Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the 40K thread:

JackMann posted:

Finished up my suppressors! Just need to finish my landspeeder and I'll be up to 800 points of Iron Hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Here is my first airbrushed miniature, I need a lot of practice still. This has quite a learning curve. I started by covering it in Citadel Corax White, and then I tried to only spray certain parts that needed it, White Scar. I think I got the results I wanted. Having a very hard time with pressure on my compressor. It goes up to 40 and I don't quite understand how to release it down to the pressure I actually want, which is about 20. I was told in the Discord to just release air from the airbrush until I get it down to the desired PSI. Do I do that and then put paint in my airbrush? This is the compressor I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WBT7PTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Here is my first airbrushed miniature, I need a lot of practice still. This has quite a learning curve. I started by covering it in Citadel Corax White, and then I tried to only spray certain parts that needed it, White Scar. I think I got the results I wanted. Having a very hard time with pressure on my compressor. It goes up to 40 and I don't quite understand how to release it down to the pressure I actually want, which is about 20. I was told in the Discord to just release air from the airbrush until I get it down to the desired PSI. Do I do that and then put paint in my airbrush? This is the compressor I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WBT7PTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The black plastic knob above the pressure gauge is the adjuster on your pressure regulator. Turn it to increase or lower your set pressure

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hixson posted:

The black plastic knob above the pressure gauge is the adjuster on your pressure regulator. Turn it to increase or lower your set pressure

Yeah, what people meant by "release air from the airbrush until I get it down to the desired PSI" is to do that AFTER adjusting the knob. To increase the pressure you just turn the knob clockwise. To decrease the pressure you need to turn the knob counterclockwise AND release the pressure that has already built up in the gauge. (I think I got the cw/ccw directions right...) You don't need to release much air, 2 or 3 seconds should be plenty.

Also airbrush newbie protip: use the trigger with your index finger, not your thumb. I had been airbrushing for months until I saw a video that told me this and it massively improved my control over the trigger. I suddenly had enough control to do things besides priming or basecoating. Maybe this is just obvious to most people, or most people have more dexterous thumbs than me, but none of the five or ten newbie airbrushing videos I initially watched said anything about what finger to use.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Remember when you set the pressure on the compressor to hold down the trigger on your airbrush. That's your spraying pressure.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

The Moon Monster posted:

Also airbrush newbie protip: use the trigger with your index finger, not your thumb. I had been airbrushing for months until I saw a video that told me this and it massively improved my control over the trigger. I suddenly had enough control to do things besides priming or basecoating. Maybe this is just obvious to most people, or most people have more dexterous thumbs than me, but none of the five or ten newbie airbrushing videos I initially watched said anything about what finger to use.

Can you describe or take a picture of this thumb-grip? I'm not making GBS threads on you, but I honestly can't picture a way to hold an airbrush where putting your thumb on the trigger is easier than your index finger.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Painted up a mini I'm actually going to be USING for once: My Bugbear monk for my first D&D campaign.

Also, my camera's battery shat the bed, and I broke one of the shittily soldered USB ports on my cheap-rear end photo box, so... Phone camera and workbench lighting it is!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Just some warriors, pretty nice models. The sad thing is GW changes the base size on them at some point to be smaller, so my old ones are on way bigger bases.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Some finished pics of the Carnosaur and Rider I used as the final boss for my D&D campaign

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
have started down the road of painting plastic crack, here's my third one with those magic contrast paints (and the blood one) while i wait for my other stuff to turn up

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Batch painting sure is a slog to get through, turned out okay though I think.

Chunkystyle
Sep 7, 2018
Painted this little cannibal before the holidays. Gotta get back to painting things!

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

Chunkystyle posted:

Painted this little cannibal before the holidays. Gotta get back to painting things!

I love it!
What did you use for the skin?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Question about basing. I am building a British Peninsula Napoleonic army so the uniforms are all pretty bright red and blues on a white undercoat, though the hats are black. Should I make my bases DARK or LIGHT? Being it's Spain I'm thinking it should be lighter, with dirt and some light dried out grass but I've seen armies that makes the base too distracting from the figures (6 to a base).

Chunkystyle
Sep 7, 2018

Wizard posted:

I love it!
What did you use for the skin?

Thanks! It's base of Mournfang brown and death guard green. Then DG green, wash of reiksland fleshade. After that highlighting up with mixes of DG green and deepkin flesh, with some
selectice reikland washes in mix.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Chunkystyle posted:

Reminds me of ‘Saturn Devouring His Son’ by Francisco Goya.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Comstar posted:

Question about basing. I am building a British Peninsula Napoleonic army so the uniforms are all pretty bright red and blues on a white undercoat, though the hats are black. Should I make my bases DARK or LIGHT? Being it's Spain I'm thinking it should be lighter, with dirt and some light dried out grass but I've seen armies that makes the base too distracting from the figures (6 to a base).

I think that light should be fine, it sounds like the miniatures themselves are bright enough that you don't have to worry about it being a problem, as long as you are sticking to more neutral tones for the base. I mean, you could also lean in hard to the brightness and go for a bright green base, just like we all loved in the 90s, but I think general consensus is that wasn't really the best. I would either use a dirt flock with dried grass tufts, or a sandier flock with light green tufts.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Black Is Black posted:

Batch painting sure is a slog to get through, turned out okay though I think.

your entire army makes this sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zZlQ1WSn5U

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

yare yare daze

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Finished up some rabbit minis based on the rabbits found in the margins of medieval manuscripts. First things I've painted in a while, used them as a starter before I jump into painting the 30ish 40k Sisters of Battle minis I just assembled.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

One of the Gwaka'moli Crater Gators Sauruses that I picked up as an early birthday present to myself and finished in probably around 5 hours over the span of the weekend.
Once you snip off the mouthguard they suddenly become a lot cooler and a lot less goofy looking. It made me want the other two as well. Will have to pick those up at some point.

Although next time I’m leaving the arms off because there was a bunch of hard to reach places that I could've avoided with some subassembly.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

nesbit37 posted:

Finished up some rabbit minis based on the rabbits found in the margins of medieval manuscripts. First things I've painted in a while, used them as a starter before I jump into painting the 30ish 40k Sisters of Battle minis I just assembled.

Beasts of Chaos reboot is looking surprisingly adorable. (These are great!)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Psyber Spine posted:

Reminds me of ‘Saturn Devouring His Son’ by Francisco Goya.

I was gonna post the exact same but I didn't know the name of the painting by name so I was gonna have to google for it, thanks

Cooked Auto posted:

One of the Gwaka'moli Crater Gators Sauruses that I picked up as an early birthday present to myself and finished in probably around 5 hours over the span of the weekend.
Once you snip off the mouthguard they suddenly become a lot cooler and a lot less goofy looking. It made me want the other two as well. Will have to pick those up at some point.

Although next time I’m leaving the arms off because there was a bunch of hard to reach places that I could've avoided with some subassembly.

Love the vibrant blue!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

nesbit37 posted:

Where did you get these??

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Verisimilidude posted:

Where did you get these??

Originally kickstarter but they now sell them here:

http://www.skullncrown.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=88

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I've said it before and I'll say it again; The fact that there has never been a Redwall skirmish miniatures game is a drat travesty.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

you ain't looking hard enough, mate

https://www.oathswornminiatures.co.uk/c/4553237/1/burrows-badgers.html

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Painted my first miniature — the OP was very helpful. The hardest part so far is getting the primer on all the underside bits of the mini. I think I need to touch up right in the wing-pit, put some more white in there.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

hollylolly posted:

Painted my first miniature — the OP was very helpful. The hardest part so far is getting the primer on all the underside bits of the mini. I think I need to touch up right in the wing-pit, put some more white in there.

This is adorable! I love the blue and purple on him!

Where is this miniature from?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Dienes posted:

This is adorable! I love the blue and purple on him!

Where is this miniature from?

It’s from The Deck of Many for the Humblewood setting (D&D 5e compatible) they kickstarted. I have a bunch of little woodland creatures and birds to paint. :D

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

Can you describe or take a picture of this thumb-grip? I'm not making GBS threads on you, but I honestly can't picture a way to hold an airbrush where putting your thumb on the trigger is easier than your index finger.

Wrap all 4 fingers around the airbrush with the index finger in front of the hose and the others behind it. Thumb on the trigger. I still find it easier to aim in this position but the lack of trigger control makes it pretty useless for anything but priming.

My mom had trouble getting me to hold eating utensils right, my teacher had trouble getting me to hold a pencil right, and my orchestra teacher had trouble getting me to hold my bow and instrument right, so maybe my brain is just dumb about grasping things, I dunno.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

hollylolly posted:

Good lord, that’s a fantastic first mini! Well done! And you’ll only get better the more you paint!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hollylolly posted:

You're on your way to be a very good painter! :3:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

TotalHell posted:

Good lord, that’s a fantastic first mini! Well done! And you’ll only get better the more you paint!

I said come in! posted:

You're on your way to be a very good painter! :3:

:kiddo: Thank you so much!

I got my second mini done — this one is a monk.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

hollylolly posted:

:kiddo: Thank you so much!

I got my second mini done — this one is a monk.

Infinitely better than my first handful of minis. Looks really good, buddy

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up another Exocrine!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Another great job! How long does it take you to paint something that (looks that) big?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Another great job! How long does it take you to paint something that (looks that) big?

Thanks! About 3 hours for the bug, plus around 45 minutes on the base.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I hate Tyranids as a general rule, but that's a proper good swolebug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

The Moon Monster posted:

Wrap all 4 fingers around the airbrush with the index finger in front of the hose and the others behind it. Thumb on the trigger. I still find it easier to aim in this position but the lack of trigger control makes it pretty useless for anything but priming.

My mom had trouble getting me to hold eating utensils right, my teacher had trouble getting me to hold a pencil right, and my orchestra teacher had trouble getting me to hold my bow and instrument right, so maybe my brain is just dumb about grasping things, I dunno.

Well, again, no judgement. I just don't process things the same way.

FWIW, that'd probably make you a pretty good freehand artist. :shobon: You'd be more inclined to draw or paint using your whole arm, rather than the bad and wrong way of using your fingers and wrist like i do