also, none of my alarms had gone off.

By the time I get in the door, I remember I'd done my server patching the night before. Walk up to her computer, ignoring her screaming in my ear that I'm incompetent and a fuckup and she can't believe they still employ me because I never get things right, and I calmly right click on the word "Offline" at the bottom of Outlook.

"Remember last month, when I told you to check for the, 'Outlook is Offline' checkbox?" I unchecked the box. Her inbox slammed full of email immediately. "Also, if the phones are up and you can get to a website like the local newspaper's, there's nothing wrong with the internet." I scrolled down to the email I'd sent the day before, which was still in her inbox, and had been marked as read. "I see you read my email about turning your computer off last night for patching. I'm assuming you left it on?"

She spluttered something, and I just turned around and walked out of the room. "I'm out sick for the rest of the day," turned my phone off in front of her, and drove home.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't care how "and the name of that boss was Albert Einstein" they sound, stories like that sustain me

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

iospace posted:

Administrators that trust users to log off when someone not logging off fucks the whole deployment and it's possible to force users off is worse. Last week a client had a production outage for over two hours because of that. Thankfully I keep my microphone muted by default when I'm on conference calls because I started laughing at the admin whose response to "were people still logged in?" was "I told them to log off."

This isn't to invalidate the previous story, just my most recent experience.

E: who the gently caress is scraeming "LOG OFF" at my cubicle. show yourself, coward. i will never log off

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 11, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

iospace posted:

Are we really going to have that discussion again? :v:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Wibla posted:

Are we really going to have that discussion again? :v:

"I rebooted last week!"
"Then why does your computer report 372 days of uptime?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU