Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

Actually it was pretending to be an Egyptian.

Which back then actually meant pretending to be Romani

Thanks, 19 Crimes wine!

Thats a great wine! And yeah, now that I look it up, you are right!

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/IbraheemSamirah/status/1224836825048649729?s=20

I think Northam might have said he would veto this, but even so.

I don't think Northam will actually veto it, his balls are held in the hands of unions and black people rn so if he wants to ever be thought of positively he will do what they say. I think in the end, Northam will sign. He was just caremad that the unions were the FIRST to tell him to step down. The real risk is in the Senate tbh. That is why everyone needs to call their VA state senator and scream at them to support this bill.

There are a lot of succdems still in the senate, but they can be persuaded to do the right thing because state politics are much more dependant on appeasing their constituents than national politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/IbraheemSamirah/status/1224836825048649729?s=20

I think Northam might have said he would veto this, but even so.

There's a lot happening in VA but if this is made into law it would be, without a doubt, the biggest win labor has had in the country in decades. Although I would defer to Fancy on exactly what the implications would be. My wife is a teacher so I hope this could lead to them getting a union with teeth and getting better working conditions. Right now she constantly gets sick because the rules about when a child has to be sent home or at least confined to the nurse's office are so poor you usually have at least 2-4 kids per class with visible signs of illness who are sneezing/coughing on everything. And since they're kids they have poor to no hygiene and get everyone else sick. They only get about 10 sick days a year and my wife has a chronic health condition that causes her to use a lot of those days seeing doctors so anything that would help with more sick leave or making sure sick kids aren't infecting everything would be great.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 5, 2020

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1225116745070977024

I didnt even know this was a loving thing. Holy poo poo. If you had a severe disability employers could pay you less than the minimum wage?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1225116745070977024

I didnt even know this was a loving thing. Holy poo poo. If you had a severe disability employers could pay you less than the minimum wage?

Yeah it's pretty common, and the rationales for it are super disgusting, basically "employers are good people who want to hire them as an act of charity but gosh how can they make ends meet if they can't pay them a pittance, you evil liberals don't care that you'll be putting all these disabled people out of work if you force business to pay them a living wage"

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah it's pretty common, and the rationales for it are super disgusting, basically "employers are good people who want to hire them as an act of charity but gosh how can they make ends meet if they can't pay them a pittance, you evil liberals don't care that you'll be putting all these disabled people out of work if you force business to pay them a living wage"

Goddamn that is so loving disgusting and twisted. I feel guilty I didn't know about it, but I am glad it is changing in my state because gently caress you, they deserve a living wage for the work they do for you.

I am ashamed because I used to volunteer with autistic kids and I feel like I should have loving known this was a thing.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1225117313059426306

Labor is just getting ALL THE BILLS this session and it feels loving good

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

friendbot2000 posted:

Goddamn that is so loving disgusting and twisted. I feel guilty I didn't know about it, but I am glad it is changing in my state because gently caress you, they deserve a living wage for the work they do for you.

I am ashamed because I used to volunteer with autistic kids and I feel like I should have loving known this was a thing.

My brother essentially works in a factory masquerading as a charity where he puts together assemblies for things like bug sprayers and science kits and so on. They pay him by the piece. The hourly rate would make a server blush.

This bill improves his quality of life by an order of magnitude.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Lprsti99 posted:

Lee is ours, get your own! :mad:

She lost, but there were actually two Carters running. Next round in April with more turn out, hopefully. Not even sure why they bothered unless they were trying to give it to his widow on name recollection alone and then have her coast in the follow-up.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1225392850348789760

Get in goons, Virginia is getting loving amazing

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1224390446685806593

I was very pleased about this development for environmental reasons. Anything that weakens the HOA's for preventing me from putting solar panels on my goddamn house is a good thing. Also regulations on PFAS toxins in drinking water is a cool and good thing!

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Hyper-local, but there's a minor coal fight being waged in my Indiana county. The board of zoning appeals rejected a coal mine after local residents made a fuss over potential damage to property and business in the area. The board then reversed course later last year and allowed the project to go through. There the matter seemed to rest. Opponents lost, but were at least heard, etc.

However, the sheer fact that a coal mine was temporarily rejected in the first place led to an effort to have the county's authority on the matter removed outright via state legislation. The county commissioners introduced a resolution asking the state to do so at one of their meetings, leading to a fight with the only Democratic commissioner over attempting to pass something like that on a first reading with no chance for public input. As it was a resolution and not an ordinance, it eventually passed over his protest asking for another two weeks to consider.

Now we've had two meetings with a lot of pissed off local residents angry about the process of all that, especially now that their properties are threatened. This being rural Indiana, the opposition is an eclectic mix, mostly conservatives caught between coal worship and property values, but with a few low-key progressives providing research help.

It's a doomed fight, but the Democrat on the board of commissioners is being challenged by a Republican this year and was likely to lose as he's kind of a relic of a bygone era of blue dogs. He usually runs unopposed out of respect for his experience and ties to the community, but would get annihilated by GOP identity voters. However, his stance on this issue seems to have given him some goodwill among a lot of people who would never vote for a Democrat otherwise.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Grammarchist posted:

Hyper-local, but there's a minor coal fight being waged in my Indiana county. The board of zoning appeals rejected a coal mine after local residents made a fuss over potential damage to property and business in the area. The board then reversed course later last year and allowed the project to go through. There the matter seemed to rest. Opponents lost, but were at least heard, etc.

However, the sheer fact that a coal mine was temporarily rejected in the first place led to an effort to have the county's authority on the matter removed outright via state legislation. The county commissioners introduced a resolution asking the state to do so at one of their meetings, leading to a fight with the only Democratic commissioner over attempting to pass something like that on a first reading with no chance for public input. As it was a resolution and not an ordinance, it eventually passed over his protest asking for another two weeks to consider.

Now we've had two meetings with a lot of pissed off local residents angry about the process of all that, especially now that their properties are threatened. This being rural Indiana, the opposition is an eclectic mix, mostly conservatives caught between coal worship and property values, but with a few low-key progressives providing research help.

It's a doomed fight, but the Democrat on the board of commissioners is being challenged by a Republican this year and was likely to lose as he's kind of a relic of a bygone era of blue dogs. He usually runs unopposed out of respect for his experience and ties to the community, but would get annihilated by GOP identity voters. However, his stance on this issue seems to have given him some goodwill among a lot of people who would never vote for a Democrat otherwise.

Is there anything the activist wing of the Goon Squad can do to help?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

friendbot2000 posted:

Is there anything the activist wing of the Goon Squad can do to help?

Thanks, but not really. The only reason the issue has traction is because Trump-supporters (the majority of the area) are the face of it. "Outside agitators" would just let them fall back into familiar battle lines. This is a relatively minor issue, but I thought it was interesting. It's not often you see a MAGA hat complaining about a "swamp" with regard to a coal mine.

Basically, we're seeing a tenuous alliance between environmentalists, tourism advocates and affected conservatives that feel hoodwinked. It's a single issue that might help keep some Democratic representation at the county level, and maybe introduce some conservatives to progressive ideals via organic cooperation. Can't hope for more than that, but it's actually something to hope for.

There is some organized help from an environmental group in a nearby city, but they're wisely keeping a low profile.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/acosta/status/1225789366318047238?s=21

Thread is starting to sound like a broken record on how awesome Virginia has been this legislative session but I’m ok with that :q:

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

The DELUGE OF GOOD BILLS CONTINUES

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1226889752491761670

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1226889696036433921

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1226904697237377026

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1226905796082110464

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1226906284429135872

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 10, 2020

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1226919756747493379

Holy loving poo poo! This is huge!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
lmao that 13 people voted against that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What's really interesting to me is that the balance is 21-19, which means there's a ton of bills that could have passed years ago if not for Hastert rule style policies in State legislatures.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I assume Republicans are only voting for them because they'll pass anyway and you'd have to be a monster to object to them, not that they want them to pass (they're monsters.)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Seattle just passed a bill preventing low income people from being evicted during winter months. Should hopefully keep some people from freezing

Being touted as the first bill of its kind but I don't know if that's an exaggeration or not

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1227041725450985474?s=19

"Alternative meals" means punitive meals btw. Like two pieces of bread and a piece of bologna

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Is there anything to do about the bill in Virginia pushing Applied Behavior Analysis?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

Is there anything to do about the bill in Virginia pushing Applied Behavior Analysis?

Not really. Not should you want to imo. The bill regulates the use of ABA in schools through the Dept of Education and provides more resources towards oversight and accreditation of therapists using it. Furthermore ABA is more an umbrella term for the therapies that are underneath it like PRT(Pivotal Response), The Early Start Denver Model (ESDM), or Discrete Trial Training (DTT). DTT was the OG treatment and has since been updated in recent decades to eliminate the more problematic punitive aspects of it. Now only positive reinforcement is the acceptable practice of DTT. This bill will make sure that is the case because it regulates the use of these therapies under the ABA umbrella so you don't have weirdo evangelicals and Pentecostals doing snakebite rituals to get rid of your child's autism and calling it ABA.

Iirc play therapy falls under the ABA umbrella too

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 11, 2020

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

friendbot2000 posted:

Not really. Not should you want to imo. The bill regulates the use of ABA in schools through the Dept of Education and provides more resources towards oversight and accreditation of therapists using it. Furthermore ABA is more an umbrella term for the therapies that are underneath it like PRT(Pivotal Response), The Early Start Denver Model (ESDM), or Discrete Trial Training (DTT). DTT was the OG treatment and has since been updated in recent decades to eliminate the more problematic punitive aspects of it. Now only positive reinforcement is the acceptable practice of DTT. This bill will make sure that is the case because it regulates the use of these therapies under the ABA umbrella so you don't have weirdo evangelicals and Pentecostals doing snakebite rituals to get rid of your child's autism and calling it ABA.

I know a lot of autistic people who are very unhappy with a lot of what ABA involves and consider it abuse.

Edit: Not actually interested in going into the details of ABA. More interested in finding out what could be done to make sure that the worst parts don't make it into schools.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 11, 2020

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Maera Sior posted:

I know a lot of autistic people who are very unhappy with a lot of what ABA involves and consider it abuse.

Edit: Not actually interested in going into the details of ABA. More interested in finding out what could be done to make sure that the worst parts don't make it into schools.

Passing a bill to regulate it's use and better fund oversight, maybe, as described in the post you quoted.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Pander posted:

Passing a bill to regulate it's use and better fund oversight, maybe, as described in the post you quoted.

Except a lot of stuff that people still do in ABA that doesn't involve physical harm can still be abusive. Just saying that it "regulates" things isn't enough.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Maera Sior posted:

Except a lot of stuff that people still do in ABA that doesn't involve physical harm can still be abusive. Just saying that it "regulates" things isn't enough.

friendbot2000 posted:

Eliminating negative reinforcement seems good! Almost like friendbot acknowledged that there are non-physical harms possible, this legislation acknowledges that, and it seeks to regulate ABA specifically to avoid it!

Like, how many more posts do we need to go down before you just admit this is really about not wanting your taxes to go up to fund local school programs? I don't want to be uncharitable and accuse you of being a dimwit incapable of doing your own research on what the law does, so it has to be some sort of nefarious reason you've twice handwaved that the law is bad without addressing what it does.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I don't think assuming bad faith is warranted. ABA has an extremely bad reputation in the autistic community owing to its decades of use on autistic children in an attempt to prevent them from engaging in behaviors that were perfectly natural and adaptive, such as stimming, or to render those children "indistinguishable" from their neurotypical peers, something which requires enormous amounts of mental energy and stress in even the most ideal case. Given that history, it's completely expected that people in and associated with that community would be disinclined to extend trust to the regulatory and scientific establishment surrounding ABA, and it's on those institutions to earn that trust.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

To those voting in Virginia today, be careful about the people outside polling places with OneVirginia2021.

The constitutional amendment that they are claiming does away with gerrymandering is actually much worse and solidifies republican control over redistricting. The proposed amendment gives Republicans the ability to veto any plan the redistricting commission proposes, which then lets the Republican Virginia Supreme Court make the districts instead.

Listen to delegate Mark Levine

quote:

Unfortunately, the petitions — which go to me — and are signed by people of goodwill who oppose gerrymandering do exactly the opposite. They support a 2019 Republican constitutional amendment proposal to give Republicans control over Virginia district lines forever. So they do the opposite of what the people signing them want done! It’s actually pretty sneaky. And a lot of good people are being fooled. So I’m writing you to sound the alarm and asking you to spread the word.

Mark Levine's take is pretty thorough, but you can find more information about the flawed Virginia constitutional amendment here

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

nonrev posted:

To those voting in Virginia today, be careful about the people outside polling places with OneVirginia2021.

The constitutional amendment that they are claiming does away with gerrymandering is actually much worse and solidifies republican control over redistricting. The proposed amendment gives Republicans the ability to veto any plan the redistricting commission proposes, which then lets the Republican Virginia Supreme Court make the districts instead.

Listen to delegate Mark Levine

Mark Levine's take is pretty thorough, but you can find more information about the flawed Virginia constitutional amendment here

Yeah, I have seen these assholes all over in the past few years

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Was the vote on that today? Because the only choice I had was the presidential nominee. Were they just looking for petition signers?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1235037431801335808?s=20

Wish Dem voters in Massachusetts were as sick of political dynasties too.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
How is Markey versus Kennedy going?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
A poll I saw a couple weeks ago had Kennedy up 35-34. A lot closer than earlier polls that heavily favoured Kennedy.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Was the vote on that today? Because the only choice I had was the presidential nominee. Were they just looking for petition signers?

Just petition signers yesterday at the polls, but it is looking likely the General Assembly might put it on the ballot for November as a Constitutional Amendment. It just got out of the House Privileges and Elections Committee on Monday and will next be voted on by the entire VA house.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/greggiroux/status/1235305270676525060?s=20

He'll probably still lose, but he's the only one who could win this seat.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Ego-bot posted:

Yeah, that's about as good a chance any Dem really has. Maybe he'll get into a fistfight with Greg Gianforte somehow.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Ego-bot posted:

Eh, Montana is a weird state with a strange electorate. He might actually pull it off.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

How do we get more AOCs? What was her strategy? How did she knock down a huge incumbent Democrat? Just canvass non-stop?

Has she shared her playbook for other young progressives?

Also somebody make a goon project thread in gbs: zerg rush local offices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Wasn’t Bullock thinking fo running for POTUS in ‘16? What happened.