Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

holy loving poo poo

Holy moly what a surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Who is this waterfat man

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flakey posted:

Who is this waterfat man

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I can't say I know anything about his politics, but allowing a picture of you reading anything by the Failson and Kevin J Anderson (ugh) should be a great way of tanking your campaign.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

It's a shop you dweebs.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

I stand by my statement :colbert:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Vlex posted:

It's a shop you dweebs.

Year Mayor Pete has been pretty outwardly vocal about only being interested in/reading Tinglers.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

holy loving poo poo

lol all I can see is Mr. Bean

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is that a squashed jimmy fallon

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Horsebanger posted:

There is a fan edit on youtube of the Lynch Dune movie which is long and interesting...

The best fan-edit of Dune is Spicedivers "Alternative Edition redux" (also apparently on YT), which he made after having made two previous fan-edits of Dune and using everything he learned during those previous ones.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Muffdivers edit

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it feels like anime

Dune is extremely anime. Super kung fu, teenage boy protagonist, young children who are mentally 1000y/o, etc.

Look into that place you dare not look, you'll see moe there, staring back at you!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zartosht posted:

Look into that place you dare not look, you'll see moe there, staring back at you!

Boooooo

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

holy loving poo poo

Sanders however strikes me as a Dune Encylcopedia kind of guy.

Zartosht posted:

Dune is extremely anime. Super kung fu, teenage boy protagonist, young children who are mentally 1000y/o, etc.

I was just about to post this. It was knowledge for which I was not ready.
Even the hand in the pain-box scene. "Th-that's impossible! His pain resistance level- it's higher than any I've ever seen!"

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

“I never thought it would be easy to serve God," she said. "I just didn't think he would be such a baka gaijin

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
You just loving know Leto has bored countless majordomos to death by going on and on and loving on about his Hanzo steel collection.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Indiana :: Idaho
Jones :: Duncan

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Dune is bigger than anime.

Besides, Nausicaa was Dune-as-anime.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

phasmid posted:

Dune is bigger than anime.

Besides, Nausicaa was Dune-as-anime.

Somebody repost the nausicaa trailer with Dune 84 trailer sound

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Oh god, can we talk about Nayla orgasming after Duncan climbs the stupid wall in excruciating detail

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Yeah, sure, just don't make it weird

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bubblyblubber posted:

Yeah, sure, just don't make it weird

Yeah, so that part made me laugh out loud. In the audiobook it was delivered dry as gently caress and the end of chapter fade out made it linger.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Oh god, can we talk about Nayla orgasming after Duncan climbs the stupid wall in excruciating detail

yes

Idaho arose while Garun was still talking. There was a clear view of the high Wall from nearby-straight down the central street, a view from the base in the sand to the top in the sunlight. Idaho strode to the corner of the guest house out into the central street. He stopped there, turned and looked at the Wall. The first look told why everyone said it was not possible to climb that face. Even then, he resisted thinking about a measurement of the height. It could be five hundred meters or five thousand. The important thing lay in what a more careful study revealed tiny transverse cracks, broken places, even a narrow ledge about twenty meters above the drifting sand at the bottom . . . and another ledge about two-thirds of the way up the face. He knew that an unconscious part of him, an ancient and dependable part, was making the necessary measurements, scaling them to his own body-so many Duncan-lengths to that place, a handgrip here, another there. His own hands. He could already feel himself climbing. Siona's voice came from near his right shoulder as he stood in that first examination. "What're you doing?" She had come up soundlessly, looking now where he looked. "I can climb that Wall," Idaho said. "If I carried a light rope, I could pull up a heavier rope. The rest of you could climb it easily then." Garun joined them in time to hear this. "Why would you climb the Wall, Duncan Idaho?" Siona answered for him, smiling at Garun. "To provide a suitable greeting for the God Emperor."

This had been before her doubts, before her own eyes and the ignorance of such a climb, had begun to erode that first confidence. With that first elation, Idaho asked: "How wide is the Royal Road up there?" "I have never seen it," Garun said. "But I am told it is very wide. A great troop can march abreast along it, so they say. And there are bridges, places to view the river and . . . and . . . oh, it is a marvel." "Why have you never gone up there to see it yourself?" Idaho asked. Garun merely shrugged and pointed at the Wall. Nayla arrived then and the argument about the climb had begun. Idaho thought about that argument as he climbed. How strange, the relationship between Nayla and Siona! They were like two conspirators . . . yet not conspirators. Siona commanded and Nayla obeyed. But Nayla was a Fish Speaker, the Friend who was trusted by Leto to make a first examination of the new ghola. She admitted that she had been in the Royal Constabulary since childhood. Such strength in her! Given that strength, there was something awesome about the way she bowed to Siona's will. It was as though Nayla listened for secret voices which told her what to do. Then she obeyed.

Idaho groped upward for another handhold. His fingers wriggled along the rock, up and outward to the right, finding at last an unseen crack where they might enter. His memory provided the natural line of ascent, but only his body could learn the way by following that line. His left foot found a toehold. . . up . . . up . . . slowly, testing. Left hand up now . . . no crack but a ledge. His eyes, then his chin lifted over the high ledge he had seen from below. He elbowed his way onto it, rolled over and rested, looking only outward, not up or down. It was a sand horizon out there, a breeze with dust in it limiting the view. He had seen many such horizons in the Dune days. Presently, he turned to face the Wall, lifted himself onto his knees, hands groping upward, and he resumed the climb. The picture of the Wall remained in his mind as he had seen it from below. He had only to close his eyes and the pattern lay there, fixed the way he had learned to do it as a child hiding from Harkonnen slave raiders. Fingertips found a crack where they could be wedged.

He clawed his way upward. Watching from below, Nayla experienced a growing affinity for the climber. Idaho had been reduced by distance to such a small and lonely shape upon the Wall. He must know what it was like to be alone with momentous decisions. l would like to have his child, she thought. A child from both of us would be strong and resourceful. What is it that God wants from a child of Siona and this man? Nayla had awakened before dawn and had walked out to the top of a low dune at the village edge to think about this thing that Idaho proposed. It had been a lime dawn with a familiar winding cloth of dust in the distance, then steel day and the baleful immensity of the Sareer. She knew then that these matters certainly had been anticipated by God. What could be hidden from God? Nothing could be hidden, not even the remote figure of Duncan Idaho groping for a pathway up to the edge of heaven. As she watched Idaho climb, Nayla's mind played a trick on her, tipping the wall to the horizontal. Idaho became a child crawling across a broken surface. How small he looked . . . and growing smaller. An aide offered Nayla water which she drank. The water brought the Wall back into its true perspective. Siona crouched on the first ledge, leaning out to peer up- ward. "If you fall, I will try it," Siona had promised Idaho. Nayla had thought it a strange promise. Why would both of them want to try the impossible?

Idaho had failed to dissuade Siona from the impossible promise. It is fate, Nayla thought. It is God's will. They were the same thing. A bit of rock fell from where Idaho clutched at it. That had happened several times. Nayla watched the falling rock. It took a long time coming down, bounding and rebounding from the Wall's face, demonstrating that the eye did not report truthfully when it said the Wall was sheer. He will succeed or he will not,- Nayla thought. Whatever happens, it is God's will. She could feel her heart hammering, though. Idaho's venture was like sex, she thought. It was not passively erotic, but akin to rare magic in the way it seized her. She had to keep reminding herself that Idaho was not for her. He is for Siona. If he survives. And if he failed, then Siona would try. Siona would succeed or she would not. Nayla wondered, though, if she might experience an orgasm should Idaho reach the top. He was so close to it now.

Idaho took several deep breaths after dislodging the rock. It was a bad moment and he took the time to recover, clinging to a three-point hold on the Wall. Almost of its own accord, his free hand groped upward once more, wriggling past the rotten place into another slender crack. Slowly, he shifted his weight onto that hand. Slowly . . . slowly. His left knee felt the place where a toehold could be achieved. He lifted his foot to that place, tested it. Memory told him the top was near, but he pushed the memory aside. There was only the climb and the knowledge that Leto would arrive tomorrow. Leto and Hwi. He could not think about that, either. But it would not go away. The top . . . Hwi . . . Leto . . . tomorrow . . . Every thought fed his desperation, forced him into the immediate remembrance of the climbs of his childhood. The more he remembered consciously, the more his abilities were blocked. He was forced to pause, breathing deeply in the attempt to center himself, to go back to the natural ways of his past. But were those ways natural? There was a blockage in his mind. He could sense intrusions, a finality . . . the fatality of what might have been and now would never be. Leto would arrive up there tomorrow. Idaho felt perspiration run down his face around the place where he pressed a cheek against the rock. Leto. will defeat you, Leto. I will defeat you for myself, not for Hwi, but only for myself. A sensation of cleansing began to spread through him. It was like the thing which had happened in the night while he prepared himself mentally for this climb. Siona had sensed his sleeplessness. She had begun to talk to him, telling him the smallest details of her desperate run through the Forbidden Forest and her oath at the edge of the river. "Now I have given an oath to command his Fish Speakers," she said. "I will honor that oath, but I hope it will not happen in the way he wants." "What does he want?" Idaho asked. "He has many motives and I cannot see them all. Who could possibly understand him? I only know that I will never forgive him." This memory brought Idaho back to the sensation of the Wall's rock against his cheek. His perspiration had dried in the light breeze and he felt chilled. But he had found his center. Never forgive.

Idaho felt the ghosts of all his other selves, the gholas who had died in Leto's service. Could he believe Siona's suspicions? Yes. Leto was capable of killing with his own body, his own hands. The rumor which Siona recounted had a feeling of truth in it. And Siona, too, was Atreides. Leto had become something else . . . no longer Atreides, not even human. He had become not so much a living creature as a brute fact of nature, opaque and impenetrable, all of his experiences sealed off within him. And Siona opposed him. The real Atreides turned away from him. As I do. A brute fact of nature, nothing more. Just like this Wall. Idaho's right hand groped upward and found a sharp ledge. He could feel nothing above the ledge and tried to remember a wide crack at this place in the pattern. He could not dare to allow himself into the belief that he had reached the top . . . not yet. The sharp edge cut into his fingers as he put his weight on it. He brought his left hand up to that level, found a purchase and pulled himself slowly upward. His eyes reached the level of his hands. He stared across a flat space which reached outward . . . outward into blue sky. The surface where his hands clutched showed ancient weather cracks. He crawled his fingers across that surface, one hand at a time, seeking out the cracks, dragging his chest up . . . his waist . . . his hips. He rolled then, twisting and crawling until the Wall was far behind him. Only then did he stand and tell himself what his senses reported. The top. And he had not required pitons or hammer.

A faint sound reached him. Cheering? He walked back to the edge and looked down, waving to them. Yes, they were cheering. Turning back, he strode to the center of the roadway, letting elation still the trembling of his muscles, soothe the aching of his shoulders. Slowly, he turned full circle, examining the top while he let his memories at last estimate the height of that climb. Nine hundred meters . . . at least that. The Royal Roadway interested him. It was not like what he had seen on the way to Onn. It was wide, wide . . . at least five hundred meters. The roadbed was a smooth, unbroken gray with its edge some one hundred meters from each lip of the Wall. Rock pillars at man height marked the road's edge, stretching away like sentinels along the path Leto would use. Idaho walked to the far side of the Wall opposite the Sareer and peered down. Far away in the depths, a hurtling green flow of river battered itself into foam against buttress rocks. He looked to the right. Leto would come from there. Road and Wall curved gently to the right, the curve beginning about three hundred meters from the place where Idaho stood. Idaho returned to the road and walked along its edge, following the curve until it made a returning "S" and narrowed, sloping gently downward. He stopped and looked at what was revealed for him, seeing the new pattern take shape. About three kilometers away down the gentle slope, the roadway narrowed and crossed the river gorge on a bridge whose faery trusses appeared insubstantial and toy like at this distance. Idaho remembered a similar bridge on the road to Onn, the substantial feel of it beneath his feet. He trusted his memory, thinking about bridges as a military leader was forced to think about them-passages or traps. Moving out to his left, he looked down and outward to another high Wall at the far anchor of the faery bridge. The road continued there, turning gently until it was a line running straight northward.

There were two Walls along there and the river between them. The river glided in a man-made chasm, its moisture confined and channeled into a northward wind drift while the water itself flowed southward. Idaho ignored the river then. It was there and it would be there tomorrow. He fixed his attention on the bridge, letting his military training examine it. He nodded once to himself before turning back the way he had come, lifting the light rope from his shoulders as he walked. It was only when she saw the rope come snaking down that Nayla had her orgasm.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Thank you.
I, too, reached my orgasm once your post snaked down the page.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Thank you.
I, too, reached my orgasm once your post snaked down the page.

It's because, upon seeing the post snake down, you knew we'd be together.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I watched Free Solo the other day and El Capitan is about the same height, so if you want the authentic dune orgasm you can also watch that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Benagain posted:

authentic dune orgasm

Dusty and dry

A puff of salty, rancid wind

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So Dune and Arrested Development kinda have the same energy in my opinion , who would the characters align with?

Is Alia Lindsey Bluth?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I may have committed some light kanly.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
<Don't insert hand, pain inside>

Paul: *inserts hand* well I don't know what I expected.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Arrakeen Palace looking good.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So Dune and Arrested Development kinda have the same energy in my opinion , who would the characters align with?

Is Alia Lindsey Bluth?

Alia is Maebe. Lucille is the reverend mother. Sweet Feyd is buster.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

Moneo feels like Uncle Oscar

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

"He gives water to the dead!"
"Taste the sadness, Jamis"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

“Is there worm sign?”
“I know what an erection is, Paul.”

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TK-42-1 posted:

GOB is Rabban, Annyong is Feyd, Buster is the result of an Ixian program to create a No-Heir

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I've invented a new scientific discipline that combines astrophysics and ecology, which I call "astrology."

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
George Michael is Farad'n, Maebe is Ghanima, Les Cousins Dangereux is just that dumbass tiger-murder plot

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dave Thomas as Mr. F(enring)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Anyone remember these clowns