Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Ya that's the one pic I saw coming up on searches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sad fact: Voyager's mess hall is ten-forward with the windows turned upside down.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

What did they use the 2 foot one for?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Distant shots. The 6-footer was so big they couldn't use it for some motion control shots because the camera couldn't get far enough away from the model on the motion control rig. If you want the ship zooming off into the distance it's not very impressive if it only ends up three feet from the camera.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
What was the one they modified into the Galaxy-X? The 4ft one? Because I know that whatever one it was was like permanently damaged by the process and they couldn't remove the phaser add ons to the nacelles so that when it showed up on DS9 it still had them on.

Same with the Enterprise-B, I think. They converted the Excelsior filming model into the B, and they glued the add ons for the Nexus sequence so hard that they couldn't remove them again without damaging the model so they left them in place and reused it for DS9 as is too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Literally who cares, the All Good Things Galaxy refit was embarrassing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I love how over the top dumb it was though :allears:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Arglebargle III posted:

"Maybe that's why he told us. Knowing what happens in that future allows us to change things now, so that some things never happen."

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Lizard Combatant posted:

Agreed. I wanna know what he's been doing for 20 years, poo poo I'd watch that show.

Itd probably be a Hugh-ge disappointment.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

apatheticman posted:

Itd probably be a Hugh-ge disappointment.

We find out he took the last name Jass.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Sorry, I mean Janus. Hugh Janus.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Keeping the focus on what's really important: the sunglasses.

Den of Geek posted:

Though she kept her Vulcan cards hidden, Tomita revealed one delightful secret about Commodore Oh — the origin of her sunglasses in that scene where she sneaks-up behind Alison Pill. Turns out, this was a small Easter egg connected to a very different Jean-Luc; the French filmmaker Jean-Luc Goddard, or, more specifically one actress, Anna Karina, whom Goddard worked with in several famous films like A Woman is a Woman and The Little Solider.

“It was an homage to her. To Anna Karina!” she says with delight. “I’m not sure whose decision was it, Akiva [Goldsman], Michael Chabon? I don’t know. I believe it said in the script that she wore sunglasses in Anna Karina-style. She was one of my favorite actresses, and it was extremely prescient because she passed away a short time later. I was so honored to embody a small part of her style.”

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-trek/285702/star-trek-picard-who-is-commodore-oh

So yeah, sounds to me like they're not actually a cryptic reveal about the Vulcan third eyelid. They just picked a style that they thought would look cool.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Keeping the focus on what's really important: the sunglasses.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-trek/285702/star-trek-picard-who-is-commodore-oh

So yeah, sounds to me like they're not actually a cryptic reveal about the Vulcan third eyelid. They just picked a style that they thought would look cool.

That was my take on it. I mean, not the Goddard thing, but just that they chose to do it because it looked good for the scene.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Phew! Well I'm very relieved it wasn't some silly mirror universe thing.

It certainly gives some creedence to the theory that Jurati's a mole.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 10, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arglebargle III posted:

I still love it in all of its absurdity

It's also one of the best ships in the old Birth of the Federation game

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still love it in all of its absurdity

It's also one of the best ships in the old Birth of the Federation game

If you shaved off those mid-life crisis dad nacelle spoiler fins and the dinky pew pew little cannons bracketing the bridge it would be a passable design for "the Federation kitted this thing out into a dreadnaught to fight the Klingons with" ship. The phase lance under the saucer I can take or leave, but it's kind of cool as poo poo when it drops out of warp and just roasts a motherfucker in mid-flight like it's the Durandal from Xenosaga or something.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how over the top dumb it was though :allears:

Yeah. Like Riker said, they wanted to retire her. I just head-canon that since they were basically done with that ship anyway they used the D as a test-bed for lots of new tech and experiments.

edit: Since it wasn't destroyed at Veridian III I assume that alt-future Ent-D was almost assimilated by the Borg in First Contact as well.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 10, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

I taught myself to love Ent-D. The fact it has OVAL saucer was nauseating.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I taught myself to love Ent-D. The fact it has OVAL saucer was nauseating.

Enterprise C is much nicer, with its beautiful round saucer

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Zutaten posted:

Ah, another disciple

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I loved the E and I'm sad none of the ships we saw over Mars seemed to continue the aesthetic of my big angry spoon

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Zutaten posted:

Yes!

I do like Voyager, Ent-E and any other ships from trek. Ent-D's toadness is what's wrong. It literally looks like a toad with a thin neck and a wide toad head.
ugh

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Autism Sneaks posted:

I loved the E and I'm sad none of the ships we saw over Mars seemed to continue the aesthetic of my big angry spoon

I've got a soft spot for all the post-TNG Federation ships. Sovereign, Akira, Steamrunner, Norway, Saber, Intrepid, Defiant, Prometheus, Nova. I don't care what anyone says, they're all great, even if they all look like shovels or flat irons.

:rip: Norway-class. Showed up for five seconds in First Contact and then died because Foundation Imagining's CG model of it got corrupted beyond recovery.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Yes!

I do like Voyager, Ent-E and any other ships from trek. Ent-D's toadness is what's wrong. It literally looks like a toad with a thin neck and a wide toad head.
ugh

:wrong:

Embrace and welcome your chunky oval-lord, the best Enterprise.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Only contender to Galaxy is Oberth.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone needs to do an AW LAWD HE COMIN meme with the Enterprises.

the enterprise-j looks really cool gently caress all of you

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Only contender to Galaxy is Oberth.

You should be hauled away as garbage!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

Someone needs to do an AW LAWD HE COMIN meme with the Enterprises.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I love my big giant pizza slicer and toothpicks son

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cursed image.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

nine-gear crow posted:

Honestly, since you mentioned it earlier, the Durandal somehow makes more sense to me than the Enterprise-J, despite the pair of detached rotating wings.

Maybe I just liked the Durandal because it had an internal transit system, which makes sense, a city-ship should really have that. Even if transporters exist, one systems failure and your crew is stuck hiking through kilometers of corridors to get anywhere. May as well also have trains just in case.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Delsaber posted:

Honestly, since you mentioned it earlier, the Durandal somehow makes more sense to me than the Enterprise-J, despite the pair of detached rotating wings.

Maybe I just liked the Durandal because it had an internal transit system, which makes sense, a city-ship should really have that. Even if transporters exist, one systems failure and your crew is stuck hiking through kilometers of corridors to get anywhere. May as well also have trains just in case.

I really like the design of a lot of Xenosaga ships, particularly the Durandal and the Dämmerung. If I recall correctly the wings on the Durandal and the weird pinwheel set up the Dämmerung has are supposed to be some kind of artificial gravity counterweight system held in place with force fields or gravity tethers or something. The Dämmerung specifically is such a cool design and concept. I love that moment in Episode I where it zooms in on the pyramid at the top of the ship and then it cuts to Wilhelm's office and you see the Woglinde II flying past the window outside and you realize "holy poo poo, that's where he's been this whole time."

It made me wish Star Trek would do something like that, just have like some Space CEO's big all-windows office at the top of their big giant artificial planet space ship.

God, Xenosaga was a terminally flawed series made up of a lot of really great individual parts.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 10, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SHIELDS UP! WEEB ALERT!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Do star trek fans have literally any room to talk when it comes to weebs

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Trek is firmly grounded in reality. :colbert:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

People are joking when they say they aren't sure if Oh is a Romulan right? Forget the sunglasses for a moment, she was literally giving orders to the undercover Romulan agent about how she should do her undercover Romulan poo poo.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well yeah. All anime is bad. All of star trek is good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There is definitely an overlap on Trek writers and staff who are/were huge weebs.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

marktheando posted:

People are joking when they say they aren't sure if Oh is a Romulan right? Forget the sunglasses for a moment, she was literally giving orders to the undercover Romulan agent about how she should do her undercover Romulan poo poo.

Eh, she could also be a Vulcan collaborator.

Or a Logic Exxxtremist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

marktheando posted:

Leave it to Trekkies to rant and debate about sunglasses for ten pages without discussing the actual plot of the show.